Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade of the Immortal by Samura Hiroaki

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blade of the Immortal Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kadoman
    Haha! You got it! Which reminds me, have you seen any manga fight scenes depicted with such brutality as these ones? If you have, tell me the name of the title. I swear, there were a few scenes one or two volumes back that had my stomach doing turns and that's not easy (I like horror too).
    Nope. I'm reading Vagabond at the moment and it doesn't even come close, either - though the art is breathtaking there too. I've only read the first chapter of Berserk so far but that may have some brutality too to match up, though I'm skeptical so far that it'll be just as good a story.

For Blade of the Immortal, I think because the central character is immortal, that's why Mr. Hiroaki Samura feels like he has the freedom to have arms and legs and heads flying everywhere, because his own hero gets just as cut up as the rest of them, so it works with the story - Manji might be the most abused protagonist in all of manga. haha.

I'm not a fan of over-excessive violence, but the art in Blade of the Immortal makes it worth it. Some of the scenes are just done so well.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Post Thanks / Like

you'd think he'd work on his skills being immortal and all, hahhahah
    i wouldn't wanna get cut at all
    beneath the courageous, there is nothing

Itachi's Hat Maker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted kadoman's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    Nope.  I'm reading Vagabond at the moment - snip -

- Manji might be the most abused protagonist in all of manga.  haha.
    I tried to get into Vagabond, but it wasn't doing it for me. Dunno why. This was about 3 years ago, maybe I should try again.

As for Manji being the most abused protagonist, HELL YEAH! I think you hit the nail on the head - because he is able to be as cut up and dismembered as the rest of them, he really has to earn the reader's respect, ya know? Respect is not just granted to him the way it is with every other protagonist (Sasuke being a good example - except, later on, Sasuke takes a big ol' downhill slide, which earns our respect more so, but getting back on track...)

I like the fact that there are loopholes to his immortality. If he gets cut up just enough (gets his head chopped off) he can actually die. Also, it takes time for the worms to weave their magic and put him back together again. And then there's the poison. So, he's still pretty vulnerable. I like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to get into Vagabond, but it wasn't doing it for me. Dunno why. This was about 3 years ago, maybe I should try again.

As for Manji being the most abused protagonist, HELL YEAH! I think you hit the nail on the head - because he is able to be as cut up and dismembered as the rest of them, he really has to earn the reader's respect, ya know? Respect is not just granted to him the way it is with every other protagonist (Sasuke being a good example - except, later on, Sasuke takes a big ol' downhill slide, which earns our respect more so, but getting back on track...)

I like the fact that there are loopholes to his immortality. If he gets cut up just enough (gets his head chopped off) he can actually die. Also, it takes time for the worms to weave their magic and put him back together again. And then there's the poison. So, he's still pretty vulnerable. I like that.
    god the way you described it put it in perspective. he kinda sucks as a kenshi thank god the worms are there

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx Gold Knight a fantastic manga although I prefer Vagabond but still excellent the second suprising manga after Death Note.
    Im Himmel keinen zweiten.My english is really bad.Building the Future and keeping the Past alive is one and the same thing. Solid Snakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Post Thanks / Like

the way it changes plots from what i thaught was going to happen, sorta keeps me wide eyed,
    but it's hard to keep the __________ up

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

It gets much better in the second and third volumes and from there it gets pretty exciting. But I'll have to admit the art was really what kept me going, not the story.

Quote Quote:
    Well, that depends on how Sasuke climbs back from his slide, but yeah, I know what you mean - the main problem (probably the only one) is Manji is pretty much static as far as character development goes, but I guess that's where Rin and other supporting characters in this series come in. Manji's pretty much the rock of the series.

Quote Quote:
    I agree. It would make for a very boring story otherwise if nobody could beat him. At times I still feel like he has an unfair advantage over others (Magatsu for example) but I try not to gloss too much over it =/

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

great find. just finished the first 3 volumes. im downloading the 4th now =)

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! Another convert! Ha!

I'm baffled as to why this manga isn't more popular actually. OK, so it's not exactly kiddie friendly (or female friendly) but it's top quality story telling and art. I would have expected it to garner a bit more of a 'cult' following at least. I hardly ever see it mentioned on forums and most haven't heard of it. It's easily obtainable in the shops too. I dunno what to make of that.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably a lot of factors - 1. Dark Horse comics aren't as heavily advertised as Marvel or DC, 2. while it's originally manga, it's been re-done for left to right reading which might scare some manga fans off, 3. Also it's not your typical manga, it looks as close to an American comic as I've ever seen, except in black and white. Also, the first volume didn't immediately grab me, it got better for me with volume 2.

Anybody who doesn't pick this up, it's their loss though.

Welcome to the club, briofreez.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    3. Also it's not your typical manga, it looks as close to an American comic as I've ever seen, except in black and white. 

Do ya think so?  In what ways? 

For me, one of the things that makes it stand out from American comics (but not from other manga) is the typically casual, relaxed and realistic posture of the characters (as opposed to many American characters who are drawn posing or flexing or in any way that's not natural).  I would have thought this more reaslistic portrayal of people makes it wildly different to American comic art, but that's just my opinion (and I'm not very knowlegable on American comics).

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, historically speaking, American comics go with realism a lot more than manga - they may have a lot of exaggerated anatomical art now (which I hate), but that was something that kind of became a trend in the last decade. Manga go with "cute characters" a lot, best example I can think of is Chobits, and a lot of the manga we read ( Naruto, Bleach, etc. ) are somewhere in-between.

Actually, BotI reminds me a lot of old-time Wolverine comics. In a lot of ways, Manji and Wolverine are similar - they're both tragic heroes and they can recover from any kind of injury. Frank Miller's art was also pretty similar in some ways (though the art in BotI is in its own class.) But as far as plot and story go, Japanese comics are definitely more consistent. Writers and artists change hand all the time in American comics which I think is what ruins the industry sometimes. So BotI is kind of like what I would have liked to see in Wolverine comics, just more consistency and plot.

But yeah, BotI is something I wouldn't have any problems introducing fellow fans of American comics to ( in fact I just did a few weeks ago at another forum )

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

oh man, I love this mangga. Its like Ruruoni kenshin + the gory stuff in ninja scroll but better 
    I have to stop myself from reading it so I can do my work hehe. Can you guys help me? Ive already finished Vol 12, but could not download 13 onwards from the same site. Are there any other places where I can get this aside from mIRC? Thanks a lot.

I like the fact that Manji is not the best sword fighter out there, hes always being cut up.
    Spoiler show
    Sorry, cant find the Spoiler tag 

I tagged it for you , it's... - K
    Code:
    Spoiler show
    Code:
    Spoiler: text on the spoiler button show

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry mate, can't help ya with that one. GK is the expert on downloads.

But yeah, there are some paralleles with RK. I like both manga for different reasons. RK is very much a character study (which is not to say it doesn't explore some important life themes through Kenshin) but I think Blade is more concerned with developing some pretty high concept themes (revenge v forgiveness, honour v dishonour etc). Its characters also develop though, which is good (I think Anotsu does it for me for character development, I mean, my opinion of that guy has changed so many times...just when I think I've nailed him, he does something different).

Oh and GK, I see where you're coming from now - I must admit to not following the X-Men comics, just the movies! And they're awesome!

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

No clue, briofreez. But try downloading vol 13 again from that site, it might work next time. That server has hiccups sometimes. If that doesn't work, it looks like your only option then would be to try mIRC or get a friend that can use it to transfer the files over to you.

New Reply
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast