Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Thriller Bark Arc Discussion Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member OP_overlord's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Haunted Island Arch

that is part of the problem that i have with this arc it takes to long to read oda has to draw very dark stuff and explain it all so it takes alot longer to get very little useable information all we know is this guys name and that he is a shichibukia nothing else and the same or hogback he is a famous doctor gone bad not much else on that front either

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, OP_overlord but I disagree with you. Oda gave us much information at the end of the Enies Lobby arc that I really haven't any problem with some unsolved misteries. And he can't explain everything until the manga ends. And, imho, I don't believe this arc will give us some big mistery, even if I really don't know how Oda will fit Moria, a sichikubay(sp) in this arc.
    As I said before, I didn't liked Brooke in his first appearance, but from next chap, when he got a little bit of background, I took a liking in him. It really seems to fit well with StrawHats.
    Last edited by Luckas; March 23, 2007 at 03:25 AM.

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree i think brooke fits well with the crew and will join them by the end of teh arc but for the moent he is under the comand of a bad guy

and its not that Oda hasnt told us new important, relevant information it is just that he is making more plot holes that need to be filled in later
    i.e. all the new villains (Gekko, Dr. Hogback, Ablsome, Ghosts, Zombies, Paintings,... ) in this arc; and the story yet to be finished about Shanks and WB, and BB and Ace, Dragon, Garp, Smoker, Dadan,...
    i think i didnt explain it well the first time

Moderator message by: Luckas
    Just a little note, guys: be cautious because of the the thread's subject it is easy to make reference to to the last chap and this isn't allowed until the week-end passed.
    Last edited by Luckas; March 24, 2007 at 02:56 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anti-panda's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Your both pretty much right ... there are ALOT of unexplained mysteries and loose ends to tie up. But I don't think Oda will leave us hanging on any of them. Op is going stronger than ever at Over 400+ chapters and doesn't show any signs of slowing. And truth be told If it stays this good. I don't want it too.
    I just keep hoping for a zombie that looks like bruce campbell.
    In Oda I trust .. Follow me to the sea of dreams.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Paz42's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

now OP_overlord said that brooke is being controled by somebody but im not sure wouldnt that be similar to nami being controled in a sense by arlong and we all know oda doesnt like to repeat himself

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yes it is just like it but it makes for a good nakama recruiting theory and nami joined just after they left on their adventure andbrooke joins just as they start their adventure into the new world

and just for general info i havent read the spoiler yet it was all on a hunch/infrence/theory

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet we'll see the introduction of a couple new strawhats back to back ... it's been a while and they need to introduce the characters and give them time to develop before things get too hot n heavy. Thier almost to the halfway point in the grandline .. and if i'm right expect a military base at the redline. and More Kick=a$$ pirates once they enter the new world.

However back on topic. Everytime I think this arc cant get any better I'm wrong... I just read ch 453 and you can read my opinions about it in the appropriate places. However it' does lead me to wonder .. for the last couple of chapters the zombies have been refering to "The Master" ... as in the masters orders or we obey "The master" I wonder who thier refering tooo... Gekko moria seems too obvious. Hogback maybe because he reanimated them ... Or somebody else entirely. Hmmmmmm...... ?????????? Any interesting ideas would be welcome.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Dark soul within's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a great arc! Oda's gone for the weird/surreal and creepy storyline, whilst at the same time making it really comical..although it has been slightly slow in a few places.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Absolutio's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

recently, this arc is really superb and surprising. you can't know what's gonna be up next. oda just keeps amazing us again and again!

Luffy: Sanji, prepare the lunch-box!
    Sanji: Lunch-box?
    Luffy: Yes. A pirate's lunch-box!
    *Pirate's lunch-box is for increasing one's power, so there will be no vegetables.
    -One Piece Side-Stories Covers Coloring Project! OP Colorist? Check it out now!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's just a small arc, i don't especially like it. Like the Davy Back fight-thing... not one of my favourites.

Ennies Lobby was just too awesome. And the merman thing promises some interesting plot coming. I think this will be over soon, the point of the arc being Brooke joining.

I think Oda really wanted to have a skeleton in the crew, so he had to do an arc related to it. And you can't just present a new character quickly, you've got to introduce him little by little, making him loved by the reader.

If that was his intention, he succeeded. I love Brook! That, and he has to eliminate the Shichibukai little by little.

So it's a necessary arc in my opinion, but not the best. Although it's getting interesting just now... and well One Piece never fails to make me laugh anyway. Which is always great!
    Last edited by Yondy; May 21, 2007 at 03:14 PM.

~~Reborn, One Piece, Bleach and Naruto fanarts~~http://irenukia.deviantart.com/ :B

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ANBU4U's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xr3b0rn5inx View Post
    I think its kinda intresting so far,but it might a lil boring i guess.I dun think that any battle here will make the SH crew gain any new skills or increase their bounty.Tis ghost chapter will juz be another Skypie adventure ...Well thats my point of view,i dunno
    How could it not? GM is one of the shichibukai....if they take down his entire operation...like they are going to HAVE to, their bounties will raise....now as GM seems to be extra tucked away I can see their being a major delay in the news of his defeat...perhaps halfway throught the Mermaid Island Arc....or even after...but it HAS to raise their bounties.

As for the arc itself..I LOVE it. Just amazing visualy, and the storytelling is fairly good. It's not Water 7....but its still a fairly good lead-up, better than Arabaster, but perhaps on par with Jaya....I feel as though the the bulk of this arc (the battles) will hit the right spot in the end and provide us with a new feel for OP and some much needed skill development for the weaker mugiwara.....as they are getting to the point where they cant truely protect themselves without a stronger crewmember to watch their backs....Ussop and chopper in particular.

And of course I think I may get my new favorite Mugiwara out of this arc, namely Brooke. For all those who think it's too soon.....well just imagine the half year of fillers the anime is about to go through. 'Nough said.
    Last edited by ANBU4U; May 21, 2007 at 06:35 PM.

Now 20% Cooler 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sahugani's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ANBU4U View Post
    How could it not? GM is one of the shichibukai....if they take down his entire operation...like they are going to HAVE to, their bounties will raise....now as GM seems to be extra tucked away I can see their being a major delay in the news of his defeat...perhaps halfway throught the Mermaid Island Arc....or even after...but it HAS to raise their bounties.

As for the arc itself..I LOVE it. Just amazing visualy, and the storytelling is fairly good. It's not Water 7....but its still a fairly good lead-up, better than Arabaster, but perhaps on par with Jaya....I feel as though the the bulk of this arc (the battles) will hit the right spot in the end and provide us with a new feel for OP and some much needed skill development for the weaker mugiwara.....as they are getting to the point where they cant truely protect themselves without a stronger crewmember to watch their backs....Ussop and chopper in particular.

And of course I think I may get my new favorite Mugiwara out of this arc, namely Brooke. For all those who think it's too soon.....well just imagine the half year of fillers the anime is about to go through. 'Nough said.
    i too love this arc with all my heart and it, like every other arc in OP, seems to get better and better with each chapter that goes by.

however, i do disagree with you on the matters of Brooke and the bounty situation. With Brooke, i've been saying from the beginning that while i love him to death (hehehe) i highly doubt that he will join, but as there is a thread about that already, that's all i'll say here.

as for the bounties after this arc, i doubt that they would change. First of all there is the matter of them just getting their new bounties, so other than Chopper getting a REAL price on his head, i doubt Oda would change these that quickly. but you do bring up a good point that beating another shichibukai would warrent another boot, but i've got some holes to poke in that evidence. First of all, Moria's actions are clearly outside of his contract with the government, so it's not like any of Moria's crew will bring this defeat to the WG's attention. Also, unlike Crocodile's scheme, Thriller Bark is hidden away in the mist, so it would take a good long while before anyone noticed on their own that Moria has been beaten, let alone have any witness to who beat him. If the news of Luffy beating Moria comes to the WG at all it won't be for a good long time and may coincide with Luffy's next big and highly publicized victory, at which time both will be included in the bounty calculations

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ubo's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Haunted Island Arc

Yep, I'm a big fan of this arc. It's more light-hearted so far, but I kinda needed it to be after the emotional explosion of W7. Also, I can see Brooke becoming my favorite member after Luffy (right now it's between Sanji and Robin).

If Brooke doesn't end up joining, I'll be disappointed, but I'm pretty sure he will. He already has more depth than Vivi...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Do ya think if luffy beats gekko ... he'll start to be refered to as the shinchibukai slayer???
    I mean to defeat not one but two ... shinchibukai .. thats impressive.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-panda View Post
    Do ya think if luffy beats gekko ... he'll start to be refered to as the shinchibukai slayer???
    I mean to defeat not one but two ... shinchibukai .. thats impressive.
    If Luffy can defeat them, then probably even others can do the same in the new word.

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

New Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast