Anime - Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011 | Page 22 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Anime Hunter X Hunter Anime- Fall 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguy3331

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I disagree with you.

I found the episode worst by far due to the things that you mentioned and the fact, that these events never took place in the manga. The thing that pains me the most right now, is also the fact that, they left out the Sushi exam for no apparent reasons. I initially thought back then, that it became the 'victim' due to the fast pacing. But now, I'm not so sure anymore. They left it out for something like THIS episode, 10 minutes full of nothing canon!! Madhouse isn't doing a great job with this Anime, when it's about pacing at first, they were fast as hell, that they even skipped story relevant material and now they're slowing things even down, that they need to put some filler in. Where is the consistency?
I partily have to disagree with you. Yes, it wasn't in the manga and I myself pay close attention to whats in the manga or not, but it wasn't horrible. The reason I liked this is because hunter x hunter almost never has calm momments like these and plus it wasn't like they derailed off the original plot which is another reason I don't mind this. Also for the sushi thing, yes I'll admit I was irritated when they cut that part out, but all in all the whole point of that was that the examiner failed them all, they had to do a new exam and then they moved on to the blimp. it never really became inconsitant, because yes it was filler but it didn't derail from anything, there was not gay side adventure, no gay getting along with tompa everything made sense!

hachikurooo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Fantastic episode this week. I usually enjoy the way this adaptation does its characterizations and this version has had me intrigued by Tonpa's character. I know he's a minor character, and a very annoying one at that but for some reason I've sort of developed a strange liking to our novice killer. I'm pleased how this series can handle subtlety pretty well. I'd really have that over the comical acting.

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I'm hoping that the next episode really isn't a filler/recap.
You can hope all you want but preview made it clear it will be a recap-episode which is even worse than filler in 12th episode...

(...)
I found this episode to be the most enjoyable of them all.
The way hunters were shown as also being humans and how 50 hours really felt like 50 hours. instead of rushing it. it even felt like a real trick tower as one in the video games.
If only i didnt know what was about to happen i would've shit bricks when i saw gon killua and kurapika clearing the room. and even then it felt really good. the humour the drama all in one episode. (...)
Since you mentioned shitting, by focusing on such pointless things like staring at the wall (or worse) viewers that are bored by it (before seeing posts here I would say everyone) tend to detach from the story as a result and pay more attention to details. For example, in the room was everything people would need except a toilet. Having to stay for over 50 hours without a chance to take a crap earlier could prove fatal to people that had to stay in such a small room. Forget about having to sniff Tonpa's socks, that would be like daisies compared to the smell of some other 'things' ;P. And that's only one of the problems with that scene. This episode is really as worthless as Isshoni Sleeping and I just can't believe there are people who actually enjoyed it.

Also, I think no one mentioned it but creators of this version ripped the idea of Tonpa and Leorio fighting from old version creators (unless it was Togashi himself who came up with it). Which wouldn't be a bad idea if they didn't try to "improve" that scene and show they have ideas of their own. Particularly the fact that Tonpa used a halberd instead of an axe. Firstly, he's a bit too short for that weapon, secondly it was a stupid choice for a room of that size.

As I've said many times already, this anime is very badly directed (same thing happened with Claymore anime which was also produced by Madhouse studio). At first the pace was too fast and they've cut too much of material (important at that), then they've slowed down and old anime episodes showed more in less time in comparison. Now they've started adding hideous fillers that made me to use skip button for the first time I've been watching new anime. Even people not familiar with the manga will easily recognize that it is filler (contrary to old anime where fillers were actually interesting and fitted well with the rest). This is a disaster.

Host Samurai

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I partily have to disagree with you. Yes, it wasn't in the manga and I myself pay close attention to whats in the manga or not, but it wasn't horrible. The reason I liked this is because hunter x hunter almost never has calm momments like these and plus it wasn't like they derailed off the original plot which is another reason I don't mind this. Also for the sushi thing, yes I'll admit I was irritated when they cut that part out, but all in all the whole point of that was that the examiner failed them all, they had to do a new exam and then they moved on to the blimp. it never really became inconsitant, because yes it was filler but it didn't derail from anything, there was not gay side adventure, no gay getting along with tompa everything made sense!
The Hunter exam is supposed to be extreme and intense, that is also the reason, why there aren't many Hunters in the first place. I have nothing against filler but this was executed badly. They dragged it for 10 minutes, and in the 10 minutes the one who got the most character development was Tompa (lol of all people) and Leorio. Of course it's incosistent, the pacing is. In the earlier episodes, Madhouse made us think, that the Hunter exam will end around episode XY. IIRC someone in this thread posted his prediction, on which episode the Hunter exam will end on, he/she took the pacing into consideration.

@Uriel: LOL I just noticed the monkey's penis in your post. That is ok for Madhouse to show but not a crushed heart inside a bag? :blink

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Looks like the pace is two chapters per episode

By Episode 15 (end of the first box set of the original) We should be on Chapter 30.

By Episode 30 (end of the second box set of the original) we should be on Chapter 60

By Episode 45 (end of the third box set of the original) we should be on Chapter 90

I think it said 45 episodes are guaranteed. But there's likely to be more.

So by Episode 62 (end of the Fourth Box Set and original tv series) we'll be on Chapter 124

By Episode 70 (end of the first OVA) we'll be on Chapter 140

By Episode 78 (end of the 2nd OVA) we'll be on Chapter 156

By Episode 92 (end of the 3rd OVA) we'll be on Chapter 184

Which will include just about everything that's been animated before
But hopefully there will be more and so...

Episode 100 Chapter 200

Episode 125 Chapter 250

Episode 150 Chapter 300

Episode 159 Chapter 318

So 159 episodes at two chapters per episode pace takes us to where the manga is now.
We are now on episode 12 and the corresponding manga chapter is 22, page 18.

thatguy3331

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Hunter exam is supposed to be extreme and intense, that is also the reason, why there aren't many Hunters in the first place. I have nothing against filler but this was executed badly. They dragged it for 10 minutes, and in the 10 minutes the one who got the most character development was Tompa (lol of all people) and Leorio. Of course it's incosistent, the pacing is. In the earlier episodes, Madhouse made us think, that the Hunter exam will end around episode XY. IIRC someone in this thread posted his prediction, on which episode the Hunter exam will end on, he/she took the pacing into consideration.
Ok, thats understandable, also I didn't know you were refering to the pacing, because that is pretty inconsistant. but I still fail to see the 10 minutes of filler be executed badly. We already know all we need to now about our main characters at the time so really it wasn't like they needed any extra development, hence why tompa got his, and even still I hardly find it to be a development rather than just him further expressing his characterization which was what every one else was doing. I agree with the pacing to an extent but still disagree on how the filler was handled.

Popo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
You can hope all you want but preview made it clear it will be a recap-episode which is even worse than filler in 12th episode...
The alternative would be to not show an episode at all. Next Sunday is Christmas--typically, few anime shows are willing to air anything due to the ratings dive. There won't be an episode airing on January 1st for this exact reason. A recap makes sense because of the fact that there are no reruns of the show and Japanese fans being able only to catch the TV broadcast once. Plus, there's always the possibility of people tuning in for the first time, via being up early on Christmas morning.

The 1999 series actually had this exact same problem--if continued weekly, it should have aired on both Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Instead of showing anything or doing a recap, it just didn't air for two weeks. It took another two week hiatus around this time the following year as well, despite not airing on Christmas/New Year.

@Uriel: LOL I just noticed the monkey's penis in your post. That is ok for Madhouse to show but not a crushed heart inside a bag? :blink
Well, keep in mind that the protagonists actually spent 50 hours in a room--it just wasn't shown in the manga. As far as time goes, 50 hours is longer than anything the protagonists' had spent on any task during the Hunter Exam. Though it was slow for viewers to watch, it would have been slower to actually have been in the room.

Nudity and violence are two different ballgames, however. You can see nude animals all of the time during nature shows--it really shouldn't be a big deal.

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
@Popo
The alternative (i.e. a hiatus) is better if only for the fact that you don't have on DVD/Blu-ray disc pointless episodes that only take space and make "real" episodes more expensive. That's why Gintama rocks since there are no fillers in it.

BurnSchulz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I dont like this ANime til no.... because i cannot really fully enjoy it.

I cant turn my brain off saying me "This is wrong!, that is filler!, why did they cut this?, why did they add this? (and so on)" all the time...
I dont really care about the lesser amount of violence and blood, its about the accuracy to the manga.

Since the first episode of the new HxH Anime i always noticed when things where different from the Manga.
I automaticly do, because i somehow expect more or less nearly the same things to happen (in the same order) as in the Manga.

But the Changes are partially so big, that it ruins the storytelling in some way.

I dont want an anime just to have my favorite Manga Characters animated, i want it to see them being "alive". But in this Anime its more like other charecters, and not really the same. - - Dont take this too literally, try to get my feelings.

Well it just dont feel right all the time. All the little changes are disturbing me. And as i said its not about the violence.
How can i say... Its about these Keymoments, that i liked the best in the Manga, are now different, and not so cool anymore.
Well Killua not Smashing the Heart was predictable, what he did instead was still very cool.

But why wasn't there the Sishi Cooking, or the Second (bigger) Storm when Gon was on the Ship (first episode)... The Guy wich walked into Hisoka, why did we saw his Arms fading away in bright dust or something? - In The Manga they just werent there anymore.
You dont even have to explain it with cutting them off, maybe with his camo texture, but what was that?!

I dont want to make this anime bad, i mean there are much things i like very much, like the Character Designs (just the drawings) are closer to the Manga than in the first anime, but my Brain just cant deal with all the little differences wich are partially unnecessary and/or goofy.

I guess that this will get better the More the anime goes into the Story. But the first few Episodes, i would just rate them:
Manga accuracy 1/5 to 3/5 max (depending on wich episode) - (some little changes just ruin my expectations).
Animation itself would be always 4/5 up to 5/5.
Char Design also 5/5
Overall merely 2/5 til now.

Luckily they later dont have enough stuff to make Filler episodes. Well i just have to wait for later episodes.
I just have to go through this.
Well to be very honest (not that you think something else) i also didnt like the start from the first Anime, but later on it got better and better!
So high hopes here!

shareme

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
@BurnSchulz

Tell me, as I'm very curious why you "feel" that the Madhouse version is so "wrong". What medium did you first known about HxH? Manga or Anime? and if it's the Nippon/old anime, how accurate would you rate it in regards to the manga?

hokageji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, after reading a few posts here, I like the new arc more.

Killua's heart steal was way better in this version. I remember loving it int he old series and so my expectations were high. What made the old series part better is how killua reveals his nails, the new one showed that secret on the zepellin craft before itself. kinda spoiled it

Host Samurai

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, keep in mind that the protagonists actually spent 50 hours in a room--it just wasn't shown in the manga. As far as time goes, 50 hours is longer than anything the protagonists' had spent on any task during the Hunter Exam. Though it was slow for viewers to watch, it would have been slower to actually have been in the room.

Nudity and violence are two different ballgames, however. You can see nude animals all of the time during nature shows--it really shouldn't be a big deal.
I know that myself, that's why I keep repeating myself they could've done it better. IMO the spent hours weren't really necessary to show us in this manner, I mean 10 minutes is just too much. The narrator could've skipped the 50 hours by saying: 'After Gon and his friends, finished to spend their 50 hours they now proceed with the Hunter exam'... This could've been done in a minute but they didn't, instead they have waisted 10 minutes for some unnecessary bullshit.

Last edited:

capricorn

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I actually like the new anime mostly because they did the art justice, but I totally understand your feelings as it regards changing canon content from the manga in the animated interpretation, it really gets under my skin as well.

BurnSchulz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
@BurnSchulz

Tell me, as I'm very curious why you "feel" that the Madhouse version is so "wrong". What medium did you first known about HxH? Manga or Anime? and if it's the Nippon/old anime, how accurate would you rate it in regards to the manga?
First Medium was Manga.
In Germany we once had a Magazine similar to Shonen Jump but released Monthwise not weekly, so after 50 Issues that Magazine broke up because the Manga Issue release was faster than 1 to 3 chapters per month.
It was always one of my favorite Series.

Well i described my feeling during the anime Episodes while i watched them, and that it felt wrong in some way. I guess you deserve a detailed description of why i had theese feelings.
Well for that i have to watch the episodes again. Though you have to give me some time.

lan2cp

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
I think that I speak for all of us when I say that we should all pretend episode 13 never happened. Don't even bother to watch unless you somehow forgot what has happened so far. I ended up watching only the preview of episode 14.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
lol. We all know it was a crap episode, but I was expecting it. After all it's holidays and Manga/Anime doesn't escape that :P

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Of course it does (do I need to point out examples?) - you can always use 1 week break. Unless they won't add this crappy and pointless episode into DVD/Blu-Ray this anime will lose in my eyes even more than it already has. So far creators of this show are cheap bastards and they cut out the important stuff and add stuff that's cheap to animate (like staring into a wall for 10 minutes as seen in a previous episode) to "compensate". That way they won't reach the ant arc sooner than in 50 episodes and will "dilute" the action so that every DVD volume will have one decent episode and no more.

Last edited:

chikkychappy

Reaction score
Of course it does (do I need to point out examples?) - you can always use 1 week break. .
the episode is meh for me but i still think having one makes business sense.

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I didn't say it's not good for business, on the contrary (hence "cheap bastards" comment).

lan2cp

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
lol. We all know it was a crap episode, but I was expecting it. After all it's holidays and Manga/Anime doesn't escape that :P
Very true. Will there be an episode this sunday or will there be a week off because of new years?

Status
Not open for further replies.