PDA

View Full Version : Theory Gear Fourth predictions and theories

soulji
February 02, 2011, 01:50 AM
More specifically, I think Luffy’s 4th gear will be him lighting his haki on fire, like Boa Marigold.

His big move will be Hiken and it will be a combination of (Busōshoku Haki + Gear 3rd) elephant gun and flaming haki.

It would be the perfect way for Luffy to carry on Ace’s “Will of D,” and giving how Luffy's mind works I can picture him coming up with it. And in the future, he can learn to do it without the matches or get Franky or Usopp to make something.

I think it will make Marco cry :)

I would be so awesome.

Lugo
February 02, 2011, 02:29 AM
More specifically, I think Luffy’s 4th gear will be him lighting his haki on fire, like Boa Marigold.

His big move will be Hiken and it will be a combination of (Busōshoku Haki + Gear 3rd) elephant gun and flaming haki.

It would be the perfect way for Luffy to carry on Ace’s “Will of D,” and giving how Luffy's mind works I can picture him coming up with it. And in the future, he can learn to do it without the matches or get Franky or Usopp to make something.

I think it will make Marco cry :)

I would be so awesome.

Well haha I totally agree with ya and that would suppppper awesome to see that happen with Luffy. We've all be seeing Oda giving hints about how more epic Luffy really is underneth all the composed carefreeness. XD lol

But your not the only one who's noticed Luffy's new developments. >X)
Right now, the most frighting and most amazing thing is about the current Luffy isn't neither his new power-uped Speed nor Strength through Gear 2nd and 3rd infused with the 3 forms of Haki. Its his newly acquried extraordinary toughness... Its like he knows what hes doing and he has no hint hestitation within himself plus hes more composed and calm then his usual self, but yet carefree as always LOL. Whatever he did over the last 6 months to improve himself even more after learning the froms of Haki, he must have found a new special ablility of Gear techniques. I bet Oda in his right epical mind of his, he must have given Luffy a new Gear power, maybe Gear 4th like some fans have rumored to say he will achive it and have been wanting to see a new Gear power besides Gear 2nd and 3rd. My Theory on what Gear 4th might be (If it is ture that is lmao), this Gear will enahance Luffy's Tech.s, power, strength, speed and his Haki by Quadruple by 4x his current self. Can you imagen how friggin insanely powerful that is if its true that he can futher go beyond his limits!?

O__o';

RezzieThaRapper
February 02, 2011, 02:41 AM
I thought something like this... but with Vulcanization through Haki... which very well could incorporate flames as well...

kkck
February 02, 2011, 09:18 AM
Gears so far have been specialized uses of his DF. Setting himself on fire through haki would hardly be such a thing so I don't think it would be counted as a gear.

Lord Rayleigh
February 02, 2011, 10:53 AM
I don't think Luffy can set himself on fire without getting seriously injured. I guess Marigold was able thanks to Haki and her snake body.

Blue Walk
February 02, 2011, 02:16 PM
Does "hiken" mean flaming? cuz if it does i truly can picture a "flaming luffy" lol. He'd shoot out so many swear words and insults at you that you'd be mentally defeated lol, and once your spirits broken haoushoku ur ass!

But seriously, how would he even accomplish this? I'm sure his little souvenir from akainu taught him NOT to play with fire (yes, i know its magma but its still hot).

kkck
February 02, 2011, 05:51 PM
I don't think Luffy can set himself on fire without getting seriously injured. I guess Marigold was able thanks to Haki and her snake body.

A snake would be specially sensitive to heat given that it is a cold blooded animal though. I don't think the snake body had anything to do that, it must have been a very specialized use of armament haki. Luffy has already shown he can use armor haki so such a technique is not necessarily out of reach. It would still not be anything even remotely close to a gear though.

Not sure what else luffy could use that would be a gear though. Gears necessarily involve a DF ability so it is a bit complicated. Luffy already went to the extreme of increasing his own blood flow and inflating his bones with air so it is really hard to think of anything else.

Poneglyph420
February 03, 2011, 02:03 PM
Well Hiken translates to Fire Fist, or more so Fire Sword.. So unlesss it involves Luffy Vulcanizing his Gomu Gomu ability and fortifying it with Haki.. Can't see this one panning out. Though it does sound like a fun idea.. Just one with no chance of happening.

I personally hope his new gear (if he gets one) has to do with controlling his density and elasticity..

soulji
February 03, 2011, 03:34 PM
Gears so far have been specialized uses of his DF. Setting himself on fire through haki would hardly be such a thing so I don't think it would be counted as a gear.

I think it's because that's all he had.

I always looked at the gears like "stances" and from those stances luffy could perform a variety of moves. I think flaming haki fits that mold.

Also since the timeskip, luffy hasn't needed to pump his legs to enter gear 2nd. I think it's done mainly with haki now. He's done several jet pistols without the leg pump preparation.

Jorge D. Dragon
February 05, 2011, 03:58 AM
Not sure what else luffy could use that would be a gear though. Gears necessarily involve a DF ability so it is a bit complicated. Luffy already went to the extreme of increasing his own blood flow and inflating his bones with air so it is really hard to think of anything else.

I think if there is a posibility for Luffy to reach Gear 4, it can be him shrinking a bit than he is in his normal state, thus gaining stronger body and getting greater speed and so on.:) I think that is the only posibility.:)

kkck
February 06, 2011, 10:34 PM
Well, I also hope that there will be a gear 4th, I just can't imagine what such a thing would look like... Perhaps now that he has mastered to a new level both of his gears (apparently) he will be able to combine them properly thus forming gear 4. He did so against moria but event hat seemed a tad improvised.

I liked the concept of vulcanization introduced before by some people but if it has to be different than just making him harder and stronger since gear 3 already does that. Perhaps luffy could do such a thing to harden his body and enter a defensive mode of sorts. Since his body would be harder he would be slower perhaps.

Ustegius
February 14, 2011, 03:20 PM
It would be a very cool tribute to Ace, but I doubt it. As said, gears are about flexible (pun: accidental) use of his DF. Lighting himself on fire would hardly be a gear.

And didn't Marigold set her hair on fire, not body? Though still she most likely used very speacialized haki to control it and survive without injuries.

But if Luffy confronts Akainu again, I could see him trying something like that "This is from Ace!" :D

bopnoh10
February 14, 2011, 06:12 PM
A snake would be specially sensitive to heat given that it is a cold blooded animal though. I don't think the snake body had anything to do that, it must have been a very specialized use of armament haki. Luffy has already shown he can use armor haki so such a technique is not necessarily out of reach. It would still not be anything even remotely close to a gear though.

I think that Raleigh gave a big clue about the ability to do more with specific haki specialties, such as marigold's. In addition, Roger who "heard all things" may have had an advanced form of detection and intent.
Rather than a 4th gear, I would love to see Luffy create a new Haki form or show a kind of specialization.
[hr]

Also since the timeskip, luffy hasn't needed to pump his legs to enter gear 2nd. I think it's done mainly with haki now. He's done several jet pistols without the leg pump preparation.

Didn't notice this... wow, awesome. This may not have anything to do with Haki though and just that he has better control of his body. Remember in the flashback how Luffy could never get the gomu gomu pistol to work (it would bounce off the ground), initiating gear 2nd could be similar.

One way that Haki could enable Luffy to do something like put his body on fire is by the armor acting as a protection or resistant coating and thus allowing Luffy to resist being burned. I don't see that happening though

lpc2142
February 15, 2011, 04:05 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned. I have a feeling that luffy trained his body to the point that he can utilise gear 2 and 3 on different parts of his body at the same time. For example he used armament on his arm with gear 3 on his fist for elephant gun. Its possible that he could use gear 2 on his upper arm from his forearm to shoulder. This way he can deal serious damage with ultimate speed but less strain on his body unlike what he did on thriller bark where he used gear 2 on his full body and 3 to inflate himself

minimz
February 15, 2011, 05:09 AM
I'm fairly sure only CoA will help the fire thing. This is because it seems that each sister has their haki strengths. Hancock had CoC, the one on fire had CoA, and the slim one had CoO when fighting luffy (I'm sure the one on fire and the slim one both knew the other Haki, just not CoC, and it just wasn't as familiar to them). I believe this because the slim one, when tied to the one on fire couldn't resist against the fire, and was in pain. As they were fighting Luffy, they each only showed the one they were good at, or at least Oda portrayed that.

kkck
February 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
Well, the sister who used color of observation also used some iron hair thing to fight. I think that would be somewhat comparable to the fire thing in some way. More importantly, there has to be some serious armor haki for her to use hair as hard as iron (so I do doubt observation haki was her specialty so to speak).

Anyways, I still think gears refer to specific and special uses of his devil fruit. I don't think using haki to light himself on fire counts as a gear at all. It is possible he can use haki to modify himself and use his fruit in a special way though.

Uriel
March 01, 2011, 12:17 PM
http://kukriblades.deviantart.com/art/How-gear-4th-works-68598136

A great theory about 4th Gear.

kkck
March 01, 2011, 12:40 PM
Not sure I understand the bit of the overflowing rubber mass.

no_regretsYSL
March 01, 2011, 01:51 PM
I kind of want Luffy's Gear 4th to be just like Nightmare Luffy without the sword proficiency. I mean it is without a doubt the best combination of the first 2 (or second two??) gears. That plus haki would be pretty epic.

Jorge D. Dragon
March 04, 2011, 12:53 PM
LordUriel
That's an interesting theory.:) I actually thought of something like this.:) It would be like the pineacle of his power and combined with Haki it might easily help him to take out the strongest opponents like Yonkou and Admirals, cause it can clearly accumulate immense power in a small form.:)

bopnoh10
March 26, 2011, 06:41 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while and how about hardening his body by becoming smaller? The rubber then becomes more dense..

soulji
March 28, 2011, 04:06 AM
Anyways, I still think gears refer to specific and special uses of his devil fruit. I don't think using haki to light himself on fire counts as a gear at all. It is possible he can use haki to modify himself and use his fruit in a special way though.

I disagree. Cause all of his "named" moves are "specific and special uses of his devil fruit." The gears augment his "named" moves. And Sandersonia's fire armor would add fire and hardness to his "named" moves.

Also, I think the post-timeskip Gear 2nd is all haki cause he doesn't do the leg pumps and still gets steam.

I kind of want Luffy's Gear 4th to be just like Nightmare Luffy without the sword proficiency. I mean it is without a doubt the best combination of the first 2 (or second two??) gears. That plus haki would be pretty epic.

I agree Nightmare Luffy's density would make a good gear 4 but after Ace's death I'm leaning towards Sandersonia's fire armor.

It is the perfect way to carry the will of Ace into the new world.

soulji
October 27, 2011, 09:25 AM
Luffy just used a Hiken Fire Fist, though he was still in Gear 2. :D

Please remember to use spoiler tags when the chapter just got out.

kkck
October 27, 2011, 05:29 PM
:zomg
Just saying lol.

BlackHair
October 27, 2011, 05:49 PM
haha - Excellent prediction. :D

Honestly back then I would have dismissed ur theory immediately. 'Cause I thought this would be too obvious, but glad it turned to be right. Badass looking move. Certainly in my eyes more inspired by Akainu then Ace.

kkck
October 28, 2011, 01:31 AM
^The technique is an obvious tribute to ace, it was by no means inspired by akainu. Heck, "fire fist" was ace's nickname and he even had such a technique. I do wonder what the mechanisms of the technique are though. Does he set his haki on fire? Or perhaps the hardened pores from the hardinging increase cause an increase in temperature due to friction when using it in conjunction with gear 2?

soulji
October 30, 2011, 08:07 PM
:zomg
Just saying lol.

I still think full body flame will count as a gear.

kkck
October 30, 2011, 08:10 PM
^The manga stated that the attack was part of gear two lol. Its fact that the whole hiken thing is by no means another gear. Even the hardening is not another gear lol.

soulji
October 30, 2011, 08:55 PM
^The technique is an obvious tribute to ace, it was by no means inspired by akainu. Heck, "fire fist" was ace's nickname and he even had such a technique.

You're right its an obvious tribute, but the explosion at the end is different. I don't remember any of Ace's attacks exploding like that. It reminds me of Akainu.

^I do wonder what the mechanisms of the technique are though. Does he set his haki on fire? Or perhaps the hardened pores from the hardinging increase cause an increase in temperature due to friction when using it in conjunction with gear 2?

I think your first explanation is the simpler of the two. I think Gear 2nd allows him to punch fast enough to light his haki on fire like Marigold, instead of using matches. I think he then contains/shapes the fire around his hand with Busoshoku, then release it on impact. Explosion.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

^The manga stated that the attack was part of gear two lol. Its fact that the whole hiken thing is by no means another gear. Even the hardening is not another gear lol.

I know, hiken is an attack. I never thought that Hiken would be Gear 4th. I wrote the title like that cause it was catchy. I felt that lighting his whole body on fire like Marigold would be Gear 4th, and he would do moves like hiken from the stance of having his whole body on fire. I envisioned it augmenting all of his moves, Instead of more speed like Gear 2nd or more power like Gear 3rd, it would add fire attacks to moves like Axe or Bazooka or Gatling Gun.

Fox666
April 09, 2015, 10:19 AM
My thoughts:

If Luffy has not used Gear Second until now, it will be burden for his body far worse than Gear Second. It will also fit with this arc theme involving Law.

Gear Second and Third were heavily connected to Luffy's Devil Fruit ability. But vulcanization has already been used for other techniques. Dunno what else it could be.

It shall be fire-based, since Luffy already used fire technique and is somewhat fitting to other gears. But it would not be simply as having his body covered in fire, but something on a different level. He could even melt his own body to create some substance that acts like lava.

Gear Second was based on the Kaio-ken from Dragon Ball, so it could be a Super Saiyan-esque power-up.

Since Luffy fighting style is already influenced by Hokuto no Ken, he may use rubber to apply tension to the opponents body and destroy them from inside.

When Luffy used Gear Second against CP9, it made his own fighting style very similar to Rokushiki. So Luffy may be able to slice things like Doflamingo own ability. Not to mention it could be a way to counter Doflamingo Devil Fruit.

Following the battle with Crocodile, Luffy used an element (water) to defeat him. This time Luffy could use another element to help him. I am thinking of wind since it would give him an slicing ability.

Luffy also used his own blood to fight Crocodile. So he could launch fragments of his flesh as projectiles.

Since rubber is malleable, Luffy may drastically change the shape of his body.

Edit: The latest chapter made a clear point about the limitations of Gear Second and Third:

Gear Second is not strong enough.
http://i.imgur.com/OxcYx3T.png

And Gear Third is not fast enough.

http://i.imgur.com/qCzmskW.png

So Gear Fourth will be both strong and fast.

jaymizzo
April 09, 2015, 11:53 AM
The thing is, unlike Logia, melting his own body would be a terrible disadvantage to Luffy and would seriously harm him. He cannot regenerate those body parts like a Logia user can nor can he detach them. I doubt it would be something similar to lava.

The theory I liked the most is the spring theory which was posted in the chapter discussion. Would really work very well with Luffys DF and the side effects would also make a lot of sense (like G2 side effects).

TitaniumOxide
April 09, 2015, 12:07 PM
If I remember correctly, Luffy used both gear second and third to fight Moriah. So...speed and size. I'm thinking gear fourth might make him flat. Since he is made of rubber, if he can be blown up and be elastic, he should also be able to make himself flat. Being flat can help with gliding in the air as well as slicing your enemies.

Barrier
April 09, 2015, 06:45 PM
When he used it against moriah it gave you some serious side effects and thanks to kuma we never got to find out. Now luffy might have learned to control it like gear second and named it gear 4. I hope my theory is wrong because that move sucks. It's not cool. It only worked because moriah was big. The move did not finish him off, the mast did.

Lighty
April 09, 2015, 07:04 PM
Maybe we have already seen a part of what gear 4 might look like. Im talking about the Gomu Gomu no Red Hawk.
As we know Red Hawk is a combination of Gear 2 and Haki but what if Gear 4 takes that concept and enhances it even more.
That means Luffys hole body would be covered in flames, giving him a super saiyin like aura which would be a logic continuation of kaioken (gear 2) and ape form (gear 3). It would also show his connection with ace and be a pretty badass matchup with Akainu.
AND most importantly it could be explained why Luffy didn't use that Gear against Hody in the water - just because its fire and wouldn't work there. Only a limited attack of that kind (red hawk) was possible there, thats why Luffy was limited in his options there.
Moreover we already saw that the red hawk has damaged Doffy a bit and gear 4 would probobly take this attack to a hole different level.
It could also be helpful to burn away the birdcage and Doflamingos strings.

henhead
April 09, 2015, 08:24 PM
Other than hardening himself without growth (growing larder than gear 3 might be dangerous in that shrinking cage), I can picture Luffy collecting a massive amount of haki (could be mixture of different haki, pure conquerors haki, etc.) by initially puffing up first and having that puffiness disappear into his limbs to make him very buff (and dark because of the haki). The drawbacks would be much more dire than gear 3 and there might be a short time limit, therefore Luffy will have to do or die it similar to when he used gear 3 to get rid of tough foes in the past. Luffy might receive drastic increase in speed and power along with the special traits of the conqueror's haki (we haven't seen the full potential of the conqueror's haki yet. Simply making opponents pass out might not be the only special trait of this haki).

M3J
April 09, 2015, 08:49 PM
Has to be related to power, and probably speed. As some chap said in this thread, Luffy's issue was not having power or speed to hit Cell, much like Trunks when he faced off against Cell and discovered goin past SSJ2 was useless. Luffy needs strength behind his punches as Gear 2 isn't doing it, and while Gear 3 is strong, it's too slow.

RedBerserk
April 09, 2015, 10:42 PM
Gear 2 was related to blood, Gear 3 to bones, my guess is that Gear 4 will be about muscles, but I don't really know where that could lead, maybe he will achieve a form similar to "nightmare Luffy".

Szklak
April 10, 2015, 07:51 AM
I have a feeling that G4 might enable Luffy to use attacks similar to Elizabello's King Punch, but on a smaller scale (for now).

How?

Probably, as many have already speculated, speeding up the blood flow, expanding his muscles (maybe bones as well) to some extent and vulcanising his body with haki. This alone would make him stronger while maintaining G2 speed. His G4 attacks would most likely have shorter range. The overall nature of G4 would be that of a shotgun.

The thing is, in my opinion, that would only put him on equal ground with Doffy (who probably still has some ace in his sleeve)… This is why he might need something to put the nail in Doffy’s coffin.

Something like a technique inspired by King Punch.

Why?

- Luffy saw the whole block B fight in the colloseum and was in awe after witnessing King Punch.
- Dagama mentioned that Elizabello is able to use this technique because of his “impeccable body” (G4 takes care of that).
- Dagama also said that it would work even against a Yonkou (and Luffy seems to be destined to fight 3 of them).
- It would make Doffy’s plan of luring Luffy into the colloseum work against him to even greater extent than it already had.
- This technique gives Luffy some serious potential for growth in the future.

sir_rocky
April 10, 2015, 08:11 AM
Maybe it will be something similar to what Gon did in HxH

Gon forcibly aged his body by sacrificing his nen and got power far beyond what he was capable of at that time.

Maybe Luffy will do something similar but not so drastic, he could speed up his blood even more than in gear second and somehow force his muscles and body to develop further for a short time or something so that he has a more mature appearance and increased strength and speed.

Impossibility
April 10, 2015, 09:29 AM
I can't imagine fire is going to factor into it. Sanji already exists; it'd be some pretty unnecessary overlap. Gear 2nd itselfups his stats, specifically his speed. Gear 3rd simply increased his attack through sheer size. The sticking point has been a fundamental change to his own body. I would think it would follow that Gear 3rd is likely to be the same. It's likely to come at the cost of significant stamina, and his own health to some extent, and will likely have some sort of stringent limit at this point. It's probably going to be somewhere along the line of altering his muscles to increase their limits.

chess4
April 10, 2015, 09:52 AM
I think it will be a faster, stronger version of gear 2nd

Alberto
April 10, 2015, 09:54 AM
I have 2 theories for Gear 4th:

1. Something like Toriko´s Kugi Punch. Luffy pushes his skin downwards from his arm, making it look a like his legs when he goes gear 2. So, when he punches, the accumulated skin will go back and forth on his arm, creating shockwaves, or multiple after-punches. He would have to hold his oponent so all the effect can happen. Also, this should take a toll on his arm, as he would also take the shockwave damage.

2. If Gear 2 is speed and Gear 3 is strength, Gear 4 could be about defense. Luffy could stretch the part of his body that was gonna take an attack, so the area affected by a hit or even a cut would be smaller. In this case, even if the hit used haki, it wouldnt diminish the effect of this defense.

keeper1h
April 10, 2015, 10:30 AM
I have noticed two things:

1) Luffy asked all the people around to leave, despite the cage is shrinking. Why, since Doflamingo can't damage anyone of them? (Cavendish Firewall: ON)

2) As someone told already, this scene is just like what Trunks did with Cell, it's just to explain the limit of previous tecniques against the new enemy.

To me, The attack must be something comparable to King Punch, but realized using Luffy's DF properties in a completely new way. It will be the same as saying "Luffy is going SSJ2!!!".
And as the one who told "it must be a spring!", I must now say that if it's a spring... I would be a little disappointed.

M3J
April 10, 2015, 01:42 PM
I think LadyLola is more correct in assuming/wishing for Luffy to contract to increase or keep his speed while increasing his power. His muscle mass contracting and being more focused would give him more power, while being smaller would give him the speed that he needs to hit Doflamingo. Luffy will probably suck the air out or something from his thumb and force his muscles to be more focused.

I can see the side effect being that one or two uses takes Luffy completely out, while Gear 2 just exhausted Luffy even more and gave him shorter lifespan while Gear 3 made him a midget.

ladylola
April 10, 2015, 02:46 PM
I think LadyLola is more correct in assuming/wishing for Luffy to contract to increase or keep his speed while increasing his power. His muscle mass contracting and being more focused would give him more power, while being smaller would give him the speed that he needs to hit Doflamingo. Luffy will probably suck the air out or something from his thumb and force his muscles to be more focused.

I can see the side effect being that one or two uses takes Luffy completely out, while Gear 2 just exhausted Luffy even more and gave him shorter lifespan while Gear 3 made him a midget.

The theory isn't mine, I think it originated with amitnaruto's post. (https://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/3000044-One-Piece-Chapter-783-Discussion-784-Predictions-Break-next-week.?p=4002292&viewfull=1#post4002292)
Basically having Luffy compress his muscles instead of inflating them could have a "spring" effect like Bellamy, hopefully without that visual effect. The more Luffy compresses his arm the more it releases power when it's released, this would allow him in theory to deal more damage, while staying fast, which in this chapter seems to be his forte.
The Gear 3 and Nightmare Luffy while having destructive power are slow, and as many have pointed out Luffy needs both speed and strength to take out DD. So a technique that would allow him to stay fast and deal more damage seems to be more logical at this point. Luffy cannot afford to be slow since DD is pretty fast too so he needs to keep up with him.
Now if he adds Haki to that and uses red hawk on both of his arms it will be even more destructive :verily

DutchPhoenix
April 10, 2015, 02:59 PM
I think it will be a combination of gear 3 and gear 2, like he used in the battle against moriah, having both power and speed.
However unlike at the time in hes fight against Moriah, now he has mastered it.

On the other hand, i think Zoro might have a simeliar secret new or more advanced power, hence the reason why we havent seen Asura even once in in the last 3 arcs, Fishman island, Punk Hazard and Dressrosa.
I think its also the reason why hes keeping hes eye closed.

What Sanji could have as a new powermode, will have something to do with Okama's, so he most likely will not use it, when any of hes nakama are around.

Fox666
April 10, 2015, 03:05 PM
Gear 2 was related to blood, Gear 3 to bones, my guess is that Gear 4 will be about muscles, but I don't really know where that could lead, maybe he will achieve a form similar to "nightmare Luffy".
I think you nailed it.

It would also give us an idea of what the side-effect is. By increasing his metabolism, it shortens his life-span. By inflating his bones, he becomes a midget. If it affected him right after using the technique, he would have an anorexic appearance. But that would be too much like Gear Third, and the two gears have somewhat distinct effect. It may be something more simple, like he suffering of pain for the next days, to the point he would be out of combat.

His G4 attacks would most likely have shorter range. The overall nature of G4 would be that of a shotgun.
You may be getting somewhere. Gear Second and Third have pros and cons. It would make sense to limit the range, if not completely remove his stretching ability. Then you could presume Gear 4 would solidify his body for this to happen, as many have already speculated.

Madness20
April 10, 2015, 08:43 PM
I feel gear four might just be an extension to gear second, in the way that it's an extreme pressure and heat that makes luffy actually become "on fire" like red hawk.
If not that, it might be that it is luffy's version of full body haki with the speed of gear second as well.

Well, only Oda knows in the end, we'll wait and see. It's bound to be good xD

M3J
April 10, 2015, 09:12 PM
I really hope Luffy doesn't get anything fire related, that's so dumb, especially after Luffy chose not to get mera mera no mi.

Madness20
April 10, 2015, 10:01 PM
I really hope Luffy doesn't get anything fire related, that's so dumb, especially after Luffy chose not to get mera mera no mi.
This is one piece man! xD I mean, we're seeing a story based on a rubber man as a hero, how dumb or not motivational did that seemed to you at first sight just by curiosity?

Holt
April 10, 2015, 10:12 PM
Already been mentioned but amitnaruto's (https://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/3000044-One-Piece-Chapter-783-Discussion-784-Predictions-Break-next-week.?p=4002292&viewfull=1#post4002292) theory of contraction is the most reasonable at this point. Gear 4 will likely be something related to contraction.

The stuff about a combination of the other gears has already been done before. If gear 4 is just that + Haki, it'd be extremely lazy on Oda's part imo. The one about full body coating is even more unlikely. That is already an ability shown by 2 characters so Luffy tagging it a gear as though it was unique to him doesn't make any sense. A full body coating + an existing gear is also nothing special and therefore wouldn't fit if it was called gear 4. I doubt it's anything fire related either. Luffy isn't a logia with fire powers. Using one attack which seemingly produces a little fire effect doesn't mean he goes 'flame on' for gear 4. The mechanics and explanations for such a thing wouldn't fit either.

M3J
April 10, 2015, 10:38 PM
This is one piece man! xD I mean, we're seeing a story based on a rubber man as a hero, how dumb or not motivational did that seemed to you at first sight just by curiosity?

but I'm not talking about the premises of the manga itself (wasn't dumb to me in the first place), I'm talking about what's in the story. It makes no sense for Luffy to be able to use fire, given only very few can. I don't know about Sanji, but isn't his leg usually hot/flamed up, not on fire?

Genjil
April 11, 2015, 05:04 AM
Somehow, I picture Gear 4 transforming Luffy into a Popeye double; mass concentration of muscle on all limbs, but remaining the same in overall appearance.

Syphin
April 11, 2015, 08:18 AM
The big question on everyone's mind is 'what is Gear Fourth'? How has Oda developed Luffy's abilities and allowed him to push himself beyond his current limits? And how will Luffy's fighting style and attacks evolve with Gear Fourth?

A theory I have for Gear Fourth is Luffy incorporating the use of vibrations into his attacks. With his rubber body Luffy can create vibrations/enter into a "vibrating state" through rapidly stretching and contracting his body (vibrating his muscles). By hardening his limbs with Haki, Luffy can amplify the vibrations created within his body and apply them to his attacks where the vibrations being produced within him are transferred onto and into his opponent when the attack lands. In effect Gear Fourth will allow Luffy to perform piercing/focused attacks with vibrations that can bypass the defense of his opponent.

Ever since witnessing the destructive nature of the Happo Navy's Hasshoken (http://bato.to/read/_/183004/one-piece_ch715_by_mangarule/6) (and how unblockable such attacks are), I have been of the opinion that such a technique/form would be incredibly useful in evolving the way Luffy attacks and fights. Vibrations imbued onto Luffy's attacks would make them incredibly destructive as they would be able to pierce beyond the opponents defense and leave substantial damage. Vibration based attacks also don't have to directly land on the target, they can affect the surrounding area of the source. Gear Fourth will leave Luffy in a "vibrating state" (like an active car engine) allowing Luffy to perform attacks that generate shock waves. With such a Gear, Luffy can increase the destructive nature of his attacks and avoid having to inflate his limbs, which slows him down, to increase his strength.

Using vibrations against Doflamingo would be an effective way to bypass Doflamingo's defense and injure Doflamingo internally, which will also have the added effect of interrupting Doflamingo's internal "repairing" whenever he has it active. Doflamingo did ridicule Luffy for having weak punches but with vibrations imbued onto his attacks, Luffy can soon have Doflamingo eating those very words when his attacks are able to penetrate through Doflamingo's defenses. Vibrations can also be a good way for Luffy to affect the "string" power of Doflamingo by disrupting the resonance of the strings. I can imagine Luffy's finishing move sending Doflamingo flying into the Bird Cage and with the vibrational power behind that attack being transferred onto the Bird Cage, the strings forming the cage around Dressrosa would end up being disabled and undone, thereby destroying Bird Cage along with Doflamingo (and removing the "thorn" in Luffy's side).

The initial source of inspiration behind Gear Fourth is most likely Whitebeard and the way he utilised his Gura Gura no Mi during the Marineford War. Whitebeard's vibration imbued attacks were devastating and completely overwhelmed all those who were subject to it - including Akainu (http://bato.to/read/_/17704/one-piece_ch575_by_franky-house/5), Blackbeard (http://bato.to/read/_/17702/one-piece_ch576_by_franky-house/8) and the Marineford Island (http://bato.to/read/_/17704/one-piece_ch575_by_franky-house/7). Luffy may have gotten an idea from that experience about how to make his attacks more destructive.

The reason Luffy wanted his nakama away from the nearby area may be because of the destructive nature of Gear Fourth. Thanks to Luffy witnessing (http://bato.to/read/_/17715/one-piece_ch564_by_franky-house/11) Whitebeard's magnificence two years ago he realises how destructive (http://bato.to/read/_/17715/one-piece_ch564_by_franky-house/8) vibrations can be and is aware that with the release of Gear Fourth (if it is focused around vibrations), not even the Palace on top of the plateau would be safe.

Another significant point to note is by Luffy having a Gear that can utilise vibrations in his attacks, a means to combat Blackbeard, the current user of the Gura Gura no Mi, has opened up. Luffy's battle against Blackbeard will happen sometime in the future, it is an inevitable fate the two share. It is possible that with a Gear utilising vibrations Luffy can develop a way to counter Blackbeard's Gura Gura no Mi attacks and avoid being completely overwhelmed by it. Additionally Luffy can give Blackbeard (and Akainu) a taste of what the Gura Gura no Mi's power (vibrations) taste like again.

Gear Fourth incorporating vibrations (produced by Luffy's muscles) would help to evolve the way Luffy fights. Overtime Luffy may find ways to use Gear Fourth in conjunction with Gear Second and Third, if he hasn't already. A Gear Third attack used in Gear Fourth (vibrating state) would be a sight to see. A downside to Luffy using Gear Fourth would be overusing his stretching ability and tiring his muscles out ultimately leaving him in a fatigued state where he has reduced stretching ability. Upon using Gear Fourth Luffy will have to wait a while for his body to recover before being able to fully utilise the stretching ability his body offers.

Vibrations can evolve Luffy's fighting style in an interesting way, but ultimately it rest with Oda to determine how Luffy grows stronger. Can't wait for the next chapter.

Thanks for reading.

ShenGao
April 11, 2015, 08:50 AM
This theory sounds really good and much better than the Gear 2+3+Haki ones, but i'm confused how Luffy would be able to attack. If his body would be in a permanent state of vibrating wouldn't his normal attacks be useless? Most of the times Luffy stretches his body parts to his back so that when they shrink to their original size they gain speed for a strong attack, like his jet bazooka against Blueno. But if his arms would be non-stop vibrating wouldn't they be vibrating in every direction and instead of a bazooka he would have a attack like this: http://i23.mangapanda.com/one-piece/200/one-piece-59107.jpg
What i mean is that this vibrating fighting style would only be possible on a very close battle where stretching his body parts is out of question. So with this Gear 4 Luffy would have the strength of a jackhammer, but also the disadvantage that he can only fight very close to an enemy.

Still, that theory is good and would also give a tremendous destructive power boost to Luffy which he needs for now and the future.

Syphin
April 11, 2015, 09:48 AM
but i'm confused how Luffy would be able to attack.
I imagined it as Luffy vibrating his muscles to produce the vibrations but still being able to stretch.

I admit I did kick the logicality of my theory out the window the moment I decided to come up with a theory focusing instead on the creativity and usefulness of a new power-up for Luffy in the story.

ShenGao
April 11, 2015, 10:05 AM
I imagined it as Luffy vibrating his muscles to produce the vibrations but still being able to stretch.

I admit I did kick the logicality of my theory out the window the moment I decided to come up with a theory focusing instead on the creativity and usefulness of a new power-up for Luffy in the story.

Logic shouldn't matter in One Piece. I was just wondering if Luffy would still be able to fight like before or if he would have to develop a new way of fighting.

henhead
April 11, 2015, 11:15 AM
Logic shouldn't matter in One Piece. I was just wondering if Luffy would still be able to fight like before or if he would have to develop a new way of fighting.

I don't think Luffy will be vibrating himself like a guitar string while fighting Doffy. By vibration, I think he meant it's the CoC sending out bursts of haki that would be similar to a vibration/shock-like attack. All this foreshadowing of CoC could make this a possibility. Notice the streaks of black being shown when Luffy and Doffy are fighting with their CoC in 782. Now, if Luffy were to lets say imbue himself with CoC for gear 4, the types of attacks he could do might be filled with black streaks of haki bursting out and literally pulverizing Doffy to a point where he can't regenerate himself any further. For all we know so far about gear 4, it could be a combination of gear 2 and 3 and CoC, or purely the former or the latter mentioned in this sentence, etc. It's time I step back and just wait regarding this topic because the long wait for the next issue is driving me nuts.

Lighty
April 11, 2015, 06:58 PM
Somehow, I picture Gear 4 transforming Luffy into a Popeye double; mass concentration of muscle on all limbs, but remaining the same in overall appearance.

I also don't expect his outer appearance to change much. It would feel wrong for me.

hiper05
April 11, 2015, 08:30 PM
I got to say excellent read. Vibrations inspired by whitebeard is great way to give more power to Luffy. A lot of other forums where suggesting a nightmare Luffy form that combined speed and strength but I don't like the idea too much because if the form exists it would outclass g2 & g3 making the need to use these gears vanish.

My own idea also included vibrations as a power up but the end attack in my mind would be similar to shockwave like the one produced by Rob Lucci, a pure close range attack. But, reading your theory has introduced to me possible inspirations for the powerup and increased range like padho or whiteboards vibration attack.

xldon2lx
April 13, 2015, 03:37 AM
It's gonna be like all those usual animes...

This is gonna be something like goku vs cell or gon vs pitou where the protagonist is gonna get a power buff then overwhelms the enemy by dodging/blocking all its attacks and gets flown far away on each hit making an epic comeback. So my bet is luffy would get a speed & power boost like probably increasing the elasticity pressure of his body.

Or in simple terms just take for example a simple rubber band hitting you on the skin then upgraded to a rubber used by a slingshot or something. :D

Barrier
April 13, 2015, 04:38 AM
Gear second was blood, gear third was bone, my idea is gear fourth is muscle/flesh.

I thought it'd be interesting if he took full control of the elasticity of his body. In my idea of Gear Fourth, he retains the same shape, but gets slightly darker, like a lighter version of armament haki.

He'd fight in this way without stretching, as we're used to with the rest of his gears. When he fights in Gear Fourth, he takes any blow, or counters it with one of his own, has his body internally vibrate, strengthening the attack, and returning the attack with his own power PLUS the force he was hit with almost immediately.

Say someone punches him, and Luffy counters his punch by punching the dude in the fist (because that's how he fights) the dude's strength shockwave travels through Luffy's body into his attack on the other side of his body. When Luffy swings and hits the dude with his next punch, the force of that punch is Luffy's PLUS the force the dude hit him with at first.

Now, he could chain these attacks, as each successive attack could be considered stronger than the last (force waves bouncing back and forth inside of Luffy's body, allowing Luffy to strike at the right times to build them up and make them stronger).

Another idea I thought of is Luffy could go Gear Fourth, and start punching into his hand as he usually does before battle, and he just keeps punching harder and harder, faster and faster, building up the force, and then smashes the big bad in the face. That'd be an interesting introduction, we just see Luffy one shotting a big bad he's had trouble fighting previously with Gear Second and Third.

The downside, because every awesome bonus must have a downside is two fold:

One, if he doesn't connect with a hit after building up sucessive hits, the force just propagates uncontrollably throughout his body and he goes back to regular Luffy, with his limbs/body flailing everywhere as the forces he's been bouncing back and forth in his body are unleashed. Doesn't nessecarily cause bodily harm, but it makes Luffy temporarily lose control, for longer and stronger amounts of time based on how much force he's accumulated.

Two, and the real issue, if Luffy continues to attack like this and doesn't win in time, the forces inside of his body could build up enough to literally tear him apart. With this, if he gets to a certain point where he hasn't won yet, he'd have to force himself to miss and hope that the guy he's attacking doesn't take advantage of the fact that he'll be vulnerable when he loses control of the forces inside his body.

Maybe after some training he can learn to ground himself before building up too much power, but yeah.

Not my Idea

Kracken
April 13, 2015, 07:21 AM
I agree with amitnaruto's theory about contraction but I don't think he'll look the same. Every time Luffy's done a gear it's changed his body visibly, gear 2 he went pink and shiny with steam and gear 3 he got huge limbs. I think with gear 4 he may shrink a little, not to silly degrees like after gear 3 but if for example his arm muscles (and bones too maybe) all contracted I think the length of his arm would be shorter and I think the muscles would be bunched a bit up too so they'd look bigger. If this contraction happened to his entire body I think you'd be left with Luffy overall looking smaller but with bigger muscles. My only concern is Luffy's already small so shrinking him further might look silly while fighting such a tall opponent as Doflamingo.

flushfire
April 13, 2015, 12:28 PM
Eh. Vibrations are counter-intuitive considering rubber is commonly used as damping/anti-vibration material. I do understand that this is a work of fiction and some suspension of disbelief should be involved but not all reason (and laws of physics) should be thrown out.

CrimsonDOO
April 13, 2015, 02:30 PM
Hello

Someone said that G4 would have to be related to his muscles since G2 had to do with increasing his blood flow and G3 with expanding his bones. In the last chapter Luffy says something along the lines of "your birdcage is in MY way". This leads me to believe that Luffy will in fact expand if not for at least a moment. Doflamingo explains how the fight cannot last for more than an hour since everyone inside will die. One speculation is that the fight will be over quickly which does make sense. On the hand, they may be hinting that the birdcage will be destroyed by Luffy in to time, courtesy of G4. So either DD is going to get destroyed by G4 immediately OR Luffy is going to go G4 and destroy the cage in the process. It has been a long arc and maybe its time to wrap it up quickly but none of Luffy's fights are over quickly. Personally I feel like Luffy will destroy the Birdcage. (Which would be awesome since everyone in Dressrosa would be left in awe)

So my theory on G4 is very similar to contraction. On the last page Luffy is biting his arm. I'm thinking his will blow air into his muscles expanding them thus expanding himself so much that he tears the cage apart. From there when he looks like a giant ball of muscle Luffy will condense all the way back to his original form(just A LOT more muscle-toned). Just like Goku: Went Ape mode (G3) then condensed back to a more efficient form Ssj4 (G4?). It'll be cool to have him go from giant to small and just destroy DD.
OR
Luffy, instead of blowing air into his muscles through his arm, can suck his blood?. No Idea haha but basically he'd be doing the opposite of what he does for G3 which would contract his muscles and having the same effect.

The vibration idea someone previously said seem really cool but sort of overpowered. I think his power can't be too strong since there has to be room for improvement(G5!!!).

In any case my hype for this chapter led me to make an account to post this. No matter what G4 ends up being I'm sure we will all be happy nonetheless.

ladylola
April 13, 2015, 02:55 PM
I've seen many people say that Luffy was biting his hand in this page
http://readms.com/r/one_piece/783/2743/21
If he is then his teeth must be ridiculously small because I can't see them over his arm where they should normally appear where he "bites".
It's more likely that he's not biting his arm (he's not Eren) but you can see a vein popping in his arm,it could just to show how tense he is, or it's related to the activation of Gear 4.
I thought I'd clear that up.

Holt
April 13, 2015, 03:07 PM
Well he doesn't seem to be biting since his arm is infront of his mouth not under. Seeing that page just brings back all the hype :hip. That was a way to end the chapter.
Anyway, personally, I don't think he had started showing any gear 4 signs there. The veins are arguable but it doesn't seem like something to special and even if it was related, it doesn't give much in the way of hints. Still, it's weird that the vein has to be there considering 'anger' veins are usually on the face/forehead. Knowing Oda, it could really mean something but like I said, it isn't much for hints.

ladylola
April 13, 2015, 04:16 PM
Well he doesn't seem to be biting since his arm is infront of his mouth not under. Seeing that page just brings back all the hype :hip. That was a way to end the chapter.
Anyway, personally, I don't think he had started showing any gear 4 signs there. The veins are arguable but it doesn't seem like something to special and even if it was related, it doesn't give much in the way of hints. Still, it's weird that the vein has to be there considering 'anger' veins are usually on the face/forehead. Knowing Oda, it could really mean something but like I said, it isn't much for hints.

In a physical effort the veins tend to appear more, so maybe at that time the muscles in his arm were made tense, as in him contracting his muscles, but it could be anything really.

Pea
April 14, 2015, 05:18 AM
I made a lil drawing here. This is what I expect from Gear 4 :)

https://pp.vk.me/c623324/v623324634/2488a/uzOUei-VxNo.jpg

Holt
April 14, 2015, 05:23 AM
That's a nice illustration. I have similar thoughts that he expands then contracts but I'm not sure about the aura part.

Pea
April 14, 2015, 05:29 AM
That's a nice illustration. I have similar thoughts that he expands then contracts but I'm not sure about the aura part.

Certainly there might be no visible aura, but at the very least I hope Luffy learns to attack from a distance without making a direct body contact with an enemy. It would come in handy when he fights Blackbeard.

Barrier
April 14, 2015, 07:37 AM
I made a lil drawing here. This is what I expect from Gear 4 :)

https://pp.vk.me/c623324/v623324634/2488a/uzOUei-VxNo.jpg

LOL! Nice drawing!

The illustration of your's look cool but this opposes luffy's fighting style - which is charge in and punch. This looks like a safe move where he is not in danger. But this will be a good move to take out the birdcage along with DD without slicing up his hand

hokageji
April 14, 2015, 01:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_rubber

Smart rubber is a polymeric material that is able to "heal" when torn.

Doflamingo's strings can do some serious damage and cuts, the rubber will be able to heal itself. I think Gear 4 would have to do something with that. Maybe Luffy would be able to split his body into 2, one with gear 2 and 3 and then be able to merge them later and heal over a period.

keeper1h
April 14, 2015, 08:30 PM
New idea: I'm wondering if it's not about Luffy fighting with his limbs literally propelled by compressed air - just like firing them from the Gaon Cannon.
He inflates his upper arms/thighs and then he releases the pressure leaving the rest to his elastic body.
Since we are talking about Luffy, the result of this is a force able to send Doflamingo flying into his birdcage, crushing it in the process. And maybe the recoil will heavily damage even the Flower Field.
(IMHO Gear 4 must surpass King Punch)

jamarTheDem
April 15, 2015, 12:21 AM
GEAR 2 - Speed , Agility & Quickness . (Blood) *Speeds Up Blood Flow To Increase Speed . Friction Creates Speed .*

GEAR 3 - Brute Strength , Bigger Attacks , Longer Load Up Time (Bone) *Blows Into His Bone/Flesh To Gain Brute Strength*

GEAR 4 - Using His Veins/Flesh To Gain Even Greater "Short Distance" Strength Also The Ability To Use Air Pressure Hits/Kicks Picked Up From Jinbe . The Cost Of This Technique Is The Lost Of His Reach , So Now He's Still Able To Stretch But Only Short Distances Because His Muscles Contracts In His Arms & Legs To Such A Small Density That Once He Let His Muscle Go It's Like A SHOTGUN Instead Of A Pistol . Shorter Distance But More Power And More Speed . (Muscles) *Uses His Muscles To Gain The Ability To Strike Like Lightning Or A Shotgun .*

What Do You Guys/Gals Think ?:)

kkck
April 15, 2015, 05:28 PM
Well, the last chapter ends with luffy apparently being about to bite into his arm. Which is basically what he does for gear 3. So it makes sense to assume he will force air into himself. Also, within the context of the chapter the implication is that luffy is fast enough to deal with doflamingo, the issue is him lacking the physical strength to do damage. So what I am thinking is that gear 4 will address precisely that. Gear 2 is fast and increases his firepower but only because of the increase in speed. Gear 3 is perhaps slower than even regular luffy but makes up for it with his size and increased physical strength. Gear 4 will basically be luffy forcing air into himself but instead of inflating himself he will compress it, his size will not be altered in any way. So he will be able to maintain his speed(logically the air should weight him down but I am going to assuming funky manga physics for this one) and attack with increased strength.

porks
April 16, 2015, 12:06 AM
gear 4th is..

Mini Luffy. dense rubber, full haki.

kkck
April 16, 2015, 12:48 PM
I am not sure if it would make sense for luffy's gear to actually include haki. So far the gears are independent of haki, basically special uses of his DF. I am not sure if oda at this point would change that to make a gear specifically require haki. Although if my theory is correct then perhaps it would make sense that he uses haki to harden himself and prevent himself from inflating.

jamarTheDem
April 16, 2015, 09:21 PM
I didn't see him bite his arm , what I seen is him putting his arm infront of his mouth . I still think His Muscle contraction is Gear 4 activator . Same as Gear 2 is him pumping his blood/heart rate and Gear 3 is him using his bone marrow/flesh .

Barrier
April 17, 2015, 06:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-haE4ITT_eY

Someone might have mentioned it, but this guy explains it very well.

kkck
April 17, 2015, 07:55 AM
Well, luffy already does something like that via haki hardening. I am not sure if becoming harder than he already is thanks to haki would be of much use. Its a viable explanation though. And that would work too with my idea :p

david5578
April 17, 2015, 04:54 PM
Some spoiler in here
Hello,
First, of All this is my first Thread I have open in this website so hello to everybody.
Second, I am not gonna talk about what I think will Luffy's Gear 5th will be, rather when will Luffy will "get/achive" hes next Gear.
As most of you know , Luffy achived Gear 4th vs Doflamingo. Not to brag or something but I thoght that will happed. I will expain why in few more min.
First of all, as you all know the "Devil Fruits" are divided into 3 categories. Zoan, Paramecia, Logia.
Zoan - the weakest , Paramecia - Middle, Logia - Strongest.
So far luffy achived new (one or two) gear by fighting the "strongest" (more like main antgonist) Devil Fruit Owner of those categories.
Rob Lucci - "Strongest" Zoan Owner, Luffy achived 2nd and 3rd Gear.
Donquixote Doflamingo - "Strongest" Paramecia Owner, Luffy achived Gear 4th.
Now, I think that the next Strongest Logia Owner is Marshall D. Teach aka Blackbeard and not Sakazuki SO, when Luffy will fight Blackbeard he will achive Gear 5th.
P.S.
I don't think that Blackbeard is the One piece main antagonist I think it's the Gorosei (heads of the World Government) and they are really strong, and maybe Luffy will achive Gear 6th after fighting them.
if you wanna know why I think like that go and watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY9tyIcvOIA
Hope you enjoy this,

Barrier
April 17, 2015, 06:53 PM
That's too many gears! Don't you think it will be so boring and predictable? And if he achieve gear 6 as you say; wouldn't we lose all the hype when he uses gear 2nd? and when he is normal he would be very weak.
I personally want Oda to stop at gear 4 and don't go for any further power ups.

I also don't get how you classify the strongest zoan and paramecia to be lucci and doflamingo respectively. Well yeah lucci is strong, no doubt about it, but not because of his fruit, but because of him mastering rokushiki. If all lucci did was transform into a leopard and start fighting gear 2nd luffy, he would be out flat in 10 seconds! Pell and Chaka were really strong too but they don't have rokushiki so yeah.
And DD the strongest Paramecia he has faced so far? umm..... I will have to diagree with that one too. Magellan is one of the strongest he has faced so far in my opinion. Tbh, I still am not sure of how luffy will beat him even after the time skip. His venom demon his a hax among hax's.

Well, these are my opinions too, so I am not saying you are wrong.
But great post! And welcome to Mangahelpers :)

david5578
April 18, 2015, 05:50 AM
First of all thanx for the replay,
Second, I don't know about the Gear 6, but I am sure the he will achive Gear 5 at some point.
It has been 10 year's (mabye more with the anmie pacing) since we've got an new gear and to be honest the Gear 2nd and Gear 3rd was getting old.
And ever sinece luffy had mastered Gear 2nd and 3rd he is bearly using the normal form (unless it's a pack of normal marins and pirates). I totaly agree that to many Gear's are boring and predictable. But every Gear present a new milestone in Luffy's dream of becoming the Pirate King.
At the time Rob Lucci was the strongest Zona (not Mythical Zoan)Owner we knew, And he pushed Luffy to his limites. Luffy managed to beat him and achive a new milestone.
Same with Dofi he was pushed to the very limit and then he achived the Gear 4th, And the difference between Magellan and Dofi is that Luffy has already fight him didn't achive any change to his ablilty (expct getting immunity poison, as we saw in Fishman Island vs Hyouzou), Cuz it was not the point at the same time (btw I don't think we will see Magellan any more).
I am not saying that they are the strongest Devil Fruit Owner's (I put a "" on the word strongest, I am sure that Big Mom and Kaido are more powerful Zoan and Paramecia user's) I am saying that they are the main antagonist of that same furit type, that will push Luffy to his limits and make him achive a new milestone of becoming the Pirate King (If that make's any sense).
Btw there are 5-6 gears in a car and every gear "make the car stronger" (not really but you get the point) same with Luffy he will have (in my opioin) at least 5 gears and every gear will make him stronger.
Hope you got the point,

P.S
I have got to say that this is my favorite Manga/Anime Thanx Oda :)

ladylola
April 18, 2015, 08:24 AM
Hmm I don't think it's fair to dismiss the idea of a fifth gear because there's too many of them. I personally think Oda could go to Gear 6 if it's necessary. Since OP could last another decade, it would make sense for Luffy to achieve as many gears as he achieved in the first half of the manga, meaning 3. Also It is not impossible seeing how far Oda can plan.
Welcome to the forums btw :). And I think it would be wise to change the title of the thread to avoid confusion. Unless you really plan of discussing what Gear 5 will be like after Gear 4 is revealed of course.

david5578
April 18, 2015, 11:44 AM
What title should I put instead?

Barrier
April 18, 2015, 01:33 PM

The time luffy receives gear 5 or something along those lines

M3J
April 18, 2015, 01:51 PM
Gear 4 is pushing it, anything past that would suck. Luffy doesn't need new gears, he should focus on improving his own combat abilities, be as good as Ace and Sabo were prior to their devil fruit, and still as good as Ace when he was fighting Blackbeard years after getting his fruit.

ShenGao
April 18, 2015, 02:04 PM
Of course there will be a Gear 5. Luffy is about to use his Gear 4 against Doflamingo, someone who would easily be crushed by Kaidou, Shanks or Blackbeard. How should he survive against these 3 with only 4 Gears if he has to already use Gear 4 against Doflamingo?

About when he will use/show it: I think he already learned Gear 5. He trained for 2 years, 1 1/2 was Haki training, so that makes 6 months of Gears training. A much bigger timeframe than when he learned Gear 2 and 3, from the defeat against Aokiji until Enies Lobby, giving him enough time to master Gear 2+3 and learn the new Gears.
I think Gear 5 is something for a situation where no other option is left, because the the backlash of Gear 5 is something that will make Luffy go out of all energy and collapse. Against the birdcage there are still other options left like Fujitora, Zoro or Sabo, but against Kaidou who would be only 1 second away from killing a Strawhat Gear 5 is the only option, do or die.

ladylola
April 18, 2015, 02:39 PM

Already took care of it :)

milek
April 18, 2015, 02:46 PM
Probably at the end and final enemy. Who know we might even not see gear 5.

Holt
April 18, 2015, 06:38 PM
Tbh, I don't fancy Luffy getting a Gear 5 or more. I think Gear 4 should be the last. He doesn't need to get more, he just needs to improve and strengthen his current ones. Besides, would there even be more ideas for a fifth gear?

Barrier
April 19, 2015, 09:11 AM
Of course there will be a Gear 5. Luffy is about to use his Gear 4 against Doflamingo, someone who would easily be crushed by Kaidou, Shanks or Blackbeard. How should he survive against these 3 with only 4 Gears if he has to already use Gear 4 against Doflamingo?

About when he will use/show it: I think he already learned Gear 5. He trained for 2 years, 1 1/2 was Haki training, so that makes 6 months of Gears training. A much bigger timeframe than when he learned Gear 2 and 3, from the defeat against Aokiji until Enies Lobby, giving him enough time to master Gear 2+3 and learn the new Gears.
I think Gear 5 is something for a situation where no other option is left, because the the backlash of Gear 5 is something that will make Luffy go out of all energy and collapse. Against the birdcage there are still other options left like Fujitora, Zoro or Sabo, but against Kaidou who would be only 1 second away from killing a Strawhat Gear 5 is the only option, do or die.

I fail to believe that DD will get crushed by Kaido easily, imo it will be a close match. Your assumption of DD losing to Kaido is when law told DD that DD is scared of Kaido and your conclusion to that statement is Kaido rapes DD (effortlessly)! Why don't you consider some other reason for why he is scared? DD is very strong, near Admiral level and he knows what Admiral level is. He is not scared of Fujotra and Aokiji as we have seen. He is also confident that he can kill fujitora and as I said he knows what an admiral is capable of so he is most likely not bluffing.

We still haven't seen what gear 4 is and you are already assuming that it is weak and not able to keep up with a yonko. What if gear 4 is hella strong? Then there shouldn't be a possibility of gear 5.

ShenGao
April 19, 2015, 10:23 AM
I fail to believe that DD will get crushed by Kaido easily, imo it will be a close match. Your assumption of DD losing to Kaido is when law told DD that DD is scared of Kaido and your conclusion to that statement is Kaido rapes DD (effortlessly)! Why don't you consider some other reason for why he is scared? DD is very strong, near Admiral level and he knows what Admiral level is. He is not scared of Fujotra and Aokiji as we have seen. He is also confident that he can kill fujitora and as I said he knows what an admiral is capable of so he is most likely not bluffing.

We still haven't seen what gear 4 is and you are already assuming that it is weak and not able to keep up with a yonko. What if gear 4 is hella strong? Then there shouldn't be a possibility of gear 5.

Emperor level is something you earn yourself if your and the strength of your crew equals that of Whitebeard and his crew, something Blackbeard did by stealing his power and assembling a crew consisting of the most dangerous prisoners of Impel Down. You can't call yourself an Emperor if you don't have this strength, and DD does in no way have such a strength. The fact that his whole crew got annhiliated by the Strawhats and some other pirates which are below the Strawhats in the term of strength and that he got serious wounds from Law is proof of that.

Fujitora is a new Admiral, and he doesn't even take this whole situation serious. Aokiji is the same, he didn't want Smoker to get killed, but he also didn't want to seriously fight DD. Someone like Akainu would have crushed him in a matter of seconds, Akainu fought for some time during Marineford War alone against Whitebeard and after his death he didn't stop form chasing Luffy and attacking the whole Whitebeard Crew, so DD is nowhere near the strength of a true Admiral, someone whos mission is to kill/defeat DD.

Why do i think there will be Gear 5? Easy, Luffy has to use Gear 4 already against someone like DD, someone like I pointed out is not as strong as an Emperor or an Admiral. And do you really think Gear 4 will be enough for the 10+ years of One Piece, that Luffy only needs to train for 2 years and he already can fight Emperors and Admirals? His Gear 4 is something which was developed in 6 months, which makes it even more unrealistic that Luffy is already strong enough to fight these strong enemies, with only 6 months of training.

Fox666
April 19, 2015, 10:46 AM
I don't think it's fair to undermine Doflamingo or Fujitora in comparison to Aokiji or Akainu. Doflamingo is one of the few characters who didn't receive a single scratch after the battle in Marineford. And it took the combined effort of Luffy and Law to fight him. The defeat of Doflamingo by no means would put Luffy on his level.

Barrier
April 19, 2015, 02:32 PM
Emperor level is something you earn yourself if your and the strength of your crew equals that of Whitebeard and his crew, something Blackbeard did by stealing his power and assembling a crew consisting of the most dangerous prisoners of Impel Down. You can't call yourself an Emperor if you don't have this strength, and DD does in no way have such a strength. The fact that his whole crew got annhiliated by the Strawhats and some other pirates which are below the Strawhats in the term of strength and that he got serious wounds from Law is proof of that.

Fujitora is a new Admiral, and he doesn't even take this whole situation serious. Aokiji is the same, he didn't want Smoker to get killed, but he also didn't want to seriously fight DD. Someone like Akainu would have crushed him in a matter of seconds, Akainu fought for some time during Marineford War alone against Whitebeard and after his death he didn't stop form chasing Luffy and attacking the whole Whitebeard Crew, so DD is nowhere near the strength of a true Admiral, someone whos mission is to kill/defeat DD.

Why do i think there will be Gear 5? Easy, Luffy has to use Gear 4 already against someone like DD, someone like I pointed out is not as strong as an Emperor or an Admiral. And do you really think Gear 4 will be enough for the 10+ years of One Piece, that Luffy only needs to train for 2 years and he already can fight Emperors and Admirals? His Gear 4 is something which was developed in 6 months, which makes it even more unrealistic that Luffy is already strong enough to fight these strong enemies, with only 6 months of training.

First of all, Kaido is not WB level. WB was on a league of his own. Kaido could be seen as a coward as he planned on attacking WB and his crew after WB was tired from battle but BB got the jib done.

You did not read my comment properly (maybe you did), I said that DD will not be defeated easily as you said he would. I never said that DD crew equals Yonko crew. I find DD’s pirates to be exceptionally weak compared to what DD is capable of. But DD is very very strong. As fox666 said he walked out of the marineford war alive and unscathed. What makes you say that Akainu would have finished off DD very easily? If you do have proof then show me and I will believe you.
Also you underestimate Fujitora on a whole new level. Mate, he is an ADMIRAL! Doesn’t that say everything? He was handpicked by Akainu himself, so surely he can’t be any bad. His fruit another admiral class hax fruit. Also Akainu respects him, we can see that when the news came that DD’s title of shichibukai is still there and Fujitora did not know of that so Akainu apologised.

As i said we do not know what gear 4 is capable of so it's still early to judge. And why does everyone forget how quickly luffy improves? When he went down Impel Down it took luffy+buggy+Mr2+Mr3 to take defeat THE MINOTAURUS. After less than a day later when he climbed back up, he dfeated it with just one punch.

ShenGao
April 19, 2015, 03:04 PM
First of all, Kaido is not WB level. WB was on a league of his own. Kaido could be seen as a coward as he planned on attacking WB and his crew after WB was tired from battle but BB got the jib done.

You did not read my comment properly (maybe you did), I said that DD will not be defeated easily as you said he would. I never said that DD crew equals Yonko crew. I find DD’s pirates to be exceptionally weak compared to what DD is capable of. But DD is very very strong. As fox666 said he walked out of the marineford war alive and unscathed. What makes you say that Akainu would have finished off DD very easily? If you do have proof then show me and I will believe you.
Also you underestimate Fujitora on a whole new level. Mate, he is an ADMIRAL! Doesn’t that say everything? He was handpicked by Akainu himself, so surely he can’t be any bad. His fruit another admiral class hax fruit. Also Akainu respects him, we can see that when the news came that DD’s title of shichibukai is still there and Fujitora did not know of that so Akainu apologised.

As i said we do not know what gear 4 is capable of so it's still early to judge. And why does everyone forget how quickly luffy improves? When he went down Impel Down it took luffy+buggy+Mr2+Mr3 to take defeat THE MINOTAURUS. After less than a day later when he climbed back up, he dfeated it with just one punch.

Kaidou didn't try to kill Whitebeard AFTER the War, he tried to fight him BEFORE so that he couldn't save Ace.

Hancock, Mihawk and Kuma also got out of the war with no scratches, all of them got out cause no one of them fought seriously against high class pirates. They just fullfilled their duties of beeing present against Whitebeard, as seen by Mihawk who clearly said after Whitebeards death and Shanks arrival that he doesn't have any reason to stay any longer.

My proof that Akainu could easily kill Doflamingo is what was shown during the war and what you can see in the recent chapters: Akainu fought equally against Whitebeard, burned half of his face, got hit with a full power attack from an enraged Whitebeard and was still able to hunt Luffy and fight people like Marco, Vista and all the other elite pirate captains + crews. Meanwhile Doflamingo gets hit with one attack from Law and was about to die because of that one attack. And don't tell me that Laws "Gamma Knife" is stronger than a full power tremor hit from an enraged Whitebeard, because it isn't.

Fujitora may be an Admiral, so what? From all the Admirals shown the only one who really was at any time serious was Akainu. Kizaru, Aokiji and Fujitora seem like people who got promoted to the Admiral position because of their powers; ice, light and gravity; but from their behaviour many of the vice-admirals are much more suited to be an Admiral, but they aren't because they don't have such strong powers. I mean who would fear someone who looks like a dalmatian or a spider?

To wrap it all up: Doflamino is not near Admiral level, at least not a real Admiral who fights like his life depends on it like Akainu, Kaidou would crush Doflamingo easily just like Whitebeard could and Shanks or Blackbeard can, and Luffy not using a Gear 5 in the future is absurd, he should even go Gear 6 after another timeskip, because 2 years of training doesn't equal the strength of people like Kaidou, Akainu, Shanks and Blackbeard, otherwise Kid, Apo, Hawkins and the other supernovas should also be able to take on these 4.

Fox666
April 19, 2015, 04:42 PM
In regards of Luffy speed in Gear 3, this is an interesting reading: http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?b=15478

Fox666
April 19, 2015, 04:54 PM
And don't tell me that Laws "Gamma Knife" is stronger than a full power tremor hit from an enraged Whitebeard, because it isn't.
I tell. Even for One Piece standards, which characters seems to be fine after all sorts of fatal wounds, Law attack was brutal. Doflamingo is the only one who could survive having his internal organs sliced.

kkck
April 20, 2015, 12:25 AM
I think oda will go up to at least gear 5. He introduced 2 gears in part one, I could see two further gears in part 2. And more importantly, its a powerup luffy needs. Just look at how absurdly strong doflamingo is. Doflamingo in this arc has fought law, sanji, and the for quite some time law and has won most of his fights with relative ease. He even took an attack from law which basically destroyed his insides which he survived because his ability literally allowed him to stitch himself back up. Realistically speaking doflamingo right now is tired and half dead and even then luffy with haki and gear 2 and 3 is hardly a match. And even with doflamingo being this absurdly strong he is still hesitant to face any of the admirals and is scared shitless of the yonko. In his short time in the new world luffy has already earned the hatred of big mom and once the doflamingo situation is over he will have made an enemy of kaido for destroying doflamingo, his biggest supplier. Luffy will without a doubt grow stronger through the arcs however even that would not be enough against the threats he is up against... Gears allow him to fight at a level higher than normal an give him insane adaptability to different situations. Without at least a gear 4 and 5 I don't think he will be able to keep with with the strength of the insane guys he is about to take on at a remarkably young age. Assuming the pace will be similar to part one and that he is going to make enemies of the yonko and and admirals, luffy needs to be able to fight at least on par with one between a few months and a year from now.

Fox666
April 20, 2015, 12:56 AM
I think oda will go up to at least gear 5. He introduced 2 gears in part one, I could see two further gears in part 2. And more importantly, its a powerup luffy needs. Just look at how absurdly strong doflamingo is. Doflamingo in this arc has fought law, sanji, and the for quite some time law and has won most of his fights with relative ease. He even took an attack from law which basically destroyed his insides which he survived because his ability literally allowed him to stitch himself back up. Realistically speaking doflamingo right now is tired and half dead and even then luffy with haki and gear 2 and 3 is hardly a match. And even with doflamingo being this absurdly strong he is still hesitant to face any of the admirals and is scared shitless of the yonko. In his short time in the new world luffy has already earned the hatred of big mom and once the doflamingo situation is over he will have made an enemy of kaido for destroying doflamingo, his biggest supplier. Luffy will without a doubt grow stronger through the arcs however even that would not be enough against the threats he is up against... Gears allow him to fight at a level higher than normal an give him insane adaptability to different situations. Without at least a gear 4 and 5 I don't think he will be able to keep with with the strength of the insane guys he is about to take on at a remarkably young age. Assuming the pace will be similar to part one and that he is going to make enemies of the yonko and and admirals, luffy needs to be able to fight at least on par with one between a few months and a year from now.
You seems to be assuming that Gear 3 is superior to 2, and 4 will be superior to 3. I don't think that's the case. They provide a different set of abilities for different circumstances, and can even be combined.

For the same reason I wouldn't like more than 4 Gears. Otherwise Luffy's fighting style may go from being flexible to become too varied and inconsistent.

S-H-I-G-U-R-E
April 20, 2015, 03:46 AM
Gear 5th is a given, imo. I don't understand why some people believe it would be a stretch.

Syphin
April 20, 2015, 10:21 AM
That is where Haki comes in. By hardening his limbs, the dampening effect of Luffy's rubber body could be reduced. Vibrating his muscles and coating the particular limb he wants to attack with may allow him to produce vibrations through his body and not have it dampened by the hardened part of his rubber body.

It would be incredibly interesting if Luffy was able to find a way to use Haki to evolve the way he fights with his rubber body. Utilising vibrations would be a very effective way to bring Luffy up to the level where he can combat the many other characters within the New World who are able to utilise Haki. Luffy's attacks definitely do need to be stronger while maintaining his usual speed outside Gear 3, and making his attacks more penetrating (able to bypass the defense/Haki of others) does seem like a reasonable [and creative] way to achieve that.

Rather than Luffy just contracting his body to get smaller or increasing his size more to become a giant, I would prefer it if the Gears Luffy has come up with are able to be used in combination with each other. If Gear Fourth involves Luffy contracting himself, he would be unable to use Gear 3 in that form (since it is the opposite of Gear 3). Luffy being able to vibrate his muscles and coating his limbs in Haki should be able to work while he has Gear Second and/or Third active.

Anyway with the commentary at the end of chapter 783 focusing on Luffy surpassing/breaking through his limits - "with all his heart and soul, he breaks through his limits!" - I wouldn't mind if Luffy used Haki to surpass the limits of his rubber body and actually found a way to infuse vibrations into his attack.

https://12dimension.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/one_piece_ch783_p019-e1428662328647.png

M3J
April 20, 2015, 02:10 PM
Tbh, I don't fancy Luffy getting a Gear 5 or more. I think Gear 4 should be the last. He doesn't need to get more, he just needs to improve and strengthen his current ones. Besides, would there even be more ideas for a fifth gear?

A g r e e d !!

One idea is gomu gomu no big boner! :derp

But yeah, Luffy getting Gear 5 would suck. He needs to focus on his own base combat abilities, especially if the gears have price to pay for using them, like becoming a midget or shortening life span and becoming exhausted quicker. If Luffy can't handle his opponents without powerups, then IMO he isn't strong enough to become a pirate king.

kkck
April 20, 2015, 02:17 PM
I am not sure of how vbrations would fit. We have seen people use vibrations without even a fruit so I have a hard time seeing how this fits into rubber. How would rubber enable the vibrations or otherwise benefit from it? It seems like this should have more to do with his rubber body....

Barrier
April 20, 2015, 02:19 PM
A g r e e d !!

One idea is gomu gomu no big boner! :derp

But yeah, Luffy getting Gear 5 would suck. He needs to focus on his own base combat abilities, especially if the gears have price to pay for using them, like becoming a midget or shortening life span and becoming exhausted quicker. If Luffy can't handle his opponents without powerups, then IMO he isn't strong enough to become a pirate king.

Agreed

And hey, one of the mangahelper member has a name exactly like that

Imagine hearing the sound of gear 5, it just doesn't feel right. Gears are supposed to be match changing and you can't go on name about 10 gears. I bet Oda will not introduce gear 5.

That does not mean luffy will not learn anything else. He might learn various different techniques such as when he learned soru, which is perfectly acceptable.

Barrier
April 20, 2015, 02:20 PM
Can vibration be any good against the birdcage?

kkck
April 20, 2015, 02:29 PM
You seems to be assuming that Gear 3 is superior to 2, and 4 will be superior to 3. I don't think that's the case. They provide a different set of abilities for different circumstances, and can even be combined.

For the same reason I wouldn't like more than 4 Gears. Otherwise Luffy's fighting style may go from being flexible to become too varied and inconsistent.

I would say yes and no to that... Both provide different types of boosts so its not completely fair to say one is plainly stronger than the other however gear 3 is without a doubt where luffy has most of the offensive power he has shown so far. Take his fight against lucci. With gear 2 he was able to match the guy however with gear 3 he literally wrecked (http://www.mangareader.net/103-2528-17/one-piece/chapter-421.html) him (http://www.mangareader.net/103-2529-7/one-piece/chapter-422.html). Of course, he won with gear 2 but the sheer difference between them is clear. Gear 3 is where most of the finishing moves are so far. In his more recent battles he has defeated hodi and ceasar with gear 3. He took down a crazy franky/choper with gear 3. Chinjao was defeated by gear 3. Gear 3 is how luffy finishes off people basically since he got it.

According to doflamingo luffy is quite fast but simply isn't strong enough to deal much damage. It makes sense that the next gear will allow him increased strength without sacrificing his base form speed, which he does seem to sacrifice with gear 3.

dark123
April 20, 2015, 03:38 PM
Luffy doesn't need gears lol He has to train his haki and that is enough. Roger ruled over the world only by using haki. Luffy is copy of Roger or who knows maybe he is Roger. There was theory that Roger ate reincarnation fruit :D There are proofs that haoshoku haki can even rule over mattery (Shanks)

M3J
April 21, 2015, 12:55 PM
Agreed

And hey, one of the mangahelper member has a name exactly like that

Imagine hearing the sound of gear 5, it just doesn't feel right. Gears are supposed to be match changing and you can't go on name about 10 gears. I bet Oda will not introduce gear 5.

That does not mean luffy will not learn anything else. He might learn various different techniques such as when he learned soru, which is perfectly acceptable.
I know, I was making a joke in reference to that name.

I don't mind him learning different techniques, and I'm sure others don't either. What some of us have an issue with is relying on gears and treating it like Super Saiyan after the time skip, cheap and stuff.

Luffy doesn't need gears lol He has to train his haki and that is enough. Roger ruled over the world only by using haki. Luffy is copy of Roger or who knows maybe he is Roger. There was theory that Roger ate reincarnation fruit :D There are proofs that haoshoku haki can even rule over mattery (Shanks)

We actually don't know how he "ruled" the world, which he didn't anyway.

eefrit
April 21, 2015, 03:12 PM
Depending on what Gear 4 actually is, I think a 5th Gear would be pushing it a bit too much. After this, he should probably just focus on his base strengths. Hell, we've yet to see if Luffy has any more "Red" variations of his techniques.

modoki
April 22, 2015, 06:55 PM
A question from 2ch somewhere.
"If haki can be mastered, can it also evolve?"

My theory of gear 4 is full body armament completely engulfed in flames (effect of gear 2nd heating the armament haki).

The power of vibrations could be very possible. Absorbing devil fruit ability and converting.
While I see this as a desperation tactic, the stronger the attacks, the bigger the toll.
If Gear 2nd uses Jet, then Gear 4 should use Mach (I see this pattern like from a fighter plane).

Sergei von Luckner
April 22, 2015, 08:20 PM
Gear 2nd is steam engine based, Gear 3rd is balloon based. My best guess for Gear 4 was that it's air compression based. Pumping air into his limbs, then recompressing it with Haki. Releasing part of the compression would propel the limb at very high speed/power. Could tap into pneumatics. Pneumatic drills / Gomu Gomu no Jackhammer.

Was my best theory, but I don't think it's gonna happen, so I've never posted till now. A theme I'm certainly noticing is that every gear could have been a DF of its own. I think the way Oda comes up with them is he has to design clever DFs anyway, and whenever he makes up a new cool one he asks himself if he could refactor it into one of Luffy's gears instead. I definitely think "just like Gear 2 but better" or "Gear 2 and 3 combined" will never happen for that reason.

milek
April 23, 2015, 11:50 PM
Luffy got huge power but lost on speed as Mingo showed us. It will be interesting to see if he can use Gear 2+4 as his ultimate attack.

Shasha23
April 24, 2015, 07:32 AM
Luffy got huge power but lost on speed as Mingo showed us. It will be interesting to see if he can use Gear 2+4 as his ultimate attack.

he didn't lose speed, he only lost a bit in attack speed, his G2 attacks are definitely faster but not by much, Luffy can utilise soru so he isn't slower its just his attack speed

hokageji
April 24, 2015, 03:41 PM
It is among those rare moments when fan predictions are better than what Oda creates.

kkck
April 24, 2015, 04:35 PM

Congrats on your oddly specific yet completely accurate prediction.

llamapie
April 24, 2015, 11:45 PM

You nailed it

RedBerserk
April 27, 2015, 12:01 PM
Ahah thanks, I guess it was obvious though, Oda tends to be "original" with his work, but some things progress in a linear way.

ladylola
April 29, 2015, 03:24 PM
It is among those rare moments when fan predictions are better than what Oda creates.

He should use some of them for future Gears :D
I like this one a lot tbh.It should totally happen.

SoulAuron
April 29, 2015, 08:06 PM
vibration sure is interesting, though i think its not the case, it sure would be intersting as a fifth gear, ive made some observations that can very well explain how gear fourth is strong, but who knows, maybe he is vibrating too.
the reason why i dint think he is using vibrations (though it would be awesone if he was), is that if vibrations where the base of gear fourth there would be no need to inflate his muscles, wich is the basis of the gear and what named it, he could, as far as im aware, use the power of the vibrations without having to inflate his muscles at all, that and the things we saw him doing in gear fourth indicate he is geting strength in a diferent way, the secret is how he retracts his limbs inside himself and then expells them, he does that every time he uses the gear, so its reasonable to assume that is a key component of its stregth.

kkck
April 30, 2015, 11:07 AM
I am not sure of how a vibration would fall into the context of a gear. The fact that vibrations have been used as DF powers and can be learned by anyone would rather suggest that it would be a complement to any of the gears luffy already has more than anything. Its not like rubber is particularly helpful when it comes to vibrating... What can luffy do regarding specifically to rubber to cause vibrations? A gear should pertain specifically to the fact that luffy is made out of rubber, even the armament haki luffy uses in gear 4 is a complement to the fact that he inflated his muscles just like in the other two gears.

I am still open to the idea of vulcanization that was mentioned years ago. Basically luffy somehow learning to make himself incredibly hard, like a tire. And on top of that add armament haki... Or even tekkai itself. Triple threat. Not sure of what luffy could do to learn this though. It'd be interesting if gear 2 could be used for this... Instead of using the consumed extra energy to increase his speed he would use the energy to temporarily vulcanize his body thus becoming tire like. From a chemical point of view the idea is probably asinine but its a manga so there is no harm in oda taking some creative license here. Maybe he could force blood into his muscles rather than to move it faster through his veins or something... though that sounds weird too.

SoulAuron
April 30, 2015, 11:31 AM
I am not sure of how a vibration would fall into the context of a gear. The fact that vibrations have been used as DF powers and can be learned by anyone would rather suggest that it would be a complement to any of the gears luffy already has more than anything. Its not like rubber is particularly helpful when it comes to vibrating... What can luffy do regarding specifically to rubber to cause vibrations? A gear should pertain specifically to the fact that luffy is made out of rubber, even the armament haki luffy uses in gear 4 is a complement to the fact that he inflated his muscles just like in the other two gears.

I am still open to the idea of vulcanization that was mentioned years ago. Basically luffy somehow learning to make himself incredibly hard, like a tire. And on top of that add armament haki... Or even tekkai itself. Triple threat. Not sure of what luffy could do to learn this though. It'd be interesting if gear 2 could be used for this... Instead of using the consumed extra energy to increase his speed he would use the energy to temporarily vulcanize his body thus becoming tire like. From a chemical point of view the idea is probably asinine but its a manga so there is no harm in oda taking some creative license here. Maybe he could force blood into his muscles rather than to move it faster through his veins or something... though that sounds weird too.

i agree that lufys gears should be based on unique rubber capabilities, and i dont know for sure wether ruber particularly helps vibrations or not, but maybe it does, when strings vibrate in a guitar for example, they are first stretched in one direction, then their elasticity brings them back with enough force to stretch them on the other direction loosing very little force, thus maybe elasticity is something that can help an object vibrate more then it sould be able to hamdle without breaking apart.
just an idea though, i dont know this for sure.

FetherMan
April 30, 2015, 08:10 PM
Sounds like, Luffy applied his Devil fruit ability to Haki armor. It's possible, he's in the process of developing his two powers together even further. There could be two more Gear modes for him, by the time he becomes Pirate King.

Rarhyx
May 01, 2015, 01:42 PM
I think 5th gear or last gear (if oda will introduce some more)
will be either ruffy switching fast between his gears or partial gears in different body parts [i.e. gear 3 in his hand(s), gear 4 in his foot/feet)]

kkck
May 01, 2015, 08:34 PM
I think 5th gear or last gear (if oda will introduce some more)
will be either ruffy switching fast between his gears or partial gears in different body parts [i.e. gear 3 in his hand(s), gear 4 in his foot/feet)]

He is already doing most of that though. He can switch between gear two and three almost instantly and uses them to great effect. It seems like gear four is the only gear that has not been mastered to the extent where he can just activate it at will in the middle of battle. Unlike gear three he has to inflate his muscles with his mouth... Combining gears won't make for a final gear but I do think we will see all gears activated at some point. It would be cool if all gears activated at the same time got a name though, overdrive or soemthing...

Rarhyx
May 02, 2015, 03:08 AM
oh then forget what I wrote. I'm not a constant OP reader I read it once in a while and wait a few months, so forget/don't notice much things

Mangafan2
May 02, 2015, 10:44 AM
If Luffy will do gear 5th to beat Don Flamingo, I don't think we will see it and it will be kept hidden for a while.

Barrier
May 06, 2015, 02:55 PM
Gear 4 is dominating DD already. so gear 5 is a bit unlikely.

kkck
May 06, 2015, 05:42 PM
Gear 4 is dominating DD already. so gear 5 is a bit unlikely.
Gear 4 dominated a half dead doflamingo whose insides had been turned into a sloppy joe by law which doflamingo then kinda stitch back together. And doflmaingo was not even a yonko... His strength far exceeded anything luffy had faced before. If luffy is going to take on the yonko and admirals soon then he needs at least all gears from 5 to 10 to be able to survive.

Barrier
May 07, 2015, 08:00 AM
Gear 4 dominated a half dead doflamingo whose insides had been turned into a sloppy joe by law which doflamingo then kinda stitch back together. And doflmaingo was not even a yonko... His strength far exceeded anything luffy had faced before. If luffy is going to take on the yonko and admirals soon then he needs at least all gears from 5 to 10 to be able to survive.

There is also awakening, mastering gear 4 and haki too. So why is gear 5 is needed when there are other possible power ups? We are not even sure if luffy is going to take down Kaido and big mom in a one on one fight, it could be just like this fight happening in dressrossa. Finally when he fights a yonko alone (bb) his normal gears are going to be more powered up than before just like pre and post time skip difference.

kkck
May 11, 2015, 12:46 AM
There is also awakening, mastering gear 4 and haki too. So why is gear 5 is needed when there are other possible power ups? We are not even sure if luffy is going to take down Kaido and big mom in a one on one fight, it could be just like this fight happening in dressrossa. Finally when he fights a yonko alone (bb) his normal gears are going to be more powered up than before just like pre and post time skip difference.

Well, a potential gear 5 would work independently from all those things. And the issue at hand remains that luffy will be fighting yonko extremely soon, he does not have time to get stronger the regular way as far as we know. I am not sure it will be a probable scenario for luffy to continually fight opponents who already got wore down by circumstances as was the case with doflamingo and doing so would to an extent be bad storytelling. Luffy can grow stronger but its not like he has to wait until the end of the manga to fight yonko, that seems to be a next arc thing for the most part unless he befriends big mom. And even then kaido is about to start hunting down luffy for what he did to the sad. Luffy is way to beneath a yonko for the difference to be overcomed within an arc or two, he literally had trouble with a half dead doflamingo. And even then it would be quite optimistic to say doflamingo could fight on par with a yonko.... Luffy needs a huge powerup and very quickly....

Junior
May 11, 2015, 07:12 AM
Blood, Bone and Muscle thus far.

I'm not sure what else could follow that pattern. As of right now I'm imagining a combination of all three and that's blowing the boundaries of my imagination. I can't imagine why he would need a "Gear 5" at this point, tbh. It seems he has most of the basis covered.

Fox666
May 11, 2015, 08:09 AM
Skin, cartilage, hair, nails?

kkck
May 11, 2015, 06:41 PM
Well, it should be plausible for luffy to inflate his skin although I am not sure of what that would accomplish.... Maybe he would be like a bouncy ball? Sort of like gear 4 but focusing entirely on bouncing rather than strength... It sounds like he could easily pop though. If he is doing only his skin what would IMO make the most sense is the vulcanization idea. He loses his elasticity but coupled with his hardened haki he becomes extraordinarily resistant. Maybe the mechanism could be similar to gear two... He increases his bloodflow to increase his temperature and thus temporarily vulcanize. With this he would have a whole set of blood, muscle, bone and skin when it comes to gears. Becoming this hard would perhaps also increase his physical strength.

FetherMan
May 16, 2015, 05:27 PM
Luffy basically turned into a powerful whoopie cushion with Haki applied to it, for more effective damage on the target. Plus, he looks like Goku in SSJ 4.

Ichibei
May 17, 2015, 08:47 AM
I wonder why he names his Gear 4th "Bounceman" ? Maybe there are other forms depending on what is most effective?

ladylola
May 17, 2015, 07:25 PM
I wonder why he names his Gear 4th "Bounceman" ? Maybe there are other forms depending on what is most effective?

Because it's bouncy, he even can't stop himself from bouncing...