Chapter Forty-Six: And the Puppeteer Pulls His Strings | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Chapter Forty-Six: And the Puppeteer Pulls His Strings

rhapsody blue

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Author�s Note (Before reading)
Sorry again about the length in advance. It isn�t my longest chapter, but it�s still pretty long. I really do believe that this is my worst chapter of the bunch but oh well. It went from a great idea to pure crack within minutes. My bad. To make up for it, I included some fan service, but you�ll need to use your imagination for that. :xp

If it appears that I�m mocking HQ, it probably because I am. But what�s the point of living if you can�t make fun of yourself, right? :XD

The title probably doesn�t make sense now but it will later much later, I promise.

Chapter Forty-Six: And the Puppeteer Pulls His Strings

Part One
The sun felt good today. As she laid herself onto the ground, Stephanie sighed. Swimming ten miles in a day was quite tiresome and draining but if it was to make her stronger then it was worth the pain. At that moment, however, the exorcist didn�t agree with that thought. She felt the soreness in her legs and arms and a sense of dying entered her mind. She wondered if death would even be this painful or this draining...

Being one of the oldest exorcists did have its perks. Trusting her work ethics and maturity, Lione had allowed her to create her own training regiment and to workout alone. Unfortunately, there was also a drawback; discovering that the exorcist preferred to swim rather than run, the branch leader forced her to wear the official Black Order swimsuit that the main HQ had commissioned and that was designed by the Head Science Monitor.

Stephanie tugged at her bikini bottom and questioned the practicality of such a swimsuit for training. The only thing this bikini would be useful in would be working on a tan and maybe getting boys� attention.

As the sun warmed her body, she felt the water evaporating and the melatonin in her body kicking in. As she closed her eyes, she muttered to herself, "She never did like the light. I would go outside and enjoy the sun. She would rather stay in the shade and bask in its darkness." Stephanie always liked lying outside when it was sunny; it reminded her of her mother's hug, a sense of human warmth. The girl had not felt this way in a long time until recently.

The mission with Blade and Flames was supposed to be typical. However, she did not expect a sense of attachment to the Bookman and rather enjoyed this sense of being so close to someone again. Even though he made her feel special, part of her did still doubt and regret her decision to let her guard down, wondering if it was wrong of her to kiss him. Becoming involved with someone in a dangerous professional might just bring her heartache.

She felt her body going numb and sleep inching up on her. Thoughts of Zeran entered her mind. It had been weeks since the boy�s disappearance and HQ had not been successful in their search for the lost exorcist. She recalled how desperate he was to receive her forgiveness after the shampoo incident that he revealed the location of this secluded waterhole. Stephanie knew that she would be lying if she said that she did not miss him; torturing him daily was quite entertaining and gave her some happiness.

::SNAP:: Her body suddenly became alert and her eyes darted towards the direction of the sound. What was that? A lurking Akuma? An innocent animal? A peeping Legno? Not taking a chance, Stephanie quickly went to grab her clothes but because of her panic, she couldn�t find them. Damn it, this isn�t good. Looking at her black ribbons lying next to her, she summoned �Metamorphosis!� resulting in their wrapping around her.

::CRACK:: The exorcist faced the forest with her arms ready for battle. A figure was slowly coming out. The shadows of the trees blurred his face but from a distance, Stephanie knew that he was taller and more built than she. Was it that Noah whom she met at the caf� in Opalo?

Part Two
"Help me�" cried the figure as he limped closer to her. His hair was matted with sweat and blood while his handsome face appeared bloody and bruised. He had deep cuts all over his body, which caused the Asian girl to gasp at such a ghastly sight. He appeared harmless and was definitely not in fighting condition. Noticing his uneven walk, she ran towards him before he fell to the ground.

He begged, "Please help me" as he fell into her arms. The force caused the exorcist to stumble and cuss; he weighed about sixty pounds more than her and if she didn't do anything fast, he would fall on top of her. She didn't have the strength to push him off of her and she was far from Headquarters to call for help.

As if they were sensing her situation, her ribbons left her and enveloped the injured man. The exorcist quickly leapt away from him and examined him. He appeared like any normal person except his red hair really stood out. Could he be a Bookman?

Part Three
"What a shame that he escaped!" cried Magier as she stared into the distance with displeasure. I.A. was busy examining the mutilated body that lay before him with great interest as if he was critiquing an art piece.

Jacques looked up from the Bible he was intently reading and replied, "I suppose that it may be a blow in our quest but it�s beyond our control now." He was quite intent on reading and having this pointless conversation again was rather distracting.

Sensing that his sister didn't believe him, the Noah continued, "Besides, letting that one go may be beneficial." Hopefully, saying this will quench her anger and restlessness.

Before Magier could respond to such carefree words, I.A. interrupted her. "Relax, Magier! I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Why else would he be so calm in this kind of situation?"

Magier nodded to show that she understood what I.A. said. It was true that Jacques was quite composed despite the fact that they still haven�t received much information about the Thunder-god legend that the Earl was so intent on investigating. He had been awfully quiet ever since that bastard exorcist severely wounded him. But still, didn�t he understand that she was scared of losing him?

"What are you planning, Jacques?"

Part Four
Walking two miles in a deeply forested area while carrying a wounded and heavier man proved to be draining than training. Even with the help of her ribbons, Stephanie struggled to reach the NA HQ in time so the injured person could get treatment. He clearly needed help and appeared to have information that could aid the Black Order in their battle against the Earl�s forces.

"We're almost there," assured the exorcist. Talking to him was essential to keep him from falling unconscious and she was feared for the worse if she allowed him to sleep.

"Uuuuuuuuuhhhh," escaped her companion's mouth. Regardless of her best effort to make a conversation, the only things that the girl got from him were grunts, moan, and the occasional "I need to get to HQ. I need to talk to Lione!"

Several feet in front of the pair laid a bare valley. Stephanie smirked; even though it appeared like there was nothing in the area, she knew that she had arrived at HQ. "Hang on! We're almost there!"

There was no response, causing the exorcist to pause. She glanced at the man and noticed that his breathing was getting slower and slower. $#!+... The exorcist quickened her pace; if he died now, she could never forgive herself.

Part Five
As she passed the invisible shield, a sense of coldness passed through her body and a huge brick building stood before her. Did she make it in time?

"You're late! And why on earth are you walking around dressed like that?" came a booming voice at the entrance. With two Finders on each of his sides, Lione stood in commanding fashion, looking stern and concerned; anytime someone was late, he would worry and fear for the worst.

Stephanie quickly covered herself with her hands, hoping that Blade did not see her in such a state. After calming herself down from her encounter with the man, she had found her clothes lying near the clear pond. She had quickly tossed it on, leaving her top unbuttoned. Panting, she apologized, "Lione, I'm sorry I'm late but this is no time for lectures. This man needs our help!" and her ribbons quickly dropped the man into a Finder's arms.

Lione examined the injured male and gasped, "A Bookman?" He turned to the Finders and ordered, "Take this man to the hospital wing stat! Make sure that Ying treats him and that he stays alive!" The Finders nodded and ran into the building. Screams of "Move aside!" and "Out of our way!" reverberated and echoed throughout the walls.

The branch leader looked at his subordinate's direction and said, "I have no idea what happened but come into my office and tell me exactly what happened." Encountering a badly wounded Bookman in this area was a coincidence and suspicious at the same time.

Still trying to catch her breath, Stephanie nodded and headed up the stairs. She knew that when Lione wanted to get to the bottom of a matter, he would investigate thoroughly. She sighed; it might be a long night.

Part Six
It was two o'clock in the morning when the man finally woke up. As he opened his eyes, he let out a loud scream, causing everyone in the building to run into the hospital wing. Raising his arms to his face, he yelled, "Why the hell is my skin blue?!?"

Ying ran over and forced him to lay flat on the bed. "I used the ointment that Zeran gave us earlier. Since it worked so well on Stephanie, I thought I give it a try on the new patient. I have been trying to recreate the medicine without the side effect but haven't been successful." She hung her head in disappointment, causing some Finders to pat her back in order to comfort her.

However, the guy looked at her distrustfully. He didn�t know whether to believe that she was truly regretful or was mocking him because she was smiling the entire time during her apology. He looked around and noticed several people wearing black uniforms. In their direction, he requested urgently, "I need to see the branch leader of this branch. I need to talk to Lione right now!"

Lione stepped forward and introduced himself. "I'm the leader of this branch. And you are?" The man extended his right hand and replied, "Amiti. I have been desperately trying to find this place with my brother."

The branch leader observed Amiti�s bewilderment and glanced around the room. There were too many people in this room and this was clearly bothering the patient. He ordered everyone except the Exorcists out; Ying stayed behind to treat and observe him just in case he had any further reaction to the medication while Daniel was given permission to observe since he was new.

Once everyone else had left the room and returned to his quarters, Lione turned his attention to Amiti who had calmed down from his shock. "What is so important that you needed to see me so badly?"

Part Seven
Amiti sat up and let out a sigh. He explained, "My brother and I are from the Bookman Clan. We had been hearing rumors that the Earl had been seeking Bookmen so we were worried for our safety." The man was slightly trembling now, causing Ying to get some water. Everyone else was listening intently to his story, dissecting every word he said in an attempt to detect the truth in his tale.

After taking a sip from the cup the healer had given him, Amiti ran his hands through his red, wavy hair and continued, "We knew that we couldn�t defend ourselves since we weren�t compatible with Innocence like you. The first thought that came to our mind was to head here and hope that we could receive sanctuary until it was safe enough for us to travel again. Unfortunately, we came upon three strangers..."

The patient had now stopped talking and was looking contemplatively at the inside of his cup. Lione looked around and noticed the uneasiness surrounding the room. Everyone was eyeing at each other as if they were trying to confirm their hypothesis.

"Could you describe them?" asked Flame, breaking the silence of the room. The exorcist's words shocked Amiti out of his daze, causing him to accidentally spill his drink on his leg. The redhead shook his head and reluctantly spoke, "The group consisted to two males and a female. The oldest of the group reminded me of a priest while the girl looked like a normal school girl. The other person had an aristocratic air about him. They offered to help us on our journey in exchange for information about a thunder-god. Since we are sworn never to speak of the hidden history we record, we refused to tell them. This only enraged them and they transformed. Bloody crosses appeared on their forehead and their skin had a gray tint as if they were turning into some kind of monsters."

Part Eight
Upon hearing this, the three female exorcists shifted a little as they recalled their experience with the three Noah in Opalo. Noticing their discomfort, Lione signaled the exorcists to leave the room and they all followed their leader out the door. Ying stayed behind to observe the redhead; she had to make sure that he did not do anything irrational.

"What do you think of his story so far?" asked the branch leader. Even though he knew a living Bookman was valuable, he had to make sure that this wasn't some sort of trick. Everyone who had entered the Black Order had gone through this intense questioning so he knew that the exorcists would understand the process that Amiti was going through. He valued the opinions of his peers and knew that he could trust their input .

"I don't believe him," responded Daniel as he leaned against the stone wall with his arms crossed. He wasn't the type of person to trust another right away; to him, trust should not be given away freely. "Besides, where is his brother� if he HAD one?"

The branch leader pondered for a minute and addressed, "Legno, Blade. Do you know anything about Amiti or his brother? After all, you guys are from the same clan."

The Bookman cleared his voice and replied, "I knew of his brother Ahiram. He was well respected in the clan and trustworthy. I don't know much about Amiti but he was a quite reserved. He was a bookworm and kept to himself. Besides, he might know something concerning the diary."

Blade nodded in agreement but added his two cents. "It's just too suspicious that he encountered three Noahs but not Cross. Seriously, almost everyone here has met this evasive general."

"Isn�t HQ currently looking for him?" muttered someone; no one answered the question.

The Bookman continued, "Also, why doesn't he carry a katana? Almost everyone has this weapon--even that female Noah." Tabitha"s eyes lit up and she sighed dreamily, "Yeah, Kanda has one too..." Hearts swirled around her head as thoughts of the moody exorcist entered her mind. She was going to sleep well tonight.

Eny quickly shot back. "I think we can trust him! Just because he doesn�t have a clear past or fit the Bookmen stereotype doesn't mean we can't let him stay here. Besides, you guys didn�t trust me right away when I came here, remember?"

Tabitha quietly mumbled, "Yeah that's because you were a complete bitch." The Bookwoman glared at the teenager for a long time.

"We need more information from Amiti before we can completely judge him," suggested Flame. Lione smiled and nodded. Despite the fact that Flame was younger than him, the branch leader knew that the native was wise beyond his years.

Part Nine
Upon seeing the exorcists reenter the room, Amiti appeared startled. It was quite late and he thought that he had given him an accurate version of his account. Lione pulled up a chair and sat down near the patient�s bed. After making himself comfortable, the exorcist said, "We understand that you had a hard journey but we had one more question...where is your brother Ahiram?"

The Bookman looked down at his hands and they trembled. As tears welled up in his eyes, he began, "Those monsters were too much for us. They were merciless and vicious; they were out to kill us. I was severely wounded by the female and she was about to kill me when my brother pushed her out of my way. He told me to run to HQ while he tried his best to stall them. The last time I saw my brother, he was facing those three travelers..."

An unholy silence filled the room and Lione felt awkward and regretful for asking the question now. But before he could respond, Tabitha blurted, "Lione, we have to believe him! He has a tragic past...just like the rest of us!"

Part Ten
Rinvak shot the teenager a dirty look and muttered quickly, "Sorry about your loss." Tabitha was now patting Amiti's back; she knew what it was like to lose one's brother in front of one�s eyes. The feelings of powerlessness and sorrow, which she had repressed, had come back to her at once and she felt tears coming down her face.

"Wait a minute! I don't have a tragic past" commented Eny. "Don't group me with the rest of you!" Rinvak looked up from her thoughts and replied, "Now that you mentioned it, I don't have a tragic past either."

Lione glared at the two and spoke through clenched teeth, "Will you please shut up? Now is not the time to debate how messed up or emo this HQ is." After peace and order had been restored to the room, the branch leader cleared his throat and said, "Speaking of which, it is getting late and I know that we all have appointment with the shrink early tomorrow. We should go to bed and resume this later."

"What about Zeran? How is he going to hold up without his therapy session?" questioned Blade. Everyone in NA HQ was worried about the lost exorcist despite his cold manner towards them. Ying piped up cheerfully from the medicine cabinet, "Don't worry! He has his pills!"

All but Ying began to :sweat and slowly began to excuse themselves from the room. As Lione was about to leave, Amiti called out from his bed, "Wait! Do you not trust me?" He hated not being trusted especially by an important person.

Not turning his face towards the Bookman, the exorcist replied, "I judge a person by his actions, not his words. You should go to bed and regain your strength. Focus on that first and then on gaining my trust."

Amiti sighed and replied coldly, "Judge a person by his action, eh? Well then, what if I told you that I have important information about..."

Author�s Notes (After reading)
BUWHAHAHAHA! The unfinished sentence has struck again!!

btw, if you couldn't tell, my character treats Zeran like a cruel older sister. Hehe

Sorry for such a bad chapter. I think the saving grace might be the funny comments at the end.

@Djmewmew, I told you that you would have one of the coolest and funniest comment in this chapter (end of Part Nine). Hehe

So what important information does Amiti has that will aid the exorcist? Does it deal with the thundergod? Zeran? The diary?
I don�t know; it�s up to the upcoming writers. (side note: sweet spoiler within a spoiler)

Amiti will play an important role in the future but I don�t know when I will reveal it. So don't kill him please until he fulfills his part. :) Please pair him up with someone; it'll be important later on as well.

Thanks again for reading!

Last edited:

deathshadow25

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
:rofl

“Lione, we have to believe him! He has a tragic past… just like the rest of us!”
thats way too funny and don't forget this...

Rinvak shot the teenager a dirty look and muttered quickly, “Sorry about your loss.” Tabitha was now patting Amiti’s back; she knew what it was like to lose one’s brother in front of one’s eyes. The feelings of powerlessness and sorrow, which she had repressed, had come back to her at once and she felt tears coming down her face.

“Wait a minute! I don’t have a tragic past” commented Eny. “Don’t group me with the rest of you!” Rinvak looked up from her thoughts and replied, “Now that you mentioned it, I don’t have a tragic past either.”
I don't know what your talking about this was a great chapter I was laughing alot especially towards the end

*pictures the Linali with the exorcist bikini*

:ebisunb

Ah and mention of Flames wisdom makes me love this chapter more !

g2g :narsleepy

AthrunZala222

ur evil snoogy >> cruel older sister????

when it's my turn I'll make u all regret u ever mistreated Zeran!!!!!!! unfortunately he'll be left out of the loop. But if you want you can always drag him in as a "cloaked figure with a white eyepatch" the type who suddenly appears, saves asses, and disappears XP. But only if u want. it doesn't matter to me since Zeran is staying in ONE town.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schwindelmagier

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
GREAT CHAPTER. I don't know what you are thinking about, it's an amazing chapter and funny parts at the right moments.
Lione behaves really cool as leader <3. I loved it when he said: "Will you please shut up? Now is not the time to debate how messed up or emo this HQ is."
And this discussiuon whose past is tragic and not in font of an several hurt Bookman xD.
By the way, the name of the bookmna, Amiti, it sounds Turkish for me ^_^".

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I love it when other persons are writting parts of the Noah and I especially love how Amaterasu is examining the mutilated body that lay before him with great interest as if he was critiquing an art piece. Great. Magier was brutal again :P.
Either she's extremely brutal or extremely emo.
"But still, didn’t he understand that she was scared of losing him?" How sweeeet <3.

So Daniel, David..what was his name? ^_^" is part of the HQ now? Like the fact. BUt this unfinished sentence >.<. aaaaaaah~~~~ the same we had with Ying.

Last edited:

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
*pictures the Linali with the exorcist bikini*
Well each chapter is supposed to inspire you so if that's the way it inspires you, go for it.

ur evil snoogy >> cruel older sister????

when it's my turn I'll make u all regret u ever mistreated Zeran!!!!!!! unfortunately he'll be left out of the loop. But if you want you can always drag him in as a "cloaked figure with a white eyepatch" the type who suddenly appears, saves asses, and disappears XP. But only if u want. it doesn't matter to me since Zeran is staying in ONE town.
Awwww... come on! You like it! There's nothing like a teasing older sister

GREAT CHAPTER. I don't know what you are thinking about, it's an amazing chapter and funny parts at the right moments.
Lione behaves really cool as leader <3. I loved it when he said: "Will you please shut up? Now is not the time to debate how messed up or emo this HQ is."
And this discussiuon whose past is tragic and not in font of an several hurt Bookman xD.
By the way, the name of the bookmna, Amiti, it sounds Turkish for me ^_^".

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I love it when other persons are writting parts of the Noah and I especially love how Amaterasu is examining the mutilated body that lay before him with great interest as if he was critiquing an art piece. Great. Magier was brutal again :P.
Either she's extremely brutal or extremely emo.
"But still, didn

Schwindelmagier

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I wanted to hint at a Magier-Jaques relationship; I mean, Noahs don't follow the rules so why should they not be in love with one another? And they're only family bc their Noah genes are activatted, right?
Yep *nods* totally right. But I am still sure that it would be a onesided love ^_^. If Magier one day notices that the unavoidable feeling she feels and kind of despise is "love". You see, I ahve huuuge plans for this.

aaaaaaaah yeah, until you mentioned that Steph reached the HQ dressed, I thought she would run through the forest in the bikini with a half-dead bookman on her back xD.

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
aaaaaaaah yeah, until you mentioned that Steph reached the HQ dressed, I thought she would run through the forest in the bikini with a half-dead bookman on her back xD.
:rofl

Raijatsu

Reaction score
Country
Germany
woah the Noahs are angry aren't they? ^^
Since the Thundergod innocense is found I'll need to think about a new goal.....
I think It'll be Amiti ^^ I dunno why (and the Noahs don't know aswell XD)
I really want to know why he is so important....

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
woah the Noahs are angry aren't they? ^^
Since the Thundergod innocense is found I'll need to think about a new goal.....
I think It'll be Amiti ^^ I dunno why (and the Noahs don't know aswell XD)
I really want to know why he is so important....
Hmmm... I guess I should PM you the reason why he is important but you'll have to keep it a secret~

Raijatsu

Reaction score
Country
Germany
:3

I'm planning to do evil stuff ^^
koenosaki hurry

I better start working

loves being evil :luv

rosalefay

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
An unholy silence filled the room and Lione felt awkward and regretful for asking the question now. But before he could respond, Tabitha blurted,

Djmewmew

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
'Now is not the time to debate about how emo or messed up our HQ is!'

Rofl XDDD loved that. Tabby's line was great too. X3 And Eny's response. 8D

.....I've really got to write Rinvak's past for my next chappie. XP

*reads Rosa's post* Oh, yeah the fnagirl moment. Thanks for putting that in~!!! X3

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm so glad that you and rosa liked it. I was afraid that you wouldn't like that one line. And I remembered how you mentioned Tabitha's crush on Kanda so I thought I bring it up. :amuse