Discussion - Fairy Tail Power Ranking Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Fairy Tail Power Ranking Thread

Which side are you on?

• Team Spriggan 12

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Team Diabolos/Dragon Eaters

Votes: 41 50.0%

• Total voters

Xzilerate

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I don't think we've seen Zeref go all out yet, and I'd like to see more of Acnologia as well, so I'll exclude them from my list, but consider them higher than anything in the following. For my thoughts on this, I'll do separate lists for the Spriggans and the protagonists based on hype and what we've seen so far. To keep my comment condensed I'll use spoiler tags to divide it into sections.

Top 10 Spriggan 12 thus far:
Top tier:
1. August
High Tier:
2. Invel
3. God Serena
Mid Tier:
4. Wahl
5. Brandish
6. Bradman
7. Jacob
8. Dimaria
Low Tier:
9. Ajeel
10. Nienhart

Now this is mainly speculation on my part as we haven't seen a lot of the Spriggan, but for me, August is easily a cut above the rest from what we've heard. Makarov credited him with having a huge knowledge of various magics, a knowledge of magic thats greater than Zeref who has been around 400+ years, so thats really impressive. Next I have a high tier, and I've put Invel up there purely because Zeref keeps him by his side, which could mean he's someone he relies on to clean up some things if he can't be bothered. God Serena is up there for the fairly obvious reasons of being credited as one of the strongest mages from Ishgar + Dragon Slayer magic which is fairly self explanatory in itself. Mid tier, we have Wahl whose cannon nearly obliterated the guild from 400km (~250 miles) away, Brandish who has magic which allows her to change the size of matter, Bradman who was basically destroying the northern front, Jacob who has mastery of assassination magic and Dimaria who is a seasoned war veteran who's power made Kagura freeze up. Ajeel and Nienhart are lower-tier spriggan imo, Ajeel because even though he's pretty strong he has some things which can easily bring about his undoing and Nienhart is a mystery, but I wouldn't rate him too highly without seeing what he can do.

Top 10 Protagonists as it currently stands:
Top Tier:
1. Natsu
2. Jellal
3. Laxus
High-Mid Tier:
4. Erza
5. Gajeel
6. Kagura and Minerva
7. Gray
Low tier:
8. Sting and Rogue
9. Wendy
10. Juvia

So before I start I'd like to note I think Gildarts is a bit irrelevant to place on this list as he's currently mia and he hasn't been shown to be any better than what he was on Tenrou which was >= Bluenote, who Natsu one-shotted easily, so he's not on the list, but he'd probably place before Gajeel at worst.
Okay, so Natsu gets the #1 spot. You're welcome to disagree with me, but no other character on the protagonist side has shown anything that can really match the power of Natsu's Dragon Force. We've seen he can activate it at will, as per the Natsu & Gray vs Mard Geer fight, and he went from doing nothing to sending the demon flying when he activated it, and Mard was one of the strongest enemies we'd seen at that point. Jellal gets #2, but he's really on the same level as #3, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he was slightly ahead of Laxus at the GMG and we haven't seen if he's gotten any stronger since he solo'd Oracion Seis. Laxus is pretty damn powerful and one of the best mages FT has, so I'm giving him #3. Erza is at #4 again because one of the best fairy tail mages + she's erza, Gajeel gets the benefit of the doubt and is placed higher than Kagura + Minerva because of his Iron-Shadow Dragon mode +the potential of him having Dragon Force, which would put him above Erza imo, but as we haven't seen him have DF he gets #5. Kagura and Minerva were slightly below Erza at the GMG, and I haven't seen any reason why that would change, so they get to share #6. I'm giving Gray #7 purely because of his Devil Slayer magic and the buffs its given him. Sting and Rogue will get to share #8 as they're always together as a team, and even separately with Dragon Force they can pack one hell of a punch. Wendy gets #9 for the same reason as the other Gen 1/3 Dragon Slayers have placed, and thats because of the sheer damage they can deal with Dragon Force + their other capabilities. I'll give Juvia #10 as we haven't seen anything much from any other notable characters in recent times for me to put them above her. Honourable mentions for the list go to Cobra, Midnight and Jura. (Jura is out of this list as he's more of a sub character and I have other reasons I won't bore you with).
Why wold you put Jellal ahead of Laxus at this point? Doesn't make much sense, especially since in the same post you said you can't rank Gildarts because he's not around and he hasn't shown any improvement since his fight with Bluenote, but if you would you'd rank him around Gajeel. It's really no different with Jellal. He's not around and we don't even know if he's improved let alone improved as much as Laxus. If he didn't improve at all then Laxus is miles ahead of him.

Anyway

Acnologia
Zeref
Spriggan 12, Laxus, and Natsu
Gildarts, Jellal
Erza, Gray, Gajeel,

Don't really feel like doing the rest lol.

Last edited:

Ice devil slayer

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Laxus is not on god serena level .
God serena wrecks the four god without a scratch and im pretty sure he can beat laxus with his 8 lacrima, currently i don't see laxus being stronger than hyperion since we have see nothing from hyperion we have to wait . Nothing sugest that laxus is stronger than wahl i understand he was about to one shot ajeel but i'm ajeel is not on wahl's level

Ice devil slayer

Reaction score
Country
France
How mirajane and kagura are stronger than natsu gajeel and gray ? How erza is laxus jellal gildarts level these guy are way above her i'm pretty sure she's on gajeel level currently

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
1.Acnologia.
2.Zeref.
3.August.
4.Some of The Spriggans.
5.Natsu
6.laxus
7.Jellal
8.Brandish
9.Ajeel

Xzilerate

Reaction score
Country
United States
Laxus is not on god serena level .
God serena wrecks the four god without a scratch and im pretty sure he can beat laxus with his 8 lacrima, currently i don't see laxus being stronger than hyperion since we have see nothing from hyperion we have to wait . Nothing sugest that laxus is stronger than wahl i understand he was about to one shot ajeel but i'm ajeel is not on wahl's level
Says who? Nothing you've said is concrete evidence for such a claim. Wrecking 4 mages who had no impressive feats prior is not impressive at all. And what suggests Laxus is weaker than Hyberion? Hyberion has done nothing to suggest he's stronger.

Wahl is not significantly stronger than Ajeel. The only Spriggan who was touted as being significantly stronger than the other Spriggan was August. The rest were said to be on the same general playing field.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I do agree with @Xzilerate that the GOI is just a title, but I would say that God Serena was the strongest wizard in Isghal before leaving to Alvarez. Hyberion practically acknowledged this. Serena's prowess, even before using Dragon Slayer magic, was beyond belief to Wolfheim. And obviously there is quite a gap between Hyberion and God Serena. Jura seemed more or less on par with the GoI, with Hyberion being the slightly better combatant.

As for Laxus I think he's around the level of God Serena, probs a little higher. His nuke trumps anything a serious God Serena has done imo, considering there is hype for the nuke to do the same to Ajeel what Serena did to the GoI. Imo Natsu showed more with his roar on Bluenote than God Serena did, oneshotting Bluenote like that is more impressive. I mean Bluenote is in the same ballpark as Jura; and Natsu's AoE is superior. The versatility of Serena's magic - and of course the resistance to 8 elements - makes God Serena a very power wizard.

Last edited:

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
As long as i'm Kagura fan she and the other character from other guilds ( except Jellal ) are far beloved fairy tail wizards ..
Mashima show's that side character from other guilds does not improve over time only if the plot requires it ( Jura before GmG arc and in it ) .
If the characters from other guild also raise they skills over time that at that time Meldy should be at this list as well :P

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I may not be good at ranking, but I will give few opinions of mine. I want to discuss this from other view. The phenomenon we are now seeing is so-called timeskip. This phenomenon is common in shonen manga and aims to make main protagonists and supporting protagonists instantly stronger than before. The objective of timeskip is to save valuable time, to summarize what those protagonists have done during their training. After timeskip we usually are introduced new enemies who are stronger than before. So, to be match to the new enemies, timeskip is needed in order to make the protagonists stronger (than their old selves), on par with, or even stronger than new enemies. If the author doesn't make a timeskip, it will be tens of or dozens of mini arcs that elaborate one by one what the protagonists have done during training and then the manga will be very very long. For example, One Piece, Naruto, and now we are discussing about Fairy Tail. Fairy Tail itself even has 2 timeskip.

I myself have some most favorite characters in this manga. One of them is Laxus. I myself am very open to all possibilities of Laxus' future, either his victory against Wahl, his defeat, being assisted, or even his death by illness, sacrifice, or Acnologia. Even in Naruto, my most favorite character is a zombie. Yea, he is Tobirama. Rarely seen in story, wasn't he? As a Laxus fan, I believe he can defeat by himself, but once again, I will accept other possibilities of his future.

Last edited:

DarkSoulz

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Top strongest
1 Acnologia
2 Zeref
3 Spriggan 12
4-7 Gildarts, Laxus, Erza, Jellal
8-10 Mira, Kagura, Bacchus
11-13 Natsu, Gajeel, Gray
14-15 Sting, Rogue
I think you have put Natsu too low in the list. Natsu can beat Erza theres no question about that, also he might be able to defeat Laxus too, remember he has Lightning Fire Dragon Mode and he might be able to enter Dragon Force. In my opinion this is how the list should be.

1 Acno
2 Zeref
3 Sprigaan 12 + Gildarts
4 Laxus, Jellal, Natsu,
5 Gray, Erza
6 Gajeel, Mira, Kagura

Gildarts is equal to a spriggan. Natsu belongs in Laxus and Jellal's tier with Dragon Force and Lightning Fire Dragon Mode. Gray is a level below with Erza infact Gray might be stronger than Erza right now after he recived his devil slayer magic.

Firepower

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
How mirajane and kagura are stronger than natsu gajeel and gray ? How erza is laxus jellal gildarts level these guy are way above her i'm pretty sure she's on gajeel level currently
A lot of this is guessing by gut feeling and how these characters seem to be moving along. I ranked Erza at that level because of the foes she beat. When she fought Jellal, she was not at full strength due to a previous fight. Both Makarov and Mystogan claimed Erza could beat Laxus during Laxus's guild takeover. Mystogan especially, who told Laxus that he is very much underestimating her, during their fight as he was leaving, believing Erza is in fact not an underdog.

Ice devil slayer

Reaction score
Country
France
A lot of this is guessing by gut feeling and how these characters seem to be moving along. I ranked Erza at that level because of the foes she beat. When she fought Jellal, she was not at full strength due to a previous fight. Both Makarov and Mystogan claimed Erza could beat Laxus during Laxus's guild takeover. Mystogan especially, who told Laxus that he is very much underestimating her, during their fight as he was leaving, believing Erza is in fact not an underdog.
Yes but if you are talking about current power levels i don't see erza being on the same as laxus..she was about to get killed by ajeel while laxus was about to one shot him..i don't see her being stronger than current natsu too

Firepower

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes but if you are talking about current power levels i don't see erza being on the same as laxus..she was about to get killed by ajeel while laxus was about to one shot him..i don't see her being stronger than current natsu too
Ajeel told August that it wouldn't have killed him. Laxus wasn't expecting him to die either, telling Ajeel they are just leaving for now because they're late for dinner or something.

Ice devil slayer

Reaction score
Country
France
Ajeel told August that it wouldn't have killed him. Laxus wasn't expecting him to die either, telling Ajeel they are just leaving for now because they're late for dinner or something.
Maybe not kill him but i'm pretty sure ajeel was about to get ko if laxus nuke touched him and he said he wasn't going to die because ajeel is a cocky guy

Yunkers

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Ajeel said so, because he was self-confident, August said the opposite. Even Ajeel wouldn't die--we don't really know, we got two different information--Laxus overpowered him and his victory would be easy.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
This is power/combat ability... if someone is one the same line they're about the same, or I don't know where to put them. The spaces between the groups are where I think there is a clear difference between capabilities. People in the same group have comparable capabilities, but some might be slightly above/below.

Acnologia DF

Acnologia Base,
IgNatsu (FDKM), Zeref,
August

Jellal, Laxus, strongest Spriggan(s)
Base Natsu, God Serena, Ajeel, rest of Spriggans

Erza, Gray, Gajeel, Jura, Hyberion, Wolfheim, Warrod
Mirajane, Sting, Rogue, Minerva, Kagura
Lyon, Lucy, Wendy, Cana, Elfman, Juvia

• Unsure where to put GoI/Jura, think they performed around the same as Erza. Gray/Gajeel I believe they've got the potential to be above Erza, so I kept them at Erza level. With DF I assume Gajeel would be Spriggan level for however long that lasts.
  • Jellal could be higher or lower, just guessing. I'm sticking with him being equal or slightly better than Laxus, just like pre-skip. I generously hype Jellal. Logically he shouldn't be Laxus level unless he's trained a lot.
  • Actually God Serena, could be higher than Ajeel.
  • Base Natsu has superior offence so far to Ajeel/Serena, but I think Spriggans have greater MP due to him grabbing his arm when he met Brandish/Ajeel. I see this as Natsu admitting MP inferiority, but his magic puts him with them.
  • I didn't rank the other Spriggans just left 2 groups strong/rest. They're going to be in the same group, apart from August. I don't expect a great deal of spread among the other 11.
  • If I put Gildarts in he would be with Jura.
  • My projection for DF Natsu is that he is above IgNatsu but not as strong as DF Acno.

Last edited:

Ice devil slayer

Reaction score
Country
France
My power ranking for the alvarez arc
1.Acnologia obvious
2 zeref
3.End
4.August
5.Spriggan 12 and gildarts
6.natsu laxus
7. Gray
8.gajeel and erza
9. Kagura minerva mirajane

Firepower

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you have put Natsu too low in the list. Natsu can beat Erza theres no question about that, also he might be able to defeat Laxus too, remember he has Lightning Fire Dragon Mode and he might be able to enter Dragon Force. In my opinion this is how the list should be.

1 Acno
2 Zeref
3 Sprigaan 12 + Gildarts
4 Laxus, Jellal, Natsu,
5 Gray, Erza
6 Gajeel, Mira, Kagura

Gildarts is equal to a spriggan. Natsu belongs in Laxus and Jellal's tier with Dragon Force and Lightning Fire Dragon Mode. Gray is a level below with Erza infact Gray might be stronger than Erza right now after he recived his devil slayer magic.
It's very possible that Natsu has surpassed many including Erza, but being that I doubt the manga is near over, it's too soon for him to take the throne, which he will eventually. The future ending I see is Natsu dragonifying, which is still possible, as Igneel said its most likely can't happen. It would be Natsu turning into a red dragon looking very similar to Igneel and Lucy having a legendary spirit king key used for her star dress. When Natsu wakes up and if the battle is still going, we'll find out where he stands.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Ajeel said so, because he was self-confident, August said the opposite. Even Ajeel wouldn't die--we don't really know, we got two different information--Laxus overpowered him and his victory would be easy.
Yet Ajeel being overconfident was demanding to be the only one to fight ft. August said losing comrades is a bad thing. Ajeel gives him a look asking if August was suggesting he'd have died. Then told August to be careful not to get senile in his old age. Kinda premature to say Laxus would have one shot him.

You need real evidence if you feel that strongly about it. August shielded Ajeel. Did you think August had to put up his strongest shield, or that Ajeel couldn't have covered himself?

Overpowering? Laxus did stop Ajeel's attack, but that doesn't mean they were both going all out. Ajeel was playing around the whole time. And if you say Laxus wasn't serious either, then no real evidence is proven. It would have been sad if Laxus couldn't stop that one attack.

Don't make me look like a Laxus hater. Laxus is one of my favorite characters, but I have to be honest with myself and can't jump to conclusions and say he'd have killed Ajeel with one attack, even though I wish he did.

Keran

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
For this time I see it so:
Antagonists:
1. Acno
2. Zeref
3. August, Invel (From one side king of magic, from other side Zeref's right hand. Yet let it be so)
4. God Serena
5. Neinhart
6. some others spriggans
Protagonists:
1. Gildarts
2. Natsu, Gray (Gray's DeS magic is pretty strong. Besides Gray said that he has some tricks up his sleeve)
3. Laxus (I realized that he's not so strong as I thought earlier. Natsu showed not less and even more. Gray's potencial is not yet realized)
4. Jellal ( For this time)
5. Ersa
6. Gajeel, Mira, Lucy

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I may not be good at ranking, but I will give few opinions of mine. I want to discuss this from other view. The phenomenon we are now seeing is so-called timeskip. This phenomenon is common in shonen manga and aims to make main protagonists and supporting protagonists instantly stronger than before. The objective of timeskip is to save valuable time, to summarize what those protagonists have done during their training. After timeskip we usually are introduced new enemies who are stronger than before. So, to be match to the new enemies, timeskip is needed in order to make the protagonists stronger (than their old selves), on par with, or even stronger than new enemies. If the author doesn't make a timeskip, it will be tens of or dozens of mini arcs that elaborate one by one what the protagonists have done during training and then the manga will be very very long. For example, One Piece, Naruto, and now we are discussing about Fairy Tail. Fairy Tail itself even has 2 timeskip.

I myself have some most favorite characters in this manga. One of them is Laxus. I myself am very open to all possibilities of Laxus' future, either his victory against Wahl, his defeat, being assisted, or even his death by illness, sacrifice, or Acnologia. Even in Naruto, my most favorite character is a zombie. Yea, he is Tobirama. Rarely seen in story, wasn't he? As a Laxus fan, I believe he can defeat by himself, but once again, I will accept other possibilities of his future.
As for ranking, I will try to list some characters based on my gut feeling. I do not include Acnologia and Zeref because they are too mainstream.

Expert, professional, no doubt: August, Serena

Elite: Laxus, Jellal, Gildarts, Natsu, Erza, 3 GoI (Gene of Interests Gods of Ishgar), Jura, Wahl

Very Strong: Mira, Gray, Gajeel, Sting, Rogue, Minerva, Kagura

Strong: Wendy, Lucy, Juvia

Last edited:

Yunkers

Reaction score
Country
Poland
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yet Ajeel being overconfident was demanding to be the only one to fight ft. August said losing comrades is a bad thing. Ajeel gives him a look asking if August was suggesting he'd have died. Then told August to be careful not to get senile in his old age. Kinda premature to say Laxus would have one shot him.

You need real evidence if you feel that strongly about it. August shielded Ajeel. Did you think August had to put up his strongest shield, or that Ajeel couldn't have covered himself?

Overpowering? Laxus did stop Ajeel's attack, but that doesn't mean they were both going all out. Ajeel was playing around the whole time. And if you say Laxus wasn't serious either, then no real evidence is proven. It would have been sad if Laxus couldn't stop that one attack.

Don't make me look like a Laxus hater. Laxus is one of my favorite characters, but I have to be honest with myself and can't jump to conclusions and say he'd have killed Ajeel with one attack, even though I wish he did.
Laxus didn't even drop a sweat or breathing harder after attacks, it proves that he didn't use full power. We don't know how serious Ajeel was, but he couldn't do anything to Laxus, so he was getting overpowered for sure that point. But actually "he's not serious" is not good argument, that way I can say that Toby Hohorta can defeat Acnologia, but he isn't serious, why not? Ajeel was overpowerd by Laxus it's fact.

EDIT: I wouldn't write another post, 'cause I had to write the same second time. That way you can "prove" everything--even superstrong Toby--but this leads us nowhere. It's doesn't matter if he was serious or not, he couldn't do anything, so he was overpowered.

Last edited: