Question - Do gods exist in the fairy tail universe? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Do gods exist in the fairy tail universe?

EmperorSpriggan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Do they? since the person who put the curse on zeref most be a god right?.

Somewere in the manga its stated his god of death and life but do he really exist?.

Maybe it was some weird black magic that cursed zeref and not a god?..

But if they do exist do u think they will ever show themselfs?

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Somewere in the manga its stated his god of death and life but do he really exist?.

Yeah, apparently there are gods in the Fairy Tail universe; hence, Ankhseram, Ikusa-Tsunagi the War God, and the existence of God Slayers. I think you're talking more about Ankhseram and and how he compares to other gods if there are any. The answer to that is nobody really knows. I don't think Hiro Mashima has focused too much on the Gods nor has he made it clear. It seems like Ankhseram is like the true God which is comparable to the God that most religions have in real life. Ikusa-Tsunagi, on the other hand, seems to be part of a god race which is comparable to the humans, dragons, etc. Then I could be wrong and Ankhseram could be like the Igneel/Acnologia of all the gods while Ikusa-Tsunagi is like Zirconis. I'm not really sure about the hierarchy of gods in FT either so I think we'll just have to wait until we get more information about them from Hiro Mashima unless they were just plot characters and he didn't intend for them to be relevant to the story anyways.

Last edited:

EmperorSpriggan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Yeah, apparently there are gods in the Fairy Tail universe; hence, Ankhseram, Ikusa-Tsunagi the War God, and the existence of God Slayers. I think you're talking more about Ankhseram and and how he compares to other gods if there is any. The answer to that is nobody really knows. I don't ink Hiro Mashima has focused too muchon the Gods nor has he made it clear. It seems like Ankhseram is like the true God which is comparable to the God that most religions have in real life. Ikusa-Tsunagi, on the other hand, seems to be part of a god race which is comparable to the humans, dragons, etc. Then I could be wrong and Ankhseram could be like the Igneel/Acnologia of all the gods while Ikusa-Tsunagi is like Zirconis. I'm not really sure about the hierarchy of gods in FT either so I think we'll just have to wait until we get more information about them from Hiro Mashima unless they were just plot characters and he didn't intend for them to be relevant to the story anyways.

I wish if FT continues after this arc, that they will fight the gods (you just mentioned) that would be kinda cool(and if natsu lives and hopefully has his full etherious powers)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think we can safely make the case that gods do in fact exist in the fairy tail universe. The main and only proof you need is god slayer magic.

Slayer magic works so far by specifically imitating the characteristics and power of the being it is meant to slay. The origin of the magic, whether the actual creature or not, is not relevant to this. God slayers existing has the implication that god slayer magic users take the characteristics and powers of beings at some point referred to as gods to slay gods. The manga is rather uncompromising in this aspect, all slayer magic regardless of whether it is demon slaying, god slaying or dragon slaying works like this.

With this in mind the question is not whether gods exist but rather how the multiple gods we have seen and heard of fit in with one another. Is ankseram real or fictional? Is ikusa-tsunagi the same kind of god as ankseram and which dragon slayers are supposed to defeat (and of course, much weaker than the actual ankseram)?

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
That's a good point God Ankhseram could simply be a myth, and not a being like the war god. I don't mean myth in that it (the curse itself) doesn't exist, but 'God Ankhseram' could just be what humans believe to be the source of the contradiction curse, like a legend. It could end up being the One Magic, and people who were once close to the One Magic or knew what it was revered it like a god and worshiped it. I don't really get into the theories of One Magic or God Ankhseram though, but I am interested what it all means.

I don't want God Ankhseram to be a being like the war god we don't need any more villains imo just keep it Alvarez and Acnologia. God slayers to me I don't care for so they don't need to be relevant plus FT has no god slayers (maybe Erza could be considered a type of god slayer because she uses God armors).

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

I will like to add to my previous post that 'Gods' or at least the word itself has been thrown around a fair bit since the time-skip.

- Yakuma Gods (Ikusatsunagi)
- God Ankhseram
- God Serena
- Erza using Wind God armours
- Ajeel talked about God leaving Isghal (probably referring to God Serena) and then demanded Erza revere him as a God

Those are all I can remember but Mashima has been throwing the concept of God around a bit so not going to say it's unlikely that Gods play a key role in the plot.

Vasgoko

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Yup they exist. In many different forms. As for Ankhseram, he's pretty much a nobody. No personality, no strengths, no weakness. He's the typical guy that sets his laws in place and carries them out.

Dranzer

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
As everyone else in this thread has stated it is evident that Gods do in fact exist in the Fairy Tail universe.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I am not sure if this reply fits this thread properly, but I have one question. Were Zancrow, Orga, and Shellia taught by Gods directly? Where did they get God Slayer magic from? Or they learned GS magic from a book instead? Considering that (correct me if I am wrong) it's Precht who taught Ultear Arc of Time as we know it's a lost magic.

Sorry if I am inquisitive. I would appreciate your favor

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I am not sure if this reply fits this thread properly, but I have one question. Were Zancrow, Orga, and Shellia taught by Gods directly? Where did they get God Slayer magic from? Or they learned GS magic from a book instead? Considering that (correct me if I am wrong) it's Precht who taught Ultear Arc of Time as we know it's a lost magic.

Sorry if I am inquisitive. I would appreciate your favor
Sherria is self taught. Gran Doma gifted her a book containing lost magic and Sherria used that to learn her god slayer magic. For zancrow, it was thanks to hades that he learnt god slayer magic. I don't think hades taught him personally but he probably gave him access to books he could use to learn that. I don't think it was explained how Orga came to possess god slayer magic but if we follow the trend, it's possible he learnt it from a book as well. Doesn't seem like any of them were actually taught by gods

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am not sure if the teacher of the magic is relevant to magic itself. Dragon slayers have dragon force but we don't know if that is related to being taught by a dragon directly.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Sherria is self taught. Gran Doma gifted her a book containing lost magic and Sherria used that to learn her god slayer magic.
Oh so it's Gran Doma who gave Shellia the book. I have to re-read the manga because I totally can't recall it's ever been stated in manga. I often re-watch the anime but I don't remember the episode. Thanks

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Oh so it's Gran Doma who gave Shellia the book. I have to re-read the manga because I totally can't recall it's ever been stated in manga. I often re-watch the anime but I don't remember the episode. Thanks
It is in The Cover Page of Chapter 353.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
One question again. I can't fully understand term "God" in Fairy Tail universe. What does "God" mean"? Are gods really "divine" and invincible? Or "God" is just a title? Since Natsu defeated Ikusatsunagi easily...

Last edited:

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
One question again. I can't fully understand term "God" in Fairy Tail universe. What does "God" mean"? Are gods really "godly" and invincible? Or "God" is just a title? Since Natsu defeated Ikusatsunagi easily...
Ankhseram is What a "God" Should be.But Others I Can't Comment.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I Think We Should Classify The God Slayers as "Second Generation" God Slayers.They have Failed To Show anything Similar To "God Force". As They like 2nd Generation Dragon Slayers are " Fake" or Artificial.Chelia learnt it from a Book Olga may be,Zancrow from Hades Which I Believe Hades learnt from a Book as We have Seen Ultear learning Time Magic from Books.So I Believe If A Real God Teaches God Slaying Magic To a Real Human He will be a "First Generation God Slayer" and may be able to achieve "God Force". A Real God Slayer Should be Stronger than a Dragon Slayer.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Ankhseram is What a "God" Should be.But Others I Can't Comment.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I Think We Should Classify The God Slayers as "Second Generation" God Slayers.They have Failed To Show anything Similar To "God Force". As They like 2nd Generation Dragon Slayers are " Fake" or Artificial.Chelia learnt it from a Book Olga may be,Zancrow from Hades Which I Believe Hades learnt from a Book as We have Seen Ultear learning Time Magic from Books.So I Believe If A Real God Teaches God Slaying Magic To a Real Human He will be a "First Generation God Slayer" and may be able to achieve "God Force". A Real God Slayer Should be Stronger than a Dragon Slayer.
Even if we were to assume there are different generations, your classification doesn't work. Second gen DS aren't called so because they didn't learn directly from dragons, it's because their source is from a lacrima inside them. These god slayers don't have lacrimas as far as we know so technically they'd classify as first gen. There probably just haven't attained the sufficient level to unleash god force, assuming such a phenomenon is even possible

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Even if we were to assume there are different generations, your classification doesn't work. Second gen DS aren't called so because they didn't learn directly from dragons, it's because their source is from a lacrima inside them. These god slayers don't have lacrimas as far as we know so technically they'd classify as first gen. There probably just haven't attained the sufficient level to unleash god force, assuming such a phenomenon is even possible
You didn't get What I Wanted To Mean.2nd Gen Dragon Slayers didn't learn DS Magic From Dragons and Probably That's Why They Can't get DF like First Generation.God Slayers We have so far seen didn't learn it from Real God and may be That's Why They Can't get "God Force".I did not Classify them because of Lacrima's or Books.

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
we know of zerefs curse, and mavis's curse which must be somewhat related to "gods" then there was the war god that natsu defeated (which erza referenced) so the characters know of the war god, or at least some of them, then obviously we have the godslayer magic....

other than that we are still a bit uninformed on the god issue

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
we know of zerefs curse, and mavis's curse which must be somewhat related to "gods" then there was the war god that natsu defeated (which erza referenced) so the characters know of the war god, or at least some of them, then obviously we have the godslayer magic....

other than that we are still a bit uninformed on the god issue
With this in mind I don't think the question is whether god exists but rather their exact nature. Slayer type magic by definition imitates a being in order to destroy said being. On a basic level the user of a slayer type magic takes the constitution of the being in question. In some cases we have seen dragon slayers with scales for instance. Going a tad further the magic itself risks the user transforming into an entirely different species. Such as is the case with acknologia and what we have seen with grey's seemingly hybrid form. God slayer magic existing is proof beyond reasonable doubt that a creature is being immitated through the magic. Slayer type magic does not exist without a creature to imitate (even if the creature is nowadays extinct).

So the important questions in this are:

- Are the gods that god slayers imitate the same as the summon from a while ago?
- Is ankseram a more powerful version of that god?
- Is ankseram real?
- Is god slayer magic related to ankseram or the other god?
- How many creatures are there that are referred to as gods?

Gods exist in FT, that much is unquestionable fact. The issue are the questions I just mentioned and how the gods in FT verse would differ from what each of us perceives as god. It's one thing if they are the "omnipotent and omniscient" type god and another if they are a Greek style pantheon.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I Have a Feeling Ankhseram will be like Truth in FMA:Brotgerhood.He Will Later Forgive Natsu,Zeref,Lucy and of Course Mavis.
With this in mind I don't think the question is whether god exists but rather their exact nature. Slayer type magic by definition imitates a being in order to destroy said being. On a basic level the user of a slayer type magic takes the constitution of the being in question. In some cases we have seen dragon slayers with scales for instance. Going a tad further the magic itself risks the user transforming into an entirely different species. Such as is the case with acknologia and what we have seen with grey's seemingly hybrid form. God slayer magic existing is proof beyond reasonable doubt that a creature is being immitated through the magic. Slayer type magic does not exist without a creature to imitate (even if the creature is nowadays extinct).

So the important questions in this are:

- Are the gods that god slayers imitate the same as the summon from a while ago?
- Is ankseram a more powerful version of that god?
- Is ankseram real?
- Is god slayer magic related to ankseram or the other god?
- How many creatures are there that are referred to as gods?

Gods exist in FT, that much is unquestionable fact. The issue are the questions I just mentioned and how the gods in FT verse would differ from what each of us perceives as god. It's one thing if they are the "omnipotent and omniscient" type god and another if they are a Greek style pantheon.
I Have a Feeling Ankhseram is real.In Chapter 445 Zeref said Ankhseram is in a Good Mood Now.

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I think they did in a very distant past.
As for the present, I don't really know.
Anksheram seems to be the only one who could become relevant in the near future.
My wish is that we will see an epic battle against the gods towards the end of the manga! How epic would that be? :wtf