Discussion - Luffy's Journey (How Long Has it Taken?) | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Luffy's Journey (How Long Has it Taken?)

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think some islands, such as Little Garden, are frozen in time, and that's why they are still prehistoric, while others, such as Water 7, are moving normally in time, which is why they're modern. I think it's just a matter of some islands by chance not developing past a certain point, just like it's a matter of chance as to whether an island is a summer, winter, spring, or autumn island, or how long it takes for a Log Post to adjust to a certain islands magnetic field. I can't think of a single explanation of the lost time I like other then "boring time spent sailing in between islands that Oda-sensei mostly skips over, just showing some for character development and interaction purposes, and to introduce the next arc." Whew, that was long.

mugen

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
uum...
the development of islands have nothing to with how fast time passes...
time is same in all Islands

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
well, journey in each island only took no more than 3 to 4 days... however the time between islands is quite a length of time... enies lobby only took one day but like from volume 39 to 44... about 4 volumes...

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
well, journey in each island only took no more than 3 to 4 days... however the time between islands is quite a length of time... enies lobby only took one day but like from volume 39 to 44... about 4 volumes...

Yeah, I always find it funny that Ussop was gone from the crew for like, 8 volumes, 37-45 or something, yet really, it was about 9 days or so. (1 day after his fight with Luffy when they found out Robin attempted to assassinate Iceburg, 1 day after THAT for the battle with the CP9 at Enies Lobby, and they all pulled all-nighters for this, and then I think a week after that until the Straw Hats left Water 7 and Ussop rejoined the crew.

Chompp

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Sorry about pulling this thread up again but I find this topic interesting. Actually I have tried doing my own timeline and by my calculations it would be something like 85-100 days have passed when they reached the Red Line in chapter 490. So my calculations aren't much different of that french site's. I remember seeing somewhere a timeline theory based on the cycles of the moon in the manga and that seemed quite interesting, but I can't remember where I saw it and how many days it suggested the journey has taken.

Razh

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Can't believe this is up again.

There is no way of calculating the number of days. It's just silly. And it's based on a premise that we've seen everything that SH are doing.
While there are lots of stuff that we don't see, and it takes a lot of time to travel between islands with a ship powered by sails. It's really a given that the author won't presume that we think that we have seen everything they have been doing.
It's mostly small stuff. Like characters taking a pee, taking a dump, sleeping, resting, talking, Usopp creating weapons, Zoro training and coming up with new techniques, Nami's boobs growing, Chopper making Rumble Balls and such.

Oh crap, just compare the charcter heights from the beginning with present ones. And no, it's not only an evolution of drawing style.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Oda doesn't care at all about the timing, character's height, age ... He doesn't even try to be coherent in these areas. Arguing about it is as pointless as arguing about Bleach captains power level.

deffkryz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Oda doesn't care at all about the timing, character's height, age ... He doesn't even try to be coherent in these areas. Arguing about it is as pointless as arguing about Bleach captains power level.
Well ... no - repeating this all over and over won't make it right: Oda in fact DOES care about the timeline. You just have to look at the last dozen chapters since the strawhats were on Sabãody Shouto to catch that one or two weeks have passed since. There are enough hints (i.e. Ch. 435 p.07 - constructing the Sunny-go takes five days, Ch. 253 - Strawhats resting at night) to make a good guess - you just have to pick and sum them up.

Not counting crappy anime fillers of course, we know that the Strawhats:

• were at Whiskey Peak, on Little Garden, and on Drum/Sakura for just less than a day each and that it has to take less than three days to get from Little Garden to Drum/Sakura (because Nami would have been dead if not)
  • left Arabasta after a week at most
  • were on Gaia for about a day (about a couple of hours at least) and rested in Skypiea for at least three days
    • day 1: arriving at Gaia -> catching a South bird -> getting Crickett's gold back from Bellamy
    • day 2: going up -> defeating Satori
    • day 3: resting in the forest -> search for gold -> defeating eneru
    • day 4: PARTY!!! -> Return to GL
  • spent a four or five days around Longlinglongland(sp?) defeating Foxy and being bet up by Aokiji and recover from his Ice Time
  • Water 7 and Enies Lobby should be around two weeks:
    • day 1: Arriving at W7, get the money, get the money stolen, Robin is missing, beating the crap out of Franky House
    • day 2: luffy vs. usopp, leaving the meri-go
    • day 3: resting at a hostel, Iceburg was being shot, Luffy and his mates suspected, second attack on Iceburg, Robin says "good-bye", Aqua Laguna
    • day 4: Attack on Enies Lobby, defeating CP7, Buster Call, return to Water 7
    • day 4-6: Resting at Galley-la company
    • day 6: Garp shows up
    • days 7-12: PARTY!!!, Sunny-go ready, Franky joins, Usoppu rejoins, Garp returns, Sunny-go flees by flying
  • Thriller Bark wasn't longer than a week days - four days at most:
    • day 1: Meeting Brook, encounter Thriller Bark, Luffy, Zoro and Sanji woke up a couple of hours after Moria took their shadows
    • day 2: Defeating Moria, encounter Kuma
    • day 3: Resting, Party
  • stopped at Red Line, destroyed the Tobiouo Riders and went to Sabaody Shouto, freed Keimii in less than a day.
  • got spread over the world in three days.
  • (Luffy-only) stayed on Amazon Island three days at MAX
  • (Luffy-only) went from Amazon Island to Impel Down in four up to five days
  • (Luffy-only) spent six up to twelve hours to get from Level 1 to 5.5 - Ace is about to be executed in six hours.

All we don't know is, how long it took to get from one island to the next one. But we also have some hints to make a good guess here since we know that a Marine ship takes less than a week from Amazon Island to Impel Down. So if we - based on that - assume...
  • that Meri-go was a fine ship(!!!)
  • that it was able to maintain a decent speed but was not as fast as one of those Marine ships
  • and that all the other adventures in East Blue took a couple of hours each

... the Strawhats passed to Sabãody Shouto (and Luffy to Impel Down) in WAY less than a year. And that's why most of the characters didn't age that lot.

BTW, that Coby grew isn't a proof that they had to take much longer - Oda answered a question about this in the SBS, telling that he had a friend in school who grew in the summer holidays in a similar way.

BTW, and yes - we actually have seen most of what Luffy and his mates did on their journey since they entered the GL.

And to compare: Columbus sailed from Europe to what he thought was India on his first voyage from August 1492 to March 1493 - that's about half a year as well. So it's not unrealistic to sum up just what we have seen.

Last edited:

Phase

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You seem to be underestimating recovery times in that post.

For instance:
Recovering after sky island http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/301/02/
Recovering after thriller bark http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/489/12/

Travel times are indeed a big mystery, as are any stops that may happen between events. Even if you dismiss all the movies and filler, which is fine, there is still potential for stops between arcs that weren't worth drawing.

My biggest argument is that the entire OP world seems to agree that it takes 2-3 years to sail through the entire Grand Line. Roger's crew took 3 years http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/506/11/ and he took the same route as Luffy (as seen on the Bellfry if Shandia). They're halfway there, 1 year seems reasonable to me.

deffkryz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
You seem to be underestimating recovery times in that post.

For instance:
Recovering after sky island http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/301/02/
Recovering after thriller bark http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/489/12/
You want to "rant" on just a week or two. *laugh* :amuse

In fact, you've got a point there, and I have to confess I don't have every given time spec in my head (especially when it goes into past events beyond Gold Roger's death). It's just - I saw them a couple of months ago and began thinking about how many day-night-shifts Oda put into the storyline and how many minor time skips I felt we had - and I came to that conclusion of mine that we all have "wasted" a lot of time in the last 11 years. ;)

Just a joke - we all enjoyed it I guess, so it's absolutely not wasted.

Travel times are indeed a big mystery, as are any stops that may happen between events. Even if you dismiss all the movies and filler, which is fine, there is still potential for stops between arcs that weren't worth drawing.
Actually, I don't think that there are that many islands on one route of the Grand Line. There also sure is some time to take for the log pose but the Strawhats left Little Garden e.g. way before their log pose was set (about 364 days before).

My biggest argument is that the entire OP world seems to agree that it takes 2-3 years to sail through the entire Grand Line.
I can go with that - if you want to have that pirates' adventure.

Roger's crew took 3 years http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/506/11/ and he took the same route as Luffy (as seen on the Bellfry if Shandia). They're halfway there, 1 year seems reasonable to me.
Well... Don't you think there would have been an update of the character ages in OP Yellow? (There was one in the third Naruto "character file".e.g. since one year passed after the three year time skip.)

P.S.: Sorry for mixing i.e. and e.g. in my last post.

Phase

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Oda said that he intended for his characters to not "age" at all. I don't really understand that, but I'll go with it anyway. He can obscure time quite easily thanks to all the islands having their own seasons.

If we could identify which of the routes they took, we could count the islands between Reverse Mountain and Mariejoa on the map. Chances are that a single island has been skipped, the island of which Robin gave them an eternal pose of after leaving Whiskey Peak. That island was supposedly the stop before Alabasta, although it could have very well been Drum Island (since I don't think the manga declares the island's name).

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Isn't the problem basically, that they don't have to stay on one route as soon as they get an eternal pose? with an log pose they have to wait until it points to the next island and so on, but they changed direction for little garden, drum, alabasta and thats the minimum as far as I know.

Other methods of measuring time in One Piece also failed until now like counting the change of cloths or looking at the phases of the moon (that only because we saw a model of the world at Ohara which had multiple moons).

Phase

Reaction score
Country
United States
They also changed direction for Jaya, though it was just a detour.