Shounen - I"s by Katsura Masakazu | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen I"s by Katsura Masakazu

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland
So i will only give some recent information on everything (inlcuded spoilers):

About manga:
Manga I's was realising from autumn 1997 to spring 2000 year. Author is Masakazu Katsura, who is known for example of DNA2 or Video Girl Al, and who's probably famous about drawind really nice background and usually for doing manga type of romantic with characters, who are doing bad at proving their emotional feeling towards other person. The genre is a typical romantic comedy with mostly appearing with emotional moments and with great art. Manga is about life (but I really mean LIFE) a teenager, Ichitaka Seto. Of kors there are also his friends, but like i said, manga is mostly about this boy's life. Until today there is no anime tv version of the show, only one 2-part OVA (which I don't recomend before reading manga) and really nice, queite new (from 2006) 6-part OVA, which is about main events from manga (butofkors not all).
Story:
The story is about the life of Seto and his peripeteies, mostly this lovly one. It starts with that he is having some magazine, in which there are many pictures of beatiful girls (no, it's not what you think ;p). In one of the pages there are pictures of girlfriend from his class Iori, in which he fall in love with first class of high school. And here is the point of the story. The whole manga is about his love toward that girl. Or maybe firstly I thought like that. Then appears his firiend from childhood, then the mix of his feelings about that who he really loves, the school life, adventures (mostly great are on summer, but not only), some separations, next adventures, new Acquaintances.. and here I mean really close realtions with people, who he don't know very well (for example a boy from his class), or new people which he met. And this whole story is illustrated beatiful ladies and great drawing art, which I will tell later.
Plot:
Plot for first is quite obvious and commonplace. Ot some normal life of japanese teenager and that's all. But maybe that's why this manga so invloves the reader and it's so interesting, that simplicity in plot, story, but for anyody it can also be a minus. But all in all, it's not manga for children, because it show some cutie pictures, and the whole thing is about love of two people, so young readers may not fully understand that.
Characters:
Main character of the story is boy of the name Ichitaka Seto. We see his emotional development, determination to achive his goals, but not all things are that simple and not all he is able to do. One of the funniest things are moments of his dreamns on java, which add quiete piquancy to the manga.
Iori Yoshizuki is a really beatiful girl, who has nice, silent type character. It's not usually to see such girl, which is beautyful and has such nice character, smiles and sense of humor at the same time.
Teratani Yasumasa is the best friend of Seto. He has really high sense of humor, and his perverted character, which is nicely seen in the manga hyhy.
Itsuki Akiba is Ichitaka's fiend from childhood (but parents moved to USA). She has of kors superb sense of humor and she likes to irritate Seto, but she...
Izumi Isosaki is a girl, who Ichitaka meet at summer over sea. Being sad about her boyfriend, she's somewhat trying to achive her goal on Ichitaka (you understand when you read xD). From character she is quiete like Itsuki, and probably that's why Ichitaka like her, or maybe much more?
Also I would like to say, that main characters are having names with first letter "i", and that's maybe why the title of manga is "I's". Or maybe that's just because is was a note I's ^^
Art:
Only one word can describe art from manga: it's Wonderful. I didn't saw until now so beatiful draw manga (or maybe I didn't so much ;p). Firstly pretty draw characters, their facial expression, and ending with super background and landscape. Probably the most amazing thing is landscape with backround, very realistic buildings, sea, trees, everything xD. The same goes for facial expression, maybe not special realistic, but Ichitaka's and Teratani's are the best. Everything is drawn very well, and everything is in smallest detail. The whole art of manga I's is like, hmm I would say natural, so everything is real, no some fantastic into it.
All in all ;p:
Reasume, I would like to say, that better manga of such genre you will never read (or only I believe like that). Furthermore, this is my nr.1 manga probably.. Manga told really nice about teenager life in Japan (I think that is queite real), his emotional evolution, to understand himself. If you didn't readu manga I's, I really recommend you to read. This manga probably teach, me myself teached some things. I really think, that this is one of this manga's, which you really like from the first chapter to the last. I don't know which time, but I recomed this manga xD

P.S. This thoughts are not objective ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

rankgain

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: I's

I loved this manga! I wish that there were more that are like it. Anyone have any recommendations for other series that are like I"s?

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

To love ru. in that really screwed up way.
I"S is one of my fave manga series, and is the reason that Masakazu Katsura is my favourite Manga-ka.

Epul

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

This manga is a masterpiece. Hence, all the manga from Masakazu Katsura is a masterpiece (eg. videgirl Ai, DNA2). However I must say that I's is my favourite of the lot.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

i've read it. It's great. I didn't get to read the other stories by the manga-ka though. I'll read them then

Epul

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

I would recommend you read videogirl Ai, baboysai. You laugh and cry as you read them. The story is that good!:)[br]Posted on: January 25, 2007, 09:22:50 PM_________________________________________________
rankgain said:
I loved this manga! I wish that there were more that are like it. Anyone have any recommendations for other series that are like I"s?
Try reading Ichigo 100% and Videogirl Ai.

rankgain

Reaction score
Country
United States

Epul said:
I would recommend you read videogirl Ai, baboysai. You laugh and cry as you read them. The story is that good!:)[br]Posted on: January 25, 2007, 09:22:50 PM_________________________________________________Try reading Ichigo 100% and Videogirl Ai.
I'll try Video Girl AI. I've already read the rest of them.

Epul

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Does I's have anime? anyone knows?

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I don't think it has.

ok, I'll check videogirl Ai out. ^_^ arigatou.

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France

Epul said:
Does I's have anime? anyone knows?
6 OAVs released last year, I think C1 subbed them :noworry

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

really? I'll check that out too.

juUnior

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Poland

Yeah, that OVA is named: I's Pure, and it is about manga plot, but shorter, a faaar shorter than in manga (Izumi is no present for example). Also it has Ova two pisodes: I's, but I would not recomend anyone that crap. It's really boring and pathetic for me.

rankgain said:
I only know, as it was stated, Ichigo 100%, VGA ins some way, and Love Hina ^^

baboysai said:
i've read it. It's great. I didn't get to read the other stories by the manga-ka though. I'll read them then
You should, if you liked I's very much :D

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Imo, the only manga worth reading that's like I''s: is I''s itself.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

yeah I guess they quit producing after the ratings they got or something. When I checked from ANN, they said they only had two releases... And the ratings were not so good.

Anyway I watched Ichigo 100% and I watched only up to the 3rd ep. I couldn't stomach the animation. It sucked.[br]Posted on: January 27, 2007, 09:39:04 PM_________________________________________________@epul, I like YUI, and she happens to have the same birthDATE as me! (shameless plug)

Epul

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

baboysai said:
yeah I guess they quit producing after the ratings they got or something. When I checked from ANN, they said they only had two releases... And the ratings were not so good.

Anyway I watched Ichigo 100% and I watched only up to the 3rd ep. I couldn't stomach the animation. It sucked.[br]Posted on: January 27, 2007, 09:39:04 PM_________________________________________________@epul, I like YUI, and she happens to have the same birthDATE as me! (shameless plug)
Yaaaay! Another YUI fan!:)
Yeah the animation sucked but manga is very good. So, dump the anime and read the manga instead. I assure you, you won't be disappointed.[br]Posted on: January 29, 2007, 08:52:10 AM_________________________________________________
barbapapa said:
Yeah I can understand what you mean. I's is in class of its own.

juUnior

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Poland

barbapapa said:
Epul said:
Yeah I can understand what you mean. I's is in class of its own.
Defienetly agree with you guys. I's is more than some genre type manga, it's a type of manga for it's own story, art, eveything :D

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I read Video Girl Ai. Although they had similarities with I's in the story, I think the mangaka's skill was more polished after a few years of making VG ai, thus creating the masterpiece- I's.

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

i read ichigo 100% first than I''s, so i like ichigo more, plus the ending of ichigo is perfect to me, but definitely I''s is one of the best reads i had in a long time, i dont think there could be another manga like it :amuse

and yeah, there's this talk about an alternate ending? does anyone know it, or just a description i dont care anymore about spoiling just curious

G.!

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

hm...After all this good-talking about I's, i think i'll take a look at it.

Obxist

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
sorry for bumping an old thread... but i wondering where i could get the kanzenban edition raw and by any chance is there alternate ending ?? if yes please give me some spoiler >_<...