Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade of the Immortal by Samura Hiroaki

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blade of the Immortal (Mugen no Juunin) by Samura Hiroaki

Quote Originally Posted by Nagashiwa View Post
    I think 32 volumes in total.

But vol. 28 has still an unknown date! but I hope that one will be there this year!!
    Oke tanks!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Nagashiwa's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

talking about the devil we got a DATE

28発売予定:2011年10月21日
    予価:570円(税込)

YATTA!!!!

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

wow! thats awesome, cant wait till october. but no cover yet, try googling but no luck.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Nagashiwa's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

cover will be uploaded soon enough.. ^_^

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started following Blade of the Immortal recently. My goodness, the art style is beautiful. The characterization is also top-notch. There's not really one character I don't like in the series.

I actually wrote about the series at http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/967...al-immortality

Reading this made me think about Highlander. I'm actually wondering if Manji can even achieve his goal in the end....

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blade of the Immortal by Samura Hiroaki

I would be willing to believe that Manji will be able to die, in the end. However the story ends, protecting Rin will be redemption enough. I believe the witch will remove the kessen chu and allow him to die in peace. I do wonder if he will die in the end or be able to live a normal, violence free mortal life.

My favorite characters are Anotsu and Rin. If Blade of the Immortal is about the role of death in modern society than Rin and Anotsu best personify the philosophical struggle between modernity and mortality. The three scenes where they meet contain some of the best philosophical dialog in all of manga. These two characters best personify the contradictions and conflicting views modern societies have of medicine, the military, honor, law enforcement, and capital punishment. Since Samura is not so trite as to try and pass judgment, Anotsu and Rin are mirrors into our own views of death and it's place in our institutions.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I would be willing to believe that Manji will be able to die, in the end. However the story ends, protecting Rin will be redemption enough. I believe the witch will remove the kessen chu and allow him to die in peace. I do wonder if he will die in the end or be able to live a normal, violence free mortal life.

My favorite characters are Anotsu and Rin. If Blade of the Immortal is about the role of death in modern society than Rin and Anotsu best personify the philosophical struggle between modernity and mortality. The three scenes where they meet contain some of the best philosophical dialog in all of manga. These two characters best personify the contradictions and conflicting views modern societies have of medicine, the military, honor, law enforcement, and capital punishment. Since Samura is not so trite as to try and pass judgment, Anotsu and Rin are mirrors into our own views of death and it's place in our institutions.
    I loved the interactions between Rin & Anotsu. Rin had all the chances in the world to take Anotsu out, here and there. But, she didn't. I like what Anotsu said about her being just like the Itto-Ryu if she killed him. Rin is still somewhat naive about many things and I like how her encounters with Anotsu seem to make her edgy. Two very compelling characters.

That would be interesting if protecting Rin would be all that's needed to remove the kessen-chu. Killing 1,000 evil men takes a long time and all Manji's been doing is taking part in Rin's revenge.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally caught up with this manga and I love it. I'm thinking of getting another part time job so I can afford to buy all the volumes.

My favorite part of this manga is the relationship between Rin and Manji and there interactions. When I get to liking characters like I do for Rin and Manji, I could just read an entire volume of them sitting around drinking tea and talking about stuff.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    My favorite part of this manga is the relationship between Rin and Manji and there interactions. When I get to liking characters like I do for Rin and Manji, I could just read an entire volume of them sitting around drinking tea and talking about stuff.
    Rin & Manji seriously need to get a room together. They are sooo in love with each other. Then again, I feel Anotsu & Makie are the same.

MH's Most Fashionable Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Shinsatsu's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

In my Opinion, Blade of the immortal story is better than Vagabond's. It quickly became one of my favorites after reading most of it. I can't wait for the next release. BTW, is it a monthly chapter release manga? or it comes out in volumes?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Vespertine's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

hey, im new to this forum and manga (reading first volumes actually), but really excited to catch up to japan's rythm.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Which one is your fav pairing/possible pairing in this manga? Top three are undoubtedly Anotso+0-maki, Manji+Rin and Giichi+Hyakurin. I personally can't decide

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    That's some interesting points you've made here. Since you didn't elaborate on how anotso and rin mirrors the contradictions in society, i'm not too sure about what you exactly meant. I personally don't think Blade of the Immortal actually aims to be a philosophical writing, rather its such a well-written one that it'd naturally portray the elements of philosophy through different characters. After all philosophies are born out our lives right?

In any case, when talking about philosophical aspects in the manga...i wonder if you downplayed Manji a little when you said Anotso and Rin are your favorite ones due to their 'personification of philosophical struggle between modernity and mortality'. Also i wonder if Samura-sensei is really not 'passing judgement'. For i feel that Manji is Samura's hidden answer to the contradictions,not in the sense that he's always the one with the right answer,or one that the writer thinks to be right,but in the sense that he's the outsider among the mortals. He started searching for mortality for the same reason mortals search for immortaliy...to escape from pain. And now he's wondering what could be the reason behind his immortaliy...will the answer to somehow tied to the answer of reason of mortal life?

As for the ideals behind justice and revenge and military, i wonder if Samura isn't cleverly favoring something akin to Stoicism through Manji. In that case,his foil would be Shira.

Country
    Syria
    Post Thanks / Like

vol 26 is out
    http://www.mangastream.to/blade-of-t...41-page-1.html

I SAW IT YESTERDAY , BUT MAYBE IT HAS BEEN OUT FOR A LONG TIME

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Lazarai's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sup all, I'm new to this forum!

Just wanted to drop thanks to the generous people who post raws and summaries in this thread to keep the rest of us updated. I've been following this manga for years now, and this most recent lull in popularity and online support has been painful. I'm stoked to have somewhere to go to check up on Manji and Rin every month or two!

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    In any case, when talking about philosophical aspects in the manga...i wonder if you downplayed Manji a little when you said Anotso and Rin are your favorite ones due to their 'personification of philosophical struggle between modernity and mortality'.
    Though I found Anotsu's philosophy (and Rin's foil) to be well articulated, I agree insofar as that Manji probably deserves a little more credit for his position in the grand scheme.
    The tangle of revenge that Anotsu, Rin, Habaki and Shira had gotten themselves into makes it easy to let someone as untouchable as Manji slide out of the big picture. He's more like a spectator to the huge network of sin that is the plot.
    I think, ultimately, that's the very point of BotI.

Every single cast member of this manga has done something that has made terrible repercussions for the others. There is a shocking complexity to the chain-reaction among the characters where everyone seems to have hurt or inconvenienced someone else just in the act of living. Manji said as much himself. No-one is immune to the acts of others, no matter what philosophy you plaster on top of your actions to justify them (or lack of philosophy, thank you Shira).

There is only one character that appears immune to that, and that is the one person who isn't technically living.
    So though morality may seem like the message of BotI, I get the impression that the underlying theme is very much about mortality instead.

... Top three favourite pairings, eh?
    Manji + Rin without a doubt (Samura has worked hard with that relationship... whatever it is). HyakurinxGiichi and DoaxIsaku give me warm fuzzies as well.
    ... anyone else getting Magatsu+Ryo vibes?
    Last edited by Lazarai; September 16, 2011 at 03:16 AM.

19. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read upto shira's death last night. His last dialogues sounded pretty odd to me, out of the character. Why would he advise the boy, and why would he call himself evil? Then nagato's lines sounded out of character too. Was he ever the wise type fella? I didn't think so, but then he suddenly started talking like one. I've forgotten the name of the kid, but his characterization was really cool...but i feel that Samura somewhat bent the other characters to shape up this kid's character.

New Reply
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast