Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
Hey guys, D here, the very same Djudge that you've probably seen running around with the admin hat over at Bleach Forums. Though, here at MangaHelpers you probably know me more for the Bleach translations that I cook up every now and then.
Let's see, my status as a translator... well, as you can tell from some of my earlier scripts, I tend to be more liberal with my wording for translations; some people love it, some people hate it. But what the heck, it's always good to have alternate takes on the text other than risking droning week after week using a more purist approach. Though if you feel that I've gone a bit too far, feel free to post in my script threads; I'll gladly add on a footnote detailing your concern for a particular passage. After all, I like to think of my scripts as an open community effort.
These days, I spend most of my time trying to appease both liberal and literal translation fans by moving establishing a median.
Feel free to drop a line if you've got the time, this is probably the best way to get in touch with me (like the firendly admins and mods around here say) since I'll usually be stuck with a completely full inbox at BF.
First I want to say thank you for all that you have done for the Bleach community. ^__^
Can you give us some info on the the newly released Bleach databook? Is it from the anime, or the manga? Have you translated any part of it? Any other new info?
What first got you into:
Thanks for ally our hard work Djudge its much appreciated.
What other manga/anime has your interest at the moment?
EDIT: ...what's yuor favourite scary movie?
Thank you so much Djudge for your translations here. Especially considering your busy schedule.
How did you learn Japanese?
Where are you from?
What are your thoughts on the "Vaizard" or "Visored" controversy?
What's your favorite character?
Thanks for being here. Your translations are very appriecated.
1. When do you start translating?
2. What makes you join a forum at the first place?
3. How does it feel becoming an admin in Bleachforum? Is it tough....etc?
Well, the Bleach databook that you're probably most familiar with is the Character Book SOULs; it's got a black foil cover with Ichigo on it. It's a fairly comprehensive recap of the first two arcs that took place in Karakura Town and Soul Society and also contains a chat with Kubo and Morita (Ichigo's anime seiyuu). Closing off the goodies are a pin-up of Ichigo and Renji dueling with their Bankai done by Kubo himself, a gallery of stand alone pieces Kubo was commissioned to do for Jump-related events, a few omake chapters including the Christmas in Carmine short, Japanese translations for the chapter titles that were in English, a limited edition card for the Bleach CCG, etc.Originally Posted by Hermie
Of course there was also an Animation Book called VIBEs, which had similar goods. However, that was just a picture book of the first two arcs covered in the anime more or less. It has character design sketches for the anime the second part to the chat between Kubo and Morita, a pinup of Ichigo and Renji by the animation character designer, another limited edition card for the Bleach CCG, etc.
Most importantly, each databook (which were published at the same time in early February) have Bleach c0 Sides A and B telling the events immediately prior to c1 through Ichigo, Rukia, and, to a degree Renji's, perspectives.
As for any additional information that I don't think that's already been disseminated to the fanbase? Not that much, I believe there's a thread here on MH that held most of the important discoveries as I translated them from the Bleach Notes blog.
As for your "what first" questions:
- My gateway drug was definitely Urusei Yatsura and Rurouni Kenshin for anime. For manga, I'd probably have to say either Please Save My Earth or Great Teacher Onizuka.
- I owe a great deal to Airy and her work with TW for getting me into Bleach. Initially I passed the series off as standard shounen billing when I first read it in Weekly Jump and didn't really pay much attention to it until I happened upon some scanlations from TW and Airy's work as chapter translator over at the Soul Society LJ.
- Honestly, I don't really translate all that much given how I've been out of proper education on the language for about five years now. If the translator base ever grows to have a few consistent people on board, I'd happily bow out and only do chapters I really like.
Other manga/anime that has my interest at the moment... hmm, to be honest a TON! But here's a few:Originally Posted by Khaludh
* 20th Century Boys
* Ghost in The Shell -S.A.C.- 2nd Gig
* Hajime no Ippo
* Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
* Nodame Cantabile
* One Piece
* Tsubasa RESERVoir Chronicle
And those are only the ones I've pretty much kept up with the last month or so.
As for my scary movie... hmmm, I'd probably have to say Jacob's Ladder. Though I have the feeling that the upcoming Silent Hill movie could dethrone it.
No problem Gold Knight, though once Ace Combat Zero rolls around don't expect me to be on much oftenOriginally Posted by Gold Knight
As for those ?'s:
* Mostly self-taught believe it or not though growing up near a Japantown helps a lot.
* I'm from San Jose, CA; though in a year who knows what university I'm heading out to.
* To me, the two words sound so similar in everyday speech (not dictionary pronunciation sticklers) that really they're the same. However, I'm really jaded on the whole "let's name a group using an adjective" click that I happened to breeze through while reading some of H.P. Lovecraft's works. Sure, Vizard only means mask, and not the person wearing it, but the way I see it calling them the Visored would be akin to calling them "those who wear masks." As I translate it, they'd simply be "the masks" which I think affords a greater degree of mysteriousness to the group (however goofy they really seem to be).
* Favorite character in Bleach, I suppose? Well, the best thing about Bleach is that the cast, despite its large size, is filled with great personalities. Up at the top would be Zaraki, Hirako, and Yoruichi. Though, through and through, thick and thin, now and then, it's always been Urahara for me. However, I'd like to give props to Lisa in the last chapter simply because Kubo made her ooze with style as well as everyone's favorite angry/emo Arrancar duo Grimmjow and Ulquiorra.
1. Maybe a year ago is when I started posting stuff online for others to read. Before that, I just read for my own leisure.Originally Posted by eileenting88
2. Well, in terms of MH, I liked the atmosphere here and the way it was organized. Lots of kudos to the staff here for making this place hospitable and neat.
3. *rubs head* lol, that pretty much says it all. There's just so much drama behind the scenes some times with people leaving and forum issues sometimes that it gets overwhelming. Toss onto that the fact that I help coordinate BF's huge RPG and it gets really... @_@. Though, if even one Bleacher can logon and have a good experience there, then it really does become all worth it.
First, thanks for your translations.
What is your favourite TV series?
Do you like to read? What is your favourite book?
What is your favourite food?
- Definitely The Office right now, though I have to give some prop's to Late Night with Conan o' Brien for helping get through those early morning study sessions.Originally Posted by Miso
- Definitely love to read, the last book I read was David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. As for my favorite book? Definitely J.D. Salinger's Catcher in The Rye.
- Favorite food... (nearing lunch break over here, heh) probably pork curry over rice or baked mussels.
That was VERY informative, I can't thank you enough.Originally Posted by Djudge
Whoa, so Airy inspired you to try Bleach. Cool.Quote:
I hope she'll be able to return within two weeks; she's having to worry about moving from Japan to America right now.
Do you translate anything else other than Bleach?Quote:
Exactly how I feel Viz will probably translate it.Quote:
How do you feel about Viz's translations on Bleach so far? I'm assuming you've had the chance to check it out.
We try our best, it only adds to the positive atmosphere with guys like yourself willing to help out here, appreciate itQuote:
- At the moment, no. Though, if D.Gray-man starts up again, I suppose I could give that a shot seeing as how I think Hoshino-sensei's art is probably the best Jump has to offer right now along with Kubo-sensei and Obata-sensei's (Death Note); that and it's starting to solidify plot-wise and be less generic. An exciting time for that manga, but sadly Hoshino-sensei's been ill recently and hasn't been working on the series.Originally Posted by Gold Knight
- I feel a bit wishy-washy on it. First and foremost, there's the whole Soul Reaper thing in Bleach that isn't present in their rendition of Death Note even though both titles use the same term, "Shinigami." Additionally, seeing Zanpakutou names go forth between their English translations and their romanizations is a bit awkward at times. Overall, it's definitely something someone can pick up and read, but it can get a bit inconsistent in form where they keep some terms simply romanized, yet others translated fully into English with no rhyme or reason. Also, I wish they had a glossary of terms like translator notes in the rear of the volume; nothing big, maybe a page or so of new translations that pop up in the volume.
Can you not translate D.Gray-Man 73-75 right now thenOriginally Posted by Djudge
And he's not ill, he has been 'injured', perhaps some traffic accident or something? Or he broke his hand skeeing...
True enough, I keep getting my injured/ill mangaka mixed up. It's Togashi-sensei that's ill at the moment, right? I swear, if they keep with the delays for Hunter x Hunter, I don't care how popular Yu Yu Hakusho was, that series is going under.Originally Posted by Khaludh
Yeah, that mangaka is ill, though i don't know him or HxH yet... i've only heard the stories about his health...
Talk about coincedence, I've started up reading D. Gray Man again lately. The first time I read it I stopped at the end of the second volume, but maybe it was the generic-ness about it that caused me to forget about it til now. The art's pretty good though.Originally Posted by Djudge
Hope the mangaka pulls thru.
Hmm... didn't have a problem with that because I figured everybody would start from volume 1 and I don't think these terms were that difficult to figure out, although it does get annoying that Ikkaku goes from calling his weapon in Volume 10 Hozukimaru to just "Winter Cherry" in Vol. 11. I think the translations have been slipping a little more lately. A glossary would definitely be nice, a la Rurouni Kenshin manga.Quote:
For example in Vol 10,page 13 of chapter 86, after Ichigo finishes explaining his reasoning to Ikkaku about why he didn't run with Ganju, in the fan sub Ikkaku responds "I see... you're not so dumb after all."
Yet in Viz's version, Ikkaku answers... "I see... then you're a fool."
Whoa, BIG difference in tone! Which translation's more accurate...? But up to Vol 10 I felt Bleach did an otherwise excellent job. Oh well.