Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade of the Immortal by Samura Hiroaki

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tanuki-dono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blade of the Immortal Discussion Thread

Ah, you've hit upon what is quite possibly my favorite manga of all time. The first time I cam into contact with it was years ago when my uncle, an American comic artist, brought home a huge box of assorted Dark Horse comic books. "Have at it," he said. So I did, and at the very bottom, I found a couple of singular issues of <i>Blade of the Immortal</i>. They were the original American releases (back when manga was almost never released in graphic novels here in America) by Dark Horse of Makie's story along with the glimpse into Anotsu's past.

So, in the beginning, I was introduced to Anotsu before Manji and Rin. That's probably why he remains, to this day, one of my favorite characters. I was pretty young when I picked up the series, and even though it was violent, I was intrigued by the breathtaking artwork. I've always liked implied lines and more of the impressionistic type of work, so I adored it. Secondly, the characterization reeled me in. The characters grow and develop, and they have so much depth. There's also the complex themes and the questioning of those themes and ideals. Even the most upright of ideals can be tainted by corrupt men. The violence is there, and that may bother some people, but to me it's a very clear portrait of people.
    Comic or Manga I'm Reading at the Moment = Vampire Fetish

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Loved Makie's story and how it related to Antosu - definitely made Anotsu more than your typical one-dimensional "main baddie."

The mix of traditional Japanese drawing and modern sequential art also made an impression on me as well, and... well, you said it all Erin ^_^

Itachi's Hat Maker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted kadoman's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what, something I have always wondered is when Blade of the Immortal is going to be turned into an anime?
    I have heard, years ago that Hirokai Samura has always been against this idea, saying that there is no way an anime would do the manga justice and that it would be too difficult to convey the same tone, atmosphere etc.

While I agree with him there, I don't think the point of any anime is to mirror the manga, rather to produce the same story from a different perspective. I think it's a real shame that such an amazing manga doesn't get animated. Imagine if Gonzo or (my personal favourite) Madhouse got hold of it? I reckon it'd be awesome.

What do you guys think?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't check all the posts (been in the uni library for the past 16hours) but just in case you didn't know, you can read Blade of the Immortal online.

http://groups.msn.com/ATU-BOTI/blade...rtalmanga.msnw

Right hand buddah palm...Left hand buddah fist.....

Country
    British Antarctic Territory
    Post Thanks / Like

You can also get summaries of what's going on in the Japanese chapters from this site.

http://www.z-builder.com/manga/mugen/summaries.html

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ulquiorra
    I didn't check all the posts (been in the uni library for the past 16hours) but just in case you didn't know, you can read Blade of the Immortal online.

http://groups.msn.com/ATU-BOTI/blade...rtalmanga.msnw
    Pretty cool! I'll add it to the first post. Thanks, Ulquiorra

Quote Originally Posted by pokecheck
    You can also get summaries of what's going on in the Japanese chapters from this site.

http://www.z-builder.com/manga/mugen/summaries.html
    Awesome find, pokecheck. I'm afraid to be spoiled though, so I'll pass on reading, but I'll also add it to the first post as well.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by kadoman
    You know what, something I have always wondered is when Blade of the Immortal is going to be turned into an anime?
    I have heard, years ago that Hirokai Samura has always been against this idea, saying that there is no way an anime would do the manga justice and that it would be too difficult to convey the same tone, atmosphere etc.

While I agree with him there, I don't think the point of any anime is to mirror the manga, rather to produce the same story from a different perspective. I think it's a real shame that such an amazing manga doesn't get animated. Imagine if Gonzo or (my personal favourite) Madhouse got hold of it? I reckon it'd be awesome.

What do you guys think?
    I definitely agree that the anime probably wouldn't be able to recapture the same charm and spirit of the art of the manga, but I still would like to see it happen too.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tanuki-dono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think an anime would be possible, but I agree that the story would lose some of its charm... It would have to have absolutley stunning colors and background art to work, in my opinion. Not to mention drop-dead gorgeous music, if possible.

Oh, and thanks a million for the links, Ulquiorra!
    Comic or Manga I'm Reading at the Moment = Vampire Fetish

Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

just wonderin', what's the latest BoTI chapter? i've read all the chapters from mangatraders (up to chapter 111), and wow, it's just incredible.

if i were to choose a favorite character, it would be anotsu. he's the main "villain," but he is such a complex and interesting character. second would be makie, because she completely OWNs just about everyone else in battle.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

130 chapters according to pokecheck's link, but I'm not too sure either. What we do know is there are 18 volumes released in Japan so far, and we only have 15 so far in the U.S. published by Dark Horse Comics.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kyuzo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiroaki Samura doesn't want it to be an anime and thus it most likely never will be. He doesn't want anyone messing with his work, he is very isolationist from the industry. He never makes public appearances or anything like that either, he lives a sheltered mangaka life.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

what's up with the direct download link. Will it be up again?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Arsonist's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally I can continue reading this brilliant manga. I havent read further than vol2 so this is just what i needed. Thanks to everyone who added links to this thead!

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingsenol
    what's up with the direct download link. Will it be up again?
    Maybe... seems like they went down due to inactivity and here I thought Rapidshare links would be forever >.<

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Arsonist's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

does anyone know if there is translations on Vol.16+ ?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ILUVATAR's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

i have read it 'till chapter 114 (i found them through IRC from #lurk) i haven't found any other chapters (translated in english).
    oh and as for the anime thing. think this way, every anime cannot show much or anything of a bloodshead. this manga is FULL of blood and killing so.... it would be difficult to be "tranformed" so that it would be possible to become an anime (well at least this is my opinion)
    *When you laugh, it's as though the world becomes, just a little, a nicer place.
    *Being alone is scary. Solitude is scary.
    *I have rushed here, when i was summoned. Because you were crying. You were sobbing as if you were screaming.
    *The nights that morning will never come doesn't exist.
    *More than anyone could ever admire you, this is the definite truth, I like you...
    *Because you are like the sky, causing me pain in love... because I love you.
    *Did you hear? Did i reach you?

New Reply
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast