Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Champion (2016 - 2021) | Page 59 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Champion (2016 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue16

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Rororro! #6

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rororro! #6
I find Rororro’s position kind of weird, since... well, the author’s more known for Boku no Kokoro at this point. XD That manga used to run in this magazine but moved after 5 chapters, apparently. Probably for the best.

Mute Girl color pages:

Man, this and Meika-san are gonna sell.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I love it that Champion just pick whatever popular on Twitter and serialize them.

Ihore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shabaou 1

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oricon Ranking Top 50 (February 3 - February 9)
NEW RELEASES: FEBRUARY 8 (3 DAYS)
33. Yowamushi Pedal Volume 65 | 29,668 copies

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
color page (apparently this chapter's a Valentine's Day Special? If so, then I'm very pleased.):

Shoseki 2/13: Yowamushi 65 at #41, Atsumare at #445, SHY out of Top 500
I fully expect SHY to return tomorrow, and maybe even get like above 400. xD I'm really sad that it couldn't stay on for the week this volume. We'll get there eventually!

Ihore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku cast announcement

All announcement coming out before the magazine announces them...

Blue Rock

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Okay, so if I may ask...

I've been working on my Iruma-kun table. However, when I got to Volume 13, I realized that the first week ranked 48th in the Shoseki charts, meaning that it'll show up on Oricon for that week. However, I have absolutely no way of accessing the Oricon numbers to get a better sense of the data, so I'm not sure as to what to do.
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
v10 - 2019/04 - 13,959 (07)
v13 - 2019/10 - 16,237 (06)
v15 - 2020/01 - 34,385 (05)

About where to find Oricon Top 50 lists

https://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/
-You can find oricon top 50 lists in the comment section

https://animetics.net/weekly-manga-sales-charts/
-This site has lists for 2016 and before. This is a collection of lists from myanimelist.

http://medaka.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ymag/1474441441
-If japanese isn't a problem and you don't want to search the comment section to find a particular list.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
v10 - 2019/04 - 13,959 (07)
v13 - 2019/10 - 16,237 (06)
v15 - 2020/01 - 34,385 (05)

About where to find Oricon Top 50 lists

https://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/
-You can find oricon top 50 lists in the comment section

https://animetics.net/weekly-manga-sales-charts/
-This site has lists for 2016 and before. This is a collection of lists from myanimelist.

http://medaka.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ymag/1474441441
-If japanese isn't a problem and you don't want to search the comment section to find a particular list.
Holy shit, thank you so much. I'm sorry I deleted my comment, I thought I was being a bit too intrusive by asking that. But thank you!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Okay, so I've finished compiling all of Iruma-kun's sales data!

The following is a spreadsheet that details the cumulative sales of first 5 weeks of Iruma-kun's volumes, followed by overall sales. I wanted to make this sheet so that I can quantify just how much of an effect the anime is having over the manga volumes, as well as somewhat track the general growth of the series. This is part of a greater Champion spreadsheet I'm working on, so this won't be the only series I do this for, but calculating estimates of backlog numbers is...something, alright. I was careful about this, but I may be totally wrong on even these estimates, so if you find any inconsistencies, lemme know, and either I'll explain myself or do my best to fix it. All decimals were rounded accordingly.

So, without further ado, here it is:

Suffice to say, the anime's having what I think is a pretty huge effect. I think it's well on it's way to becoming quite possibly the highest-selling manga currently running in the magazine (per volume, obviously). Seeing the sales and print count jump up is both really satisfying to see and well-deserved, in my opinion! We're still in "boost mode", as I like to call it, but I'm curious to see what'll happen after the anime ends, in addition to seeing Volume 16's sales as well as just how far our boy can go. As such, I will keep updating this every week, making sure to do sales estimates for all manga volumes until the week they leave the Top 500.

If you have any further questions, please ask! Hopefully I did this right... ^^'

Blink22

Reaction score
Country
United States
Give Iruma the Kimetsu phenom boost please, I’m on my knees 🙏

Ihore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iruma-kun boost is not massive but its a sizeable, its honestly a massive turn around for a series that was middling for a long while before it really took off.

Tokage-chan is actually went on sale on the 17th to match WSM sale day for the shogi series by the same author -
Not the first time this happens - Furutto also got released on the same days as Tengoku (also kondasha)

There is new series by Heriyama on the way in April.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shousetsuhon Darwin's Game - Flag Game
Baku-kun
Suiyou Dou Deshou
Tsukiji Saikyou Sushi Densetsu - Nigiri no Umitarou
I keep forgetting that all of these series are actually around since I never see the raws posted in the usual spots. Has anyone here read any of them and/or have any opinions on if they think any of these series will last or they'll become bottom-dwellers?

Ihore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep forgetting that all of these series are actually around since I never see the raws posted in the usual spots. Has anyone here read any of them and/or have any opinions on if they think any of these series will last or they'll become bottom-dwellers?
Flag game is probably not here for the long run i believe and it only takes a few pages either way. Suiyou is probably the same since its a collab project.

Tsukiji feels very old school, i dont mind its a comedy yankee series with sushi in the middle not bad but idk how it will do, i have seem people in jp places i look at praise it - its first volume is set for april. Baku kun similar this yankee comedy series, wait and see for it.

Rain Spectre

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Flag game is probably not here for the long run i believe and it only takes a few pages either way. Suiyou is probably the same since its a collab project.

Tsukiji feels very old school, i dont mind its a comedy yankee series with sushi in the middle not bad but idk how it will do, i have seem people in jp places i look at praise it - its first volume is set for april. Baku kun similar this yankee comedy series, wait and see for it.
Can you specify what those "places" are?

In general, that is kinda how Champion functions. It's an odd mix of extremely new manga designed for the current climate with throwbacks to the older days.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Goddamit.
It's always "climate" or "current era". It's annoying and monotonous as hell, Rain.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I read Do Chokkyuu from start to finish this time. Honestly, it's really fantastic.

Seeing Shinichi and Mako loudly barrel through misunderstandings and romcom tropes with their misunderstandings was really fun to read. It's the opposite of Kaguya, as where in that manga, Kaguya and Shirogane are smart high-schoolers who love each other but deliberately get around confessing their feelings through mind games cause they want the other to confess first, this manga has dumb high-schoolers that aren't afraid to say what they think at all (and loudly at that). As a result, this manga goes to places I've barely ever seen in any romance manga by chapter 20, and it's honestly a really hilarious ride all the way. Though the comedy and some of the characters may not be everyone's cup of tea, I found myself frequently laughing each chapter. It helps that the manga's got a pretty damn hilariously over-the-top supporting cast, for the most part. The cliche-breaking, trope-twisting pace and progression and humor is what makes this manga really good for me.

What makes this manga really great for me, however, is that, in my layman opinion, this is honestly one of the healthiest couples I've ever read in a manga. Much of this is due to Shinichi's actions concerning his relationship with Mako. For a dimwit such as himself, he can be surprisingly responsible. When she first confesses, he rejects her - not because he doesn't like her, as he's made clear to others before - but because he doesn't know much about her and so wants to be friends so he can get to know her. He wants to make sure they're compatible first, which they are. Once they fall in love and become a couple, he puts his all into the relationship because he really cares for her, and is proud of it as someone like he can be. And he helps Mako take more pride in their relationship as well. Both of them make sure to communicate with each other about their problems, in addition to making sure that they don't want to do anything that their partner won't be comfortable with, especially when it comes to sex. Chapters 20-21 are surprisingly informative, in addition to just being the best chapters of the manga, as it made me really love our duo of idiots as a couple.

Granted, it's not perfect. My biggest worry with this manga is that it might run out of steam: I'm hoping that the main couple don't just become this punchline for sex because they're more than that - sex is just one aspect of their relationship. I liked the Christmas omake more than the Halloween omake for that reason. I hope the author's used her time spent trying to find a new publisher to come up with sone new arcs for Mako and Shinichi to explore as a couple. It's harder to write characters as a couple but I want to see them go through various trials and come put stronger because of it. Or she can focus on the dynamic between the new side couple featuring Mako's sister which, while more traditional, makes a very nice contrast to the main couple and is also progressing well. There's a lot that she can do, with this second chance, but ultimately, I don't want this manga to overstay it's welcome. I've really loved it so far and I'm excited to see it return next month.

I hope the MangaCross version doesn't change things too much. I'm fine with it expanding on some chapters and showing more sides to our characters, just as long as it more or less remains the same. The author made changes to Chapters 16 and 17, which I honestly think help make the manga flow better, since the mention of sex in the former, while hilarious, doesn't flow right. I really hope that Chapters 20 and 21 remain the same or expanded, though.

This is really long (i have a habit of writing more than I expect) and I apologize for that.

On a related note, finally...
...after a whole year of waiting...
I present to you, the elusive
Do Chokkyuu Kareshi x Kanojo #4

No HQ cover yet, but it finally exists.

Last edited:

Ihore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you specify what those "places" are?

In general, that is kinda how Champion functions. It's an odd mix of extremely new manga designed for the current climate with throwbacks to the older days.
I probably should have specified from the beginning - twitter, 2ch and those sorta of places.

Houkago Teibou Nisshi Anime PV

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States

All 15 volumes of Iruma are now back in the Top 500 (they were since yesterday). So are all 19 Darwin's Game volumes.
Atsumare fell out today, and SHY hasn't been seen since it originally fell off.
Yowamushi Pedal might rank on Oricon.
I'm not sure if SHY will rank on Shoseki's Top 500 this week. I hope it does, with only 3 days.

Apparnetly a lot of new manga came out, which temporarily pushed everything down. Weekly charts should be tomorrow, and then after that, I get to see how Do Chokkyuu performs.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Shoseki Ranking Top 500 (February 10 - February 16)
NEW RELEASES: FEBRUARY 7 (10 DAYS)
28. Yowamushi Pedal Volume 65 | See Oricon ranking for results.
234. Atsumare! Fushigi Kenkyu-bu Volume 8 | 3,858 copies, total 9,615
436. SHY Volume 2 | 2,338 copies, total 4,662

OLDER RELEASES: JANUARY 8 (40 DAYS)
182. Mairimashita! Iruma-kun Volume 15 | 5,020 copies, total 75,966
358. BEASTARS Volume 17 | 2,710 copies, total 87,183

BACKLOGS
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
297. Iruma-kun Volume 7 --- 3,039 copies
301. Iruma-kun Volume 14 -- 2,995 copies
307. Iruma-kun Volume 8
308. Iruma-kun Volume 9
317. Iruma-kun Volume 5
322. Iruma-kun Volume 1
325. Iruma-kun Volume 10
327. Iruma-kun Volume 6
330. Iruma-kun Volume 13 -- 2,850 copies
339. Iruma-kun Volume 12 -- 2,805 copies
354. Iruma-kun Volume 11
363. Iruma-kun Volume 2
371. Iruma-kun Volume 4
378. Iruma-kun Volume 3 --- 2,610 copies

Darwin's Game
292. Darwin's Game Volume 19 --- 3,325 copies
318. Darwin's Game Volume 6
328. Darwin's Game Volume 7
335. Darwin's Game Volume 5
346. Darwin's Game Volume 8
352. Darwin's Game Volume 9
365. Darwin's Game Volume 10
379. Darwin's Game Volume 11
380. Darwin's Game Volume 4
386. Darwin's Game Volume 18
392. Darwin's Game Volume 12
400. Darwin's Game Volume 13
404. Darwin's Game Volume 1
416. Darwin's Game Volume 14
422. Darwin's Game Volume 15
425. Darwin's Game Volume 17
428. Darwin's Game Volume 16
429. Darwin's Game Volume 2
445. Darwin's Game Volume 3 ---- 2,298 copies

30位29700/50位17300/100位8300/200位4300/300位3000/400位2500/500位2050

SOURCE:

NOTES:
- Hey, SHY charted for another week! The series is stable and will most likely stay in the magazine for the forseeable future! I need to catch up to it.
- I wonder if Atsumare's sales have been declining. Seems par for the course for a veteran mangaka, honestly. Still, it overtakes Rokudou's latest volume this week. Both of these need anime, Iruma-kun's benefitted greatly from it.
- Iruma-kun backlogs are as stable as ever. I'm especially curious to see what they're gonna be like after the anime ends - the more recent volumes are slowly creeping up to Beastars' latest total. On a less positive note, I hope that the anime gets a second season (so I can binge the first without worry), or if not, we at least get an official English version soon. At this point, it'd be more convenient. The manga's a mess right now, and it has nothing to do with the manga and everything to do with the Edited Manga situation.
- I wonder how well the Darwin's Game anime is doing. I don't think it did much for it's sales, honestly. It was already quite popular when it was being serialized. Need to catch up to that, it's been enjoyable!
- This week, Do Chokkyuu releases, and it'll have 4 days of sales. Can't wait to see how that does. It's come a long way.

raikou

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
So I read Do Chokkyuu from start to finish this time. Honestly, it's really fantastic.

Seeing Shinichi and Mako loudly barrel through misunderstandings and romcom tropes with their misunderstandings was really fun to read. It's the opposite of Kaguya, as where in that manga, Kaguya and Shirogane are smart high-schoolers who love each other but deliberately get around confessing their feelings through mind games cause they want the other to confess first, this manga has dumb high-schoolers that aren't afraid to say what they think at all (and loudly at that). As a result, this manga goes to places I've barely ever seen in any romance manga by chapter 20, and it's honestly a really hilarious ride all the way. Though the comedy and some of the characters may not be everyone's cup of tea, I found myself frequently laughing each chapter. It helps that the manga's got a pretty damn hilariously over-the-top supporting cast, for the most part. The cliche-breaking, trope-twisting pace and progression and humor is what makes this manga really good for me.

What makes this manga really great for me, however, is that, in my layman opinion, this is honestly one of the healthiest couples I've ever read in a manga. Much of this is due to Shinichi's actions concerning his relationship with Mako. For a dimwit such as himself, he can be surprisingly responsible. When she first confesses, he rejects her - not because he doesn't like her, as he's made clear to others before - but because he doesn't know much about her and so wants to be friends so he can get to know her. He wants to make sure they're compatible first, which they are. Once they fall in love and become a couple, he puts his all into the relationship because he really cares for her, and is proud of it as someone like he can be. And he helps Mako take more pride in their relationship as well. Both of them make sure to communicate with each other about their problems, in addition to making sure that they don't want to do anything that their partner won't be comfortable with, especially when it comes to sex. Chapters 20-21 are surprisingly informative, in addition to just being the best chapters of the manga, as it made me really love our duo of idiots as a couple.

Granted, it's not perfect. My biggest worry with this manga is that it might run out of steam: I'm hoping that the main couple don't just become this punchline for sex because they're more than that - sex is just one aspect of their relationship. I liked the Christmas omake more than the Halloween omake for that reason. I hope the author's used her time spent trying to find a new publisher to come up with sone new arcs for Mako and Shinichi to explore as a couple. It's harder to write characters as a couple but I want to see them go through various trials and come put stronger because of it. Or she can focus on the dynamic between the new side couple featuring Mako's sister which, while more traditional, makes a very nice contrast to the main couple and is also progressing well. There's a lot that she can do, with this second chance, but ultimately, I don't want this manga to overstay it's welcome. I've really loved it so far and I'm excited to see it return next month.

I hope the MangaCross version doesn't change things too much. I'm fine with it expanding on some chapters and showing more sides to our characters, just as long as it more or less remains the same. The author made changes to Chapters 16 and 17, which I honestly think help make the manga flow better, since the mention of sex in the former, while hilarious, doesn't flow right. I really hope that Chapters 20 and 21 remain the same or expanded, though.

This is really long (i have a habit of writing more than I expect) and I apologize for that.
Because of what you wrote, I read all of available do-chokkyu, and I must say it's a very good read. I laughed a lot. I like this kind of romance.

I'm interested how the manga would go now, I think it will feature more side couple.

Sometimes the main couple tired me out with how they are always yelled full energy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.