Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade of the Immortal by Samura Hiroaki

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member IamJacky's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blade of the Immortal by Samura Hiroaki

What a freaking chapter. 2 (or is it 3?) more chaps to go and it is the end. As far as prediction goes, I have to say that I somehow knew what was going to happen ever since the fall of Abayama & the new bloods, it became clearer that most key characters would die when Makie exited a few chapters ago, but the way Samura depicted these scenes were simply way more powerful and emotional than I anticipated, it was emotionally immense and still full of surprises even when I kinda knew what would go down; even the title of this chapter is powerful/beautiful, which borrows a phrase from Confucius Analects "未知生, 焉知死? While you do not know life, how can you know death?" BTW it was actually the passcode to get on board for the security question "Dare I ask of death?". I have always imagined the ending of Anotsu losing one of his arms and he'd move on alone... but this chapter proved me wrong, it was done beautifully though, I can totally accept that (I mean look at those 4 panel shots as he smiled, even he accepted it alright).

The only remaining conclusion yet to be seen is the fate of Manji and Rin. Manji had warned Rin before never to risk her life for him ever again because to Manji's perspective she should not have done so for a bodyguard, I think he is very likely to leave Rin after this whole ordeal - or - through whatever reasons, Rin will convince Manji that they are not just bodyguard-the guarded relationship and there is a reason to stay together, I doubt they'd become lovers/couple though. Blah, I wouldn't mind either way.

Most of the key characters who passed away by now have done so in order to fulfill their purpose/duty/goals in life, though tragic for they had to die, most of them did so for causes and ideals they believed in, and so their deaths/endings were duly justified. I'm most concerned with Manji's fate though. Through out the whole series his purpose was to protect and help Rin, and now that all is done, I wonder what'll happen next... Does he still want to die as he initially wished for (like 19 years ago)? What happens to the "Slay 1000 evil men and immortality is dispelled" pact? At this point I don't think there is any reason for Manji to choose to go back to that route, but then I don't know what he will do next neither. I think it's safe to say that his new purpose is Rin, but to live forever with her and never age? that wouldn't make much sense either... so maybe he'll do something to lose his immortality and just stay with Rin.

Rin has now finally avenged her parents. I think she will head back to Edo and look after Renzo? Or in the perfect world she'll end up with Manji forever after (which to be honest, would be kinda lame). Magatsu will probably hang around with Master Sori, or maybe become a vagabond. He did kill a lot of samurais in the Edo castle though, not sure if he'd meet his demise because of that. Giichi and Hyakurin, they okay.

Wait, maybe somehow Manji will have his immortality dispelled, and then killed by Renzo? Maybe that'd teach Rin the lesson that revenge is not the right path. I don't know, can't think of any satisfying ending, but I'm sure Samura-san will conclude the series with a spectacular ending. Looking forward to the next few chaps!

---------- Post added November 01, 2012 at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was October 31, 2012 at 01:15 AM ----------

So after a few more reads and Google Translate. I think I kind of get what Manji and Anotsu exchanged. I studied a little bit of Japanese in the past and here's my take, any correction is welcomed, I too really want to know what are the final words of exchanges from Anotsu and Manji.

At the beginning of the chapter, Anotsu was shown having his arm cut off.

Anotsu: "It feels nice..." "To be fighting to the last bit of strength.... wouldn't it be nice if I could just rest here..." *look at Manji* "are you not going to finish me off?"

Manji drops his sword and asks what the reason is that Anotsu made Rin bring him here to join this final showdown.

Before Anotsu could start talking in details, the ships came, and cut to the boarding scene.

At boarding, the Chinese shipmen asked the same secret question they asked Douma, which was a phrase from Confucius Analects: "Dare I ask what death is?"

Anotsu answered accordingly. The shipmen asked if Anotsu enjoyed the Analect, Anotsu says no, and said something about the government (bakufu) which I could not understand. The shipmen told Anotsu that Makie is dead, does he still want her on board, and Anotsu says yes please. Then the ship men asked if there were any more people, Anotsu said yes there should be one more (I think he meant Magatsu or Ozuhan), but moments later he said that it'd be just him and Makie.

Then came Manji.

Anotsu: "If you don't kill me now, I wonder when would be the next time we meet."
    Manji (mockingly): "You really think you're going to be fine traveling through the sea with a body like that huh."
    Anotsu: "Doesn't matter how many years or decades, my children and their children.... we will come back to this country. Then, we will once again threaten the strength of this country" (not really sure if that's exactly what he said)
    Manji: "I don't really give a shit what this country will become in whatever years and what you want to do with it. Me and Rin, we just want to forget about you and Itto-ryu, and live on with our lives."

Then Manji raises his right arm and I could not fully understand what he said, but I think he meant that he could have killed Anotsu now, and that he'd tell Rin that he did so and threw him into the sea. I am sure though, Manji is basically letting Anotsu go.

Anotsu was silent. Then Manji says: "Do not ever show up again in front of Rin, understand? you chink-eye!"

Anotsu: "Hehe... no worries. My ordeal with the Asanos was merely a beginning of many things, it is now all in the past.... so, farewell, 100-men killer, man of immortality." Then Anotsu walks away to board.

Manji ponders a bit and realized he forgot something: "WAIT! 'farewell' my ass! you hadn't told me about the reason why you brought us here...!!"

Then Rin came and did the deed.

FLASH BACK

Rin: "What a pitiful man... you did all you could for the bakufu (government), look what you got in return."
    "Remember this, when you arrive at the end of Itto-ryu, no matter how many more people you kill and how many will be killed, just remember that when you come to the conclusion of Itto-ryu, I will be there to kill you, FOR SURE."

FLASH BACK ENDS

Anotsu: "Kuku... I've forgotten what I've said... what a fool I am to think to leave my goals and ambitions to my children.... "

(quick note: one of Anotsu's best quote IMO was when Hyakurin being drunk and sat with a disguised Anotsu and they had a conversation. Anotsu said "those who left the ambition to their children are ignorant, they do not know what their capacity are to achieve things and so they leave it to their children. What can the children do? They can't walk away and they are forced to go on the path they were already given. The worst thing is, if the children too cannot finish what they're give in a life time, they will pass it down to their children. And what if they finish what was given to them? They have no dreams and ideals of their own. It's truly pitiful.")

Then he tells Manji the reason why he asked Rin and Manji to come. He basically wanted Manji to be the witness. He feels mournful that Itto-ryu did not finish what they set out to do, and he questioned whether all they have done in the last 3 years, all that's happened, "Our swords..., did we not change even just a few little things?" He pleaded to Manji to be the witness, to see whether Itto-ryu had any effect to a peaceful time such as theirs.

Manji: "I won't forget it."

Anotsu falls. Chapter ends.

This is my closest interpretation to this chapter and I think I am about 80% right. If anybody who reads Japanese is willing share, it'd be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by IamJacky; November 01, 2012 at 06:04 AM.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Cuba
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgias View Post
    *sign* Even if the story hasn't found his end yet I'm satisfied with most storylines in the manga. - Like the development of Shira, Giichi's pretended future with Hyakurin, the farewell of Doa and Isaku (Oh Jesus!) or the Itto-Ryu-chase during the last volumes. The very ending has already a remarkable advance.

Is it some sort of respect for the manga that no one has any predictions? (; Quite a difference to the more popular and weekly manga.
    Shira's development and his conclusion was perfection. Because of this he became my favorite character. His death really suited someone of his nature, he was a mad dog and a scum who lived only for the amusement of torturing and killing, and his death really justified his sadistic nature. Giichi and Hyakurin were another pair I enjoyed reading, Giichi changed as a person when his son died and tried to become a "better" person by wanting to raise Rin's son, despite her wanting the opposite. So in the end it was good they managed to come to an agreement (SPOILER: I was thinking Giichi was going to die when he was going to fight Makie, in other words not keep his promise to rin, but it seems he managed to kill her)

The battle between Itto-ryu and Bakufu was also well done IMO. Habaki was one tough son of a bitch physically, mentally, idealistically and seeing Anotosu (another sick c*nt )and Itto ryu trying to beat him was interesting. (SPOILER: Anotsu killed him and I'm satisfied, he deserved a beat down as appose to committing suicide. But on the other hand Anotsu deserved to die too and none other than to the hands of Rin)

The author did a good job so far wrapping up their story lines. Anotsu, Giichi and Hyakurin, SHIRAA, rin.. I don't know what he intends to do with Manji but chances are he'll end up with Rin as more than a body guard *lovers*. It's not bad at all if ended like that, it's sort of expected

Anyway..again this has to be one of the best manga's I've read. Really enjoyed it and it sucks that its come to end, but everything eventually comes to an end at some point. unfortunately I can't seem to find another manga like this. I tried Vagabond, Hellsing, and I forgot what else but they pale in comparison to this masterpiece, in my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJacky View Post
    What a freaking chapter. 2 (or is it 3?) more chaps to go and it is the end. As far as prediction goes, I have to say that I somehow knew what was going to happen ever since the fall of Abayama & the new bloods, it became clearer that most key characters would die when Makie exited a few chapters ago, but the way Samura depicted these scenes were simply way more powerful and emotional than I anticipated, it was emotionally immense and still full of surprises even when I kinda knew what would go down; even the title of this chapter is powerful/beautiful, which borrows a phrase from Confucius Analects "未知生, 焉知死? While you do not know life, how can you know death?" BTW it was actually the passcode to get on board for the security question "Dare I ask of death?". I have always imagined the ending of Anotsu losing one of his arms and he'd move on alone... but this chapter proved me wrong, it was done beautifully though, I can totally accept that (I mean look at those 4 panel shots as he smiled, even he accepted it alright).

The only remaining conclusion yet to be seen is the fate of Manji and Rin. Manji had warned Rin before never to risk her life for him ever again because to Manji's perspective she should not have done so for a bodyguard, I think he is very likely to leave Rin after this whole ordeal - or - through whatever reasons, Rin will convince Manji that they are not just bodyguard-the guarded relationship and there is a reason to stay together, I doubt they'd become lovers/couple though. Blah, I wouldn't mind either way.

Most of the key characters who passed away by now have done so in order to fulfill their purpose/duty/goals in life, though tragic for they had to die, most of them did so for causes and ideals they believed in, and so their deaths/endings were duly justified. I'm most concerned with Manji's fate though. Through out the whole series his purpose was to protect and help Rin, and now that all is done, I wonder what'll happen next... Does he still want to die as he initially wished for (like 19 years ago)? What happens to the "Slay 1000 evil men and immortality is dispelled" pact? At this point I don't think there is any reason for Manji to choose to go back to that route, but then I don't know what he will do next neither. I think it's safe to say that his new purpose is Rin, but to live forever with her and never age? that wouldn't make much sense either... so maybe he'll do something to lose his immortality and just stay with Rin.

Rin has now finally avenged her parents. I think she will head back to Edo and look after Renzo? Or in the perfect world she'll end up with Manji forever after (which to be honest, would be kinda lame). Magatsu will probably hang around with Master Sori, or maybe become a vagabond. He did kill a lot of samurais in the Edo castle though, not sure if he'd meet his demise because of that. Giichi and Hyakurin, they okay.

Wait, maybe somehow Manji will have his immortality dispelled, and then killed by Renzo? Maybe that'd teach Rin the lesson that revenge is not the right path. I don't know, can't think of any satisfying ending, but I'm sure Samura-san will conclude the series with a spectacular ending. Looking forward to the next few chaps!

---------- Post added November 01, 2012 at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was October 31, 2012 at 01:15 AM ----------

So after a few more reads and Google Translate. I think I kind of get what Manji and Anotsu exchanged. I studied a little bit of Japanese in the past and here's my take, any correction is welcomed, I too really want to know what are the final words of exchanges from Anotsu and Manji.

At the beginning of the chapter, Anotsu was shown having his arm cut off.

Anotsu: "It feels nice..." "To be fighting to the last bit of strength.... wouldn't it be nice if I could just rest here..." *look at Manji* "are you not going to finish me off?"

Manji drops his sword and asks what the reason is that Anotsu made Rin bring him here to join this final showdown.

Before Anotsu could start talking in details, the ships came, and cut to the boarding scene.

At boarding, the Chinese shipmen asked the same secret question they asked Douma, which was a phrase from Confucius Analects: "Dare I ask what death is?"

Anotsu answered accordingly. The shipmen asked if Anotsu enjoyed the Analect, Anotsu says no, and said something about the government (bakufu) which I could not understand. The shipmen told Anotsu that Makie is dead, does he still want her on board, and Anotsu says yes please. Then the ship men asked if there were any more people, Anotsu said yes there should be one more (I think he meant Magatsu or Ozuhan), but moments later he said that it'd be just him and Makie.

Then came Manji.

Anotsu: "If you don't kill me now, I wonder when would be the next time we meet."
    Manji (mockingly): "You really think you're going to be fine traveling through the sea with a body like that huh."
    Anotsu: "Doesn't matter how many years or decades, my children and their children.... we will come back to this country. Then, we will once again threaten the strength of this country" (not really sure if that's exactly what he said)
    Manji: "I don't really give a shit what this country will become in whatever years and what you want to do with it. Me and Rin, we just want to forget about you and Itto-ryu, and live on with our lives."

Then Manji raises his right arm and I could not fully understand what he said, but I think he meant that he could have killed Anotsu now, and that he'd tell Rin that he did so and threw him into the sea. I am sure though, Manji is basically letting Anotsu go.

Anotsu was silent. Then Manji says: "Do not ever show up again in front of Rin, understand? you chink-eye!"

Anotsu: "Hehe... no worries. My ordeal with the Asanos was merely a beginning of many things, it is now all in the past.... so, farewell, 100-men killer, man of immortality." Then Anotsu walks away to board.

Manji ponders a bit and realized he forgot something: "WAIT! 'farewell' my ass! you hadn't told me about the reason why you brought us here...!!"

Then Rin came and did the deed.

FLASH BACK

Rin: "What a pitiful man... you did all you could for the bakufu (government), look what you got in return."
    "Remember this, when you arrive at the end of Itto-ryu, no matter how many more people you kill and how many will be killed, just remember that when you come to the conclusion of Itto-ryu, I will be there to kill you, FOR SURE."

FLASH BACK ENDS

Anotsu: "Kuku... I've forgotten what I've said... what a fool I am to think to leave my goals and ambitions to my children.... "

(quick note: one of Anotsu's best quote IMO was when Hyakurin being drunk and sat with a disguised Anotsu and they had a conversation. Anotsu said "those who left the ambition to their children are ignorant, they do not know what their capacity are to achieve things and so they leave it to their children. What can the children do? They can't walk away and they are forced to go on the path they were already given. The worst thing is, if the children too cannot finish what they're give in a life time, they will pass it down to their children. And what if they finish what was given to them? They have no dreams and ideals of their own. It's truly pitiful.")

Then he tells Manji the reason why he asked Rin and Manji to come. He basically wanted Manji to be the witness. He feels mournful that Itto-ryu did not finish what they set out to do, and he questioned whether all they have done in the last 3 years, all that's happened, "Our swords..., did we not change even just a few little things?" He pleaded to Manji to be the witness, to see whether Itto-ryu had any effect to a peaceful time such as theirs.

Manji: "I won't forget it."

Anotsu falls. Chapter ends.

This is my closest interpretation to this chapter and I think I am about 80% right. If anybody who reads Japanese is willing share, it'd be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you bro.
    Last edited by InvincibleImmortal; November 01, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DeBaron8's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

So Chapter 218 is out!
    For anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

It looks pretty great, a lot of dialogue, wish I knew what they were all saying...
    I can't wait to see the last one! xD

5. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Things are getting wrapped up here pretty much. This chapter has so many dialogues and really wish someone can come up and translate. Again, out of my sheer passion for the series I've done some translation on my own, which can be erroneous, but I'd say they're about 75% correct. Some of the stuff I admit adding my own interpretation, but only to a certain degree.

Spoiler show

7. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner JonAntilles's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the translation and the download link :-)
    Abayama survived, great no one could forsee this! And it seems the story ends very peaceful after all this conflict.
    I'd say a worthy end to this epic story as far as I can see for now

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redon's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

MUGEN NO JUUNIN 219 RAW (END)

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/N2Q6Z7OJ/

10. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx redon. So, it finally ends and what a journey it was, definitely one of the best mangas i have read to this point

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Nagashiwa's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

and then the journey start again for Manji XD
    But I wonder who that KID is. because she has that dagger o.o from RIN? maybe little kid from RIN?

I hope someone can write down a summary.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Gorgias's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Thx redon. So, it finally ends and what a journey it was, definitely one of the best mangas i have read to this point
    Absolutely. And I can't wait for a translation for this story-based chapter. My phantasy about what's going on in the end: Manji becomes some kind of eternal guardian: fulfilling the endless dream of protecting some one (in place of his murdered sister). But does anyone know a meaning of the hat Manji is wearing? Any hints in other works of Samura? - Cause it looks very unique for the series and, hope I'm not wrong, occidental/american.

And if you didn't get it yet: Samura is obviously planning to release a new series in mid-2013. A little consolation at the end of this beast of a manga.

--- edit ---

Quote Originally Posted by Nagashiwa View Post
    and then the journey start again for Manji XD
    But I wonder who that KID is. because she has that dagger o.o from RIN? maybe little kid from RIN?
    Maybe that's it. Regarding the environment the civilisation seems to have increased - so the story could take place one or two decades after the death of Anotsu. But for what purpose Rin should send her daughter to Manji?
    Last edited by Gorgias; December 25, 2012 at 08:42 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE FINAL CHAPTER *tears* Man this is definitely a bittersweet moment... been following Mugen for like... 15 years? This is no doubt my favorite manga of all time, happy it ends this way... not super happy, not super sad, just... LIFE, in a Manji way.

Here's my take on the translations:

Spoiler show

The Afternoon Cover for the final chapter:

Last edited by IamJacky; December 26, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

15. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Nagashiwa's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!!!

I hope they will add something extra in the volume!~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the very ending takes place 90 years later so we're in the 1870's. The girl is talking about her mother and something about how she was told to give that dagger to Manji if she ever saw him. This is the dagger that Doua gave to Rin to finish carving and was supposed to give it to the man she loves. I think the girl looks a little like Rin, so I figured, along with the dagger, it must be her great-great-granddaughter. It seems Manji recognized the weapon after all those years, though, although his knowledge of it was a bit ambiguous in the story. Regardless, the swastika and flames should ring a bell.
    Last edited by RichanMagic; December 28, 2012 at 01:31 AM.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Cuba
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I call good writing. Epic story, the ending is well wrapped up,
    major credit to the author.

I wish I could view the chapter images though, I tried downloading them from the links posted but my computer froze. Dont feel like trying again

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InvincibleImmortal View Post
    This is what I call good writing. Epic story, the ending is well wrapped up,
    major credit to the author.

I wish I could view the chapter images though, I tried downloading them from the links posted but my computer froze. Dont feel like trying again
    The file is only 6 MB, I think you should try again.

Here is the second to last page, there is just this emotional satisfaction from this picture that I can't put into words. I love the expression of the two, especially Manji's.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

yes that page is awesome, with the liittle details like the hat going from manji's head to that of the kid, and the hand being a simbol of the trust of the kid in her bodyguard. I guess that's the genetics.....^^; and of course Manji's expression. That's the icing on the cake.
    still a bit sad Rin's final scene is one of sadness, but i guess that's unavoidable (Afternoon magazine's cover was such a red herring :P). I like that everything that transpired after is left to imagination, besides that single carving on the blade. That's a very powerful and moving way to put an end to Rin's story.

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast