Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast

Thread: The Television Show Thread

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member otomo20's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Television Show Thread

http://game8review.blogspot.com/2013...ry-review.html

my review on the spartacus finale, which was pretty damn awesome.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't watched this season for some reason. Has it been good?

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member otomo20's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was the best season so far thanks to crassius and caeser, watch the first episode and decide.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

This Defiance series from syfy channel ... the synopsis looks interesting
    is there someone else interested in it too?

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of TV watching hopes ridding on Defiance's premiere tonight. It's been so long since I had a Sci-Fi show I could get into.

In preparation I have set my standards pretty low, I'm not expecting anything as good as Firefly but if something can even make it to being on par with Stargate Atlantis would be a huge win in my book. It doesn't have to be perfect or creative, I just want a watchable show with aliens and humans shooting each other. Not everybody likes high drama. Give me some pulpy fiction, lighthearted dialogue, and some laser guns!!

So, please Defiance..... don't suck.
    Last edited by Jammin; April 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

oh.. Firefly
    I only watched firefly last year... but I did watch it all in less than a day. I loved it.. and hated for it for being canceled so soon.
    I did watch Stargate Atlantis and it was "fun", but I couldn't watch all episodes of stargate sg1

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    oh.. Firefly
    I only watched firefly last year... but I did watch it all in less than a day. I loved it.. and hated for it for being canceled so soon.
    I did watch Stargate Atlantis and it was "fun", but I couldn't watch all episodes of stargate sg1
    Yeah, Firefly was a rare jewel of a show. At least it got a movie to wrap things up. Which is pretty awesome if you haven't seen it yet. It was probably the only show in a long time that achieved the level of enjoyment for me that the Sci-Fi shows I grew up with did.(The Star Trek: The Next Generation, Babylon 5, and Farscape)

I'm not a huge fan of Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis but both were shows I watched weekly and enjoyed (usually).

The only Sci-Fi shows I'm not able to enjoy are anything like Battlestar Galactica or Stargate Universe. I'm watching for "fun" and "adventure". High levels of drama and humorless characters, not so much.

-----------------------------------------------

After watching the 2 hour premiere of Defiance I gotta say....I'm pretty happy. It's a genuine futuristic western and I believe I'm going to be watching it for the foreseeable future. And unlike Revolution there is no annoying Charlie character to ruin the whole thing by constantly being annoying. All the characters were likeable, or interesting, and overall fairly angst free.

I came away from the first episode feeling that it was better than Stargate Atlantis and, if things go well, might turn out to be as good as Farscape.
    Last edited by Jammin; April 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I watched Serenity!
    I loved Battlestar Galactica... although somewhere on the second half it got a little annoying, but I still loved that show
    I never watched Farscape, was it good?

I liked Defiance first episode, they did try to emulate that abandon feeling from firefly. I have some trouble with how the plot developed, but it's a pilot, so it is to be expected.
    I'll keep track of this series

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    Yes, I watched Serenity!
    I loved Battlestar Galactica... although somewhere on the second half it got a little annoying, but I still loved that show
    I never watched Farscape, was it good?

I liked Defiance first episode, they did try to emulate that abandon feeling from firefly. I have some trouble with how the plot developed, but it's a pilot, so it is to be expected.
    I'll keep track of this series
    Farscape was really pretty good. It's might look a little silly now but at the time it really captured my imagination pretty well. Later seasons did get a little weird though, which like you mentioned with Battlestar Galactica happens kind of a lot with Sci-Fi.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I just watched the pilot of Defiance. Verdict: I doubt there will be more than two seasons at best. One season will be already well paid.
    It's not that bad but it's just so "déjà vu".

The setup is the same as in terra nova: new guy in new town become the new hero & of course the town is basically the last hope of civilization & anything outside is extremely dangerous.

The makeup of all the aliens races is cheap & I thought to Farscape when watching it.

Some words of the english language were replaced & there is a strong independant prostitute in the cast (but sorry Mia Kirshner, you're not even close to a Morena Baccarin both in acting & hotness)

So, Terra nova with a bit of farscape & a taste of firefly, no originality at all. Really hard to care for the characters (how is Dexter's wife doing a career ? She isn't good. There are currently two blondies in tv series that I see everywhere: her & the Lost-Revolution-V one. Both are getting on my nerves.)

Defiance will be cancelled. It's too expensive to make, acting isn't that good & the show have no originality. Still watchable but that's it, nothing more. It's a tv serie that would have been good 15 years ago. A disappointement & I doubt it will get better.

I understood it wouldn't be great very fast. The Romeo&Juliet situation for teenagers between the two most powerful families of the town ... Please, give me a break.

Since 2000: Battlestar Galactica - Firefly - Stargate and you have everything you need to know about scifi in tv series for this new millenium
    Last edited by zelllogan; April 16, 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    I just watched the pilot of Defiance. Verdict: I doubt there will be more than two seasons at best. One season will be already well paid.
    It's not that bad but it's just so "déjà vu".

The setup is the same as in terra nova: new guy in new town become the new hero & of course the town is basically the last hope of civilization & anything outside is extremely dangerous.

The makeup of all the aliens races is cheap & I thought to Farscape when watching it.

Some words of the english language were replaced & there is a strong independant prostitute in the cast (but sorry Mia Kirshner, you're not even close to a Morena Baccarin both in acting & hotness)

So, Terra nova with a bit of farscape & a taste of firefly, no originality at all. Really hard to care for the characters (how is Dexter's wife doing a career ? She isn't good. There are currently two blondies in tv series that I see everywhere: her & the Lost-Revolution-V one. Both are getting on my nerves.)

Defiance will be cancelled. It's too expensive to make, acting isn't that good & the show have no originality. Still watchable but that's it, nothing more. It's a tv serie that would have been good 15 years ago. A disappointement & I doubt it will get better.

I understood it wouldn't be great very fast. The Romeo&Juliet situation for teenagers between the two most powerful families of the town ... Please, give me a break.

Since 2000: Battlestar Galactica - Firefly - Stargate and you have everything you need to know about scifi in tv series for this new millenium
    Wow, I couldn't be of a more different opinion. I mean, it wasn't breaking any new ground no doubt about that but I didn't think the acting or makeup was bad at all. A little cheesy at times maybe but this Sci-Fi where the best show is Warehouse 13.

As for whether or not it will be cancelled. That's always a strong possibility but the ratings are good so far. Particularly in the demographics advertisers like.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Ratings are good due to anticipation. The teasing was really good.

The overall reaction is close to mine:
    http://www.metacritic.com/tv/defiance
    A big "Meh".

I say "acting" but I could say "characters". All of them are such stereotypes. The cunning alien, the maverick hero, the badass emotionless sidekick who has a tender side, the proud indian in business, the clueless teenagers who will cause problems to their parents & the mayor who will basically fall in love with our maverick hero (and won't admit it while he is banging her sister in order to not get hurt ...).

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the stereotypes, but I did like the makeup.
    I don't think it has to break new ground, it has to be enjoyable. I think the mythology of the series was well build, this world do seems interesting.
    The plot will be around Defiance(hence the name), but Defiance isn't the last city of the world... as far as I could get it is just one of the many.
    Like I said before, I never watched Farscape, so I can't possibly compare it.
    I would like to see more about the differences about the Voltan races than their problems with the humans itself, like babylon 5 used to do.

About being cancelled early, off course it's a risk... Firefly was excellent and got axed
    At least we will get 1 full season

Anyway, I'll keep my on it

Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The second part of Breaking Bad's final season will return around Aug 11th. I don't also understand the delay, production has already long finished and the cast has already moved on.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

News that, i guess, most will not care for but which completely took me by surprise and delighted me, Guillermo del Toro, director of movies like Pan´s Labyrinth and Hellboy, and Stephen Thompson, writer for Doctor Who and Sherlock, are developing an HBO adaption of Urasawa´s manga Monster

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/guillermo-d...222409266.html

20. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast