Mag Talk - Gessan (Gekkan Shounen Sunday) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Gessan (Gekkan Shounen Sunday)

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I realize I've been off topic with my posts of Gessan manga in other threads, and while I doubt anyone will actually read this thread I figure I should start it. Feel free to discuss Gessan manga and whatnot, and I'll post TOC's and stuff when I have time for it as well as translations of one shots or series I find interesting.

These are the manga currently running in Gessan. Someone who pays more attention to scantlation than I do can update this list with what's being scantlated.

よしとおさま! 四位晴果
Yoshitoo-sama! Shii Haruka

アオイホノオ 島本和彦
Aoi Honoo Shimamoto Kasuhiko

アサギロ 〜浅葱狼〜 ヒラマツ・ミノル
Asagiro Asagi rou Hiramatsu Minoru

ここが噂のエル・パラシオ あおやぎ孝夫
Koko ga uwasa no El Parasio Aoyaki Takao

第三世界の長井 なかい けん
Taisan Sekai no Nagai Nakai Ken

リンドバーグ アントンシク
Lindbergh Anton Shik

信長協奏曲 石井あゆみ
Nobunaga Concerto Ishii Ayumi.

ハレルヤオーバードライブ! 高田康太郎
Hallejuah Overdrive! Takata Koutarou

ぼくらのカプトン あすま よしお
Bokura no Capitan Asuma Yoshio

妹先生 渚 むらえた けんいち
Imotou Sensei Nagisa Muraeta Kenichi

アイドルA あだち充
Idol A Adachi Mitsuru (Irregular serialization.)

鉄楽レトラ 佐原ミズ
Tetsugaku Letra Sahara Mizu

ちろり 小山愛子
Chirori Koyama Aiko

ツール・ド・本屋さん 横山裕二
Tour du Honya-san Yokoyama Yuushi

時坂さんは僕と地球に厳しすぎる。田中ほさな
Tokisaka-san wa Boku to Chikyuu ni kibishi sugiru Tanaka Hosana

タケヲちゃん物怪録 とよた みのる
Takewo-Chan Bukkairoku Toyoda Minoru

6のトリガー TALI
Roku no Trigger TALI

あやしや 坂ノ睦
Ayashiya Hanno Mutsumi

ひとりぼっちの地球侵略 小川麻衣子
Hitoribocchi no Chinrakusha Ogawa Maiko

アダンタイ 妖怪絵師録花錦絵 佐伯幸之助
Adantai Youkai eishi roku hanashiki e Saeki Kounosuke

MIX あだち充
MIX Adachi Mitsuru

銀の王 鳴海アミヤ
Gin no O Narumi Amiya (Short serial.)

BULLET ARMORS 森茶
Bullet Armors Moricha.

いつか空から 西森博之
Itsuka Sora kara Nishimori Hiroyuki (Irregular serial.)

This anthology seems to be more for those who enjoy slower slice of life stories moreso than action manga, though there are a few pretty violent things in there. I myself am interested in Bullet Armors, 6 trigger, Hitoribocchi, Takewo, Lindbergh, and Ayashiya. If you want to know actual start dates, check out the wikipedia (in Japanese.)

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Gessan (Gekkan Shounen Sunday.)

Gessan has interested me ever since the first raws came out. I've only had the opportunity to read a limited number of series, what I have read I have enjoyed. I'd like to read Lindbergh, and Nobunaga Concenrto (2012 Shogakukan Award Winner for Shounen). I can't say I am too familiar with the current lineup, I certainly would investigate other series if they were ever translated.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Gessan has interested me ever since the first raws came out. I've only had the opportunity to read a limited number of series, what I have read I have enjoyed. I'd like to read Lindbergh, and Nobunaga Concenrto (2012 Shogakukan Award Winner for Shounen). I can't say I am too familiar with the current lineup, I certainly would investigate other series if they were ever translated.
Lindbergh has anime rumors swirling about, so you may just see it soon. If I could get my hands on the first few chapters, I'd consider translating it, since it'd be a nice replacement for Bullet Armors which has all but confirmed to be ending within the year.

Hitoribocchi is pretty good, and Ayashiya is drawn by the same lady who did Shinobi No Kuni, so the art is pretty amazing. Takewo is a cute read, and the color spreads are always pretty looking. All in all, I'm quite happy with my Gessan subscription. I'd like to see some other WSS artists join the lineup....maybe Tanabe since Mori no Naka was a fun little read.

Oberon

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Those are some Gessan's cover that I have. They are related only to 2012.

Gessan #03

Nobunaga Concerto
信長協奏曲

(Ishii Ayumi)
Gessan #04

Hitoribocchi no Chikyuu Shinryaku
ひとりぼっちの地球侵略

(Ogawa Maiko)
Gessan #05

Tetsugaku Letra
鉄楽レトラ

(Sahara Mizu)
Gessan #06

MIX
ミックス

(Adachi Mitsuru)
Gessan #07

MIX
ミックス

(Adachi Mitsuru)
Gessan #08

Hitoribocchi no Chikyuu Shinryaku
ひとりぼっちの地球侵略

(Ogawa Maiko)

redon

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

I scanned 2 covers too ^^

Last edited:

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland

I would like more of this manga getting scanlated, especially Nobunaga Concerto, Hitoribocchi, Takewo-chan, Lindbergh and Tokisaka-san wa Boku to Chikyuu ni Kibishisugiru . For some reasons I actually don't know I love sunday and I would really love to see Gessan getting more attention.

Lindbergh has anime rumors swirling about, so you may just see it soon. If I could get my hands on the first few chapters, I'd consider translating it, since it'd be a nice replacement for Bullet Armors which has all but confirmed to be ending within the year.

Hitoribocchi is pretty good, and Ayashiya is drawn by the same lady who did Shinobi No Kuni, so the art is pretty amazing. Takewo is a cute read, and the color spreads are always pretty looking. All in all, I'm quite happy with my Gessan subscription. I'd like to see some other WSS artists join the lineup....maybe Tanabe since Mori no Naka was a fun little read.
Lindbergh ANIME ?! Seriously that sounds kind of amazing it would be first anime adaptation from Gessan manga (i think..), Koko ga uwasa no El Palacio got some kind of live action show adaptation but I don't watch this kind of shows.
That was second oneshot that Tanabe drew in Gessan maybe she's really going to start a new serie there.

And manga you were talking about in Oricon thread (with getting a good press in 2ch) was Tokisaka-san wa Boku to Chikyuu ni Kibishisugiru ? I had a little hope that it could interest Manga Editors because it is a manga from author of Rappi Rangai.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Wow, cover scans already?! That's pretty friggn' awesome. Thanks everyone, I wasn't expecting a response to this thread so soon! So many people here are undercover Gessan fans. :) Makes me feel warm and cuddly inside.

I would like more of this manga getting scanlated, especially Nobunaga Concerto, Hitoribocchi, Takewo-chan, Lindbergh and Tokisaka-san wa Boku to Chikyuu ni Kibishisugiru . For some reasons I actually don't know I love sunday and I would really love to see Gessan getting more attention.

Lindbergh ANIME ?! Seriously that sounds kind of amazing it would be first anime adaptation from Gessan manga (i think..), Koko ga uwasa no El Palacio got some kind of live action show adaptation but I don't watch this kind of shows.
That was second oneshot that Tanabe drew in Gessan maybe she's really going to start a new serie there.

And manga you were talking about in Oricon thread (with getting a good press in 2ch) was Tokisaka-san wa Boku to Chikyuu ni Kibishisugiru ? I had a little hope that it could interest Manga Editors because it is a manga from author of Rappi Rangai.
Oh right, Tanabe did draw a previous oneshot in Gessan. I think it even got scantlated....hopefully Mori no Naka gets the same treatment, seeing that I did slave over a translation for it. Well, the Lindbergh anime rumors are pictures posted on the author's twitter of what seems to be a character design sheet. He (or she?) mentions that they may be from an anime production? Lindbergh doesn't sell that well I don't think, but as Kaiten has ranted on several different threads, sales and popularity really don't equal an adaptation, or not equal one.

Tokisaka seems funny, though as with Hitoribocchi and a few others, I'd really like to read chapter one to get a better idea of what it's about. I really wish the place where I got my subscription offered back issues....I've only managed to get the issue that contains the first chapter of 6 Trigger. I think Hitoribocchi and Ayashia started maybe an issue or two after that.

Oh before I forget, the author of 'Waltz' is starting a new series next month....though I forgot what it's called, sorry. When I get home I'll post the title along with the TOC. Maybe even Heji-sama will get involved here and post news and pics. That would be righteous.

Last edited:

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland

Wow, cover scans already?! That's pretty friggn' awesome. Thanks everyone, I wasn't expecting a response to this thread so soon! So many people here are undercover Gessan fans. :) Makes me feel warm and cuddly inside.

Oh right, Tanabe did draw a previous oneshot in Gessan. I think it even got scantlated....hopefully Mori no Naka gets the same treatment, seeing that I did slave over a translation for it. Well, the Lindbergh anime rumors are pictures posted on the author's twitter of what seems to be a character design sheet. He (or she?) mentions that they may be from an anime production? Lindbergh doesn't sell that well I don't think, but as Kaiten has ranted on several different threads, sales and popularity really don't equal an adaptation, or not equal one.

Tokisaka seems funny, though as with Hitoribocchi and a few others, I'd really like to read chapter one to get a better idea of what it's about. I really wish the place where I got my subscription offered back issues....I've only managed to get the issue that contains the first chapter of 6 Trigger. I think Hitoribocchi and Ayashia started maybe an issue or two after that.

Oh before I forget, the author of 'Waltz' is starting a new series next month....though I forgot what it's called, sorry. When I get home I'll post the title along with the TOC. Maybe even Heji-sama will get involved here and post news and pics. That would be righteous.

The name of the new manga from Waltz duo (or this'll be solo project from artist ?) is Vanilla Fiction. I hope it'll be better than Waltz because I actually don't like it so much.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

The name of the new manga from Waltz duo (or this'll be solo project from artist ?) is Vanilla Fiction. I hope it'll be better than Waltz because I actually don't like it so much.
Ahah. Yeah I knew it was Vanilla something. I think it's just the artist, Megumi...something something working alone. I didn't see any mention of the writer when I was reading through the mag itself.

I forgot to mention that I totally agree with you on the Sunday love. Maybe there are less than 700,000 circulating in Japan, but I'm proud that I'm one of the people getting an issue each week. There's just something about Sunday that interests me more than Jump or Magazine. I really only picked up Gessan for Bullet Armors, but I'm liking so much more in the magazine now. I hope to translate something on a regular basis from it once Bullet ends, but it depends on whether I can get my hands on first chapters and stuff. Lindbergh is looking mighty tempting, and my kid sisters really like Overdrive.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland

Ahah. Yeah I knew it was Vanilla something. I think it's just the artist, Megumi...something something working alone. I didn't see any mention of the writer when I was reading through the mag itself.

I forgot to mention that I totally agree with you on the Sunday love. Maybe there are less than 700,000 circulating in Japan, but I'm proud that I'm one of the people getting an issue each week. There's just something about Sunday that interests me more than Jump or Magazine. I really only picked up Gessan for Bullet Armors, but I'm liking so much more in the magazine now. I hope to translate something on a regular basis from it once Bullet ends, but it depends on whether I can get my hands on first chapters and stuff. Lindbergh is looking mighty tempting, and my kid sisters really like Overdrive.
Yeah, it's something that I can't describe myself. I'm observing Sunday threads, site, everything that's related to it for about a year know ? Maybe even longer and sometimes I ask myself why I'm so much obssesed with Sunday ? And even now I don't know the answer.

I can only hope that series from Gessan will get more attention from Manga Editors, so We all could read them.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Yeah, it's something that I can't describe myself. I'm observing Sunday threads, site, everything that's related to it for about a year know ? Maybe even longer and sometimes I ask myself why I'm so much obssesed with Sunday ? And even now I don't know the answer.

I can only hope that series from Gessan will get more attention from Manga Editors, so We all could read them.
I'll do my best to promote Gessan, though with no scanner and very little time I don't find that very easy to do. At least I hope to convince someone to scantlate Bullet Armors so there's at least one more Gessan series out there.

What would you like to see translated above all? I'm interested in Adandai, Lindbergh, Takewo and Overdrive myself, though I did already translate the first chapter of 6 Trigger.

------
I've never done this before, so I don't know how to use all the pretty colors seen on the WSJ TOC, but here goes.

Hitoribocchi no Chinrakusha (Cover and Center color.)
MIX
Tetsugaku Letra
Tokisaka-san
Mori no naka (Oneshot.)
Takewo-Chan Bukkairoku
Koko ga uwasa no El Parasio
Aoi honoo
Chirori
Asagiro
Hallelujah Overdrive! (Color)
Asagiro (Appears twice for some reason.)
Yoshioo-sama
Bokura no Captain
Imoto sensei Nagisa
Gin no ou (Short serial.)
Adandai
6 trigger
Bullet Armors
Nagai
Linbergh
Tour du Honya-san.

Break
Nobunaga Concerto
Ayashiya

Issue 9
New series: Vanilla Fiction (Cover and center color.)
Asagiro (Center color.)
Nobunaga Concerto (Center color.)
Chirori (Center Color)

Break
Tetsugaku Letra
Imouto Sensei Nagisa.

That's the TOC. I notice that Letra and Nagisa seem to be on break often, I guess it might be some 'every other issue' deal? In any case I'll do this each month unless Heji comes around. (Wink wink nudge nudge.)

Last edited:

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland

I'll do my best to promote Gessan, though with no scanner and very little time I don't find that very easy to do. At least I hope to convince someone to scantlate Bullet Armors so there's at least one more Gessan series out there.

What would you like to see translated above all? I'm interested in Adandai, Lindbergh, Takewo and Overdrive myself, though I did already translate the first chapter of 6 Trigger.

------
I've never done this before, so I don't know how to use all the pretty colors seen on the WSJ TOC, but here goes.

Hitoribocchi no Chinrakusha (Cover and Center color.)
MIX
Tetsugaku Letra
Tokisaka-san
Mori no naka (Oneshot.)
Takewo-Chan Bukkairoku
Aoi honoo
Chirori
Asagiro
Hallelujah Overdrive! (Color)
Asagiro (Appears twice for some reason.)
Yoshioo-sama
Bokura no Captain
Imoto sensei Nagisa
Gin no ou (Short serial.)
Adandai
6 trigger
Bullet Armors
Nagai
Linbergh
Tour du Honya-san.

Break
Nobunaga Concerto
Ayashiya

Issue 9
New series: Vanilla Fiction (Cover and center color.)
Asagiro (Center color.)
Chirori (Center Color)

Break
Tetsugaku Letra
Imouto Sensei Nagisa.

That's the TOC. I notice that Letra and Nagisa seem to be on break often, I guess it might be some 'every other issue' deal? In any case I'll do this each month unless Heji comes around. (Wink wink nudge nudge.)
I don't know actually what serie have higher priority for me. As long as even one of the series I mentioned above would be scanlated I would be pleased... but I also think that Nobunaga and Lindbergh now are the best two choices and if you're saying that Bullet Armors is a good manga I want to read it as soon as possible ;)

Is Gessan TOC going in the same scheme as TOC in Sunday ? Or is it complete random arrangement ?

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly I'm not sure what the TOC arrangement is. Bullet Armors has always been really low and now it's being cut, which seems to suggest that if a series is low on the TOC like in other mags, it gets cut. Though there have always been series under it, and they are NOT being cut, which seems to suggest at least a slight degree of editor favoritism. Who knows. Sunday's kinda weird too, since some manga will stick around in the bottom for more than half a year before being cut. I really believe that Sunday editors try to make something last before giving up on it. That's my thought on it anyway.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I found this, though it doesn't state what got color pages and stuff. I should have my physical copy of the mag on Wednesday, so I'll update then.

VANILLA(新)……
MIX………………
地球侵略…………
タケヲ……………
信長………………
ハレルヤ…………
アオイ……………
カプトン…………
あやしや…………
よしとお…………
アダンダイ………
銀の王……………
アサギロ…………
れしぴ(読切)……
時坂さん…………
トリガー…………
ちろり……………
エルパラ…………
BULLET……………
第三世界…………
リンドバーグ………
本屋さん…………

Vanilla Fiction (Cover and center color.)
MIX
Hitoribocchi no Chinrakusha
Takewo-Chan Bukkairoku
Hallelujah Overdrive!
Aoi honoo
Bokura no Captain
Ayashia
Yoshitoo-sama!
Adantai Youkai eishi roku hanashiki e
Gin no O (Short serial)
Asagiro (Center color.)
Washibi (One shot.)
Tokisaka-san wa Boku to Chikyuu ni kibishi sugiru
6 Trigger
Chirori (Center Color)
Bullet Armors
Taisan Sekai no Nagai
Lindbergh
Tour du Honya-san

I'm seriously considering buying the Lindbergh tanks and getting to work on them. Bullet's ending, Anagle's on Hiatus, and I am on my last raw of Boku to Majo no Jikan. So the only thing I'm really doing on a regular basis is Gintama. What do you guys think?

I'll update with the next issue's contents on Wednesday.

matto24

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Unfortunately I only follow el palacio of the gessan , lol.
anagle mole did not like it, I read a few chapters, and I took.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Angele Mole is in Shounen Sunday, not Gessan.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Love it! Can't wait for the next chapter of Mix to come out.