Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sports Hang-Out Thread!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity The Boff's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sport Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki-dono
    There's a difference between a "little" abusive and "a lot" abusive, which is what I went through.
    he was a bit...er...sexual towards the players, etc, etc....
    yeah i probably fall under the "sometimes abusive" category.
    WHOA??? holy shit.. just kick him in the nuts! HARD!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tanuki-dono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoffenJL
    yeah i probably fall under the "sometimes abusive" category.
    WHOA??? holy shit.. just kick him in the nuts! HARD!
    Alas. If I were the same confident girl then that I am now, I would have done much more than that. For starters, I would have gone up in the pyramid of authority when he banned us from drinking water during conditioning. (That's actually really dangerous!) But it's hard to explain...all of us were timid and caught in this...psychologically disturbing fog, maybe? I can't precisely describe it in words...

I bet you're a tough coach, but I doubt you're abusive. The best coaches I've had have, consequently, worked me the hardest. As long as the coach is secure and trustworthy, working hard and getting in trouble is bearable.
    Comic or Manga I'm Reading at the Moment = Vampire Fetish

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brede's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Alas. If I were the same confident girl then that I am now, I would have done much more than that.
    i know what u mean. with hindsight we sometimes go "why didn't i do this or that". that coach sounds to have gone beyond a 'little' abusive. he must belong to the "what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger" camp of thinking.

but wow! you're a real sport nut (meant as a compliment) . reading your post really makes me envious...i'm not much good at sports...In fact, school has left me with a slight phobia of any team sports...i was always the last one picked for teams - basketball, softball, soccer. very bad hand-eye-feet coordination. in my final year...there were only 11 in my class. guess who was the veteran 'Reserve' for all team events? So, i ended up going for track and field events like the sprints. Loved the 100m sprints. But back in those days...we didn't really pay much attention to warm-ups or stretches or such. just get on the track and run your heart out ended up injuring my (L) knee from one sport meet. nowadays i stick to aero/gym work-outs. plan to pick up yoga soon.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brede
    i know what u mean. with hindsight we sometimes go "why didn't i do this or that". that coach sounds to have gone beyond a 'little' abusive. he must belong to the "what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger" camp of thinking.

but wow! you're a real sport nut (meant as a compliment) . reading your post really makes me envious...i'm not much good at sports...In fact, school has left me with a slight phobia of any team sports...i was always the last one picked for teams - basketball, softball, soccer. very bad hand-eye-feet coordination. in my final year...there were only 11 in my class. guess who was the veteran 'Reserve' for all team events? So, i ended up going for track and field events like the sprints. Loved the 100m sprints. But back in those days...we didn't really pay much attention to warm-ups or stretches or such. just get on the track and run your heart out ended up injuring my (L) knee from one sport meet. nowadays i stick to aero/gym work-outs. plan to pick up yoga soon.
    ^^; Sport-nut, huh? Maybe a bit. I'm not so bad anymore, since college started. And in the end, pointless injuries sent me home with my tail tucked. I stick to gym/aero now, too. You mention yoga - I tired it last week! It was actually very nice. Challenging, but a good workout. You have to keep you chest and hips so aligned and hold for so long! :O

As for picking teams, sometimes I didn't get credit. And I'd get picked towards the end in P.E.. I played up age groups with my sister and older peers usually (in teams and such), so my own peers really didn't have a gage on what I could do. It always made me mad and and I wound up catching fire and playing my heart out. Plus, that stuff was based more on popularity, anyways, so I wasn't up there in the picking part. I don't exactly look terribly athletic either. I'm in shape, yes. But I mean, I have muscles and stuff sure, but I was always round and soft, so people thought I wasn't the tomboy sports-girl where I live. Yet, the towns all around always respected me and knew my name. Weird, huh?

But man. I really respect you for doing track! That's hard stuff. (At least, to me.) Shin-splints and all that crap goes along with that sport. And for some reason, I could never run very hard for track. For me to be at my fullest, I had to be chasing soemthing. ^^; I'm such a dork - Sorry to hear about your knee, though. >.< Stretching and warmup is very important. But I'm sure you know that in hindsight, neh? What exactly happened? Did you fall or did it just jam up?

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    And though I don't have the initmate understanding of football (American not soccer) as far as the more specific ruls and plays go, I ADORE watching it. It's very exciting. I watched a lot of college football this last fall.
    Hey, if ever have any questions, Erin, shoot away ^^ ( I'm probably the biggest football-nut on the forums. )

And sorry about the abusive coach; there's definitely too much of that going on. I guess that's what you get when you have so many schools and teams across the country and not enough nice people to take care of these kids. It happens more often than we all would like to believe...

I ran track too myself, Brede. But I didn't like it too much. I mainly did it to get faster for football, but it just bored the heck out of me. No offense. Plus, we had a guy on the team that was worlds better than everybody else, it tended to make me feel a little inadequate back then. I was even happier to get back on the football field and be the "top dog" again, if ya know what I mean (especially my senior year).

Although they did need me to start off a relay race 'cause somebody had to go home. It was for a county championship, and we won, so that was something I never dreamed I'd be a part of - so I still had good memories.

Then there was that one time where I went on the gunshot and ran half the track not knowing there had been a false start... and somebody had to jump out in front of me to tell me to stop XD ( For once, I thought I was in the lead all the way! )

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    Then there was that one time where I went on the gunshot and ran half the track not knowing there had been a false start... and somebody had to jump out in front of me to tell me to stop XD ( For once, I thought I was in the lead all the way! )
    i suddenly remembered a scene from the movie Forest Gump where he was running on the football field and ppl were trying to tell him to stop running...

But I'm sure you know that in hindsight, neh? What exactly happened? Did you fall or did it just jam up?
    yeap. my leg sorta jammed. i didn't fall or anything, just suddenly felt this sharp tug in my (L) thigh and knee and of course pain. it was like a really bad case of cramp. I actually thought that it was just a cramp and after some 'rudimentary' massage, i went back on the track. Something along the lines of 'my team needs me'...rather stupid really since there're much faster ppl on the team anyway 2nd event, sharper tug, worse pain...end of story for my knee. never been quite right since then i decided track was not my thing after all...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yeap. my leg sorta jammed. i didn't fall or anything, just suddenly felt this sharp tug in my (L) thigh and knee and of course pain. it was like a really bad case of cramp. I actually thought that it was just a cramp and after some 'rudimentary' massage, i went back on the track. Something along the lines of 'my team needs me'...rather stupid really since there're much faster ppl on the team anyway 2nd event, sharper tug, worse pain...end of story for my knee. never been quite right since then i decided track was not my thing after all...
    Awww... I'm sorry to hear that. I hate that "mind over body" thing we tend to do. Usually, it winds up being bad for our bodies. >_<

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

^ That is true. But everything requires sacrifice, if you really want it. That's just how life is.

My fingers, for one thing, will probably never be the same again, I jammed them so much playing football... >.< But at least I can still draw XD

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Argh, I broke the door to the computer room with my foot, and now can't play soccer for about 3 weeks...lol
    Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.<br /><br />

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage
    Argh, I broke the door to the computer room with my foot, and now can't play soccer for about 3 weeks...lol
    how did you do that? u can't play football becos your foot is injured or as punishment for breaking the door?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member JeffDoogins's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Verena
    Never liked Football...
    Gotta love Rugby, such a fun sport to watch!
    Cricket is better to play than to watch, unfortunately.
    In school, we're forced to play Badminton (err) Netball (errrreerrr) HRE(Health related exercise =3) Althletics (=3) Dance (>.<) and Gymnastics (>.<)
    Why can't we do something useful, like a matial art? Tut-tut.
    Oh My God! we think along the same lines except the female sport part and i dont mind football (ie soccer) where are you?

any way the best sport in my opinion is rugby league or union, it may just be my kiwi genes speaking out here but i dont care GO THE ALL BLACKS!! KICKASS LIKE LAST YEAR!!

and to the sports i dont like or just plain dont understand.......

Grid iron - the only thing i like about it are the movies ie the replacements or remember the titans. The sport is strange to me because i like games that are almost continuos, not just play for 7 seconds then set up the field again, also all those injuries?! from what? bunch of whooses, in rugby you get spear tackeled drop the ball get up straight away then pin the guy who just tackeled you to the ground....and all that padding used, thats probably what hurts them........

AFL (Australian Football League, not soccer ) - ok i grew up with this sport and understand it pretty well but for the love of god, it is the most energetic and yet boring sport you can come across (except maybe lawn bowls and curling but there not energetic ) . It's aparrently the most aussiest of sports, despite the fact that it originated in Ireland from the game Galic Football. I probably dont like it more because where i am its everywhere, the media just absolutely flood it and heaps of people i know just cant get over it

then the rest of the sports i dont mind as much - baseball, basketball, cricket, ice hockey (i have never ever ever seen a propper game whether it be on television, the internet or the real thing, except of course the 3 mighty ducks movies ) volleyball, tennis, etc

All is fair in Scanlation and Scanlator

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

how did you do that? u can't play football becos your foot is injured or as punishment for breaking the door?
    Well I hurt my foot while breaking the door (I was on a rampage ), so now I can't play soccer cos it hurts lol. I can only watch it on tv and wish I was playing XD

Lesson of this story: Don't break doors by kicking on them!
    Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.<br /><br />

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage
    Lesson of this story: Don't break doors by kicking on them!
    ...erm...how 'bout don't break doors? anywayz, hope your foot gets better real soon!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

...erm...how 'bout don't break doors? anywayz, hope your foot gets better real soon!
    Thanks lol, I just hurt my finger today, it got twisted in a weird position...guess I have to give up basketball for a while as well hahaha...ha...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Rampage, you total nut! Be careful!

New Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast