Voting Round 1 - Tetsuo Shima vs. Sephiroth | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 Tetsuo Shima vs. Sephiroth

Who wins?

• Tetsuo Shima

• Sephiroth

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Battle Phase
  • You are allowed to vote for one champion.
  • After 3 days, the champion with the most votes will proceed into the next round.
  • In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it.
  • There will be no additional restrictions. A character will have access to all of his/her abilities according to the lore.

Sachsenhesse

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Sword to the heart!
And who is to blame?
You gave Cloud a sissyname.

going with sephiroth here, any objections?

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It's probably worth noting that if you've only seen the Akira movie and not read the manga then you've only seen a miniscule (almost inconsequential) portion of Tetsuo's power and abilities

The film only covers the first part of the manga and shows Tetsuo in a state where he has very little control over his powers

Tetsuo is a character that can:
  • survive in an absolute vacuum
  • teleport instantly to the moon - then effortlessly wreck it, just to prove a point
  • read minds
  • control and, more importantly, react to things moving at the speed of light
  • generate forcefields
  • create artificial body parts out of machines/fuse with machines or, regenerate lost limbs (Akira, not Tetsuo, has shown the ability to reconstruct himself from his component parts - and although it wasn't shown in the manga [so is pure conjecture], Tetsuo, by the end, is far closer to Akira's powers, than he was in the film)
  • create brand new universes/induce a new big bang/destroy the current universe (though, it could be argued he didn't intentionally risk that)
he's an incredibly strong telepath - who controls the power of the universe itself (as in: the power of everything)
the only character stronger in the manga [Akira] is Akira himself - and it's arguable that this is only due to the degree of control over their powers (they are both using the same 'force', in the end - and both have the potential to break the laws of physics)

Now, it's not mentioned for Tetsuo - but Akira has certainly moved past the being constrained by the laws of physics

People have a tendency to underestimate Tetsuo, purely because they've only been witness to a much reduced and far less in control Tetsuo (as shown in the movie) - a character that needs to use medication to maintain control, is easily hurt when he loses it, and ends up almost destroying everything when he does so

Tetsuo from the Akira manga series is a whole 'nother beast

Nothing that Sephiroth did in FF7 came close to the level of what Tetsuo was capable of, as far as I'm concerned

Forgot to mention that he can also displayed feats of becoming incorporeal/intangible (think he also displayed something slightly similar in the film, though I can't really remember)
:invalid

Last edited:

cracker

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's probably worth noting that if you've only seen the Akira movie and not read the manga then you've only seen a miniscule (almost inconsequential) portion of Tetsuo's power and abilities

The film only covers the first part of the manga and shows Tetsuo in a state where he has very little control over his powers

Tetsuo is a character that can:
  • survive in an absolute vacuum
  • teleport instantly to the moon - then effortlessly wreck it, just to prove a point
  • read minds
  • control and, more importantly, react to things moving at the speed of light
  • generate forcefields
  • create artificial body parts out of machines/fuse with machines or, regenerate lost limbs (Akira, not Tetsuo, has shown the ability to reconstruct himself from his component parts - and although it wasn't shown in the manga [so is pure conjecture], Tetsuo, by the end, is far closer to Akira's powers, than he was in the film)
  • create brand new universes/induce a new big bang/destroy the current universe (though, it could be argued he didn't intentionally risk that)
he's an incredibly strong telepath - who controls the power of the universe itself (as in: the power of everything)
the only character stronger in the manga [Akira] is Akira himself - and it's arguable that this is only due to the degree of control over their powers (they are both using the same 'force', in the end - and both have the potential to break the laws of physics)

Now, it's not mentioned for Tetsuo - but Akira has certainly moved past the being constrained by the laws of physics

People have a tendency to underestimate Tetsuo, purely because they've only been witness to a much reduced and far less in control Tetsuo (as shown in the movie) - a character that needs to use medication to maintain control, is easily hurt when he loses it, and ends up almost destroying everything when he does so

Tetsuo from the Akira manga series is a whole 'nother beast

Nothing that Sephiroth did in FF7 came close to the level of what Tetsuo was capable of, as far as I'm concerned

Forgot to mention that he can also displayed feats of becoming incorporeal/intangible (think he also displayed something slightly similar in the film, though I can't really remember)
It's pretty hard to top powers on a universal scale (that's so ridiculous btw, I hate stuff like this). How do you fight people like this?

"Hey you....my reality warping is greater than yours so you lose."
"Nah- huh, it's not. I'm tots stronger."

Dafuq, smdh.

LadyVados

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
Tetsuo at his peak would be too much for Sephiroth...

at least for now

If he returns in KH4 then things can change...

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Tetsuo in the manga end was far stronger and he became an abstract being.

So he wins this.

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Tetsuo in the manga end was far stronger and he became an abstract being.

So he wins this.
I read Akira, but I don't remember this.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
I read Akira, but I don't remember this.
He was absorbed by Akira right and a new universe was created so yeah he became a concept.

At least that's what I interpreted.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yup. Manga Tetsuo takes this easy. Sephirot is impressive on his own, but the scale of telepathy/kinesis of end game Tetsuo is something else.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know. I distinctly remember having to sit through this obnoxiously long attack special attack animation.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yeah, as Uste said - 'Something else'

Tetsuo's powers don't take an 'obnoxiously long' time to do anything (or, in the case of that Sepiroth's Super Nova attack - very little at all)

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, as Uste said - 'Something else'

Tetsuo's powers don't take an 'obnoxiously long' time to do anything (or, in the case of that Sepiroth's Super Nova attack - very little at all)
Can he defend against an unskippalbe cut scene that keeps playing over and over until you beg for death? I feel like Tetsuo lacks the mental stability to hold up that.:hmm

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Can he defend against an unskippalbe cut scene that keeps playing over and over until you beg for death? I feel like Tetsuo lacks the mental stability to hold up that.:hmm
Hmm... I wonder
Not once in the manga do I recall him ever being faced with such a challenge

I guess, he could try to trap Seperoth (and his attack animation) in an alternative dimension (though, again, he didn't ever have to resort to this kind of strategy in the manga...)

Or, perhaps, just destroy him before he has a chance to start the attack

One thing that Tetsuo does have in his favour is that Final Fantasy characters do love to wait for their opponents to attack, before attacking themselves

They're very honourable like that (stupid, but honourable) - always making sure to take their turns in order, with very little [if any] jumping the queue (I don't recall Tetsuo ever being that polite)
:hmm

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sure he'd WANT to skip it. But it's unskippable. I know because I mashed the circle button like 40 thousand times. I say he makes it like 40 mins and then offs himself.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Well, if he can't kill Sepiroth during the first gap following his obnoxiously time-consuming attack, Tetsuo can always find other ways to

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
He dies of overdose then because Sephiroth has multiple forms and like 500k HP along with those attack animations. With a max damage of 9999, as I recall. So you're not killing him in under an hour and half. That's just not happening.

No way Tetsuo's sanity, if you can even call it that, holds up through a classic JRPG boss fight.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And I think there was some kind of HP scaling too so the stronger he is the more of a grind Sephiroth becomes.

Reactions: z.5
Status
Not open for further replies.