Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021) | Page 80 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Komi-san, wa Komyushou desu?

• Amazing

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torca

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
If Matsuena series is scheduled to be launched in the Spring and there wasn't any info on Hata new series we still can expect it to be released this Winter I guess?

I dunno, I don't think that the fishery studies are bad as a concept I like the perspective of two heroes in other schools so it's actually pretty nice and detailed for this type of manga but I didn't like that everything at the beginning was dragged and overdramatized. Gin no Saji is a masterpiece for this type of series, the balance of comedy, information from agriculture, our hero searching his life path and problems with papa, cast being so enjoyable and light romance is so good. I don't know if I'll ever read a better similar to it manga. Kusaba tried different angle, it didn't work.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
If Matsuena series is scheduled to be launched in the Spring and there wasn't any info on Hata new series we still can expect it to be released this Winter I guess?
I thought I remembered seeing a tweet from Hata's Twitter that he had either finished or was close to finishing the first chapter of his new series at the end of 2017 before new year's. This could just be another case of Google Translate failing me lol, or maybe he was talking about that ad miniseries thing he's doing with the girl who looks like she's from Ad Astra

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I thought I remembered seeing a tweet from Hata's Twitter that he had either finished or was close to finishing the first chapter of his new series at the end of 2017 before new year's. This could just be another case of Google Translate failing me lol, or maybe he was talking about that ad miniseries thing he's doing with the girl who looks like she's from Ad Astra

It seems so. I don't know how much material does mangaka need to have before actual serialization but starting a series in February doesn't seem like something impossible?

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

It seems so. I don't know how much material does mangaka need to have before actual serialization but starting a series in February doesn't seem like something impossible?
I was thinking February to early March at the latest. My guess is that they're going to give the 3 new series a handful of more issues to kind of solidify the general area where they will tend to appear in the TOC, mainly if they will be trapped in the basement of not. They should have a decent grasp of the public's reception of the 3 new series after a handful of more chapters, and definitely by the time their first volumes come out at the latest.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Is there a thread of Marry Grave or did I miss something. The third chapter is a confirmation of all the good the author is making. THAT ART did you see that punch?

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue#8

I guess confirmation that Arai is not leaving Shougakukan is nice, since the end of chapter blurb says as much. Still it would have been nice to see the Quadrable actually soar, though I detail why it didn't in the entry. Things are pretty quiet without Conan or the vets around, but Sunday itself feels...soild? Consistent? Not sure how to phrase it. Still, it needs that killer app or well, series to really get itself noticed. Hopefully Matsuena and Hata have what it takes.

Shinigami was also way cuter and better than I thought it would be. Looking forward to the next set next week.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
The first chapter of Tantei Xeno has been translated into English for those interested. It's up on Batoto, but I guess I won't bother linking it since it'll be shut down in roughly 24 hours anyways. Looks like it was done by some people on 4chan.

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Major 2nd Anime Staff
Director: Ayumu Watanabe (Space Brothers, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni, Ace Attorney)
Character Design: Kenichi Ohnuki (Major S2+)
Music: Kotaro Nakagawa (Major: World Series)
Script: Michihiro Tsuchiya (Major S1), Kenji Konuta (Ace of Diamond/Ousama Game/Saiyuki Reload Blast series composition), Mitsuyo Suenaga (Major S4-6), Kenichi Yamashita (RoboMasters, Jitsu wa Watashi wa, DGM Hallow)

Watanabe is directing this and Gurazeni in the same season, just after KoiAme. Oh boy...

Mr.Fujimaster

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This anime looks promising.
I do not read the series and I hope this anime is good.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
By the way, I do not know many series from Sunday.
The only manga I know and read is Komi-san wa, Komyushou Desu.
Komi-san is a series that I'm simply loving, the manga always makes me laugh.

I'd like some suggestions.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

I'll give you some suggestions, but fair warning, the majority of these will be romcoms and comedies. But since you like Komi, I'm assuming at least one or two of these will work for you. Here's what I read in addition to Komi-san:

Amano Megumi wa Suki darake!
- An ecchi romcom. Really slow progress relationship-wise, but I enjoy the gags. The series has gotten better over time, the newest characters introduced seem promising, and my least favorite character from the beginning (the teacher) has basically been nowhere to be found for the last 50 or so chapters. Caught up in English

Tenshi & Akuto!!
- A comedy with light romantic undertones (growing as the series progresses). It's about voice acting; a pompous guy with a girly voice and a girl who's a few years younger than him that's already a professional. There's also a large supporting cast of supporting characters who are also great. An underrated, under-read series in English. Unfortunately, only 16 chapters are in English right now, but the translation is not dead (a chapter was just released a couple days ago). Translations are into the 40s if you can read Spanish.

Hoankan Evans no Uso ~Dead or Love~
- A romcom. Set in the old West, it's full of some nice gags. The setting and adult characters are also refreshing to see. The chapters are only about 10 pages each, so this one wouldn't take as long to catch up on. Caught up in English

Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san
- A slice-of-life with light comedy. This one is truly special. Another shorter page count series, it manages to accomplish so much, and frequently with very little dialogue. You end up rooting for every character, but especially the main girl. She's always optimistic and positive, and it is infectious for both those around her and the readers. Basically caught up to present in English.

Maoujou de Oyasumi
- A comedy. A nice fantasy setting with unique monster characters. A captured princess wants to sleep comfortably in her new whereabouts and will do anything to make that a reality. The series got better for me as more characters were introduced over time. Translations are about halfway to current Japanese chapter (40-something out of 80-something I believe)

Dagashi Kashi
- A comedy with light, occasional romantic undertones. You get to learn a lot about Japanese candy and snacks in a pretty unique way. The girls are super cute, and the "action" scenes (without spoiling any) are really funny. Translations are a bit over halfway to present Japanese chapter (100-something out 170-something). The translator on 4chan has also been doing translations for the most recent chapters along with the chronological order, but I recommend waiting for the translations to catch up naturally.

Marry Grave
- A new comedy/action/tragic romance series. A man has to go around gathering items for a recipe that'll bring his deceased wife back from the dead. The artwork is phenomenal, the expressions vibrant, and the panels convey an amazing sense of movement. Translations caught up in English

Hatsukoi Zombie
- A romcom. A guy gets the ability to see all males' "first love zombies," and then deals with various peoples' issues, including his own. His own personal love zombie, Eve, makes this series worth reading in my opinion. Watching her grow and become more human has been endearing. I've simplified the love zombie concept and major characters quite a bit to avoid spoilers, but it's pretty good. Sometimes gets a bit too dramatic for my taste. English translations almost caught up (90-ish out of almost 110; looks like the group doing it needs a new translator)

King of Idol (KOI)
- A gender-bender comedy. A boy wants to become an idol (for reasons I will not reveal due to spoilers), but must go disguised as a girl to get into the best idol training school. He meets other girls and hijinks ensue. It has been decent so far; I'm willing to learn more about the world the author is developing. English translations it seems have stalled out for the time being (about 10 out of 30 translated)

Soukyuu no Ariadne - A new adventure series. A boy wants to travel and learn more about the world, and he ends up doing so with a princess from another land with a similar goal. It's not usually the type of thing I read, but it has been decent so far. I like fantasy vibes, so I'm curious to see what it'll introduce. English translations caught up to present.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue #9 TOC

Major 2nd by Mitsuya Takeda (Cover/Lead Color, Chapter 124)
Komi-san wa Komyushou desu by Tomohito Oda (Chapter 121)
Sokyuu no Ariadne by Norihiro Yagi (Chapter 6)
Dagashikashi by KOTOYAMA (Chapter 175)
Marry Grave by Hidenori Yamaji (Chapter 5/ Color page)
Amano Megumi wa Suki darake! by Nekoguchi (Chapter 107)
Daiku no Hatou by Michiteru Kusaba (Chapter 36)
Maoujo de Oyasumi by Kagiji Kumanomata (Chapter 84)
Tantei Xeno to nanatsu satsujin misshitsu Story by Kyouichi Nanatsuki/Art by Teppei Sugiyama (Chapter 7)
Shinobi no by Rokuro Ogaki (Chapter 26)
Hoankan Evans no Uso ~Dead or Love~ by Mizuki Kuriyama (Chapter 38)
Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san by Aiko Koyama (Chapter 52)
Tenshi & Akuto!! By Aya Hirakawa (Chapter 149)
Souboutei Kowasubeshi by Kazuhiro Fujita (Chapter 86)
Hatsukoi Zombie by Ryou Minenami (Chapter 109)
Aozakura daigakkou monogatari by Hikaru Nikaido (Chapter 75)
K.O.I King of Idol by Tamaki Wakaki (Chapter 31)
Yuugami-kun ni wa tomodachi ga inai by Jun Sakurai (Chapter 66)
Zettai Karen Children by Takashi Shiina (Chapter 493)
Meteor Girl by Reach Ishiyama (Chapter 34/End)
Youkai Giga by Satsuki Satou
Tokaichi Hitoribocchi nouen by Yuuji Yokoyama (Chapter 7)

Ryoko and Conan are (still) on indefinite hiatus, and Be Blues is out until issue #11.

In issue #10, Tenshi and Akuto gets a lead color for it's 150th chapter, Dagashikashi gets a color page for it's anime's airing, "The Showman" runs in weekly Sunday as part of a special serial, (So I guess this is a thing now to fill pages.) And Birdmen is in for it's monthly chapter.

At the end of Meteor Girl, it says Ishiyama is preparing a new work, so I guess this was a trial run, and they're coming back eventually.

Oh, I just saw this, but apparently they'll be running the "prototype" to Evans in Sunday Super's January issue #3. Interesting choice for that --also I didn't know Evans *had* a prototype manga.

Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
This anime looks promising.
I do not read the series and I hope this anime is good.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Soukyuu no Ariadne and Marry Grave if you want two fresh action adventure series that both have completely different vibes to them, you might as well try these while they're fresh(they both have under 6 chapters).

Hoankan Evans no Uso ~Dead or Love~ - Fun romcom set in the Wild West, it has action to it as well, so there you go, Aipom described it above as well.

BIRDMEN - Really awesome action series that is pretty underrated, the author is very talented and she likes to take the story in an interesting direction and she does a great job at making fun lively characters, a lot of mystery in the air.

Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san - Super comfy slice of life, Aipom described it in better detail above.

Maoujou de Oyasumi - Fun comedy revolving monsters in dungeons(a big castle) and sleeping, the main character is incredibly adorable and her personality makes the comedy great.

Souboutei Kowasubeshi - Action packed blood-pumping 90's inspired series, if you like bad-ass stuff from the 90's, then this will be enjoyable for you.

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai - Really funny romantic comedy series where the mc is quite something else.

I kept it as short as possible, hopefully something peeks your interest.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue #9 TOC

Major 2nd by Mitsuya Takeda (Cover/Lead Color, Chapter 124)
Komi-san wa Komyushou desu by Tomohito Oda (Chapter 121)
Sokyuu no Ariadne by Norihiro Yagi (Chapter 6)
Dagashikashi by KOTOYAMA (Chapter 175)
Marry Grave by Hidenori Yamaji (Chapter 5/ Color page)
Amano Megumi wa Suki darake! by Nekoguchi (Chapter 107)
Daiku no Hatou by Michiteru Kusaba (Chapter 36)
Maoujo de Oyasumi by Kagiji Kumanomata (Chapter 84)
Tantei Xeno to nanatsu satsujin misshitsu Story by Kyouichi Nanatsuki/Art by Teppei Sugiyama (Chapter 7)
Shinobi no by Rokuro Ogaki (Chapter 26)
Hoankan Evans no Uso ~Dead or Love~ by Mizuki Kuriyama (Chapter 38)
Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san by Aiko Koyama (Chapter 52)
Tenshi & Akuto!! By Aya Hirakawa (Chapter 149)
Souboutei Kowasubeshi by Kazuhiro Fujita (Chapter 86)
Hatsukoi Zombie by Ryou Minenami (Chapter 109)
Aozakura daigakkou monogatari by Hikaru Nikaido (Chapter 75)
K.O.I King of Idol by Tamaki Wakaki (Chapter 31)
Yuugami-kun ni wa tomodachi ga inai by Jun Sakurai (Chapter 66)
Zettai Karen Children by Takashi Shiina (Chapter 493)
Meteor Girl by Reach Ishiyama (Chapter 34/End)
Youkai Giga by Satsuki Satou
Tokaichi Hitoribocchi nouen by Yuuji Yokoyama (Chapter 7)

Ryoko and Conan are (still) on indefinite hiatus, and Be Blues is out until issue #11.

In issue #10, Tenshi and Akuto gets a lead color for it's 150th chapter, Dagashikashi gets a color page for it's anime's airing, "The Showman" runs in weekly Sunday as part of a special serial, (So I guess this is a thing now to fill pages.) And Birdmen is in for it's monthly chapter.

At the end of Meteor Girl, it says Ishiyama is preparing a new work, so I guess this was a trial run, and they're coming back eventually.

Oh, I just saw this, but apparently they'll be running the "prototype" to Evans in Sunday Super's January issue #3. Interesting choice for that --also I didn't know Evans *had* a prototype manga.
I'm glad to see Tenshi getting lead color next issue. The authors of Meteor Girl and Quadrable must've seen this coming quite a ways off since both are already working on new works. But what's going on with Daiku? Did its most recent volume actually start selling units, or is this the most generous countdown to a sendoff I've seen in awhile? It has spent most of its time plastered near the bottom with Quadrable and Meteor Girl, but now it has been really high up in the TOC.

Mr.Fujimaster

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'll give you some suggestions, but fair warning, the majority of these will be romcoms and comedies. But since you like Komi, I'm assuming at least one or two of these will work for you. Here's what I read in addition to Komi-san:

Amano Megumi wa Suki darake!
- An ecchi romcom. Really slow progress relationship-wise, but I enjoy the gags. The series has gotten better over time, the newest characters introduced seem promising, and my least favorite character from the beginning (the teacher) has basically been nowhere to be found for the last 50 or so chapters. Caught up in English

Tenshi & Akuto!!
- A comedy with light romantic undertones (growing as the series progresses). It's about voice acting; a pompous guy with a girly voice and a girl who's a few years younger than him that's already a professional. There's also a large supporting cast of supporting characters who are also great. An underrated, under-read series in English. Unfortunately, only 16 chapters are in English right now, but the translation is not dead (a chapter was just released a couple days ago). Translations are into the 40s if you can read Spanish.

Hoankan Evans no Uso ~Dead or Love~
- A romcom. Set in the old West, it's full of some nice gags. The setting and adult characters are also refreshing to see. The chapters are only about 10 pages each, so this one wouldn't take as long to catch up on. Caught up in English

Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san
- A slice-of-life with light comedy. This one is truly special. Another shorter page count series, it manages to accomplish so much, and frequently with very little dialogue. You end up rooting for every character, but especially the main girl. She's always optimistic and positive, and it is infectious for both those around her and the readers. Basically caught up to present in English.

Maoujou de Oyasumi
- A comedy. A nice fantasy setting with unique monster characters. A captured princess wants to sleep comfortably in her new whereabouts and will do anything to make that a reality. The series got better for me as more characters were introduced over time. Translations are about halfway to current Japanese chapter (40-something out of 80-something I believe)

Dagashi Kashi
- A comedy with light, occasional romantic undertones. You get to learn a lot about Japanese candy and snacks in a pretty unique way. The girls are super cute, and the "action" scenes (without spoiling any) are really funny. Translations are a bit over halfway to present Japanese chapter (100-something out 170-something). The translator on 4chan has also been doing translations for the most recent chapters along with the chronological order, but I recommend waiting for the translations to catch up naturally.

Marry Grave
- A new comedy/action/tragic romance series. A man has to go around gathering items for a recipe that'll bring his deceased wife back from the dead. The artwork is phenomenal, the expressions vibrant, and the panels convey an amazing sense of movement. Translations caught up in English

Hatsukoi Zombie
- A romcom. A guy gets the ability to see all males' "first love zombies," and then deals with various peoples' issues, including his own. His own personal love zombie, Eve, makes this series worth reading in my opinion. Watching her grow and become more human has been endearing. I've simplified the love zombie concept and major characters quite a bit to avoid spoilers, but it's pretty good. Sometimes gets a bit too dramatic for my taste. English translations almost caught up (90-ish out of almost 110; looks like the group doing it needs a new translator)

King of Idol (KOI)
- A gender-bender comedy. A boy wants to become an idol (for reasons I will not reveal due to spoilers), but must go disguised as a girl to get into the best idol training school. He meets other girls and hijinks ensue. It has been decent so far; I'm willing to learn more about the world the author is developing. English translations it seems have stalled out for the time being (about 10 out of 30 translated)

Soukyuu no Ariadne - A new adventure series. A boy wants to travel and learn more about the world, and he ends up doing so with a princess from another land with a similar goal. It's not usually the type of thing I read, but it has been decent so far. I like fantasy vibes, so I'm curious to see what it'll introduce. English translations caught up to present.
Soukyuu no Ariadne and Marry Grave if you want two fresh action adventure series that both have completely different vibes to them, you might as well try these while they're fresh(they both have under 6 chapters).

Hoankan Evans no Uso ~Dead or Love~ - Fun romcom set in the Wild West, it has action to it as well, so there you go, Aipom described it above as well.

BIRDMEN - Really awesome action series that is pretty underrated, the author is very talented and she likes to take the story in an interesting direction and she does a great job at making fun lively characters, a lot of mystery in the air.

Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san - Super comfy slice of life, Aipom described it in better detail above.

Maoujou de Oyasumi - Fun comedy revolving monsters in dungeons(a big castle) and sleeping, the main character is incredibly adorable and her personality makes the comedy great.

Souboutei Kowasubeshi - Action packed blood-pumping 90's inspired series, if you like bad-ass stuff from the 90's, then this will be enjoyable for you.

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai - Really funny romantic comedy series where the mc is quite something else.

I kept it as short as possible, hopefully something peeks your interest.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm interested in Hoankan Evans, Souboutei, Hatsukoi Zombie and Soukyuu no Ariadne.

I had forgotten the existence of Dagashi Kashi, I saw the anime in 2016 and I really enjoyed it.
I'll try to watch the new season and the manga.
I did not know that Marry Grave was from Sunday.
I read this manga on a Brazilian scan and did not know where it was being published.
I'm glad Sunday has a very promising manga like Marry Grave on hand.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm interested in Hoankan Evans, Souboutei, Hatsukoi Zombie and Soukyuu no Ariadne.

I had forgotten the existence of Dagashi Kashi, I saw the anime in 2016 and I really enjoyed it.
I'll try to watch the new season and the manga.
I did not know that Marry Grave was from Sunday.
I read this manga on a Brazilian scan and did not know where it was being published.
I'm glad Sunday has a very promising manga like Marry Grave on hand.
I'm glad you found some stuff that interests you! Out of all the magazines, WSS actually has the most that I read and actively follow. It's a shame that many of the series go by unnoticed since its annual circulation is so much lower than WSJ and WSM. WSS has a lot of promising romcoms, comedies, and SOL series, but it is clearly looking to find another hit adventure/action series with its most recent serialization round as evidence.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Does anyone know what happened to Arata Kangatari? I heard there were some big issues with the editor and author for it, but is it cancelled, just wondering since it was successful I assume since it got an anime.

Also, I think I read somewhere that Sunday had a new Editor in Chief or something since like 2016, what do you guys think of him, has he been doing a good job? A lot of succesful new series started since he took the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.