Discussion - Gowther | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Gowther

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I always thought breaking his commandment turned him into a doll.
Well, the manga does not actually say that. What the manga tells us is that breaking his commandment made him loose his self of self and identity. I guess we can't really rule out the possibility of this being the case although to me the idea sounds a tad arbitrary.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If gowther was created by the demon lord would he still be a demon though? To me the idea sounds a tad weird. Gowther has been placed in a situation in which even other demons don't recognize him. He probably does not look the same as he did when he was an active commandment. I still think that he broke his commandment, some stuff happened, ran into the magician merlin mentioned and then he was finally sealed within the doll. Perhaps his body is actually elsewhere... Though his pattern when fraudrin spoke of him does remind me of the cat on top of arthur's head, perhaps there is something to that as well.
yeah....i agree his body maybe elsewhere....same case with fraudrin i guess.

is that a cat?....maybe it's similar to puu from yuyu....
once arthur awakens his powers....that creature will transform into some kind of battle animal.

like battlecat

:zomg

Gallon

Artichoke
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Joker
To me the idea sounds a tad weird. Gowther has been placed in a situation in which even other demons don't recognize him. He probably does not look the same as he did when he was an active commandment.
Which demons have not recognized him? I don't recall anyone but Fraudrin actually seeing him. As for Galan, he fell prey to Invasion without seeing Gowther, as far as we know.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Which demons have not recognized him? I don't recall anyone but Fraudrin actually seeing him. As for Galan, he fell prey to Invasion without seeing Gowther, as far as we know.
Meliodas apparently. It is plausible meliodas has simply kept quiet about that. And even then, fraudrin is enough in this. He did not physically recognized gowther apparently.

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Meliodas apparently. It is plausible meliodas has simply kept quiet about that. And even then, fraudrin is enough in this. He did not physically recognized gowther apparently.
Meliodas probably knows. He didn't recognize Gowther in his Armando appearance, but he should be aware of who he is. He must have known him 3000 years ago.
As for Fraudrin, I dunno. He seemed pretty surprised when Gowther appeared back at the fight in the Kingdom, as if he recalled somebody with that appearance. Besides, it was not stated how Fraudrin recognized Gowther - appearance cannot be ruled out.

Baum

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Meliodas probably knows. He didn't recognize Gowther in his Armando appearance, but he should be aware of who he is. He must have known him 3000 years ago.
As for Fraudrin, I dunno. He seemed pretty surprised when Gowther appeared back at the fight in the Kingdom, as if he recalled somebody with that appearance. Besides, it was not stated how Fraudrin recognized Gowther - appearance cannot be ruled out.
Fraudrin implied he recognized Gowther's appearance:

I'm, of course, not sure how accurate Mangastream's translation for that part is/was. I can't remember anyone telling us otherwise back when the chapter was released either, tho

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
There are two things I am curious about. Is Gowther his true name or the name of the Doll? Same for his Magic.

If Gowther is his true name and/or Invasion his true Magic, Meliodas and Fraudrin should have discovered his identity long ago. Meliodas probably knows and is hiding the truth but what about Fraudrin?

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
There are two things I am curious about. Is Gowther his true name or the name of the Doll? Same for his Magic.

If Gowther is his true name and/or Invasion his true Magic, Meliodas and Fraudrin should have discovered his identity long ago. Meliodas probably knows and is hiding the truth but what about Fraudrin?
Good question. It's entirely possible that he lost sense of who he was, including his name, and was given another name.
The contrary is entirely possible, as well.

Baum

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think Gowther knows that he isn't really himself at the moment...That's what I got from the short "conversation" he had with Meliodas after his fight with Diane when he said he doesn't want to "disappear" at least. And Mel definitely knows he used to be a commandment, or at the very least knows he is a part of the demon clan.

I do not think he knows that he used to be part of the demon clan tho, but that's really just a hunch, I can't think of anything that'd support that tbh.
And I think Gowther is the name of the demon/commandment itself. Fraudrin called the commandment "Gowther the Selfless", I don't see why he'd make a title like that up and it's another point for Meliodas knowing Gowther's real (or rather former) identity because he's the one responsible for him to join the sins in the first place, and maybe "the Lust" refers to the reason why Gowther lost his emotions and everything, similar to how the other sins' titles aren't only (very vaguely) describing their "crimes" but also their actual character traits: Mel DOES have major anger issues, Diane can be pretty envious of others, Ban's greedy, King is slow/always too late and isn't exactly a fan of hard labor, (day) Escanor is prideful and Merlin's got an unhealthy "hunger" for all kinds of magical knowledge.
Why can't (demon) Gowther be someone who selfishly indulged in lust before he literally lost himself?

Pietro

Reaction score
Country
Italy
In the volume 11 Nakaba says that Gowther in the orginal concept of the manga should have been a demon that had to protect Meliodas. But I don't think he's a demon. In a chapter himself says that every member of the sins it's from a different race,and I think it's even for him this.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
The last chapter confirmed that Gowther was his true name even as a Commandment. I had doubts before but now I am certain that Meliodas knew about his identity all along. It's a different story for Merlin though, she heard of the 10C but she doesn't know their abilities. Meliodas assembled each of the Sins personally so Merlin probably studied his Doll body when they met as Sins, but she knows Meliodas is hiding something.

oxtopus

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
According,to the stories,gowther is merlins half-brother and in nnt they seem to have some kind of relationship and merlin seems to protective of gowther. Could they be related ??? gowther doll form may or may not be his original form considering gowther looks the same in doll form i'd say his doll form is his real form since it looks kind of demonic,maybe the doll size form is a result of him breaking his commandment and what the great magician merlin spoke of was trying to free gowther but couldn't return him to his original form but was able to free him partially,resulting in the current gowther. The great magician magic must have been so strong that absolute cancel can't fully erase it and return gowther to his original doll-like state,breaking his decree left him in permanently,but can do it temporarily.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
According,to the stories,gowther is merlins half-brother and in nnt they seem to have some kind of relationship and merlin seems to protective of gowther. Could they be related ??? gowther doll form may or may not be his original form considering gowther looks the same in doll form i'd say his doll form is his real form since it looks kind of demonic,maybe the doll size form is a result of him breaking his commandment and what the great magician merlin spoke of was trying to free gowther but couldn't return him to his original form but was able to free him partially,resulting in the current gowther. The great magician magic must have been so strong that absolute cancel can't fully erase it and return gowther to his original doll-like state,breaking his decree left him in permanently,but can do it temporarily.
Maybe it looks similar to his original form since Fraudrin recognized him, or maybe it's becaue he knows how the Commandment works but we have seen is silhouette

Gowther and Merlin might be linked through the Mage who made the Doll, but in that case it would mean that he made the Doll with an appearance similar to the original body and Dreyfus guessed it or Merlin is lying. Anyway their stories are tied since she knows that Gowther wants to go somewhere.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
To me that still looks like the cat on top of arthur's head... I think it is connected to gowther's true nature.

The story merlin told could have many explanations at this point. The weird part is that gowther does turn into a doll when merlin uses absolute cancel on him... Which to me suggests that merlin is telling half a lie here. Imagine merlin using absolute cancel on mel.... It wouldn't turn him into an action figure (as far as we know anyways). So gowther broke his commandment, then stuff happened and he ended up being an actual doll. It is possible that the powerful mage merlin mentioned did seal the demon gowther within a doll. It is also possible that the mage in question was also merlin herself.

Rescorlian

Reaction score
Country
France
Maybe the great mage Merlin speaks of is Gilfreezer. That would make things interesting and dynamic within the tournament arc.
From all we know, all the demons were sealed. Maybe Gowther is one of a few exception as he was sealed not together with the others but within a doll.

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
To me that still looks like the cat on top of arthur's head... I think it is connected to gowther's true nature.

The story merlin told could have many explanations at this point. The weird part is that gowther does turn into a doll when merlin uses absolute cancel on him... Which to me suggests that merlin is telling half a lie here. Imagine merlin using absolute cancel on mel.... It wouldn't turn him into an action figure (as far as we know anyways). So gowther broke his commandment, then stuff happened and he ended up being an actual doll. It is possible that the powerful mage merlin mentioned did seal the demon gowther within a doll. It is also possible that the mage in question was also merlin herself.
The doll part is closely related to Pinocchio's story, and is even related to his commandment. Remember he's supposed to be selfless?
Once there was a carpenter called Geppetto. He made a wooden puppet and called him Pinocchio. "How nice it would be if it were a real baby!" sighed when he finished painting it. That night, a good fairy heard him and made his wish to become real. "Awake, wood inanimate, now you've got a soul!" she made her magic spell touching Pinocchio with her magic wand. "Pinocchio , be always a good , brave and a selfless boy , " said the Fairy , " and one day you'll be a real boy !"
So Pinocchio ought to be good, brave and selfless. At first he's given a wooden body,like dolls used to have. And Gowther wants to understand emotions, which in turn would make him a real boy.
The similarities are too great to dismiss. So I'm not really convinced that Merlin's story is as she says, that he was made by someone, a great magician. We know for a fact that he was a demon, a commandment at that, but he broke his commandment by being selfish and he got his memories wiped, and lost the ability to have emotions. So while the doll could have been made by a magician, and it would actually be a magical tool, it can't really be that Gowther was "made" by him. Maybe his soul got attached to the doll somehow, but I'm really having a hard time imagining that Merlin was unaware of what the doll was, and of course his nature. So back then she was most likely only telling half the story, as in the doll as a magical tool was made by a magician, but she would have wanted to protect Gowther, since she could know that he's a demon.Which unsurprisingly also fits with the legends, that has Merlin and Gowther being siblings.
Given her interest in the demons and the commandments in particular, it's not hard to imagine her accepting to take care of Gowther, based on the knowledge that she could have of him being a former commandment. It all fits imo.

ShadowCT6

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
So, what do you think about the following theory: I think that Meliodas is a former Demon King and Gowther used to be one of his Commandments. When Meliodas lost his leadership 3000 years before the Great War, Gowther refused to obey the new Demon King, what activated his Commandment of Selfles (once the act of not help someone, obviously, isn't selfless. :P ) And yes, Gowther was cursed by his own commandment 3000 years before the Great War as well as said by Fraudrin.

LionSinOfPride

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
So, what do you think about the following theory: I think that Meliodas is a former Demon King and Gowther used to be one of his Commandments. When Meliodas lost his leadership 3000 years before the Great War, Gowther refused to obey the new Demon King, what activated his Commandment of Selfles (once the act of not help someone, obviously, isn't selfless. :P ) And yes, Gowther was cursed by his own commandment 3000 years before the Great War as well as said by Fraudrin.
Just read chapter 176 and it was confirmed that indeed Meliodas was the former demon king so your theory about gowther could
Be spot on!

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Just read chapter 176 and it was confirmed that indeed Meliodas was the former demon king so your theory about gowther could
Be spot on!
Meliodas was the one suitable to become the successor to the Demon King - he's never been the Demon King.
And besides, if Meliodas had given Gowther his decree, which he did not, he could have probably removed the effects of that very decree.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Maybe Gowther was Meliodas's personal bodyguard/ attendant or something. His prototype had a role like that.