Discussion - the seven laws of the seven deadly sins | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion the seven laws of the seven deadly sins

marwanmaj

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Jordan
in chapter 39 ban said "the seven laws of the seven deadly sins , number 3 a sin shall ask no questions about others sin "
does any one have an idea about the other laws ?

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nope, it's never been mentioned again. However, I'd hazard a guess and say that "All Sins must abide by the Seven Laws" is one. Another law is probably "All Sins must follow all direct orders given to them".

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Nope, it's never been mentioned again. However, I'd hazard a guess and say that "All Sins must abide by the Seven Laws" is one. Another law is probably "All Sins must follow all direct orders given to them".
I don't think so. Otherwise Ban would have not told Meliodas not to give him orders when he attacked Dale, or maybe it's because he was too angry.

Based on what King said when Meliodas was fighting Hendricksen and Gil I think the "The leader must be the strongest" is one of their rules.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think so. Otherwise Ban would have not told Meliodas not to give him orders when he attacked Dale, or maybe it's because he was too angry.

Based on what King said when Meliodas was fighting Hendricksen and Gil I think the "The leader must be the strongest" is one of their rules.
True enough. I was going off of Gowther's reaction in the chapter before last. He made sure it wasn't a direct order before he declined, so I went from there, but seeing as how Ban did straight up deny an order from Mel, I guess that one isn't it. Then again, there was more emphasis on it when they fought each other and Ban actually did follow the order. So it might not be follow orders, but "Perform their duty as a Sin".

I think that's more trust than anything. They acknowledge his strength and know he isn't to be underestimated. I don't see that being a Law.

Incognitop

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Rule #6 was leaked like two months ago

Though Shalt not distribute pictures of Diane or Merlin for money.

:P

In all seriousness, I feel like the mangaka had an interesting plan for these but decided to cut them out.

HeartGold12

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Rule #6 was leaked like two months ago

Though Shalt not distribute pictures of Diane or Merlin for money.

:P

In all seriousness, I feel like the mangaka had an interesting plan for these but decided to cut them out.
Or they're going to play a role later, or be given away as the story goes. The manga is supposed to be around 300 chapters after all, and after the first 100 we have one confirmed rule and have ideas for others.

Especially that 'duty as a sin' part. I really do think it may be one of the rules.

Also, do you think the rules may have some sort of hierarchy? Like, if there will be two conflicting rules, the more important one takes over? After all, rule #3 is, well... I though it was weird such an important thing was only numbered as the third. Maybe it's because #2 and #1 are even more important.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Dunno, I got the impression that the rules were not actually a thing here. IIRC neither diane or king were that much aware of the rule ban spoke of. And in principle, the concept of the very rule ban mentioned is stupid and impossible. The sins are known as dangerous criminals who committed heinous crimes. Their sins are not private matters which concerned them, their sins are large scale public events which affected hundreds of lives each. In this particular context ban suggesting their sins are private matters is simply downright moronic. I mean, king was sentenced as the king of the fairies who allowed his subordinate to kill god knows how many for 500 years. Meliodas is blamed for turning an entire nation into a freaking crater. Ban is blamed for murdering a saint and destroying a kingdom. What ban suggested gets even more downright stupid if you consider that so far none of the sins actually did that. In fact, they are innocent and victims of the whole things (at least ban and king are, we don't know the details of what happened with meliodas). I mean, ban befriended the saint and saved the forrest (the exact opposite of what he was blamed for) and king did not have his memories for 500 years or so so he really didn't allow anything to happen, there was never anything he could do about it. So ban is suggesting that they keep to themselves, let everyone think they are all horrible criminals instead of telling people what actually happened which would actually show people that rather than horrible criminals they are even greater heroes than everyone already thinks they are. I can buy the wins wanting to keep to themselves but sticking to the rule is stupid when the alternative is just let everyone think you are responsible for thousands upon thousands of deaths at least.

Seriously....

Some guy: Whoa, you are meliodas! You are the guy that murdered everything in that kingdom for the lolz!
Meliodas: Actually.....
Ban: Shut up some guy! You are not allowed to inquire into the matters of the sins!
Some guy: Inquire? This guy is a cold blooded murderer who does not give a crap about anything, I don't want to inquire anything. I want to run but my legs are paralyzed with fear and my brain tells me that running is presumably pointless anyways. I mean, have you seen danafor? This guy turned it into a crater. You can't even see the button of it. I can't outrun a massively evil force of darkness with the power to punchbliterate nations.
Meliodas: Actually my sin isn't the destruction of danafor but...
Ban: CAPTAIN! THE FUCKING RULES!
Meliodas: Oh, all right, I will let him think I murdered everything for literally no good reason.
Some guy: Holy crap, you are ban! You killed the saint of the forrest and burned it down with all the fairies in it? And they say you also raped the body of the saint. And then you sold the bodies of fairies in the black market. And you chop of your private parts and throw them at old ladies walking down the street. Somehow repeatedly.
Ban: Actually...
Meliodas: BAN! THE RULES!
Ban: The rules are stupid. **throws penis at the guy**

Last edited:

Olho07

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
But the rule doesn't forbid a sin to talk about his own story or other people ask. It's just to a sin let other sin be in peace.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It amounts to the same though. I mean, there is a rule forbidding the sins from asking the questions that would result in them knowing that the others did not commit acts of unfathomable evil. So the situation is that meliodas is cool with king enabling helbram's 500 year old murderous spree and neglecting his kingdom and also cool with ban destroying a kingdom and its saint. King is cool with meliodas destroying danafor and the land it stood on. Well, the case can be made that the sins are not all too familiar with the sins of the others to begin with considering king only learned what happened to the fairy kingdom after the sins were betrayed. So they are all a bunch of disconnected fools ignorant of the world around them considering every one of the sins revealed so far is a public thing. I know they lack twitter but its not like 2 kingdoms disappearing within 20 years can be easily forgotten.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dunno, I got the impression that the rules were not actually a thing here. IIRC neither diane or king were that much aware of the rule ban spoke of. And in principle, the concept of the very rule ban mentioned is stupid and impossible. The sins are known as dangerous criminals who committed heinous crimes. Their sins are not private matters which concerned them, their sins are large scale public events which affected hundreds of lives each. In this particular context ban suggesting their sins are private matters is simply downright moronic. I mean, king was sentenced as the king of the fairies who allowed his subordinate to kill god knows how many for 500 years. Meliodas is blamed for turning an entire nation into a freaking crater. Ban is blamed for murdering a saint and destroying a kingdom. What ban suggested gets even more downright stupid if you consider that so far none of the sins actually did that. In fact, they are innocent and victims of the whole things (at least ban and king are, we don't know the details of what happened with meliodas). I mean, ban befriended the saint and saved the forrest (the exact opposite of what he was blamed for) and king did not have his memories for 500 years or so so he really didn't allow anything to happen, there was never anything he could do about it. So ban is suggesting that they keep to themselves, let everyone think they are all horrible criminals instead of telling people what actually happened which would actually show people that rather than horrible criminals they are even greater heroes than everyone already thinks they are. I can buy the wins wanting to keep to themselves but sticking to the rule is stupid when the alternative is just let everyone think you are responsible for thousands upon thousands of deaths at least.
That's...a damn good point. Although I have to question what exactly is common knowledge and what isn't. According to Jericho, Fairies and the Fairy Forest are nothing more that tales and thought that the "Fairy King" was just a nickname. Apparently, for some reason, after a point, everyone just forgot about the fairies. I think Demons were also mentioned to be nothing but a myth as well. People are also surprised to see Diane as well. Also, in that chapter you linked, it doesn't actually appear people are aware of what actually destroyed Danafor and refer to it as a calamity. Actually, it seems like no one in the present time is actually aware of the "crimes" the Sins committed.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
That's...a damn good point. Although I have to question what exactly is common knowledge and what isn't. According to Jericho, Fairies and the Fairy Forest are nothing more that tales and thought that the "Fairy King" was just a nickname. Apparently, for some reason, after a point, everyone just forgot about the fairies. I think Demons were also mentioned to be nothing but a myth as well. People are also surprised to see Diane as well. Also, in that chapter you linked, it doesn't actually appear people are aware of what actually destroyed Danafor and refer to it as a calamity. Actually, it seems like no one in the present time is actually aware of the "crimes" the Sins committed.
I guess the actual knowledge of this things can be lost to some however at least the relevant people seem well aware of what has been going on. Dreyfus knew about meliodas after all. At least most of the older knights must have known about ban because that happened 20 years ago. With jericho the case can be made that she didn't know because by her time the fairy kingdom was long gone, she is 16 or something. However For a significant amount of the worlds population the destruction of the fairy king's forest who had a treaty with the kingdom is a relatively recent event. Ban's had an actual trial on the thing and was thrown into prison for it. As far as I can tell the issue is not that other races are unknown, they are simply uncommon. Giants must be pretty well known if they were banned from byzel. Most people probably have not seen a fairy in their lifetime, even 700 years ago when they were more numerous they did not seem to leave the fairy kingdom at all, king discouraged the notion. Demons and the goddess clan are sealed away and barely anyone alive has seen them,

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
But seeing as how they are known for some of the worst crimes in the land, it's kinda strange how no one actually seems to know what these crimes are or bring it up. What Jericho shows me is that someone is not teaching the young these relatively important points in history and just letting things slowly be forgotten with the next generation. I'm actually wondering if someone ordered for their crimes to be stricken off the record.

I don't know anymore. Either the other rules will expand upon this or the author will just let this slide.

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
It amounts to the same though. I mean, there is a rule forbidding the sins from asking the questions that would result in them knowing that the others did not commit acts of unfathomable evil. So the situation is that meliodas is cool with king enabling helbram's 500 year old murderous spree and neglecting his kingdom and also cool with ban destroying a kingdom and its saint. King is cool with meliodas destroying danafor and the land it stood on. Well, the case can be made that the sins are not all too familiar with the sins of the others to begin with considering king only learned what happened to the fairy kingdom after the sins were betrayed. So they are all a bunch of disconnected fools ignorant of the world around them considering every one of the sins revealed so far is a public thing. I know they lack twitter but its not like 2 kingdoms disappearing within 20 years can be easily forgotten.
I think this is something interesting about that particular rule in so much that as we see with Ban and King they are actually related to one way or another, Ban being blamed for the destruction of the forest and King being the ruler of said forest etc. That I have a feeling the rule may have been intentional in so much as they actually hide their degrees of relation as well as likely having screwed over a fellow sin in one way or another, even if indirectly etc.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think this is something interesting about that particular rule in so much that as we see with Ban and King they are actually related to one way or another, Ban being blamed for the destruction of the forest and King being the ruler of said forest etc. That I have a feeling the rule may have been intentional in so much as they actually hide their degrees of relation as well as likely having screwed over a fellow sin in one way or another, even if indirectly etc.
But it only prevents the Sins from learning it from each other though. They can still learn it from an outside source, just as King did, and we see how that turned out. It's a general respect your companion's privacy rule, but when you and your companions "privacy" is out in public anyhow and is relatively well known, that rule is pretty useless.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't think there is anything wrong with this law. The Sins are all considered as criminals with a great Sin, there is what is publicly said but they can't know the story as well as the "Sinners" themselves and it's not a good memory so they would not like to talk about it. They can know the popular reason but they won't ask for details in their group.

King learnt about Ban's Sin but he didn't know the truth, it's not very important IMO because those who allowed Ban to join Meliodas's group considered him as a criminal who destroyed the Fairy's Forest and were OK with this.

King believed the words of someone else and judged Ban, but Ban had all the rights to not talk about his past, he preffered to kill him for this. King himself doesn't want to talk about his past, and Elaine was stuck there due to his own Sin, Ban knew about this and didn't even talk about it.

King was in the wrong.

Hamy

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
But it only prevents the Sins from learning it from each other though. They can still learn it from an outside source, just as King did, and we see how that turned out. It's a general respect your companion's privacy rule, but when you and your companions "privacy" is out in public anyhow and is relatively well known, that rule is pretty useless.
Well it is rather obvious they aren't very much public figures so to speak, and they do seem to be rather elusive. Well in the case of Ban we know he went on a spree of stealing underwear and generally getting drunk so... At the very least there is a high likelihood they were acting like misfits out in public so nobody probably wanted to associate with them.

At the very least I don't think it odd that the Sins are unconcerned so much about rumors or information in so much that they don't deem it important. The offshoot of this rule may also be that they don't make it a point to listen or search for information about fellow comrades.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
On the flip side, we also have King who returned the toys Ban stole and Mel who we know was a hero to the child of the GHK. Speaking of which, they had the respect of said GHK as well as the King and, for the most part, seemed to have been heroes to the Kingdom. So even if people considered them misfits, I don't think they'd go out of their way to avoid them. At least, going off of what we've seen. The author hasn't really given much insight on how the Sins were perceived by the public during their tenure as Knights.

Depending on Merlin's relation to Gowther, that may not be the case.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

I don't think there is anything wrong with this law. The Sins are all considered as criminals with a great Sin, there is what is publicly said but they can't know the story as well as the "Sinners" themselves and it's not a good memory so they would not like to talk about it. They can know the popular reason but they won't ask for details in their group.

King learnt about Ban's Sin but he didn't know the truth, it's not very important IMO because those who allowed Ban to join Meliodas's group considered him as a criminal who destroyed the Fairy's Forest and were OK with this.

King believed the words of someone else and judged Ban, but Ban had all the rights to not talk about his past, he preffered to kill him for this. King himself doesn't want to talk about his past, and Elaine was stuck there due to his own Sin, Ban knew about this and didn't even talk about it.

King was in the wrong.
It's not like King could have asked him after he found out what happened to his home town. And if he did, do you really think Ban would have told him what really happened anyway?

Going from their first meeting, it was Mel himself who wanted Ban to join the group, so he was most likely the one who pushed for it. I think it's pretty important to allow someone who supposedly destroyed the home of another teammate join the same group. That could have caused some problems had King learned about it before they split.

Ban was linked to the destruction of his home and the death of his sister. Ban not talking about his past just prolonged the inevitable. This was a confrontation that was bound to happen sooner or later, no matter who was in the right or wrong. IMO, King is as wrong here as he is with his "Sin".

Hamy

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
On the flip side, we also have King who returned the toys Ban stole and Mel who we know was a hero to the child of the GHK. Speaking of which, they had the respect of said GHK as well as the King and, for the most part, seemed to have been heroes to the Kingdom. So even if people considered them misfits, I don't think they'd go out of their way to avoid them. At least, going off of what we've seen. The author hasn't really given much insight on how the Sins were perceived by the public during their tenure as Knights.

Depending on Merlin's relation to Gowther, that may not be the case.
I think the problem with the group is that they are wrapped in enigma so to speak I'm led to believe the public didn't have as much interaction with them given how easy it was to frame them. The ones they primarily interact with are the higher ups. As for why I also believe them to be somewhat of a misfit group is that looking back on the short conversation on the fateful day it seems they destroy as much as they protect, e.g. the druid shrine. Based on Merlin's sarcasm it seems that they generally do their missions well but there is collateral damage. Regardless, they're not exactly the most heroic figures I think, and the fact that majority of them are not human is another distance removed from the public.

While King may have returned the stuff it is consistent with what I mentioned in that they destroy as much as they protect so I think the public perception is likely confused.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can agree with that.

As I said though, I do think the law weird when certain things are taken into consideration.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Two Laws have been revealed in the anime.

5th Law: When two Sins are in disagreement they must solve this with a fight.

6th Law: If two Sins are fighting to the death the five others must stop him. And apparently if only one of them is trying to kill his companion, the others can kill him.

Last edited: