Discussion - The Official FUG Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Host Samurai

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Since we know that there exist another organization that is against Zahards regime. I thought it's a good opportunity to start a thread about it. For further discussions, because it's a given that this organization will be more focused on, due to Baam/Viole being a member of that group.

SIU said:
credits to Naver.com@batoto

Grace Mircea Luslec
(Slayer No.1)
Sobriquet: Heretic (Tiger Fish)
Height: 1m 97cm
Birthplace: 80F Mircea

Grace Mircea Luslec. The living 'god' of the most secretive and the most dangerous organization in the tower, FUG.

The objective of FUG is unclear, but it is a known fact that they hide in the darkest parts of the tower and corrupt people. Because of this, people call Luslec 'the god of devils' or 'the demon king.'

Luslec is said to have been one of the helpers that climbed the tower with 10 family heads, and it is unknown why that Luslec became corrupted enough to become the leader of FUG.

As you can tell from the rank, he is a superb warrior and the giant black hook he wielded is said to have pierced all.

FUG is sometimes compared with Wing Tree because of its opposition toward the 10 families. If FUG is a kind of 'religious order,' united under a single conviction, Wing Tree is a kind of 'social party' formed around a few select members. The two organizations have completely different natures, and some people are affiliated with both groups although FUG and Wing Tree do not get along.

The 10 families forbid their children from entering FUG and consider it their supreme task to eradicate the members, who hide in the remote parts of the middle area.

But this doesn't mean that FUG's influence in the tower rivals the 10 families. As long as the family heads have formed pacts with the guardian and manage the tower, FUG's influence cannot surpass the power of the heads no matter how strong it gets.

In spite of this, Luslec's rank exceeds that of some family heads because he is the one and only symbol of 'absolute darkness' in the tower.
SIU said:
credits:Zio@batoto
Not all of FUG members..
The number of slayers is '11' and 'slayer' means the man who kill Zahard and 10 families.
Whereabouts of 5 people is unknown, 2 people are dominating as a devil, 4 are vacant.
(Well...I think Baam(Viole) become slayer as one of the 4..)
This is all what we know so far about the FUG. According to this information, we can assume that Viole is aiming for one of the 4 vacant spots, in order to become one of the 11 'official slayers'. But the questions remain, what are the requirements to get into this position? How many people are aiming for the vacant positions? What does it mean: dominating like a devil?? Any ideas guys? :confused:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
To be honest I'm still confused reading the information above. :XD

So, FUG is an organization with only 11 members allowed. From those 11 positions, 7 already filled although only 2 who are 'active', and the rest is still 'open'. The members of FUG are dubbed as 'slayers', considered to have killed the 'royal' families of the tower. The leader is this person named Luslec we have never seen before.

Like that?

If that is the case, then we can assume Baam had met Luslec then... How could he bear FUG's symbol if he is not yet part of it? Also, we haven't seen what happened to Baam all these years, so we can assume that he might have met others along the time... If not, then the last member we saw him with has quite a chance of being part of FUG too, don't you think so?

Dominating... Maybe they just don't like to see how Zahard ruled the tower. And they do not wish to take the path of being irregulars, instead creating a more supreme group?

THM Nindo

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, they have been mentioning someone else every time they talk about Viole.
They keep saying that he's taking the place of Zaraku (not quite sure of the spelling of the name), or something like that.

So, if there's only 11 place available, it seems like Viole manage to get a place in there during the 5 years timeskip.

kakashi65

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
But isn't he just a candidate for that position? He's to go through some trials and I believe has to become a ranker before he get a place in the slayers eleven :D

THM Nindo

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
But isn't he just a candidate for that position? He's to go through some trials and I believe has to become a ranker before he get a place in the slayers eleven :D
Yeah, you're probably right.
My guess is that one of the 11 is dead (that Zaraku guy), and there are many candidates to replace him.

Baam is probably one of those candidates.

It seems though that there are a lot of people behind him, trying to help him get there.
I think that Baam might be special (other than being simply an irregular) and that the people from FUG wants him to become the next slayer, so that he helps them defeat Zahard.

kakashi65

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
I think, it was said, that more than 1 slot is free, I think it was 3 or 4? With Grace himself as the number one slayer
You can read it here if you want

apellon

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
the fug is very confusing ..
i think the organisation and slayer and all is pretty cool though , but i kind of want baam to stop being blackmailed and not allowed to see his friends ...
why doesnt he tell them to get their ring off ?? eventhough that wouldnt mean they ll be safe...

I think they want baam to be a slayer so that they have at least one irregular in them , apparently only irregular can kill the king ?? for unknown reasons ?

now about the fug , in some chapter it felt like Heon 1st floor guardian was associated with them somehow.. if it s true , then maybe the fug has more power than it seems ...

suraj5898

Reaction score
Country
India
the fug is very confusing ..
i think the organisation and slayer and all is pretty cool though , but i kind of want baam to stop being blackmailed and not allowed to see his friends ...
why doesnt he tell them to get their ring off ?? eventhough that wouldnt mean they ll be safe...

I think they want baam to be a slayer so that they have at least one irregular in them , apparently only irregular can kill the king ?? for unknown reasons ?

now about the fug , in some chapter it felt like Heon 1st floor guardian was associated with them somehow.. if it s true , then maybe the fug has more power than it seems ...
*** Floor guardian make Zahard immortal so all regular cant kill him because of towers rule.irregular r people who dont have to follow towers rule that why only irregular can kill someone whom tower guardian give immortality

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
This is something that I begun wondering recently because it seems like there is more to being a slayer than merely being powerful. I say this specifically because of Jinsung Ha. The guy is a top 100 high ranker however he does not rank as a slayer. Heck, in context the guy should be well more powerful than the majority of slayers. And after that we have yet more high rankers. Yu han sun has been said by SIU to be comparable to yuri powerwise. Madoraco is also a high ranker. And augugus is also a high ranker. Basically, all of them seem to be more powerful than karaka at least if we consider ranking alone.

I am thinking that perhaps slayers are more than simply strong people. The slayers of whom we have some information are luslec, karaka, baylord, white and imort. Some of the information we have comes from the series itself and the other has been revealed by SIU. I am thinking that perhaps all slayers are required to specifically have a grudged against zahard and the empire. They are people connected to the towers' and zahard's darker secrets. Of course, power itself is important but slayers are probably meant to embody the horror and grudged against zahard. To be more specific, this is what we know of current slayers:

Luslec: Climbed the tower with and served V.
Baylord: Was at the bayroad and is an insanely strong mad dog.
Imort: Connected to baylord and the bayroad.
Karaka: Presumably a prince of the tower since he has a ring.

With white I am not too sure because his connection and grudge against zahard are not too clear. We know he is a member of the ten families who went rogue... However it is pretty clear that merely being a member of the 10 families is not enough to be a slayer because otherwise Jinsung would probably make for a terrifying slayer. And his grudge against zahard and the 10 families is pretty great as well.

So.... any thoughts?

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I think it's the potential they choose for them, people like Jinsung probably reached their maximum limit and will never advance forward, but people like Karaka which SIU mentioned his crazy potential in multiple times have a chance to reach heights Jinsung will never go, that's why even if their underlings are stronger than them (Poken, admin of fug) for now, they are still being tolerated. White is also the same as well, he has a potential on his own and probably would have reached a height if his sacrificed on the billion souls would have been successful, not to mention he has a monster inside himself that's similar to the devil inside Baam.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think it's the potential they choose for them, people like Jinsung probably reached their maximum limit and will never advance forward, but people like Karaka which SIU mentioned his crazy potential in multiple times have a chance to reach heights Jinsung will never go, that's why even if their underlings are stronger than them (Poken, admin of fug) for now, they are still being tolerated. White is also the same as well, he has a potential on his own and probably would have reached a height if his sacrificed on the billion souls would have been successful, not to mention he has a monster inside himself that's similar to the devil inside Baam.
The only reason I have trouble believing that bit is that the implication would be that FUG took issue with Jinsung's potential. Jinsung is a freaking monster that is in the top 100, that is a HUGE deal. I can't imagine people at fug actually believing all of the slayers have greater potential than that. And given how things have played out, it becomes increasingly clear that the difference between top 100 high rankers and regular high rankers is by no means small. Between jinsung and yuri there could be as great a difference as between karaka and yuri... Granted that not all people at the top 100 are there exclusively for their power (evan seems to be inferior to yuri combat wise) but still, the way the series has portrayed things it would be extraordinary if FUG legitimately thinks jinsung's power is not good enough to be a slayer. And it would be even more extraordinary if all the slayers and candidates were thought to have the potential to surpass him.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
So far, I would say potential, skills and special abilities.

Karaka doesn't only have potential, his Infinite Past Lives is extremely useful, I think WoD is pretty strong as well. And Hoaqin had the ability to devour souls along with his knowledge in Magic and his skills as a Arie, that makes his potential theoretically limitless.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
The only reason I have trouble believing that bit is that the implication would be that FUG took issue with Jinsung's potential. Jinsung is a freaking monster that is in the top 100, that is a HUGE deal. I can't imagine people at fug actually believing all of the slayers have greater potential than that. And given how things have played out, it becomes increasingly clear that the difference between top 100 high rankers and regular high rankers is by no means small. Between jinsung and yuri there could be as great a difference as between karaka and yuri... Granted that not all people at the top 100 are there exclusively for their power (evan seems to be inferior to yuri combat wise) but still, the way the series has portrayed things it would be extraordinary if FUG legitimately thinks jinsung's power is not good enough to be a slayer. And it would be even more extraordinary if all the slayers and candidates were thought to have the potential to surpass him.
There's a difference between being among top 100 and being among top 20.

Jinsung is like Maschenny Zahard, she's top 100 too as well but at the same time, Yuri has better potential, enough to collect all the 13 months series one day. Jinsung and Maschenny are stronger than Karaka and Yuri for now, but they will surpass them one way or another, that is not even debate, Jinsung also acknowledge that himself, that's why he trains slayers so they could fullfill his wishes some day.

What Fug are looking for are people strong enough to reach top 20 like Luslec or even stronger, Jinsung is not one of them, he reached his maximum potential, that's why brats like Baam, Karaka, White have better potential.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
There's a difference between being among top 100 and being among top 20.

Jinsung is like Maschenny Zahard, she's top 100 too as well but at the same time, Yuri has better potential, enough to collect all the 13 months series one day. Jinsung and Maschenny are stronger than Karaka and Yuri for now, but they will surpass them one way or another, that is not even debate, Jinsung also acknowledge that himself, that's why he trains slayers so they could fullfill his wishes some day.

What Fug are looking for are people strong enough to reach top 20 like Luslec or even stronger, Jinsung is not one of them, he reached his maximum potential, that's why brats like Baam, Karaka, White have better potential.
Jinsung has acknoloedged karaka can surpass him? When did that happen? And I doubt it has been said slayers are specifically supposed to reach the top 20. We have only been told the ranks up to the 17th place but out of those 18 people (the 7th rank is shared) only 3 are not irregulars. And so far only luslec ranks that highly and even then at the somewhat low end of the rank (15). I am not suggesting karaka doesn't have high potential but that is an extraordinary admission and even with high potential it is basically next to impossible to achieve such a rank. Also worth noting, while power is definitely important to a ranker it is by no means the end all of the issue. A fug slayer could be literally number 2 (phantaminum can't be removed from the number 1 position) and even then he couldn't do crap against the empire because he can't kill immortals.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
In my opinion, the Slayer system is kinda weird as it is right now. The reason for this thought is, because SIU stated that the 10 Great Warriors are invincible. Before that statement, I thought only Zahard was invincible, thus a Regular killing one of the 10 Great Warriors was theoretically possible. Since this is not the case, and the fact that we know almost nothing regarding the Slayers, the purpose of the Slayers is odd. If I were to leave this fact aside, potential - as some other users have pointed out - could be an important factor. But I have to agree with @kkck here: Jinsung may be in his prime, but I can't believe that Lusclec (+ the Elders) think that all Slayers are either stronger than Jinsung or have the potential to surpass him, a tremendous amount of potential more than Jinsung in order to make a difference.

Maybe, it's not only about potential, but also about rituals you are willing/have to do or undergo?
  • Karaka has this weird, abnormal immortality ability.
  • White is a known sorcerer, doing all kind of rituals with souls.
  • Baylord Yama is a Mad Dog, which are made with a special process.
  • Imorte is directly connected to Baylord Yama.
All current Slayers have this in common, unlike Jinsung, who seems to rely on his own strength. But don't ask me how this makes you more fitting for the position of a Slayer. In the end, it shouldn't help you any further to kill Zahard or the 10 Great Warriors. Sure, the Zahard Empire has countless minions which you have to defeat too, but let's face it, if you want to crush the Zahard Empire, taking out the 10 Great Warrios is unavoidable.

Is it possible that Luslec knows of ways (rituals, spells) to bypass the invincibility of the 10 Great Warriors?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
In my opinion, the Slayer system is kinda weird as it is right now. The reason for this thought is, because SIU stated that the 10 Great Warriors are invincible. Before that statement, I thought only Zahard was invincible, thus a Regular killing one of the 10 Great Warriors was theoretically possible. Since this is not the case, and the fact that we know almost nothing regarding the Slayers, the purpose of the Slayers is odd. If I were to leave this fact aside, potential - as some other users have pointed out - could be an important factor. But I have to agree with @kkck here: Jinsung may be in his prime, but I can't believe that Lusclec (+ the Elders) think that all Slayers are either stronger than Jinsung or have the potential to surpass him, a tremendous amount of potential more than Jinsung in order to make a difference.

Maybe, it's not only about potential, but also about rituals you are willing/have to do or undergo?
  • Karaka has this weird, abnormal immortality ability.
  • White is a known sorcerer, doing all kind of rituals with souls.
  • Baylord Yama is a Mad Dog, which are made with a special process.
  • Imorte is directly connected to Baylord Yama.
All current Slayers have this in common, unlike Jinsung, who seems to rely on his own strength. But don't ask me how this makes you more fitting for the position of a Slayer. In the end, it shouldn't help you any further to kill Zahard or the 10 Great Warriors. Sure, the Zahard Empire has countless minions which you have to defeat too, but let's face it, if you want to crush the Zahard Empire, taking out the 10 Great Warrios is unavoidable.

Is it possible that Luslec knows of ways (rituals, spells) to bypass the invincibility of the 10 Great Warriors?
I am not so sure that the 10 family heads would have to be defeated. Even if several of them are an issue in taking down zahard, I wouldn't be surprised if at least a few heads wouldn't take issue with zahard being killed. At least a few of them could have legitimate grievances with zahard. Say, eurasia and gustang whose daughter was ruined by zahard. The issue however would be that for whatever reason they also can't kill zahard. Heck, grace couldn't even kill herself.

It would make sense if they were looking for members whose abilities transcend regular shinsoo. Though the things you mention also play into what I suggested regarding them being people who had been personally and intimately screwed over by the zahard empire. Spells are something which could potentially be beyond the administrators power to retaliate to after all.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I am not so sure that the 10 family heads would have to be defeated. Even if several of them are an issue in taking down zahard, I wouldn't be surprised if at least a few heads wouldn't take issue with zahard being killed. At least a few of them could have legitimate grievances with zahard. Say, eurasia and gustang whose daughter was ruined by zahard. The issue however would be that for whatever reason they also can't kill zahard. Heck, grace couldn't even kill herself.

It would make sense if they were looking for members whose abilities transcend regular shinsoo. Though the things you mention also play into what I suggested regarding them being people who had been personally and intimately screwed over by the zahard empire. Spells are something which could potentially be beyond the administrators power to retaliate to after all.
Of course you are right there. I tend to forget that there are possibly some family heads, who have a grudge against Zahard. SIU even stated that the Eurasia Family is opposed to the Zahard Princess selection. And I don't have to start with Gustang.

Anyway, Zahard and the family heads are still Irregulars, so theoretically, they should be able to kill each other and even themselves. Arlen not being able to commit suicide is kinda a paradox at first glance. Seems like you also need to be powerful enough to break contracts and in Arlen's case, she wasn't.

Let's head back to the Slayers. I read the wiki entry and it seems like every Slayer - from Luslec's POV- is destined to face and kill one of the family heads. There are 11 Slayer seats which equal to Zahard + the 10 Great Warriors. I guess I would waste my breath talking about the definition of the term "Slayer". Everything indicates that Luslec's grand plan involves every Slayer to kill one family head. The fact that Jinsung is not a Slayer, even though there are 4 seats vacant, makes me think that Jinsung doesn't want to receive the power - through a weird ritual/process with strange conditions - which bypasses the contracts. If the Slayers aren't supposed to be to kill the family heads, there is no reason to have 11 seats and call them Slayers in the first place.

Crackpot theory: Luslec doesn't trust Jinsung.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Of course you are right there. I tend to forget that there are possibly some family heads, who have a grudge against Zahard. SIU even stated that the Eurasia Family is opposed to the Zahard Princess selection. And I don't have to start with Gustang.

Anyway, Zahard and the family heads are still Irregulars, so theoretically, they should be able to kill each other and even themselves. Arlen not being able to commit suicide is kinda a paradox at first glance. Seems like you also need to be powerful enough to break contracts and in Arlen's case, she wasn't.

Let's head back to the Slayers. I read the wiki entry and it seems like every Slayer - from Luslec's POV- is destined to face and kill one of the family heads. There are 11 Slayer seats which equal to Zahard + the 10 Great Warriors. I guess I would waste my breath talking about the definition of the term "Slayer". Everything indicates that Luslec's grand plan involves every Slayer to kill one family head. The fact that Jinsung is not a Slayer, even though there are 4 seats vacant, makes me think that Jinsung doesn't want to receive the power - through a weird ritual/process with strange conditions - which bypasses the contracts. If the Slayers aren't supposed to be to kill the family heads, there is no reason to have 11 seats and call them Slayers in the first place.

Crackpot theory: Luslec doesn't trust Jinsung.
Well, looking back on the bit about killing irregulars perhaps the issue here that even the idea that only an irregular can kill an irregular was speculation on FUG's part rather than a hard fact. So this would mean that the idea that a irregular can kill zahard is basically a crackpot theory. Now, it is plausible being an irregular is necessary anyways but the bigger issue here would be that there are other requirements to pull it off. The manga recently started dealing with spells and whatnot. It suggested hierarchy of spells and that it takes a greater spell to overcome or override a greater spell. In this context what has to be surpassed is the contract zahard and his cronies have with the administrators. Which would presumably require a power equal or greater than that of the administrator. In this context, it would seem fairly obvious that the reason arlene could not kill herself is simply that her spells couldn't surpass the power of the administrator.

Perhaps with this we can make the case that the thorn will ultimately be crucial in dealing with zahard. It has vague hax powers which is able to break the rules of the tower. In the last chapter we saw hell joe using his admin like powers. And bam was unaffected which was presumably due to the thorn. Which means the thorn has powers comparable or even greater to that of an admin. Which perhaps is also the reason why enryu was able to defeat the administrator.

Now, back to the slayers. I think there is something to the idea of rituals and whatnot but that is not the way I would phrase it. It's not that slayers have to go through rituals and whatnot. Rather luslec is looking for people who have access to spells and comparable powers which can potentially oppose powers held by zahard and the 10 heads. So on one hand you have karaka who has a weird form of immortality and also a piece of the key to the next floor. Urek called it spells and by extension cheating. White also knows spells for some reason and used them to make himself insanely powerful. Luslec served V which means he must have been close to arlene who had access to spells as well. Perhaps the mad dogs are made via spells and their attacks have the properties of spells. Kinda like the 13 month series but perhaps not as high in rank.

And this would ultimately explain why someone like Jingsung or even yu han sung are not slayers. They have more than enough power to be in the role. But they have squat when it comes to spells or abilities that could potentially kill people with administrator contracts.

Last edited:

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
i believe its certain form of special abilities that allow them to have the possibility to displace the promise of admins with zahard and 10 family. Say white might be thinking if he displaces his father he will take the mantle or sth like may be zahard prince might be seen as some one who can displace zahard or one of the family members. As for Lulsec i think V gave him some advice or whatever to meet the immortal family leaders in combat.rest we know next to nothing

Ripcord

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with the idea of potential. But maybe we are thinking of it in the wrong way. Perhaps they are meant to be vessels for something, like Baam was meant to be the vessel for the thorn, although he isn't a slayer.

Foremost I think slayers are trained to be the top soldiers of FUG, the tip of the spear if you will. My bet is they get a lot of the special assignments like "kill this person" or "get that item." Having slayers gives the tower something special to fear. They hear that FUG has these slayers that do terrible things. Sure FUG on it's own is bad.... but those slayers...

Then there is the idea that there are a specific number of seats. We already know that Baam as a slayer candidate was to be the vessel for the thorn (and he is). I don't know if there are any other special items just like that, but considering that we are still learning about spells and magical items it's possible.

I would say it is more likely that each slayer is specifically groomed to face one of the ten families, not necessarily to eradicate it but certainly to weaken it. Perhaps you can't kill the head of the family, but what if you kill everyone else?

So to sum up I think slayers are ultimately what FUG uses them for and as there may be some training or unlocking of abilities required potential is directly tied to that.