Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is the Purpose of Gantz?

Banned 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the Purpose of Gantz?

Quote Originally Posted by GAT-X252 View Post
    In fact, it seems he goes after people who are about to die..but sometimes they don't die like Kishimoto...and then it's all f'ked up XD

I don't think is a simulation, IMO is like a game...the "Aliens" like to watch us fight with those strange beings or they just want to mess with us...XD

I think they are too evolved, they should see us just like we see the insects...
    if they had such low regard for us and were far superior why dont they simply just conquer?

Why not just implant bombs in anyone's head? Or copy people that are still alive? It's not like the human population is going to go down much anyway.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member GAT-X252's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO is a game, and we are the players...maybe they just like to watch and have fun, ¿why conquer us?

Maybe at the end there is a reward for the top player.
    (キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!)

心臓がドキドキドキドキ!!!!

06/25/09 - Goodnight Sweet Prince

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheGenius's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKYHOUSE!! View Post
    if they had such low regard for us and were far superior why dont they simply just conquer?

Why not just implant bombs in anyone's head? Or copy people that are still alive? It's not like the human population is going to go down much anyway.
    Why would they? They seem to work with limited results and cannot be involved. Kind of like the movie Constantine, where the angels and the demons can only "suggest" stuff. He had to convince Izumi to go on a rampage and bring a lot of people in, but very discreetly.

And my post was deleted? Haha, funny.
    President Netero/My D-A account!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member georgemarvin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nishi said something about an alien invasion and the end of the world, and he repeated it on his website. But he's not exactly known for his truthfulness. Besides, any information he had probably came from Gantz himself. Gantz looks at least as alien as any of the targets. He has weaponry and machines that are as far above our level of technology as we are above a caveman. That means he isn't a government project, he is just too far beyond our abilities. He's probably an alien himself. If he was a time traveller, he would have the death records of people, so he wouldn't accidentally make copies of people who weren't dead. Nishi mentioned one, and mishikoto was another.
    The case with Tae showed that there are probably a lot of rules we don't know about; he needed her memory erased, but couldn't do it while she was alive, so he had her killed, stored her in memory, then when Kei used his points to bring her back, he finally managed to erase the memories. I don't know whether he just took pity on Kei, or if he had to store her in the memory because he isn't allowed to kill living humans.
    Gantz enjoys the hunts. He plays deadly games with the players' lives, like sending Kei out all by himself to kill dozens of aliens. Or telling Kei he has to get 15 points or die. The timer is another way to provoke the action.
    When Gantz gets bored, people die. He sent Izumi to kill hundreds of people just so he could get a few new recruits.
    The verdict: Gantz is evil.
    The aliens don't really seem evil. They usually say something like "we didn't do anything to you. Why are you killing us", in one form or another, except Nuri. Some of his followers did say "Gibe Back Ou Rand", meaning that Gantz had taken something from them to start the fight. Another group put their hands behind their heads and said "Bleaze Hulp Uz" before they were slaughtered. The big onion alien asked for forgiveness. The little alien that killed Kei's classmates said that Gantz had started it, and he was just seeking vengeance and justice.
    The vampires have been targeted by Gantz in the past, but they aren't aliens. Kei's brother became one. They seem to be earthly creatures.
    Even Gantz doesn't call Nuri an alien. He's a target, but he could very well have earthly origins.
    I don't think the aliens, vampires and other creatures that Gantz targets are as big of a threat as Gantz himself. None of them did anything until they were targeted. The onion alien had a post box with his name on it, the second target bought lots of chocolate every day at the local shop. He attack until Nishi shot one of the little birds. Then he was as mad as a parent whose child had been murdered. Which he apparently was. The third was guarding a temple. They only fought after Gantz sent a team to kill them. On the other hand, Gantz booby-traps people, forces them to fight, makes sadistic rules, blows the heads off anybody who tries to go home, sends people into battle totally unprepared, etc.
    At the rate it's going, we'll all die of old age before Oku decides to give us explanations of most of the mysteries. If he ever does, I don't see any way Gantz can be the hero of the story. He is either an accomplice or the master villain.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

It's safe to say the concensus is that gantz doesnt have much morals when it comes to humans. He treats humans like lab rats or cattle. There is no feeling of finality in the story unless everyone finds out the truth of gantz and goes after gantz himself.

What's interesting to me is that at least kurono is aware the gantz apartment is and he's actually located it by himself. He needs to somehow remove the bomb from his head and bomb that apartment or something. This could be done by freeing yourself from the game and keeping a written diary to tell yourself about gantz and to destory him. Sad thing is...even then there might be other gantz balls in different areas too....I think there are anyways.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheGenius's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting GM, I like the time traverler theory.

But Nishi said that the Aliens were in a war on earth, and they invaded a Earth slowly. Which could link these mythical figures to the current aliens. Maybe Gantz is indeed a time traveler, trying to prevent a uproar, a planned attack or a great surge in the alien population. For all I know, true, his method are quite radical and on the verge of being completely humanless. But it is still a chance for people(minus Kishimoto) that were suppose to die, to have another chance at living. Which is quite valuable and also is a fair trade.

Could you post your thoughts of an ending here?
    President Netero/My D-A account!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member maraxusofk's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKYHOUSE!! View Post

Though this idea might seem 'out there' to some of you it is evidensed by the very fact that Gantz has NEVER taken in any person that has not been killed. For one reason or the other Gantz can ONLY make hunters from people that died. The reason I implicated a code of ethics for Gantz is because this is a reasonable explanation as to why gantz only seems to copy bodies of dead people. Gantz has shown that he has the technology to copy people, but he NEVER goes after people that are still alive!

Though the gantz is advanced in science his/their morality is probably very skewed. Gantz must have some arbitrary definition on what life is considered precious and what isnt. Apparantly a clone's life isn't worth much to Gantz people. In any case, I have strong reason to believe gantz is adhering to a code of ethics for what end Im not exactly certain.
    i dont think forcing the gantz team to hunt a living person (tea) that is close to one of the team members no less is exactly moral. hell that would make gantz a hypocrite because although he doesnt take in living people, he forces people to hunt OTHER living people.
    Fighting games are an addiction. Winning is the cure.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maraxusofk View Post
    i dont think forcing the gantz team to hunt a living person (tea) that is close to one of the team members no less is exactly moral. hell that would make gantz a hypocrite because although he doesnt take in living people, he forces people to hunt OTHER living people.

i think tae might really be a creation of gantz, just like kurono (this is a speculative plot twist). Kurono is 'special', so are the people around him (tae, akira)

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

When Izumi killed all those people he said Gantz was looking for some stronger people to add. or did Gantz himself display that? at any rate it wasn't everybody Izumi killed. and some were old, some were schoolgirls. So it wasn't all the most fit. Yet Izumi, Kaze, the psychics, and the 4 black americans all went automatically. It can't be a coincidence that they went to the black ball room as they all are rarity's in Shibuya and had to be among the most powerful/fit of those killed. Maybe there was a cap on how many he could take.

Other's who are taken it seems there death time just has to coincide with the mission fairly closely (the baby). He seems to take a lot of large breasted women (Reika, Kishimoto, Sei), Those killed together in groups (families, Kei and Katou, the psychics, the black americans, Pretty boy and Sadako). And he liked to have a pet though we don't know what killed them (dog, panda). Of course Oku just liked to diversify his manga with these characters. Why wasnt Kei taken the second when he died right before the mission? Izumi was. I think in the previous mission Gantz was really damaged which is why they're all visible. Maybe they're being moved over to the Osaka ball permenantly, and he couldnt take on any new people (except HS and Girl vamp who broke in). Then again he was still good enough to wish those back from the dead.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hellas Spectrum's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenYoshimaster View Post
    When Izumi killed all those people he said Gantz was looking for some stronger people to add. or did Gantz himself display that? at any rate it wasn't everybody Izumi killed. and some were old, some were schoolgirls. So it wasn't all the most fit. Yet Izumi, Kaze, the psychics, and the 4 black americans all went automatically. It can't be a coincidence that they went to the black ball room as they all are rarity's in Shibuya and had to be among the most powerful/fit of those killed. Maybe there was a cap on how many he could take.
    yea gantz himself said that as izumi showed kurono a small black ball with the message.

maybe gantz was getting a team ready for the upcoming Nurarihyon mission or maybe gantz was tired of watching a one man Kurono team and decided to contact an old tokyo member to get recruits.

the most people gathered in a room was like 12-13 i believe...i could be wrong though.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dynatious's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems obvious to me that GANTZ is "summoning" these aliens to earth for the sake of mankind. If this manga is taking place in modern times, the world is currently in a state of impending crisis, whether it's natural or manmade destruction, the world is most likely nearing its end. GANTZ is bringing/creating these aliens on earth in hopes of bringing the human race together, by giving it a common enemy.

At the beginning of the manga, in the first mission, we saw how the people involved were divided by their beliefs (the people following the priest guy and the others) and we know that it resulted in the loss of life. The GANTZ'ers teamwork has been advancing throughout the manga as the opponents get tougher and tougher. GANTZ even gives us a reminder of how important teamwork is in the most recent mission. Oka the "strongest human" was indeed strong, but he lacked in one department; teamwork. That is why Nuri sought him out after their fight and killed him.

that's all for now, i will return with more thoughts tomorrow.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner putopooche's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

im believing that gantz is an advance technology from the past.. like our true history.. our past is full of mystery.. so i think the the old past human's created gantz.. they create gantz to annihiliate the allien's.. I guess alliens are also made by old past humans to experiment god like powers and to make them immortal .. And they failed.. so they create gantz to exterminate alien.. i also have a guess about those vampire's but i wont put it here ..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 293 Discussion/294 Prediction Thread

theory:

Something is trying to wipe out humanity because humans are selfish and dangerous. Like possibly it's humanities time to go because another thinking/speaking creature (alien) does not like us. It's kind of a mad scientist concept; something is turning humanity on top of itself.

This current mission uses humans own creations and expressions of art to wipe them out. That's a slap in the face. It makes sense catastrophe would be nuclear weapons because they are mankinds most powerful creation. I think catastrophe would involve something else, but if mankind uses nukes on itself the mad scientist (whatever it is) would be quite successful.

Now gantz is mankinds only hope to stop this. Kurono is the perfect being to play his part and do something about it, he's ready... and he has Katou & Nishi who will help. Katou and Nishi are opposites, but still useful.

The only problem is no one has control except for the mad scientist puppeteer, pulling all the strings so far. After catastrophe the culprit(s) might be exposed and humanity might have a chance for control. After the problem is taken care of people might think in a more positive less destructive manner. Throughout history we've gone from controlling and warring, to smarter yet more peaceful people stepping up for control. So, Gantz is forcing a change and giving a chance.

Possibilities who might be the puppeteer/mad scientist:
    humans
    aliens
    vampires
    god (or something very powerful like Nuri's great grandfather)
    Last edited by cassaruby; March 05, 2009 at 12:23 PM.

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

u realy think the sick bastard gantz wants peace it is a nice theroy though lol gantz lol smiled wen the fag nd the gurl died on the gantz esp on dvd
    im a hero got damn it nothing can beat me-by kei

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

not saying this is a mastermind exactly. it could be natural that something tries to wipe out humans, infact probability is something will (based on history of the Earth).

Armigidion would be sweet, but too biblish, which wouldn't be all that bad. But I hope Oku makes his own ending and doesn't use religion.

woohoo 100 posts.
    Last edited by cassaruby; March 05, 2009 at 12:45 PM.

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast