Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021) | Page 104 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Komi-san, wa Komyushou desu?

• Amazing

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aipom626

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You're right. Generally it looks like Shinobino will start to be a bottom dweller like it was the last week and Aozakura after 2 years should obviously do a lot better. It's not that I particularly want them to end but the hierarchy is strange here sometimes, I get that some moves are just temporary to try to boost something but there's no way in hell that Hatou will sell and it feels unfair compared to Quadrable and Meteor Girl that it still lives or even for Marry Grave that sold better but it looks like EiC could toss it before Hatou. Even if something could do great on questionnaires there should be a minimum they do on market.
I talked about it when it came to Hatsukoi but lower position in toc should be actually a motivation for an author to try to gain new audience, to move, with how safe Zombie is it stalled and got worse in my opinion over time, in a way that can be said about Amano too but it sells pretty nicely sooooo also it's fair to say that we knew it'll be like that from the start compared to Hatsukoi that kinda gave a lot, lot different feeling at the beginning.

Mag needs to get more, at least, moderately popular series because it will be unbalanced with how cancellation will work. We'll see how new series will do next week, just 6 days more and it should be clear.
I feel the same way. Their new placement of Daiku just makes no sense to me from any business standpoint. It's not even that I dislike the story (I don't really mind it either way), but getting sales results that bad every time should have some sort of negative result. It just seems odd to see series selling many times better than it, especially a juggernaut like Komi, below it.

I do agree with you about Hatsukoi, but I feel like Amano has been hitting a stride lately. The last handful of chapters have been really good, and I've been enjoying the new characters that they have been introducing. IMO, that's helping keep it fresh compared to Hatsukoi, which has delved into too much needless drama and feelsy-angst lately for my liking.

Which of the new series are having volume releases soon? It seems like EiC is trying to show faith in Kimi and Cawaii especially.

kengai

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Which of the new series are having volume releases soon? It seems like EiC is trying to show faith in Kimi and Cawaii especially.
Kimi wa 008, Tonikaku Cawaii, and Memesis. You can find all Shonen Sunday Comics releases for this month here.

All releases next month
12/6: Shiteibôryoku Shôjo Shiomi-chan, Seigi no Mikata no Tsukurikata, Tochinoki Nodoka no Idol-nichijô, Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san

15/6: Kakakuri Circus, Ghost Sweeper Mikami

18/6: Aozakura, Amano Megumi, Komi-san, Saike, Shinobi no, The Showman, Hatsukoi Zombie, Major 2nd

I really hope that Shinobi no will do better this time around. The old man deserves more love.

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kimi wa 008, Tonikaku Cawaii, and Memesis. You can find all Shonen Sunday Comics releases for this month here.

All releases next month
12/6: Shiteibôryoku Shôjo Shiomi-chan, Seigi no Mikata no Tsukurikata, Tochinoki Nodoka no Idol-nichijô, Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san

15/6: Kakakuri Circus, Ghost Sweeper Mikami

18/6: Aozakura, Amano Megumi, Komi-san, Saike, Shinobi no, The Showman, Hatsukoi Zombie, Major 2nd

I really hope that Shinobi no will do better this time around. The old man deserves more love.
Thanks for the link. I wonder if we'll see any growth for Evans, or if KOI will experience another decline in sales. KOI has had a couple of declines, but there are still a handful of things selling worse or the same as it for it to be in immediate danger

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's the ToC placement if new series I enjoy that makes me lose faith in manga. I can't get heartbroken again.... Evans, Marry Grave

kengai

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Thanks for the link. I wonder if we'll see any growth for Evans, or if KOI will experience another decline in sales. KOI has had a couple of declines, but there are still a handful of things selling worse or the same as it for it to be in immediate danger
It would be nice if Evans' sales improved.

I'm pleased to see that my favourite horribly awful vampire manga from Webry is getting a French translation. They really translate everything, including this manga which Shogakukan didn't even bother to release (e)books for anything after volume 2. I wonder what they are going to use as cover art for volumes 3+.
Edit: I was wrong, it's not digital only. There are actually print versions of volumes 1&2.

Last edited:

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I feel the same way. Their new placement of Daiku just makes no sense to me from any business standpoint. It's not even that I dislike the story (I don't really mind it either way), but getting sales results that bad every time should have some sort of negative result. It just seems odd to see series selling many times better than it, especially a juggernaut like Komi, below it.

I do agree with you about Hatsukoi, but I feel like Amano has been hitting a stride lately. The last handful of chapters have been really good, and I've been enjoying the new characters that they have been introducing. IMO, that's helping keep it fresh compared to Hatsukoi, which has delved into too much needless drama and feelsy-angst lately for my liking.

That's good to hear about Amano. It took time but if something is finally happening than I'm happy cause it's a lovely ecchi manga.

I said that my hate towards never-moving plot in Hatsukoi is starting to rage. One thing happens at the end of the chapter for it to be completely negated in the next chapter. Where's the fun from the start?

As @kengai said Kawai, 008 and Memesis are released and I'm really sure that Tonikawa (I like this short name) will have good score, I believe that 008 too but it's not as obvious and Memesis... Who knows, I feel like it should do better than Xeno and Marry but that's just my guess from online reception.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Silver Spoon coming back is great news. I really want to see the end of that story. Also if Arakawa is able to do at least 10-12 weeks in a row, it can release a new volume as well, the sales of which Sunday desperately needs right now.

But looking at the TOC, Marry Grave's position hurts me. I know its not selling well, or maybe selling at all considering the POS estimate was less than 2000 copies, but like I said before, the story has heart. I've actually cooled down to Evans now. I feel like its starting to stretch its premise.

Conan however continues to be a huge force though. The latest issue of Animedia sold out in a day thanks to Amuro and its having its second ever reprint. Its interesting to see a character introduced in Vol 75 become such a huge phenomenon.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's good to hear about Amano. It took time but if something is finally happening than I'm happy cause it's a lovely ecchi manga.

I said that my hate towards never-moving plot in Hatsukoi is starting to rage. One thing happens at the end of the chapter for it to be completely negated in the next chapter. Where's the fun from the start?

As @kengai said Kawai, 008 and Memesis are released and I'm really sure that Tonikawa (I like this short name) will have good score, I believe that 008 too but it's not as obvious and Memesis... Who knows, I feel like it should do better than Xeno and Marry but that's just my guess from online reception.
I'm hoping Cawaii will sell better than Ad Astra. I wasn't sure how I felt about the first couple chapters, but it started to win me back over pretty quickly. The fourth wall breaks are pretty great, and the mixture of marriage, mystery and misunderstanding seems to have struck an optimum balance. Kimi's main appeal seems to be its ecchi element, so I can't guess how much it'll sell. Probably at least somewhat decently due to the author alone. Memesis is a total coin toss. I thought Marry Grave would do better than Xeno for sure, and although neither one did very well, I was wrong about which one would sell more.
Silver Spoon coming back is great news. I really want to see the end of that story. Also if Arakawa is able to do at least 10-12 weeks in a row, it can release a new volume as well, the sales of which Sunday desperately needs right now.

But looking at the TOC, Marry Grave's position hurts me. I know its not selling well, or maybe selling at all considering the POS estimate was less than 2000 copies, but like I said before, the story has heart. I've actually cooled down to Evans now. I feel like its starting to stretch its premise.

Conan however continues to be a huge force though. The latest issue of Animedia sold out in a day thanks to Amuro and its having its second ever reprint. Its interesting to see a character introduced in Vol 75 become such a huge phenomenon.
I've actually been enjoying the mini-arcs that Evans has been putting together lately. As for Marry Grave, I thought it was really well-done, but that doesn't seem to be the general consensus among Japanese readers. It's still selling more than Daiku and approximately the same as Xeno and Shinobino I believe. Plus, I'm not sure what the first volume sales are going to look like for the newest batch of series. Does anyone know what the general consensus among Japanese readers has been for the newest batch of series: Switch, Magia and Gopun?

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I'm hoping Cawaii will sell better than Ad Astra. I wasn't sure how I felt about the first couple chapters, but it started to win me back over pretty quickly. The fourth wall breaks are pretty great, and the mixture of marriage, mystery and misunderstanding seems to have struck an optimum balance. Kimi's main appeal seems to be its ecchi element, so I can't guess how much it'll sell. Probably at least somewhat decently due to the author alone. Memesis is a total coin toss. I thought Marry Grave would do better than Xeno for sure, and although neither one did very well, I was wrong about which one would sell more.

I've actually been enjoying the mini-arcs that Evans has been putting together lately. As for Marry Grave, I thought it was really well-done, but that doesn't seem to be the general consensus among Japanese readers. It's still selling more than Daiku and approximately the same as Xeno and Shinobino I believe. Plus, I'm not sure what the first volume sales are going to look like for the newest batch of series. Does anyone know what the general consensus among Japanese readers has been for the newest batch of series: Switch, Magia and Gopun?
I had to do a double take at Daiku's sales. Is the story that niche or is there simply no advertisement for it?

Regarding the new series, Gopun was something of a spectacle on the Japanese web, due almost entirely to the shock value of that massacre. I haven't seen too many people talk about it after that first chapter but I don't think it'll sell that well. Chrono Magia has the video game behind it, with the app being at #1 momentarily so it might do fine. I can't find much regarding switch however. Still, to see a major shonen magazine have so many series selling less than 10k is borderline mind-boggling. Sure there is the digital influence but a lot of those series don't particularly do well on digital manga rankings.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had to do a double take at Daiku's sales. Is the story that niche or is there simply no advertisement for it?

Regarding the new series, Gopun was something of a spectacle on the Japanese web, due almost entirely to the shock value of that massacre. I haven't seen too many people talk about it after that first chapter but I don't think it'll sell that well. Chrono Magia has the video game behind it, with the app being at #1 momentarily so it might do fine. I can't find much regarding switch however. Still, to see a major shonen magazine have so many series selling less than 10k is borderline mind-boggling. Sure there is the digital influence but a lot of those series don't particularly do well on digital manga rankings.
I'd say the plot is niche, but unless it has captured 100% of the most obscure niche market ever, I'm not sure why it's still going and getting better TOC placement than ever. Chrono Magia may sell well because kids may recognize it, but the other 2 really don't strike me as stuff that'll sell well at all. I'm thinking Marry Grave may manage to outsell both of them.

kengai

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Chrono Magia can still use the old trick of including an in-game code with its release. The manga could be the worst story ever written, but it would still sell.

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time I've seen Sunday do something with a youtuber. Magazine does do stuff with YouTubers as well but that's usually promoting manga or doing content for them. This is just the editor for Gopun/Ariadne/Evans/Switch/Hitoribocchi Nouen and Seigitai/Naisho no Kyoko ne-san in Webry playing MK8D with the youtuber.
Pretty interesting.

genesic123

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
The Donger has risen again!

KOI has bounced up in ranks lol.It helps that Wakaki Tamiki had finally pulled his head out of his rear end and gave the character arcs the story need .I think its too late though.Sunday as a whole is garbage,not being dead last doesnt mean much in a sea of filth.

That evill buddha manga needs an anime to shock viewers to work.So Is sunday willing to do it?In manga form, it might as well be axed.

Evans.Wow how the mighty have fallen.Its obvious why.The manga is too slice of life for its own good.Where are the epic gunfights?I think people have got bored of it.But the Japanese have a trashy taste of anime and manga,so theres that as well.

Marry Grave failing is a tradegy .Especially when zero effort,lazy, slice of life manga in sunday are selling better.

Last edited:

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
WSS #25
Cover - Tonikaku Cawaii

Tonikaku Cawaii Color Spread

If you are like me and was wondering why the color spread seems familiar
That is because it is almost identical to the first 1.

Last edited:

Tymano

Reaction score
Country
United States
That evill buddha manga needs an anime to shock viewers to work.So Is sunday willing to do it?In manga form, it might as well be axed.
I think what Gopun needs right now is to build more on what the heck is going on. I think the beginning shock factor was good, but it really needs to do more besides just shock factor to have it grow. Considering it's by Fukuda, I'm sure the series will both live a while, and also be able to build up on its beginning.

Evans.Wow how the mighty have fallen.Its obvious why.The manga is too slice of life for its own good.Where are the epic gunfights?I think people have got bored of it.But the Japanese have a trashy taste of anime and manga,so theres that as well.
I always thought Evans was always a sol first, a western second. And besides, the sol is really fun, and can honestly carry the series on its own, even without the occasional gunfight or two to add a little more.

Marry Grave failing is a tradegy .Especially when zero effort,lazy, slice of life manga in sunday are selling better.
While I hate the idea of Marry Grave going, calling the sol's in Sunday right now "zero effort" or "lazy" is just insulting, especially considering how great Yugami, Tonikaku, Komi, Maoujou, and Evans are. Sunday's name was created to evoke a "relaxing weekend" and the sol's fit that theme very well.

WSS #25
Cover - Tonikaku Cawaii

Tonikaku Cawaii Color Spread

If you are like me and was wondering why the color spread seems familiar
That is because it is almost identical to the first 1.
I like the differences between the two wedding dresses from the color spreads, it shows that Hata at least went to some effort to draw different spreads.

I also can't get over how the English name of the title is "Fly me to the moon."

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue#25

Ah, I forgot not everyone follows me on twitter so maybe people missed the announcement that this would be late. Well I guess since it's not like anyone asked it's fine. A pretty fluffy issue (in a good way), almost as if everything was written around some sorta theme, tbh. Anyway it's almost the time again for new volumes and that's probably going to be far more exciting and worrying, but you can't spell "funeral" without "fun" so Let's get to it next week.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I didn't think much of it based on the first chapter but Kimi wa 008 is actually a really fun read. There isn't as much in-your-face fanservice like with later Kenichi and the MC, while being a standard shounen manga MC, is also quite interesting. The heroine, Kido, while similar to Miu, still is different enough to be interesting. I don't know how well this may do in the first week as its a 3-day first week but hopefully it breaks 10-15k.

Rheia

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kindle generally has the worst quality because they compress pretty much everything.

Ebookjapan is recommended but they are limited to the image quality Sunday provides, which is mediocre but not the worst.
In terms of price, getting the long-term subscription directly from Sunday Webry and paying through the Play Store or iTunes is probably the cheapest.
Thanks, I am giving EBookJapan a shot, though I renewed my subscription for the paper version while I decide if I will stick to it or not. So far, being restricted to their app, and the enjoyment of flipping through a real book are major strikes against it, but not having to wait at least a week (often longer because I did not always have time to go to the store to pick it up) to read it are certainly a plus.

008 kind of lost me when they stuck the class on an island. I kind of think I could buy their situation a bit better if they had at least had one real class that would have taught them some of the fundamentals before basically throwing them into another test.
Tonikaku on the other hand I have been finding more interesting lately. Introducing Tsukasa's "sister" seemed to move the story along a lot faster then it started. I also liked how Tsukasa's room suggests that her interest in Nasa might be partially based on her own interest in NASA. With the subtitle the story kind of is reminding me of the plot of Oedo Rocket. With his trademark and everything it would be interesting if Nasa helps Tsukasa make it to space.

This week, with Mary Grave doing a name drop like that I am concerned that the story might have been cancelled and we are heading towards an ending. Of course it could also be just moving it into a longer storyline if it has been given the green light to continue through the year. Unfortunately the general Japanese reaction I read for the manga was people complaining that the art looked old fashioned, and that the protagonist is not an active enough player in his own story.

CallMeTsuyu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Really? Marry Graves' artstyle is considered old-fashioned? I kind of like, and it doesn't really look "old-fashioned" to me, but maybe that's because I haven't read enough older manga to notice. Also, what do they mean by "not an active player?" I'm a fair deal behind on Marry Grave, so I'm not sure what's going on in the story at the moment. Still, like always, Japan's criticisms have me scratching my head.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Not really sure what this is

Status
Not open for further replies.