Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Vampire Hunter D. Bloodlust

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity The Boff's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Vampire Hunter D. Bloodlust

Vamp hunter D is one of the best animes ive ever seen.
    cool characters, great music, animation that is just godly, a tragic love story and the list goes on.
    so if youre like me and love Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, write a line or two!

i have also seen the first vampire hunter D. but i didnt like that one as much as bloodlust, it was poorly animated,
    badly voice acted and so on.

誰も知らない 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vampire Hunter D. Bloodlust

The first Vampire Hunter D was superior in story to the second one. The 'bad' animation as you call it is merely a product of the time it was made in. For 1985, that animation is pretty good. And if you're talking about the English voices being bad, then that's always a problem for any anime, especially older ones. The Japanese track is actually pretty good as well.

In either case, I'm not knocking the second movie as it was well done and I did enjoy it. I just don't like it when people say the first wasn't nearly as good because the animation is old. The first one is what got me into anime in general. I own it on DVD, and it's still one of the better anime I've seen.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff
    MANga of Taste - Zindryr's Manga Review Blog - last update 07/29/08
    Looking for a professional freelance or permanent position as a JP->EN translator. If you are looking for one, or know a company that is, then please send me an e-mail or PM here.

Puella Magi 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Galth's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only seen the second movie, so I can't compare them, and I liked it, but in my opinion the voice acting was kinda... unnatural... It matched the lip movement well and such but... seemed a bit dull... (ofcourse, that's how D talks, but Leila was supposed to talk a bit more human imo) >.>

I loved the final attack of that bed-ridden guy - forgot his name <333

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

It's one of the best vampires and monsters movies ever which I saw ! The whole story and characters, and fights are amaizing. And I mean really movie, not only as anime movie, but all in all movie with vampires I would recomend to anybody to watch this ^^

Quote Originally Posted by zindryr
    The first Vampire Hunter D was superior in story to the second one. The 'bad' animation as you call it is merely a product of the time it was made in. For 1985, that animation is pretty good. And if you're talking about the English voices being bad, then that's always a problem for any anime, especially older ones. The Japanese track is actually pretty good as well.
    You know, it's you opinion as it is opinion of BoffenJL ;p I'm with that the first movie is only good, and the second is superb good xD And I mean in a whole as a movie ^^
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity The Boff's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zindryr
    i just think they made it to simple, and with that i mean the character art. i mean compare D in the first and second movie, they hardly look alike. in the first one he's just a pale dude with cloak and hat. in the second one he has a whole bunch of weird things on his armor and whatever, i just tink he looks cooler.

Quote Quote:
    I just don't like it when people say the first wasn't nearly as good because the animation is old.
    dude, that felt like an insult(it probably wasnt ). im a movie maniac and i dont judge on animation and effects. the FIRST thing i take into consideration in every movie ive ever seen is the story. you cant do anything without a story. so thats what take up about 80% of my judgement in both the first and second D movie.
    and i think that the second one was better, you obviously dont. but people are allowed different opinions, so no harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaludh
    I loved the final attack of that bed-ridden guy - forgot his name <333
    Grove, yeah his astral attacks or whetever it is are really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by juUnior
    It's one of the best vampires and monsters movies ever which I saw ! The whole story and characters, and fights are amaizing. And I mean really movie, not only as anime movie, but all in all movie with vampires I would recomend to anybody to watch this ^^
    i totally agree! its definetly higher on the vampire movie list then all the latest hollywood stuff. underworld and all that crap.

the only monster that really annoyed me was the werewolf, why did he have a mouth in his stomach? but ive never seen a movie with a cool werewolf so....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Suzaku's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Regardless, it's not really right to judge an old anime by today's standards of animation.

A discussion topic for the novels the two movies were adapted from would probably be better, as there are well over 20 books in the series, and they're generally better than the movies - they're also full of wonderful art by Yoshitaka Amano.

They've been being translated and released in the US by Kevin Leahy, via Dark Horse and DH Press, for almost two years now. They're up to volume 7.

There's also apparantly been some toying around with the idea of a third movie, based on another one of the novels.

Oh, and it was announced last year that the author of the novels, Hideyuki Kikuchi, has started working on a manga series, to be illustrated by Saiko Takaki, based on the novels, though not much information on them has been announced yet.

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Boff
    the only monster that really annoyed me was the werewolf, why did he have a mouth in his stomach? but ive never seen a movie with a cool werewolf so....
    Yes, it was annoyed, but on the other hand as you said, he was quite intersting with other mouth in stomach muahaha xDxD

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku
    There's also apparantly been some toying around with the idea of a third movie, based on another one of the novels.
    It would be good to see next movie with D, but also it would be really hard to beat that one ^^
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Azurel's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I have watched both the first and second movie but I much prefer Bloodlust. I watched about 3/4 of the first movie before I got bored by it, the animation is of expected from something in 1980s but the storyline was quite disappointing for me.

But the ending for the 2nd movie was quite touching, D was still around and kept his promise to put flower on her grave and that she had found happiness despite of all that had happened back then.

And I think the most funniest of all was that parasite on his hand, he just made me laugh so much, considering it's quite a serious movie. And D of course was just uber cool

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member mitokomon's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched both of them 2 or 3 years ago. I think second was better(can't remember the name -_-') D was cooler and as much as I remember his talking-weird-hand made few jokes(I guess one was about D's dressing style ^^) As Azurel said the movie was quite touching but still better than the first one.
    I found novels in a bookstore but I bought none, since they didn't have first two books T_T I knew the stories weren't completely connected but I prefer to start reading from the beginning...
    edit= I ordered the first one and read it few days ago. It's better than the movie for sure ^^
    Last edited by mitokomon; December 21, 2007 at 05:42 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the first one more. Except that afew parts got alittle slow.

I liked how everything was a monster out to eat the humans. It all just seemed so hopeless.
    They kinda skipped all that in Bloodlust. Wich saddens me :_(

New Reply