Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 93 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Vagabond Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko

Vagabond
    By: Inoue Takehiko
    Genre: Action, Historical
    Serialized In: Morning
    Publisher: Kodansha
    Mangaupdates

Striving for enlightenment by way of the sword, Miyamoto Musashi is prepared to cut down anyone who stands in his way. Vagabond is an action-packed portrayal of the life and times of the quintessential warrior-philosopher—one of the most celebrated samurai of all time!

Vagabond portrays a fictionalized account of Miyamoto Musashi's life, a loose adaptation of Eiji Yoshikawa's novel "Musashi".

By the Mangaka of Slam Dunk

New chapters come out in Japan on the third Thursday of the month.
    Last edited by Kaiten; April 23, 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vagabond Discussion Thread

Oh my, I'm glad you've decided to discuss this manga. I think Vagabond is one of my my favorite mangas period. I've never seen artwork that seems so raw and expressive. The sheer amount of detail in every panel and creative use of light and perspective are so fun to see. The watercolors are also a treat, since they show off Takehiko-san's style and skill. It's sooo good. I feel like this is the kind of work that can transcend the genre of "manga" or "comic" and really appeal to all sorts of audiences... or maybe not.

I'm a big fan of the mangaka, Takehiko Inoue... even if he kinda borrowed some pictures for his "Slam Dunk." I hope he can stay healthy and happy enough to keep up the amazing work.

I'm not on my computer right now, so I can't look up my favorite scenes.. but I'll be back with that later. I'm glad to see another fan of this wonderful manga. (as a side question, what are the other samurai mangas you had in mind? what are your other favorite mangas? and do you think there are any similar mangas out there?)

Ok, looking forward to talking about all this fun stuff.
    [img width=550 height=122]http://www.nd.edu/~mquisao/Pictures/VagabondBanner.jpg[/img]

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

This defently one of my favorites what I like about it the most is that it does not have exageration of power like Kenshin this one is more down to earth.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MQAvatar2k
    I've never seen artwork that seems so raw and expressive.
    Bull's eye! Yeah... I think that the drawing style gives the whole story a great support. Both story and drawing go so well together.

I've got a vagabond poster in my room because it looks so kickass!

Quote Quote:
    I'm a big fan of the mangaka, Takehiko Inoue... even if he kinda borrowed some pictures for his "Slam Dunk."  I hope he can stay healthy and happy enough to keep up the amazing work.
    SlamDunk is also one of my favs although it's an entirely different genre...

Quote Quote:
    (as a side question, what are the other samurai mangas you had in mind? what are your other favorite mangas? and do you think there are any similar mangas out there?)
    I only know Blade of the Immortal, Basilisk, Samurai Champloo and Rurouni Kenshin = samurai mangas
    But they are all different in kind and style than Vagabond.
    The most similar might be Blade of the Immortal but still it has more fantasy/mystery included like the main character's ability to have swords coming out of his body as well as being cursed to be immortal because of some worms living inside him.
    Vagabond is more realistic in this way.
    For Basilisk you can get more info here.
    And Samurai Champloo as well as Rurouni Kenshin are by far not so serious and intense as Vagabond. (RK has also its own thread here.)
    Well, you see: Vagabond is my fav samurai manga so this is not objective, of course.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've seen or read most of those other samurai manga and they are way different... good though.

I agree that BoTI is the most similar to Vagabond, but the art style in Vagabond is very much superior.  It's much more polished.

(oh wow, Miso.. you're azzzrael?  that's awesome.  I'm definitely a fan and have looked at your deviations before.  Coolness.)  Thanks for your recommendations.  Where do you dl your manga?  I usually use IRC, but my school recently shut it down.  Any recommendations?

Ok, on to my favorite scenes...

Spoiler show

Anways.. I've honestly loved every page of this work.  It's fantastic.
    [img width=550 height=122]http://www.nd.edu/~mquisao/Pictures/VagabondBanner.jpg[/img]

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Definently my fave samurai type manga.

And the fights during the the latest volumes are of course enjoyable. Though the one in Volume 13 remains to be my fave so far. Though the fight in Volume 20 remains a close second.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, having heard that this manga draws similar praise as Blade of the Immortal, I'll definitely check into this one as soon as possible.

Miyamoto Musashi - yeah, he's been mentioned a couple of times in other kenshi manga. Heh. So this is a fictionial story about him - well, that's cool.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favourite mangas. I love it. Mostly because of the change of two different Characters the wild beast Miyamoto Musashi and the cold hearted killer Sasaki Kojiro. Also i recommend you the book Musashi of Eiji Yoshikawa. It is also about Musashi and it is really recommendable.
    Im Himmel keinen zweiten.My english is really bad.Building the Future and keeping the Past alive is one and the same thing. Solid Snakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MQAvatar2k
    (oh wow, Miso.. you're azzzrael?  that's awesome.  I'm definitely a fan and have looked at your deviations before.  Coolness.)  Thanks for your recommendations.  Where do you dl your manga?  I usually use IRC, but my school recently shut it down.  Any recommendations?
    Yeah. I'm AzzzRAEL. Such a stupid nickname. I don't know why I choose that...
    I also use irc because #lurk has the most series scanlated out there plus fine download speeds.
    Rare things you still can find with fserv.
    If you go for direct download try: www.mangatraders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snake1786
    One of my favourite mangas. I love it. Mostly because of the change of two different Characters the wild beast Miyamoto Musashi and the cold hearted killer Sasaki Kojiro. Also i recommend you the book Musashi of Eiji Yoshikawa. It is also about Musashi and it is really recommendable.
    Yes - that contrast is quite appealing.
    And I acutally have that book written by Yoshikawa in my book shelve. It's really good and totally interesting. I think Miyamoto Musashi is a great character for a story.

PS: @MQAvatar2k: I added spoiler tags to your post.

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miso

And I acutally have that book written by Yoshikawa in my book shelve. It's really good and totally interesting. I think Miyamoto Musashi is a great character for a story.
    Yes he is really a quite interesting character.
    Im Himmel keinen zweiten.My english is really bad.Building the Future and keeping the Past alive is one and the same thing. Solid Snakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the first volume of Vagabond. Not bad, but I don't get the same sense of wonder I did from Blade of the Immortal. But I'll read on. It's nice to have a realistic samurai story anyway and I love it when the story is built around some real history, too.

I'll probably never forget what the Battle of Sekigahara was all about now at least - I already knew a little bit about the Tokugawa reign but this is the first time I've been able to fully understand how it got started.

Shinmen Takezō has a definite presence about him all right, I like how the artist gave him beastial eyes that gave his opponents pause almost all the time. For a man destined to become a legendary swordsmaster, he does seem like he'd be intimidating enough. Wonder how Miyamoto Musashi really looked like, though. Anyway, Takezō certainly does seem resourceful... heh, if the Toyotomi clan had five more men like him, the West probably would have won that battle...

Didn't care for Hon'iden Matahachi at all and I wasn't too surprised when he turned out to be pretty much a lame excuse for a warrior and ran away with Okō.

Will comment more as I read on. The art's very well done but it almost seems like the artist is trying to stretch the story out by having so many large panels that just show the characters' emotion (especially Takezō.)

EDIT: Okay, I just finished the fourth volume and it's gotten much better. The first two volumes were kind of "eh" but when Takezō was renamed Miyamoto Musashi was when the story really got rolling.

I'll start using spoiler tags...

Spoiler: Volumes 2-4 show

Spoiler: Volumes 5-6 show

Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read it several times, and kinda have to admit I wasn't so thrilled about the last few volumes where we got introduced to somone I'd call the second main character ?? since so many volumes focused on him...

Anyway I haven't grown as fond of Blade of the immortal as I have of Vagabond, and I guess it's mainly because the main character is way better. Also I had kinda expected the main character in BoTI to be better, but he seems to have gotten duller with skills and stuff.

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    Blade of the Immortal.
    What is that for a manga man I heard of that quite often did you buy it or download it???

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

You can find more information on where to download Blade of Immortal in this thread, Snake.

As for Musashi vs. Manji, it seems Musashi would probably win based on pure skill and instinct. But I still think Manji is a fun character to follow in Blade of the Immortal, but it's obvious his character isn't as well developed as Musashi's. Rin on the other hand...

Anyway, I've read volumes 7-8:

Spoiler: My opinion show

Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

aye, that is why I keep vagabond and not Blade of the immortal, I just don't feel that it's worth the space.

New Reply
Page 1 of 93 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast