Going Scanner Shopping; Recommendations? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Going Scanner Shopping; Recommendations?

Baniita

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello~ I need a new scanner since my CanoScan LiDe 210 is apparently refusing to rid itself of scan lines. I've cleaned the damn thing 28529342 times and the faded vertical line won't go away, so I decided it's time for a new one anyway.

Thing is, I need a scanner with a driver with plenty of advanced settings. So I'm looking for recommendations for scanners that are as many of the following as possible:
- "Descreen" or something similar is absolutely essential--basically, so that scanned illustrations don't come out with lines.
- As colour-accurate as possible. With the LiDe, I always have to do manual colour correction despite many calibrations. It's exhausting.
- Preferably edges I can trust to be perfectly 90. with LiDe 210, I had to place my edges half a cm off the edge because I didn't trust the guides to be perfectly 90 degrees, and the paper felt like it was going in the gaps underneath the guides...
- Preferably without any gaps that would let in lint UNDER the glass.
- No auto-crop, or at least the ability to disable that. I never trust that, either.
- Preferably the option to not pick up too much detail in the paper for low-quality printed magazines.
- Book scanner is a bonus.

If I can't find anything better, I guess I'll just go with the LiDe 220 until I can afford an OptikBook or something.

So, any suggestions? Or testimonials for what you guys use.

Last edited:

resonator79

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Don't buy a Canon Lide - at higher resolutions you'll see vertical "lines" going through the scan. I can only guess, but I think the scanning unit itself is constructed out of a number of elements, and that's where they intersect. At least it looks like it.
I'd go for an Epson Perfection Photo. I have an V600 Photo, and it's awesome. Great quality and good speed, even at 1200dpi.

Baniita

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Don't buy a Canon Lide - at higher resolutions you'll see vertical "lines" going through the scan. I can only guess, but I think the scanning unit itself is constructed out of a number of elements, and that's where they intersect. At least it looks like it.
I'd go for an Epson Perfection Photo. I have an V600 Photo, and it's awesome. Great quality and good speed, even at 1200dpi.
I didn't have a problem with the lines until I upgraded to Windows 10 and cleaned the inside of my scanner. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (wistful sigh)
I'll check it out.

edit: How's the colour accuracy, though? / Also, I don't really need a film scanner...
I see a lot of people complaining about the poor quality control and dust underneath the scanner bed. With the LiDe, I can open it up and clean it manually--can I clean this one too, or is it impossible?

Last edited:

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I can't really attest to the quality of V600 since I only have V300, myself, but the scan quality is very good. I haven't encountered any vertical lines so far.
The scanning software has a lot of options, so even if you weren't satisfied with the default color settings, you can just adjust them for yourself.
There's no obvious way to open the scanner to clean it underneath the bed, but I don;t really have problems with dust inside anyway.
The one thing that annoys me about V300 is that because of the film scanner the lid doesn't flatten the pages perfectly. I always end up placing a hardcover book over the pages to achieve flatness. Still, the scanner is amazing for how little I paid for it.