Discussion - I Shall Seal the Heavens (ISSTH) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion I Shall Seal the Heavens (ISSTH)

I Am Atomic

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Introduction to the Story
I Shall Seal the Heavens is currently one of the most popular xianxia stories in China. It is about a failed young scholar named Meng Hao who gets forcibly recruited into a Sect of Immortal Cultivators. In the Cultivation world, the strong prey on the weak, and the law of the jungle prevails. Meng Hao must adapt to survive. And yet, he never forgets the Confucian and Daoist ideals that he grew up studying. This, coupled with his stubborn nature, set him on the path of a true hero. What does it mean to “Seal the Heavens?” This is a secret that you will have to uncover along with Meng Hao!

Reader Reactions and Reviews
“It starts off a bit slow, but it is very interesting. Good fights, and most of the time you … see the MC struggle throughout his battle because he does not have enough power. You don’t see him just suddenly find something rare and immediately power up. It takes time in this novel, and it takes training. He endures it and build upon what he got. This MC [has] morals and logical thoughts. He is aggressive when need to be, and knows when to back down. Smart and capable. He doesn’t get those attributes just because he’s the “MC,” but through decisions he [makes] in life and through hardship, he learns from it… It is my favorite xianxia novel atm, and Deathblade always finish what he started, so I highly recommend this novel to you!” -hitabox

“ISSTH really is different from other Xianxia as it doesn’t seem to repeat itself as much … and it actually has much more comedy than most… I DMR officially give ‘I Shall Seal the Heavens’ the ‘Funniest Xianxia’ Award!!!” – DMR

“Apart from the story’s plot, what I like most is the literary expression in this web novel. The translator does a very good job to convey it very well. Very much appreciated.” – kamolh

“I love Meng Hao. He doesn’t shout, he doesn’t cry. He just stays silent and lets the fury burn inside him as he plans his revenge.” – Kazekid

“Meng Hao is the best, I like his growth and the way the characters are portrayed also I like how his luck is not completely unbelievable and he gets success from well thought out plans and not just stupidly large luck in surviving an all out frontal assault. His reactions are very human as well.” – Augustus63

“Damn, I’m not exaggerating, the story becomes epic. The MC gradually suffers great changes of character and the plot starts making sense; lots of major events take place and a many important changes occur. The MC eventually is forced to run like a dog in front o a pack of wolves – his struggle to survive, him gradually killing his humanity and changing his views of life… I was very surprised by how philosophical some chapters were and how Meng Hao meditated about his life…it was quite deep. There are also some chapters that would probably make you laugh and some scenes where the characters’ pride and stupidity will surely make you unable to keep a straight face.” – orario

“ISSTH starts off kinda slow as contrasted to other mainstream stories where the promise of greatness is the whole premise. Those quick fix stories served as a mean to satiate the masses desire of reading some MC’s OP. ISSTH starts off with a humble foundation and that can get tedious at first because the momentum just isn’t there. It is with shame that, I too, was on the same band wagon and didn’t really get into ISSTH until Meng Hao’s snow monologue. Now I just click the refresh button like a lab rat on methamphetamine till I see a new chapter. Then it’s just pure euphoria follow by withdrawal. It’s a very satisfying vicious cycle.” – ConanTavi

“I don’t know if it’s because of the quality of translation or because of the novel itself, but the more I read it, the more I feel like every other xianxia novel sucks. Maybe it’s related to the speed of releasing, but I feel like Er Gen is simply a better writer than most.” – madstack

“Meng Hao please… I’ve read the tons of novels. But this was hands down the most epic thing I have read in a while. I literally re-read the chapter before opening my door, rushed to the bathroom and dowsed myself in freezing water in the shower. Cuz. Shit. Meng Hao has reached a new level of badassery. I overheated. I’m a legit Meng Hao fangirl now.” – tellestarle

“Once I read a better novel than this. Then I woke up and realized it was a mere dream. If I was about to die and was given the choice of any last meal, that last meal would be to feast my eyes on the latest chapter of ISSTH.” – Deathblade

Link:http://www.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/
About 2 chapters a day

azanimefan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Ming Hao is hands down my favorite MC in ANY Xianxia novel. The nice thing about ISSTH is the humor. The author knows how to set up jokes; build to them over whole books only to hit the punchline 2 or 3 books later after a couple hundred chapters of buildup. Early on it focuses a little too much on pill popping, but otherwise it's a genuine joy to read. This is definitely one of the best Chinese fantasy novels. ISSTH does it by being the "least" like other Xinxia novels. The MC basically drifts through the series with no real goal in life other then to survive, and so the series drifts around a bit in between him ducking varies enemies he ticked off at some point; his desire to get stronger seems almost due to an intellectual curiosity about what it means to be stronger and of course a desire to survive.

Shame there is no real romance in these books, the most romantic this series gets is when Ming Hao and Shan were flirting heavily in Holy Snow City; he should have married her.

Last edited:

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The Migration Arc just keeps getting better. ISSTH and Xian Ni are the best xianxia series out there.

I guess Meng Hao and the Crow Divinity Tribe would still be in trouble even after reaching Black Lands as they have two demon spirits. Spirit Severing cultivators would make trouble for him and in his current condition he can't fight them.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Meng Hao is the biggest con-artist anywhere, in any series! :XD
I imagine that for him and the Crow Divinity tribe to enter the Black Lands (safely) they will have to do a number of things...
1) they will have to team up with that 3rd tribe (can't remember the name)
2) They will have to find some way to hide the 2nd demon spirit that Meng Hao is carrying
3) Meng Hao will have to get the water totem and jump up to Nascent Soul level (5 colour paragon is the title of this season)
4) Once he jumps up to perfect Nascent Soul he can use the tribulation lightning to wipe out the obstructing tribes... of which there are a lot likely.

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
He can't hide the demon spirit from detection. Plus in Black Lands he would face the spirit severing cultivator whom he nearly killed during the snow city arc by using the Agarwood legacy. The spirit severing cultivator said he would take revenge.

Sometimes Meng Hao cons people without his own free will :XD People force him to con them

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
His fight with Patriach Hyuan is epic! With his new power up he might be able to over power the clone but what will he do when the real body comes?

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I think the other Spirit Severing Patriarchs would intervene. They wouldn't want Western Desert to fall in power as they might have to face Southern Domain in the near future.

Plus Patriarch Hyuan wouldn't dare to be reckless again.

My favorite part was how Meng Hao was stealing "Wheel of Time" in life and death crisis

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the other Spirit Severing Patriarchs would intervene. They wouldn't want Western Desert to fall in power as they might have to face Southern Domain in the near future.

Plus Patriarch Hyuan wouldn't dare to be reckless again.

My favorite part was how Meng Hao was stealing "Wheel of Time" in life and death crisis
I don't think they will intervene due to that reason since they are already very weaker than the southern domain. The southern domain has people who are in Dao seeking level.

If Meng Hao defeats Patriach Hyuan then the other three will only try to befriend him since he is so strong. Also considering Meng Hao's personality he will not give up until the Patriach is dead since he killed his clan members. With this other people will undertsand that it is not a good idea to mess with Golden Crow clan.

After this fight is finished I would like to see what Meng Hao will do with the Black Dragon clan.

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I don't think they will intervene due to that reason since they are already very weaker than the southern domain. The southern domain has people who are in Dao seeking level.

If Meng Hao defeats Patriach Hyuan then the other three will only try to befriend him since he is so strong. Also considering Meng Hao's personality he will not give up until the Patriach is dead since he killed his clan members. With this other people will undertsand that it is not a good idea to mess with Golden Crow clan.

After this fight is finished I would like to see what Meng Hao will do with the Black Dragon clan.
The peace which exist between Western Desert and Southern Domain wouldn't last. And I am sure Western Domain also has Dao Seeking experts who are cultivating in secret. Western Desert would want all the power they could get.

Plus Meng Hao has advantage on violet sea but the true body of Patriarch Hyuan is in Black Lands where Meng Hao doesn't have that advantage. Patriach Hyuan wouldn't be stupid enough to challenge Meng Hao again in Violet Sea.

Meng Hao wants revenge for sure but he also knows his limits. He would agree for a temporary truce so that he can get more power.

PS: Why is the 10th Wang Patriach missing from action? If I remember it correctly he said that he would wait till Meng Hao reaches Nascent Soul stage before stealing his cultivation.

I am sure he is a Dao Seeking expert as he was easily able to overpower a spirit severing expert but not immortal as he was trembling from the snot of immortal roc.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
PS: Why is the 10th Wang Patriach missing from action? If I remember it correctly he said that he would wait till Meng Hao reaches Nascent Soul stage before stealing his cultivation.
Well, he was chased off by the Roc that gave Meng Hao the ability to flee with the Roc's ability. That happened when he was first fleeing from the Ji clan. I don't know how determined to steal Meng Hao's body he was after that.

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The peace which exist between Western Desert and Southern Domain wouldn't last. And I am sure Western Domain also has Dao Seeking experts who are cultivating in secret. Western Desert would want all the power they could get.

Plus Meng Hao has advantage on violet sea but the true body of Patriarch Hyuan is in Black Lands where Meng Hao doesn't have that advantage. Patriach Hyuan wouldn't be stupid enough to challenge Meng Hao again in Violet Sea.

Meng Hao wants revenge for sure but he also knows his limits. He would agree for a temporary truce so that he can get more power.

I am sure he is a Dao Seeking expert as he was easily able to overpower a spirit severing expert but not immortal as he was trembling from the snot of immortal roc.
It was said that after he entered seventh anima his divine sense could go up to 29,999 meters while spirit severing can go up to 30,000 meters. So what if Meng Hao get another nascent soul? Then he can enter the eight anima which has the power of 128 nascent soul cultivators which would be enough to be spirit severing level.

The 10th Wang did come and visit Meng Hao when he was at the bottom of the violet sea. It is said that it will take 10,000 years for Meng Hao to wake up from the Demon Transformi.....(dont know the rest). Xu Qing's tear drop woke him up early but the 10th Wang doesn't know that yet. And yes he is Dao seeking.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I don't think there are Dao seeking experst in the Black Land's since the resources they have is very scarce and they rely on their totems for further power ups. But who knows there might be one or two but not many like the southern domain. I am sure that each of the main clan has at least one Dao seeking expert. All the people who are in the rebirth cave should be Dao seeking.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Complete Annihilation of Heavenly Pursuit Tribe! I blame the Patriach lol! He could have had another son and killed him later to get his first complete severing but hell no, he chose the hard way; the way of death by Meng Hao.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Chapter 558 was very shocking! Had a totally unexpected direction for the plot development!

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
@Wowzers LOL! That was a good prank by deadthblade.

I was shocked when Meng Lin made entry as Meng Hao's parents were trying to hide themselves from him (Back in Song Clan's mansion she fooled the Dao Seeking expert by making him believe that her motherly love was directed towards the flower).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
BTW, Did you read the sneak peek of next chapter? It's the most funniest scene in the novel... Meng Hao has fur on his Nascent Soul! Fur! :XD

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Lord Fifth! How did you end up here in the mirror again?

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Er Gen is the most amazing author I have seen in xianxia/wuxia category. Other authors have a fixed format: Training, tournament arcs, character shilling, repeat... Even the training arcs are repetitive. But Er Gen...every arc is different!!

So far I am really liking this new arc. Obviously Meng Hao will get some badass legacies. I hope he helps his big sis.

Big sis is the most awesome side character. She knows her little brother's taste in women :XD

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Er Gen is the most amazing author I have seen in xianxia/wuxia category. Other authors have a fixed format: Training, tournament arcs, character shilling, repeat... Even the training arcs are repetitive. But Er Gen...every arc is different!!

So far I am really liking this new arc. Obviously Meng Hao will get some badass legacies. I hope he helps his big sis.

Big sis is the most awesome side character. She knows her little brother's taste in women :XD
You are right! Each of his arc brings new stuff line into the story and what makes it more interesting is that it is all connected! Also our MC is not the only one who makes abnormal power ups; his sister is half way through Spirit Severing! In the end since he is the MC he has a good foundation and also he is the Ninth Demon Sealer which is what is going to make him OP in the end.

I really like how the story is progressing so far. The host body accquired by Meng Hao has some regrets from past life but Meng Hao will do something which will make Ke Jiusi happier. This might result in Meng Hao getting the best of best from that plane :cheez

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The love a father feels for his child is really like a mountain... These chapters were really amazing. Can't believe xianxia can be so beautiful.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
This whole arc has been great. The emotional ups and downs aren't really what you expect from xianxia. I wonder what a 'Celestial Pill' is? I'll bet he gives it to Ke Jiusi and calls him brother.

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fav part was when Demon Immortal Sect got attacked Ke Jiusu fought and killed many Immortals. Immortal Ji then tells him to bow down and surrender but he doesn't even though he has done it before. "Father, are you proud?" that one sentence gave me all the feels.

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell