Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sports Hang-Out Thread!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sport Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bibichan
    Actually, it's a researched fact that badminton is more exhausting than tennis.
    badminton > squash > tennis
    But it's probably subjective as well. I prefer squash.
    I didn't say it was more tiring, I said it was a harder sport to play. I used to play badminton at school all the time, trust me, I know. It's much harder to be good at tennis than badminton.
    Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.<br /><br />

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage-san
    It's much harder to be good at tennis than badminton.
    Amen! I just started playing tennis, took my first lesson a few days ago and boy was it hard XD I like to consider myself good at badminton, since I´ve played it for over 5 years before, and the difference in skill you need is HUGE!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanneK
    Amen! I just started playing tennis, took my first lesson a few days ago and boy was it hard XD I like to consider myself good at badminton, since I´ve played it for over 5 years before, and the difference in skill you need is HUGE!
    I know! I thought I wouldn't suck so much at tennis since I was already pretty good at badminton but it was completely different than what I had expected.
    Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.<br /><br />

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, how long have you been playing now, and was it difficult to learn the basics?
    And what racquet(s) do you use?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Football/soccer very much.. and I love to play it too.
    My fave teams are bayern munich, milan AC, and Juventus.

I like chess but only if i am involved in the game (wel u know, ppl normally dont watch chess match, dont they?

The sport I dont play but i like is basketball (NBA only), and tennis.

Sport I dont like: cricket (boring, isnt it?, and what's that btw?)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Obito's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

What sports you like tends to reflect on where you live, for instance in Europe soccer/football is a very popular sport however basketball and baseball, and american football aren't as popular contrary to the United States.
    I like all those sports though and reading manga about them just makes even better. My favourites include Basketball, Soccer and tennis + a whole lot of others.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

hey, hey how about something starts on June 9th this year

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity rykarreolacr's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Rica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by you_know_who
    hey, hey how about something starts on June 9th this year 
    I hope Italy wins it!!!!
    Kitty Got Wet

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tanuki-dono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

OH, man. There's a reason I stayed away from this topic... I'm going to have to hold back or I'll get too long-winded!

I love sports. They can be good for the mind and the body, if you remove abusive coaches from the mix.

I don't play so many sports anymore, but my favorites to play were softball, volleyball, and soccer.

In softball, I played shortstop and defense was my favorite thing to do, though batting was awesome despite getting my thumb shattered twice and having girls purposely be given the sign to throw at my face. The problem with batting is that when you hit well, not everyone is a good sport about it. And giving the sign to hit a girl with a pitch ("Pitch at her") is very unsportsmanlike. I was a very good softball player - good enough to play collegiately, but I didn't. I say this with some reservation, but I was a heck of an infielder. That's just how it was.

Volleyball is tons of fun to play. I was a setter. I was a pretty good volleyball skills player - couldn't spike though. Too short and couldn't jump. I had a killer serve that is called a "floater" - like a knuckle-ball the moves. XD So much fun! I was a good setter at least, though. My passers sucked. They gave me passes far away, super high and spinning like crazy. Still, it's such a fun sport to play, especially the digs and the saves.

Soccer was something I played up till high school - then I picked volleyball. Oh, it was so awesome though. If our school team hadn't been so green, I might have played there. I could dribble well and I played forward, or whatever else you might call that. I had one other friend who was an awesome forward. She could shoot really well. So, I dribbled through all the traffic and she usually shot. Therefore, I wound up usually getting more assists than actual goals. And I always got stuck doign throw-ins and corner kicks for some reason, though I'm not sure why. My big sister was the goalie back then and let me tell you - she was wonderful! She must have had a natural talent for that sort of thing (she was also the catcher in softball and she threw tons of people out to me at 2nd!) - because she could *punt* that ball upfield! Man! And I'd been waay upfield waiting, cause I was the one who knew she could do it. When she punted, it was usually when I scored goals - me vs. goalie. Wow - I didnt' realize how much I missed it. For those of you who find it boring to watch, let me tell you - it's an absolute blast to play!

I did play basketball, but I wasn't very great at it. I had more fun rebounding and catching the ball when people tried to slam it off my legs out-of bounds (their faces when I caught it at my ankles - so very funny!) than I did actually playing. At one point, I shot pretty well, but I wasn't too interested and found it boring to play, so I lost interest and kind of lagged at practicing. Basketball is too repetitive to me. Dribble back and forth. Shoot. Dribble back and forth. Pass. Shoot. Some people live for that, but it's not in my blood.

A sport I wish I'd played > Competitive Swimming! Fun!

Now, I like to actually watch Baseball and Softball. Don't ask me why, I just love it. I hate watching basketball. Everybody "carries" instead of dribbling nowadays and it just seems less about skill now! Those guys are so tall, I think the goal should be raised. Soccer is all right to watch, but I don't watch a lot of it. Now, a sport I adore watching is TENNIS. So very awesome - all those shots and running back and forth. Must take some super skills to play tennis! Ooo! And though I don't have the initmate understanding of football (American not soccer) as far as the more specific ruls and plays go, I ADORE watching it. It's very exciting. I watched a lot of college football this last fall.
    Comic or Manga I'm Reading at the Moment = Vampire Fetish

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh softball.. was it a mixed?
    i played softball back in singapore..but it was all guys..
    our school was a famous one for softball..
    i played 2 matches and won during the southern singapore preliminary..
    one was a close one, and they called me the lucky batter..
    coz i was a newbie.. very2 nervous in the batter box and i never noticed the coach's sign..
    even when i noticed it.. i forgot what the sign meant..
    runner at 3rd, 1 out, and score is 3-3... i suppose he wanted me to bunt i think.. but i couldn't think at all..
    but yeah..i hit.. the ball lobbed a little bit above the pitcher's hand, he can't reach it, and the ball dropped between him and the 2nd base..
    i ran to first.. runner ran home.. they threw at home.. but too late, he was safe..i had enough time to 2nd base..
    and after 2 blunder pitch (he was shocked..).. i ran home we won by 2 points
    corz the coach was mad... it was a real lucky shot...

i had my wrist injured in the 2nd match... we were winning by 35 points or so... they stopped the match just after 6 innings... coz they can't stop us at all (no out, first and 2nd pitcher too tired, no other pitcher left.. they put someone who can't pitch as pitcher then.. ) and the sun is setting.. they gave up.. but yeah.. i was over excited after scoring 1 points.. (i got 2 batting turns in one inning ) and injured my wrist when i bat

we lost at the national finals.. i didn't play during the finals due to that injury..
    Our Bot, who art in IRC, hallowed be thy nick. Thy xdcc come, Thy send be accepted, on our script as it is in normal mIRC. Give us this day our daily manga, and forgive us our leechings. As we forgive n00bs who pestered us a lot. Do not lead us into downtime, but deliver us from Yaoi. AMEN

Puella Magi 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Galth's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

THREE GUESSES WHICH COUNTRY JUST WON THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP FOR SOCCER UNDER 21!!

Yes, right on the first guess, it was THE NETHERLANDS!! ^^

... you saw it on tv? oh, yeah... unfair guess then.

Only a minor thing, the "under 21", but still... now for that World Cup!!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Never liked Football...
    Gotta love Rugby, such a fun sport to watch!
    Cricket is better to play than to watch, unfortunately.
    In school, we're forced to play Badminton (err) Netball (errrreerrr) HRE(Health related exercise =3) Althletics (=3) Dance (>.<) and Gymnastics (>.<)
    Why can't we do something useful, like a matial art? Tut-tut.
    <br /><br />&quot;I&#039;m not bad, I&#039;m just drawn that way!&quot;

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karasu
    ooh softball.. was it a mixed?
    i played softball back in singapore..but it was all guys..
    our school was a famous one for softball..
    i played 2 matches and won during the southern singapore preliminary..
    one was a close one, and they called me the lucky batter..
    coz i was a newbie.. very2 nervous in the batter box and i never noticed the coach's sign..
    even when i noticed it.. i forgot what the sign meant..
    runner at 3rd, 1 out, and score is 3-3... i suppose he wanted me to bunt i think.. but i couldn't think at all..
    but yeah..i hit.. the ball lobbed a little bit above the pitcher's hand, he can't reach it, and the ball dropped between him and the 2nd base..
    i ran to first.. runner ran home.. they threw at home.. but too late, he was safe..i had enough time to 2nd base..
    and after 2 blunder pitch (he was shocked..).. i ran home we won by 2 points
    corz the coach was mad... it was a real lucky shot...

i had my wrist injured in the 2nd match... we were winning by 35 points or so... they stopped the match just after 6 innings... coz they can't stop us at all (no out, first and 2nd pitcher too tired, no other pitcher left.. they put someone who can't pitch as pitcher then.. ) and the sun is setting.. they gave up.. but yeah.. i was over excited after scoring 1 points.. (i got 2 batting turns in one inning ) and injured my wrist when i bat

we lost at the national finals.. i didn't play during the finals due to that injury..
    Wow - sounds exciting! (I didn't play mixed, nope. I played fastpitch all-girls high school ball. I'm considering playing mixed elsewhere, though. They have it available in some places... I miss it so much that I might join a league or something.)

Hehee... Your experience in the batter's box is something I can related to. Signs can be an annoying thing to contend with, especially when the pressure's on. My freshman year, we had an insane coach that liked to change the sign every inning, and during the inning, they changed according to how many outs we had. He was paranoid and often looked like he was dancing rather than giving signs. But he was mentally insane in the end (I'm not kidding) and he got fired, so the years after...I didn't have to deal with it.

You lucky, batter you. A win by 2 points is an adrenaline win - how high was the tension during that last inning? Heh, yeah, the coach probably wanted a bunt, but what you gave worked just as well. Almost like a slap or something, then, haha! That's really fun,though. I bet it's a great memory to have! And the 2nd match - dang! You guys were winning by <i>how</i> many points? 35?! Man, you whooped up on the other team for sure.

Injuries stink, don't they? <s>Gods, I know about that feeling...</s> Maybe you could have helped your team out if your wrist had cooperated!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity The Boff's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki-dono
    if you remove abusive coaches from the mix.
    hey now! sometimes you have to be a little abusive. trust me, ive coached 2 rugby teams (one dudes and one dudettes) and sometimes
    you have to be a hardass... i dont like doing it but sometimes you gotta.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoffenJL
    hey now! sometimes you have to be a little abusive. trust me, ive coached 2 rugby teams (one dudes and one dudettes) and sometimes
    you have to be a hardass... i dont like doing it but sometimes you gotta.
    There's a difference between a "little" abusive and "a lot" abusive, which is what I went through. I agree that you have to stay on people in order to bring out their full potential. But I like consistent strictness.... I hate it when I feel like I'm walking on eggshells, and the rules can twist, bed, and change at any given moment. The coach I'm referring to was mentall unstable. Of that I'm sure. He rocked back and forth when he was upset, he was a bit...er...sexual towards the players, etc, etc....

New Reply
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast