Seinen - All You Need Is Kill by SAKURAZAKA Hiroshi, TAKEUCHI Ryousuke, OBATA Takeshi & ABE Yoshitoshi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen All You Need Is Kill by SAKURAZAKA Hiroshi, TAKEUCHI Ryousuke, OBATA Takeshi & ABE Yoshitoshi

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada

All You Need Is Kill
Genre: Sci-fi, Fantasy, Action, Seinen
Story Author: Sakurazaka Hiroshi and Takeuchi Ryousuke (Composition)
Illustrator: Obata Takeshi and Abe Yoshitoshi (Character Design)
Serialization: Weekly Young Jump
Publisher: Shueisha
Summary: The story is told from the perspective of Keiji Kiriya, a new recruit in the United Defense Force which fights against the mysterious 'Mimics' which have laid siege to Earth. Keiji is killed on his first sortie, but through some inexplicable phenomenon wakes up having returned to the day before the battle. This retroversal continues and he now finds himself caught in a time loop as his death and resurrection repeats time and time again. Keiji's skill as a soldier grows as he passes through each time loop in a desperate attempt to change his fate. (novel summary)

Chapter 1

Last edited:

BASED Shinigami

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Read the first chapter yesterday. The story seems similar to some anime movie I watched a while back. Blue Gender maybe? Anyway, the protagonist has already died five or four times, but he's seemingly made up his mind to attack the enemy head on the next chapter. However, I wonder what he'll do differently on the battlefield. If the main forces are unable to push the Mimics back once again, then the recon sniper unit will be slaughtered just like the first time. Also, I wonder if he'll brought back to that same starting point if he dies again in the future? I'll follow this comic for a bit.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Confused why he made Keiji a clone of Saiko (Bakuman), I wonder why he couldnt do a truly original design, though not that Im complaining because I love that character design alot. Kind of overly and pointlessly gorey and such for a sci-fi story IMO. Though the time loop aspect kind of does make it feel suspenseful and unique. Looking forward to chp 2.

Kaizou 10

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Kind of overly and pointlessly gorey and such for a sci-fi story IMO.
Well, since it is serializing in seinen magazine, Obata doesn't really have to censor this series.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, since it is serializing in seinen magazine, Obata doesn't really have to censor this series.
I dont think having such scenes just made the story come out more comical a bit and less serious than it tried to be, I mean, did we need to see blood spewing forth from the decapitated folks and etc?

Kaizou 10

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I dont think having such scenes just made the story come out more comical a bit and less serious than it tried to be, I mean, did we need to see blood spewing forth from the decapitated folks and etc?
Well, I think Obata tries to show that Kiriya has to experience this kind of gruesome killing so many times, so he tries to show how much Kiriya going to be changed after these loops.

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually don't mind the gruesome graphical nature of this comic. I believe it helps out the tone of the story by amplifying the seriousness.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
there is a light novel of this right? this just start to serialize at Jan 9 2014 maybe because of the live action movie :D

i like the gruesome stuff (Gantz,Berserk,TerraFormars) my addiction to gruesome stuff is coming back god i'm a sick son of a b*tch for loving these stuff :D

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fairly good 2nd chapter of just thinking over things. Best panel was easily the one in which the suit was wielding the axe in the page spread.

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fairly good 2nd chapter of just thinking over things. Best panel was easily the one in which the suit was wielding the axe in the page spread.
I don't see the 2nd chapter anywhere. What site did you read it on?

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

0Xellos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
The plot took a major twist in chapter 9!

An "antenna'd" mimic did a similar thing as the MC: after it was killed by Rita, time turned back, repeatedly.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I have finished reading the novel, and I need to say that the manga adaptation is good too. I like the fact that the manga manages to cut only to interesting parts without butchering anything important. Rita is also prettier in the manga adaptation :pleased By the way, anyone knows how long this manga would last? because the novel isn't exactly long, so with considering current pace of the manga, I'd say it'd end in 15-20 more chapters at most. Unless they expand the story.

vinceled

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
I think the manga adaptation will end in around 1-2 chapters. Btw the author is writing a sequel to the All You Need is Kill novel.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I think the manga adaptation will end in around 1-2 chapters. Btw the author is writing a sequel to the All You Need is Kill novel.
Uh, I don't know if this will be a spoiler or not, but unless they change the pace from the novelization, I don't think it'd end in 1-2 chapters though. I'm glad he's making a sequel looking forward to read it.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

but probably 5-10 chapters sounds more feasible i think.

---------- Post added April 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was April 24, 2014 at 07:38 PM ----------

Chapter 13 is out and yeah it seems it will end soon :(

vinceled

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Uh, I don't know if this will be a spoiler or not, but unless they change the pace from the novelization, I don't think it'd end in 1-2 chapters though. I'm glad he's making a sequel looking forward to read it.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

but probably 5-10 chapters sounds more feasible i think.

---------- Post added April 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was April 24, 2014 at 07:38 PM ----------

Chapter 13 is out and yeah it seems it will end soon :(
Well I read the novel and at this point of the series, the only thing remaining is "the final battle" and I don't think the author will stretch anything. Next chapter will be in 2 weeks since ch13 was from the double issue so next chapter will be around mid-May or something like that and Volume 1 and 2 of the manga are scheduled for June so the series will definitely end in May or at the latest early June which I find improbable.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
17 (END)

Ending of this manga was its weakest point. Would have rather had some larger event that showed that Keiji's attempts were worth something in the large context of war instead of just this battle field. Especially considering the Mimic Server issue and how so many Mimics were on shore it seemed to give a feeling of a battle being larger than it was then they finish and like theres more...Cheap dramatic ending too for both involved.

Good manga weak ending.

vinceled

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
17 (END)

Ending of this manga was its weakest point. Would have rather had some larger event that showed that Keiji's attempts were worth something in the large context of war instead of just this battle field. Especially considering the Mimic Server issue and how so many Mimics were on shore it seemed to give a feeling of a battle being larger than it was then they finish and like theres more...Cheap dramatic ending too for both involved.

Good manga weak ending.
Well that's how the novel originally ended too so nothing could be done about the ending though.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that's how the novel originally ended too so nothing could be done about the ending though.
I wonder if thats what made them create their own ending for the movie version, seems they said it was a weak one in the novel form too.

vinceled

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
I wonder if thats what made them create their own ending for the movie version, seems they said it was a weak one in the novel form too.
Well the ending is weak because it's actually really open. I think the author wasn't sure whether he'd do a sequel or something like that (sequel he actually plans to do...)