Seinen - Kokou no Hito by Nabeta Yoshio & Sakamoto Shinichi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Kokou no Hito by Nabeta Yoshio & Sakamoto Shinichi

Akiyama

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Kokou no Hito by Nabeta Yoshio & Sakamoto Shinichi
Genre: Drama, Slice of Life, Adventure
Serialized: Weekly Young Jump
Summary and Preview:
On his first day of transferring to a new high school, a loner named Mori Buntarou, is cajoled by a classmate into climbing the school building. Despite knowing that one misstep could send him spiraling to his death, he moves foward, and upon finally reaching the top, Mori experiences a sense of fulfillment. That feeling, which seems to be telling him, " You're alive!" gives birth to an adrenaline for rock-climbing. Based on the novel by Nitta Jirou.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
This sounds like it could turn into a really fun series. I've never seen a manga about rockclimbing but I'm excited for it to (hopefully) get scanned.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: [New] Kokou no Hito by Nabeta Yoshio & Sakamoto Shinichi

Stickied as new. May not be newly published but is newly translated.

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

So yeah, I bought this series and liked it so I'm gonna translate it and scan it.
Hope someone scanlates it well.
The covers are cool, and the story is certainly interesting. And it's not too straightforward either. It's about isolation and things of that nature, so it has some psychological standpoints for the main characters along with the cool drawings, other characters stuff.
It's not action-based in other words.

It's uh... 10 volumes long at the moment. I only own up to 9 but I've got plenty of time to buy the 10th one later. And maybe if I actually get that far and it's still going the magazine'd get scanned. Not that I plan to rush to the end, really. I just thought it'd be interesting to do a manga from the beginning that looked interesting that hadn't been done at all.

Last edited:

Laika

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

Scan more! First vol was pretty cool. Climbing portion of it is more interesting to me than the psych portion though... lol.

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

My plan is to scan them as I translate them. Scanning a 220 page volume takes a really long time, and I'm not debinding them so I've gotta then crop them into pages and white out the shadows and level them afterwards, so it's an all day project. Plus I've got a ton of other projects I've got to spend my time on ATM.

But I'll get to it. Definitely.

bellcrossage

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Impressive series. I never knew how interesting a story about mountain climbing could be. Thanks, kewl0210.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

Really enjoying the series so far. As of chapter 11, I'm wondering if there is anything that old man can say that will get Mori to stop trying to climb solo, at least while he is still new to the sport. Though, honestly, I want him to climb solo regardless, but I also want him to compete with other climbers. So he needs to join a team while secretly going solo.

Uruner

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland

=^^= funny how my finding and reading this manga coincided with me picking up climbing as a hobby =^^= .... trough since i still am novice at it info from this manga proven to be useful - the basics like reaaaaaaly tight fitting shoes =^^= ... by using normal shoes i just couldn't properly use my toes while at it ...

Either way... this manga is quite something =^^= to be soo detiled.... trough one thing that struck me is that when novice starts climbing ... after several walls ... strenght of your grip in your hands just dissapears so suddenly that you even cant hold a bottle of water... let alone get back to climbing right away.... so it struck me impossible for main charachter to be climbing until his hands were bleeding soo much... he wouldn't have strengh to catch the stones enough times for them to start bleeding

maxikki

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

=^^= funny how my finding and reading this manga coincided with me picking up climbing as a hobby =^^= .... trough since i still am novice at it info from this manga proven to be useful - the basics like reaaaaaaly tight fitting shoes =^^= ... by using normal shoes i just couldn't properly use my toes while at it ...

Either way... this manga is quite something =^^= to be soo detiled.... trough one thing that struck me is that when novice starts climbing ... after several walls ... strenght of your grip in your hands just dissapears so suddenly that you even cant hold a bottle of water... let alone get back to climbing right away.... so it struck me impossible for main charachter to be climbing until his hands were bleeding soo much... he wouldn't have strengh to catch the stones enough times for them to start bleeding
it depends on the amount of adrenaline the body has. when u push the body, u wont feel a thing while u are moving but after u stop completely, then ur body will be completely sore. anyone knows where i could find volumes 6-9??

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thought I'd try to revive this topic a bit.

I'm on volume 6 now so I'll be scanning raws as I get through them and you can read the rest.
Right now there are 11 volumes out and volume 12 comes out in September. In Young Jump they're on about chapter 130 now. I'm gonna try getting an online subscription to import Young Jump, it's just really expensive to get over a long time. Plus they tend to arrive a few days after the street date doing it that way.

Hope people are enjoying this. Though to be fair, I started doing it just for myself.
Bakana Haven stopped for whatever reason and OMGG Scans is doing it now. Very well in fact. Here's their site:
http://www.omfggscans.com/
Ya can get older chapters at the groups' site or at mangatraders or whatever.

Heiji does post the color pics in Young Jump though, which I only recently realized go pretty far back (all the way to 2006 for practically every manga magazine!) if you check his thread in Ritual Scan Forge.
Here's a link to the last couple. YJ usually gives a color page whenever a new volume of something comes out. There aren't any spoilers:

Last edited:

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I absolutely love this manga. Thanks so much for translating it kewl0210. The art in this manga is amazing and even though there was a slight lull in the story for a while, the writing is incredible right now. I can't wait for chapter 103. I check OMFGG Scans website every day. I really wish this manga was licensed in English. I would buy every volume. It is a must read in my opinion.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The first cover posted in the opening post caught me already, and the first chapter even increased that. Definitly going to spend a while on it, looks and reads really great.
At chapter 10 now: Hara Keito seems to be a potentially amazing side character :D

On a small sidenote: I just looked up the quotation at the end of vol. 3 by Wolfgang Güllich. What an ironical fate: A sports climber dying by the age of 32, but not in climbing but in a car accident.
Does anyone know something about the authors? They seem to have a lot of knowledge about the climbing scene, I cannot imagine them to just invent all that stuff their characters talk about.

Personally I'm super bad with climbing, got weak hands :( Even more interesting to read a story about it though.

Last edited:

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Chapters 107 and 108 are out thanks to OMFGG Scans. I think they may have put two chapter up by mistake like they have done before. Or they are just making up for missed days. Either way, I won't complain :)

Miyamoto is a piece of **** liar and a thief. I hope Mori finds him and kicks his ***. Takemura got played too by that skank Yumi. Now Mori doesn't trust anyone anymore and he is probably going to revert back to being a loner. I'm guessing that college girl that Mori has run into once before will play a role in restoring Mori's trust for humanity. Hopefully she becomes his girlfriend and gives him the kind of happiness that can only be obtained by companionship.
I thought this page was pretty cool:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm at chapter 80 now, this story is super awesome.
Great storytelling. The time jumps really losen up the story, I think this is a much better format then just telling it by chronology - it's well done, so it's not confusing with just a little focus while reading. Talking about the story of the K2 preperation mountain traversal here.
The whole story is packed with breathtaking double spreads and great shots, both in portraits as well as in environmental images.
The protagonist is really interesting, and the story rather deep.

I'm in love with this manga, absolutely worth reading.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm at chapter 80 now, this story is super awesome.
Great storytelling. The time jumps really losen up the story, I think this is a much better format then just telling it by chronology - it's well done, so it's not confusing with just a little focus while reading. Talking about the story of the K2 preperation mountain traversal here.
The whole story is packed with breathtaking double spreads and great shots, both in portraits as well as in environmental images.
The protagonist is really interesting, and the story rather deep.

I'm in love with this manga, absolutely worth reading.
Wow. You are reading really fast. I'm so glad you like it. I can't wait until you catch up to the current chapters so we can discuss current events. :)

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Just caught up with Ch. 108, so sad to have read through (the released parts) of such a great manga, now the waiting begins :(

That was an interesting come back of those two. And Mori is so incredibly honorable, rather spending his own money than to call and tell that it got stolen :blink
I wonder how "Mori vs. Society" is going to continue and what will happen with that student girl with glasses. That will certainly become interesting :)

Also, perhaps you know:
How much money was stolen? When the professor gave him the envelope, he says it was 300,000 Yen. But when it was stolen, someone said something about 1,000,000 Yen, and Mori said he had 800k on his bank account which he had to fully spend. I'm a little confused here. (Though it seems it was 1 million, why else should he have to struggle hard with 800,000 else...)
And, do you have any idea if that plane crash of ch. 108 is related to any previously appearing character? Shibata Hideki rings a bell... (I'm so bad with remembering names -.-)

Kokou no Hito was a great read overall (overall sounds so diminishing, rather: In every aspect). Interesting protagonist (as well as side characters), great plot and storytelling (especially storytelling), big drama and amazing arts. Also, seemingly a huge effort on mountain climbing insider knowledge. I'm really looking forwards for further chapters.

Last edited:

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Just caught up with Ch. 108, so sad to have read through (the released parts) of such a great manga, now the waiting begins :(
The wait shouldn't be too bad. OMFGG Scans has been releasing chapters at a pretty good pace since they picked up this series at chapter 23.

That was an interesting come back of those two. And Mori is so incredibly honorable, rather spending his own money than to call and tell that it got stolen :blink
I wonder how "Mori vs. Society" is going to continue and what will happen with that student girl with glasses. That will certainly become interesting :)
I was a little bummed to hear Mori say he couldn't trust anyone anymore. I feel like he has grown so much and it is a real shame for him to revert back to his old self. I have a feeling that college girl will play a role in restoring his faith in humanity/society.

Also, perhaps you know:
How much money was stolen? When the professor gave him the envelope, he says it was 300,000 Yen. But when it was stolen, someone said something about 1,000,000 Yen, and Mori said he had 800k on his bank account which he had to fully spend. I'm a little confused here. (Though it seems it was 1 million, why else should he have to struggle hard with 800,000 else...)
And, do you have any idea if that plane crash of ch. 108 is related to any previously appearing character? Shibata Hideki rings a bell... (I'm so bad with remembering names -.-)
I don't remember the amount of money the professor gave him, but maybe the 300,000 yen was for something else, like a job prior to this one. If it is a mistake, the exact amount of money probably isn't the important thing anyway. It is just the trigger for Mori's regression and future development. About the plane crash, I am not sure what is going on there. I don't remember that name(I am really bad with Japanese names). Is that the rich guy that Mori used to climb for? It could be his plane. Maybe Mori will find a survivor or something and carry him/her down the mountain.

Kokou no Hito was a great read overall (overall sounds so diminishing, rather: In every aspect). Interesting protagonist (as well as side characters), great plot and storytelling (especially storytelling), big drama and amazing arts. Also, seemingly a huge effort on mountain climbing insider knowledge. I'm really looking forwards for further chapters.
I'm really glad you like it. I hope more people discover this wonderful manga and join us in our discussion.

What did you think of Chapter 106 where Takemura is presumably drugged and the art gets all crazy? Also, what are your thoughts on some of the symbolism utilized in the art? Most of the time, I am not smart enough to figure out what it is suppose to mean/represent, but I am still glad it is there because it makes you think.

Do you remember when Mori and his team where training for K2 in the Japanese Alps and there was a blurred "streak" across the panel on this page and this page? I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that was and what it was suppose to mean, but kewl0210 and others at another forum explained to me that it is a skull:
I'm told that it is meant to be a memento mori, which means "remember your mortality". It is a technique known as anamorphic perspective and was supposedly popular among Baroque painters. Check out this painting called The Ambassadors for reference:

I think it is so very interesting that the mangaka would include something like this.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah the precise amount of money isn't that important after all, but it's good to have a scaling imo. It's a huge difference after all and Mori doesn't earn that much (or at least didn't do until so far).
That thing about Mori saying that he couldn't trust anyone anymore indeed was shocking for his developement. Yet I can't believe that he really ment it 100% seriously. At least to his employer/professor he seemed to have a very good relationship, and we even saw him smiling a couple of times in the latest parts. I hope for your idea too that that student girl will give him some confidence again.
I really wondered about that streak, too! Nice to know what it is after all, I thought "wtf, flying rock?". Kinda chose to ignore that without lookint at it further, what a mistake.

Ch. 106 was weird indeed, but I liked it :D
Very symbolic about the relation to women, imo the chapter was very well done though. It was easy to follow even though it was so abstract.

I think the symbolism and images he sometimes throw in often serve the purpose of symbolizing the feeling of a mountain track in a way "townsfolk" can understand. When Mori was climbing that japanese mountain and steadily thinking of K2 for example ("Now I would have to dodge an avalanche!"), he was shown standing on a broad street surrounded by big cars and trucks for a few pages, with a truck heading right at Mori. Probably to give us an idea of the extreme force, fear and noise and stuff of an avalanche heading right your way when you're trying to climb.
Obviously there is deeper symbolism than that, but I just remembered this one first. Such comparison of mountains to cities occurs a few times in the manga.
I also liked the scene when Mori saw that woman who tried to make a move on him as a praying mantis. Probably shows both his disgust and fear (a huge ugly bug and his fear of females - after all the female mantis is known to eat her sex partners)
Yet, after all it can be a little difficult to keep track of different timelines and symbolic scenes thrown in. Sometimes we are at two or three timelines at once and then get a symbolic scenes like that on this street inserted :oh

Sometimes I think I read such manga too fast. I'm a focussed reader (no music or stuff) so I can usually keep track quite well, but sometimes I just think "damn are you stupid? How couldn't you notice that earlier?" to myself. The irony of that 32 yr old doctor for example, who dies on the northern alps when running into the avalanche. If I got it right, he had hallucinations of his dead friend's father chasing him, who on the other hand chased him to get more information about his son's death - leading to the only one knowing what happend living in paranoia and dying of it. (Or his mental condition was the cause of that accident to begin with, but I think there's no hint on that)
Was he even a doctor or do I just hallucinate that? I think he was shown in a brief flashback as a doctor who seemed kind of sociophobic (rather playing on a handheld than bothering with patients). I hope I can find that chapter again, I don't remember it very well.

All that stuff revolving around Mori's teammates was really nice imo. I wonder if we might see that old co-leader guy again, he might've survived, right? I really liked Ch. 81/82, "Niimi Taku's Lonelines" and "Nighthawk". Pretty poetic almost, and nicely done. Niimi was a cool character.
(had great panels: -1 -2 -3 -4 -5)

What I also noticed is that Kokou no Hito often shows sequences of pictures which follow the structure of the mind, how people think or how their eyes move and what they observe.
An example for latter case: Ch. 100
The confusing/chaotic stuff I mean with "like people think" seems to be mainly incorporated in the structure of storytelling. When there are several timelines at once plus those dream/imagination/symbolic scenes in between - that's pretty much showing Mori's mind from the inside I think. After all, thoughts are poorly structured and can be quite chaotic.

On a small side note: Damn, I feel personally insulted :D After I read the last chapter, some stupid side tried to give me advice what manga could be similar... "Category: Drama. One Piece"
What a comparison, Shonen li la lollypop world against this type of depressing and dark serious drama :XD

Last edited:

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, after marathoning translating this series once again, I got volume 13 done in under 24 hours. Now... I'm on to issue scans. Woo... If you wanna keep up with the story as I translate it, I always posted the high-res volume raws I scanned in the first chapter of each volume.

Glad to see some people here are discussing it here, too. I took it upon myself to scan and translate this manga because I loved it when I read it.
I usually remember everything I translate, but I don't recall where they were talking about money amounts. Mori lost the money that was given to him to cover expenses at the top of Mount Fuji at the weather station. The money is his bank account wasn't affected because he had his wallet on him, however that was only 800,000. He was so ashamed of what happened he didn't tell anyone and just went on like it hadn't happened. Using his own money and wages to make up for it, to the point where he got drastically underweight. I dunno how much has been covered in what's scanlated though. If there's somewhere that's not consistent I could double-check the raws. I know in one of those chapters I wrote "after college graduation" instead of "after high school graduation".

Also, the effects of what happened with Takemura in 106 don't become clear until the last few chapters that came out in YJ.

I did an explanation of Kunieda's story here I think people found clear:
Here's a quick explanation of Kunieda:
His character was kind of like, a side character who didn't gain much attention until the end. He almost never spoke except when they were discussing who stole Kase's wallet, and he said "there was no reason to look through people's bags". And he seemed to be obsessed with sex.

His backstory is this:
His real name is Murata. He is also a doctor and went to a medical college with a person named Tooru who became his best friend and he used to play video games with. (We see this in the beginning of Volume 6 I think)
Some years prior to the current story and the Northern Alps Traversal, he pushed his best friend Tooru and a girl named Eriko off a knife ridge (A really thin ridge that's like the width of a balance beam.) which killed them both. It seems that he thought his best friend and the girl Eriko were having a love affair behind his back and "making fun of him". He had fallen in love with Eriko and apparantly he became paranoid and obsessed with the fact that they had betrayed him or something of that air, and that the people he trusted the most, he couldn't trust anymore.

After this event, Murata was plagued with guilt over what he'd done. But still, he ran away from his crime and since it took place on a mountain with no witnesses besides him, the police had no evidence to make an arrest. However, it would seem he really did do it, and Kiriya, the old man who was Tooru's father, went after him to try to get him to tell the truth and find out what really happened to his son.
In order to escape the old man, Kiriya, Murata changed his identity multiple times and changed addresses. He supposedly had been ambushed by him at some point, with the guy waiting at his apartment. Kiriya never gave up and kept trying to find him, almost catching him several times, supposedly.

This made Murata start to get psychotic. And even though he was considered one of the best climbers in the country somehow, he was plagued by guilt and the idea that he would get caught. He also tried to rationalize it to himself saying "well it was their fault for doing that to me, that jackass and that slut". He was running away from his crime and his past, basically. It got so bad that at some point he started hallucinating that Kiriya was following him on the mountain. Niimi figures this out with the few phrases Kunieda said about it right before he died, and how it said "Murata" on stuff in his bag (We see this in some chapter. It's written in romaji originally anyhow, so someone might spot it.) He asked Mori not to tell anyone because Kunieda/Murata really was a good guy, just couldn't confess to what he'd done and it seemed he'd done it on impulse in a fit of jealous rage. He even always kept a photo of him, Tooru, and Eriko in his bag and kept it dear to him, never letting anyone look in his bag on the chance they'd see it. Kiriya, seeing Murata died in the newspaper article, came to Mori to try to get information. Mori respected Niimi and Murata's wishes by saying he didn't know anything, though actually Niimi had told him and he did know. Kiriya leaves basically with just seeing the picture, implying that Murata missed his friends and was sorry, really. Kiriya didn't understand that, though.

Last edited: