Semifinal - Acnologia vs. Selene | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Acnologia vs. Selene

Who wins?

• Acnologia (Human Form)

• Selene (Human Form)

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

Voting Rules:
  • This Battle is a 1 vs 1.
  • You may vote for one character in this fight.
  • So you voted early and someone/something changed your mind? You can use the 'Change Vote' option to choose again.
Voting and Discussion ends: September 4th, 2022

CharactersInfo and limitations
AcnologiaIn human form
SeleneIn human form

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
Acnologia wins. Should be pretty straight I would think.

Human Selene is mostly a caster type mage, her physical stats reflect her tier only in dragon form.
Human Selene's physical stats are quite mediocre for her tier, from everything we have seen so far.

Acnologia is the worst matchup for caster types, because he has high magic resistance and can eat them for power up.

Acnologia wins low-mid diff, due to matchup.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain

Human Selene is mostly a caster type mage, her physical stats reflect her tier only in dragon form.
Human Selene's physical stats are quite mediocre for her tier, from everything we have seen so far.

Acnologia is the worst matchup for caster types, because he has high magic resistance and can eat them for power up.

I agree on the analysis for considering them on the same tier.

But I personally still don't even believe these guys are really on Acno's level from the beginning. Low diff is the best I can give here.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
oh still not believing they are on acno level. interesting :hmm

Zelefomavis

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France

Yes, 100%.

However, if Mashima wrote the fight, wouldn't Selene gut Acnologia with her hand and reveal she was a physical powerhouse the whole time and that was her way to bring the most distorsion/chaos lmao ?

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
No one is on the level of a serious Acno as of now. Even if they were on his level magic power and stat wise, his DoM ability gives him the a massive edge over everyone else. He basically negs any type of magic and that means they have to fight him with just stats alone. Magic + physical attacks >>> physical attacks ergo Acno >>> DGs. He wins this mid diff at worst. The dude could literally eat any of their attacks to replenish his magic or gain theirs and then throw back attacks they can't eat. Acno is literally the most broken character in FT and he could only be beaten by plot lol.

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
No one is on the level of a serious Acno as of now. Even if they were on his level magic power and stat wise, his DoM ability gives him the a massive edge over everyone else. He basically negs any type of magic and that means they have to fight him with just stats alone. Magic + physical attacks >>> physical attacks ergo Acno >>> DGs. He wins this mid diff at worst. The dude could literally eat any of their attacks to replenish his magic or gain theirs and then throw back attacks they can't eat. Acno is literally the most broken character in FT and he could only be beaten by plot lol.
This isn't really true.
Because we have seen Igneel vs Acno, and Igneel pushed Acno to a high-extreme diff.

IMO the narrative implies that Igneel was at this full power, for the duration of the battle (that was the entire point of coming to the future). Since Igneel had no soul, soul steal hax couldn't be used on him either.

Ignia is basically being treated as Igneel 2.0, maybe even slightly stronger. And by scaling to Ignia, we can scale the DGs to Igneel as well.

If you restrict soul steal hax, any DG can push Acno to a high-extreme diff. You just need the physical stats to compete with him. Yes, magic don't work on him, but you can use magic attacks to cancel out his magic attacks too (i.e magic can still be effective defensively).

On Topic:
Selene loses low-mid diff, cause her human form doesn't have much physical stats going on for her. But if their dragon forms fight, Selene can definitely push Acno to a high diff.

Yes, 100%.

However, if Mashima wrote the fight, wouldn't Selene gut Acnologia with her hand and reveal she was a physical powerhouse the whole time and that was her way to bring the most distorsion/chaos lmao ?
At this point, Mashima could make happy one shot the next DG and I wouldn't be surprised. The dude has lost all credibility as a writer for me.

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
This isn't really true.
Because we have seen Igneel vs Acno, and Igneel pushed Acno to a high-extreme diff.

IMO the narrative implies that Igneel was at this full power, for the duration of the battle (that was the entire point of coming to the future). Since Igneel had no soul, soul steal hax couldn't be used on him either.

Ignia is basically being treated as Igneel 2.0, maybe even slightly stronger. And by scaling to Ignia, we can scale the DGs to Igneel as well.

If you restrict soul steal hax, any DG can push Acno to a high-extreme diff. You just need the physical stats to compete with him. Yes, magic don't work on him, but you can use magic attacks to cancel out his magic attacks too (i.e magic can still be effective defensively).

On Topic:
Selene loses low-mid diff, cause her human form doesn't have much physical stats going on for her. But if their dragon forms fight, Selene can definitely push Acno to a high diff.

At this point, Mashima could make happy one shot the next DG and I wouldn't be surprised. The dude has lost all credibility as a writer for me.
That's bcs Acno didn't take that version of Igneel serious and let's be honest, he wasn't the Dragon of Magic at the time of that fight. Mashima buffed him as that later on and Acno already roasted all 5 parent dragons without a scratch. He was then stated later by Zeref to not go all out and we know how mindset affects stats in FT. Acno also implied Igneel was weaker than the one he previously fought while Igneel noted he was stronger than he thought lol. Acno then progressively gets stronger up until the RoT boost after that. So I really don't see Igneel on serious Acno's level either. He hasn't been actually forced to use full power against anyone in the series.

Soul steal is negible as everyone has resistance to that magic. You'd have to have them unconscious or extreme weakened to take a character's soul as shown in the Franmelth battle.

I doubt it. Without their magic attacks then they are at a clear disadvantage. Acno has both hax and direct magic attacks and they won't have a source to replenish their magic like Acno would. Their stats being on his level would only mean they can engage him in direct combat, but it would be futile since he can do physical attacks as well as magic attacks against them.

I don't see them on Acno's level since his DoM ability gives him far too big of a edge over the DGs and other god tiers.

Orphan Prince

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I've always believed that Acnologia was overall stronger than the DG's, but Selene in particular is a bad matchup for him. In order to take on Acnologia you need very strong physical stats due to his very high magical resistance or downright immunity to actually push him, and Selene seems like more of a caster type mage in her Human Form with weaker physical stats which will not help her here at all nor will her hax.

Acno low-mid diffs Selene.

LadyVados

Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
This Base Acno or God Acno ?

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've always believed that Acnologia was overall stronger than the DG's, but Selene in particular is a bad matchup for him. In order to take on Acnologia you need very strong physical stats due to his very high magical resistance or downright immunity to actually push him, and Selene seems like more of a caster type mage in her Human Form with weaker physical stats which will not help her here at all nor will her hax.

Acno low-mid diffs Selene.
Can't agree with this. We saw Selene doing better in a physical battle than a magical battle against Ignia. So while she has hax, I see her physicals being up to par of the the other DGs.

LadyVados

Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
If it’s God Acno he wins. If it’s normal Acno Selene wins via hax.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Can't agree with this. We saw Selene doing better in a physical battle than a magical battle against Ignia. So while she has hax, I see her physicals being up to par of the the other DGs.
I think that can be argued for her dragon form but not for her human form.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

If it’s God Acno he wins. If it’s normal Acno Selene wins via hax.
What hax does she have on him? Acno has a big hax on her.

LadyVados

Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
What hax does she have on him? Acno has a big hax on her.
She has all that low-level reality-warping type stuff she can do with her moon magic like making the moon bigger and teleporting people around.

Can’t she just BFR him to another dimension ?

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
She has all low-level reality-warping type stuff she can do with her magic.

Can’t she just BFR him to another dimension ?
BFR isn't allowed in the tournament as far as I know, but not that it would be that easy or she would have done that to Ignia.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Or to Drogwhatever his name is, for that matter. Would solve the current fight instantly.

Orphan Prince

Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
She has all low-level reality-warping type stuff she can do with her magic.
How does that help her against Acno though? At best that'd really just be a distraction to him or something that he'd praise her on, but that's about it.

LadyVados

Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
How does that help her against Acno though? At best that'd really just be a distraction to him or something that he'd praise her on, but that's about it.
With equal raw power. It might be enough to make the difference.