Discussion - Gildarts Clive | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Gildarts Clive

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
For starters, Wendy couldn't stand under Bluenote's Gravity. How can she possibly best Gildarts?
Half the guild? That's a pretty outrageous exaggeration. There's a case for Natsu and Laxus, but how exactly are the others above Gildarts (as of the silent chapter)? You do recall Gildarts was still strong enough to toy around with Natsu and send him flying and then scare Natsu shitless after showing a serious attack. And then Gildarts has crash and disassembly which works on both magic and people. That's seriously underestimating Gildarts tbh.
True, wendy couldn't stand when facing bluenote. BUT she also wasn't using dragon force against him and before she could do anything natsu showed up. Wendy without dragon force has shown an impressive level, at least 1 year back we have every reason to think she was at least a match for jubia (as shelia was). Add in further training from that point and the multiplier from dragon force... Also, I didn't say wendy would outright win, I'd say she'd be able to do something. And yes, I do remember natsu being scared shitless. But he also didn't use dragon force (and I am not 100% sure if he used or not lightning flame but that is besides the point). Dragon force gives natsu enough of a boost to be able to keep up with mard geer, whose actual stats were quite high. It's not that absurd that natsu would have been able to hold his ground at least for a bit against gildarts with such a boost had he used it at the time.

Well, but natsu clearly isn't the only one that has powerup up to such a ridiculous extent. If anything the manga requires at least that to continue. We have seen grey sparring more or less evenly with natsu (though I will grant that it was just a spar) and he did pretty well in holding back ajir. Erza did pretty well against ajir in general, she merely getting him to use his full power is more than enough indication that she is easily above above gildarts as we know him. Lucy is the sole reason they even defeated jacob. And she was able to copy marin's magic which specifically implies her magic is above him even though he was a guy capable of negating space time magic literally through all of magnolia. Gajeel being anywhere near natsu would as well imply he is well stronger than gildarts and even if there is a difference he probably has access to dragon force as well which at this point would easily put him above the gildarts we know. Laxus is straight up a match for a springan... Saying half the guild would beat gildarts is hyperbole but at least the relevant fighters in the guild seem to have had dramatic increases in power.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
That's comparing Gildarts durability to Acnologia's offensive power. Obviously the latter far outclasses. But Gildarts durability compared to Serena's is a reasonable one. That's my point. Also, if Acnologia had to use another attack (or with more seriousness) than the first, that's still a plus for Gildarts. Acnologia ripped Igneel but he did that after they had duked it out a fair bit.
That is my point, I can't really tell how durable Gildarts is if I use Acnologia as a feat because it doesn't tell me how strong Gildarts body is, because it's broken. Acnologia lost an arm to Igneel, but I couldn't use that as a feat for Acno's durability, because it was breached completely. They did duke it out compared to Gildarts, though this is because Igneel is a significantly better combatant to any human (not just Gildarts).

We can agree to disagree. I do understand the points you're making, and they are not groundless. It's just a different interpretation.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
It's a big world and the people we used to think were top dogs are far from that.
I do find this to be a fairly relevant point when it comes to the power inflation. Bluenote, Jura and even the GoI are lightweights by general portrayal with respect to current heavyweights. Pre-skip Gildarts, Jellal, Laxus etc would be peers to those lightweights. It doesn't mean these guys can't put up a fight to a Spriggan, just they're not top tiers. To be that, as with Laxus, they'll need to improve.

In the guild I consider Erza to have a legit claim for being above Gildarts(Tartarus). Natsu/Laxus are, but the others have to prove so yet.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I do find this to be a fairly relevant point when it comes to the power inflation. Bluenote, Jura and even the GoI are lightweights by general portrayal with respect to current heavyweights. Pre-skip Gildarts, Jellal, Laxus etc would be peers to those lightweights. It doesn't mean these guys can't put up a fight to a Spriggan, just they're not top tiers. To be that, as with Laxus, they'll need to improve.

In the guild I consider Erza to have a legit claim for being above Gildarts(Tartarus). Natsu/Laxus are, but the others have to prove so yet.
Well, those are the cases that have been more overt, if not explicit, about this. I do think there are at least several people where we could reasonably make a similar claim though. First is grey who has already shown he can spar with natsu and has shown magic at a level high enough to stop the attack of a springan (when he froze ajir's magic). Lucy at the very least with the spirit king should be well able to fight a springan IMO. She fought mard geer to a stalemate a year ago. Even without that she already has a few feats regarding her overall power. She was impressive enough against ajir and used gemini to copy marin's magic which is proof that her magic is at least at marin's level. I don't really see gajeel lagging behind grey to be honest. His role is too important for such a thing. The raijinjishu seem to be a disappointment even though fried was a former s class mage candidate. Lucy seems to have surpassed him since the GMG

Ankhseram

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Seeing all of you talk about Gildarts...I logged in!. >_>

I think Gildarts in his Prime is the strongest character in the series aside from Antagonists. I am saying this based on the little info we got from that Ice Trail Spin off. Gildarts is known to be the strongest in the west i.e., where Kingdom of Fiore is located. Btw...Ice Trail Spin off is cannon. Mashima wrote it and Yusuke drew it.

He is known as "Strongest in the West". I think that is the title he had long once. Most likely before his fight against Acnologia. Sometimes I think.....If there is one in West then what about North, South, East?. So there should be others too, right?. FT would have been a lot better than it is if Mashima build the world from the chapter 1. Anyway.........

Based on the feats alone without 'hype'.....I do agree that Gildarts is no-where-powerful as he was introduced first in the manga. But he fought against Acnologia and survived. That itself is a big achievement. I have some deep analysis of how Gildarts was portrayed so far in the manga. I will post that tomorrow. Now gotta go, exams lol.

btw......Am I the only one or does anyone thinking that Mashima won't introduce Gildarts in this arc too?. I feel like Gildarts will fight against END and will die.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Seeing all of you talk about Gildarts...I logged in!. >_>

I think Gildarts in his Prime is the strongest character in the series aside from Antagonists. I am saying this based on the little info we got from that Ice Trail Spin off. Gildarts is known to be the strongest in the west i.e., where Kingdom of Fiore is located. Btw...Ice Trail Spin off is cannon. Mashima wrote it and Yusuke drew it.

He is known as "Strongest in the West". I think that is the title he had long once. Most likely before his fight against Acnologia. Sometimes I think.....If there is one in West then what about North, South, East?. So there should be others too, right?. FT would have been a lot better than it is if Mashima build the world from the chapter 1. Anyway.........

Based on the feats alone without 'hype'.....I do agree that Gildarts is no-where-powerful as he was introduced first in the manga. But he fought against Acnologia and survived. That itself is a big achievement. I have some deep analysis of how Gildarts was portrayed so far in the manga. I will post that tomorrow. Now gotta go, exams lol.

btw......Am I the only one or does anyone thinking that Mashima won't introduce Gildarts in this arc too?. I feel like Gildarts will fight against END and will die.
What do you mean about gildarts in his prime? I don't think there is any reason to think that the gildarts we have seen so far is anything short of gildarts in his prime. Or are you implying he was stronger before? I don't think we have any reason to think that.

To be honest I don't see gildarts fighting end. Well, it is an scenario that could conceivably happen but there is no plot related reason to be a thing. As in, there is no connection between the characters... It's as arbitrary as saying, say jose, fighting him. In any case there isn't any plot related reason for this to happen. I am curious to see what mashima will do with gildarts. If he is already at his peak then there really is no reason for him to show up. If he has gotten stronger he could resume his position as joker card to beat arbitrarily powerful enemies. Though laxus seems to already have that covered.

Ankhseram

Reaction score
Country
India
What do you mean about gildarts in his prime? I don't think there is any reason to think that the gildarts we have seen so far is anything short of gildarts in his prime. Or are you implying he was stronger before? I don't think we have any reason to think that.

To be honest I don't see gildarts fighting end. Well, it is an scenario that could conceivably happen but there is no plot related reason to be a thing. As in, there is no connection between the characters... It's as arbitrary as saying, say jose, fighting him. In any case there isn't any plot related reason for this to happen. I am curious to see what mashima will do with gildarts. If he is already at his peak then there really is no reason for him to show up. If he has gotten stronger he could resume his position as joker card to beat arbitrarily powerful enemies. Though laxus seems to already have that covered.
I am looking at this like this way>>>Gildarts lost a Leg and Hand against Acnologia<<<So I simply put it that Gildarts is weaker compared to how he was in his fight against Acnologia. That way.

Well....Natsu and Gildarts have very good relationship. Like friends, Like a father and son. So if Natsu becomes END and goes berserk then Gildarts might come and fight him to only die in his hands. I put that END Vs Natsu secnario this way.

Also I have a thought that it was August who treated injured Gildarts in his fight against Acnologia at Zonia mountains. I just feel like that if Gildarts is to fight August in this arc.

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
True, wendy couldn't stand when facing bluenote. BUT she also wasn't using dragon force against him and before she could do anything natsu showed up. Wendy without dragon force has shown an impressive level, at least 1 year back we have every reason to think she was at least a match for jubia (as shelia was). Add in further training from that point and the multiplier from dragon force... Also, I didn't say wendy would outright win, I'd say she'd be able to do something. And yes, I do remember natsu being scared shitless. But he also didn't use dragon force (and I am not 100% sure if he used or not lightning flame but that is besides the point). Dragon force gives natsu enough of a boost to be able to keep up with mard geer, whose actual stats were quite high. It's not that absurd that natsu would have been able to hold his ground at least for a bit against gildarts with such a boost had he used it at the time.
Well last time we saw someone who couldn't stand under Bluenote's Gravity (Natsu), Gildarts MP was enough to scare him into submission. Even DF Wendy wouldn't be much trouble for Gildarts. Again, this was somehow who was well capable of just needing hand to hand against Natsu (who used his flames) and still show he was the obvious superior. Natsu only managed to push him back a bit, he was completely unscathed asides that and he wasn't even using Crash, not to mention if he decided to use that with seriousness. Wendy is nowhere near strong enough to take on Gildarts, DF or no.

Well yeah, Natsu likely would've held his ground a bit, but it ultimately wouldn't have changed much. The fact that Natsu was actually scared implies that he realized that there's still a ton of difference between them.

Well, but natsu clearly isn't the only one that has powerup up to such a ridiculous extent. If anything the manga requires at least that to continue. We have seen grey sparring more or less evenly with natsu (though I will grant that it was just a spar) and he did pretty well in holding back ajir. Erza did pretty well against ajir in general, she merely getting him to use his full power is more than enough indication that she is easily above above gildarts as we know him. Lucy is the sole reason they even defeated jacob. And she was able to copy marin's magic which specifically implies her magic is above him even though he was a guy capable of negating space time magic literally through all of magnolia. Gajeel being anywhere near natsu would as well imply he is well stronger than gildarts and even if there is a difference he probably has access to dragon force as well which at this point would easily put him above the gildarts we know. Laxus is straight up a match for a springan... Saying half the guild would beat gildarts is hyperbole but at least the relevant fighters in the guild seem to have had dramatic increases in power.
Freed also cast jutsu Shiki around magnolia but one can hardly say he's Gildarts match in power or MP.
Indeed the main fighters all got big boosts, but even someone like Bluenote has MP relevant enough to restrict someone of Wendy's caliber with ease. Gildarts showed he can not only match Bluenote under his Gravity but best him. And then using Crash gave him a pretty huge victory. Plus there's the bit about crash being able to break other magic...

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well last time we saw someone who couldn't stand under Bluenote's Gravity (Natsu), Gildarts MP was enough to scare him into submission. Even DF Wendy wouldn't be much trouble for Gildarts. Again, this was somehow who was well capable of just needing hand to hand against Natsu (who used his flames) and still show he was the obvious superior. Natsu only managed to push him back a bit, he was completely unscathed asides that and he wasn't even using Crash, not to mention if he decided to use that with seriousness. Wendy is nowhere near strong enough to take on Gildarts, DF or no.

Well yeah, Natsu likely would've held his ground a bit, but it ultimately wouldn't have changed much. The fact that Natsu was actually scared implies that he realized that there's still a ton of difference between them.

Freed also cast jutsu Shiki around magnolia but one can hardly say he's Gildarts match in power or MP.
Indeed the main fighters all got big boosts, but even someone like Bluenote has MP relevant enough to restrict someone of Wendy's caliber with ease. Gildarts showed he can not only match Bluenote under his Gravity but best him. And then using Crash gave him a pretty huge victory. Plus there's the bit about crash being able to break other magic...
True, but the power wendy has shown with dragon force is likely superior to the power natsu has even with lightning flame. Consider the information we have about tartarus members keyes, ezel and torafusar. We have more than enough reason to think wendy is comparable jubia who ended up overpowering keyes. And the information mashima has released suggests ezel, torafuzar and tempester are roughly comparable and provide us with some good measure of how keyes compared. With this in mind, it is easy to make the point that dragon force at the time made wendy about comparable to lightning flame natsu or iron shadow gajeel. Which shows how much of a boost dragon force is. Wendy merely being at the same level natsu was during the GMGs would be enough for her to do what I have been suggesting considering the ease with which she uses dragon force. Natsu managed to push back mard geer even though he was on the last of his strength. And such an increase in power would seem to be less than what other fairy tail members have gotten.

Cat Sidhe26

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I was rereading IT and re watching some episodes from the first anime I noticed that Gildarts scars on the right side of his chest are surgical scars and when rereading IT vol 1 those scars weren't there before. So which means Gildarts had some kind of surgery after after he was attacked by Acnologia. Which means someone did help Gildarts after he was attacked by Acnologia since it would be impossible for Gildarts to get any kind of since surgery when he was hundreds of miles away from any kind of town or city unless someone help Gildarts. Judging the fact Gildarts's surgical scars are on the right side of his chest and we didn't see what happened on Mt. Saint Zona and IT confirmed that Gildarts always had those bandages on his abdomen and seeing where the surgical scars were on Gildarts's right chest and the fact the heart is in the left chest area of the human body. Gildarts's heart would not be damaged and would only lose his right lung as well as most of the ribs on his right side would be shattered and Gildarts would needed a lung and liver transplant. Seeing the locations surgical scars are with one of the surgical scars is on Gildarts's right chest area and the other is on both his right chest and right abdomen and seeing where the surgical scars are and the fact the heart is in the left chest area of the human body Gildarts's heart would not be damaged and would only lose his right lung and his liver as well as most of the ribs on his right side would be shattered. So which means Gildarts must have got a lung and liver transplant and judging the fact that organ transplants have a long waiting list with some people dying before they get the organ transplant they need and that the surgical scars look recent. Means Gildarts must had some kind of surgery possibly sometime within 6 months or a 1 year time frame before he returned to the guild and in fact there are a number of organs you can live without.
http://www.livescience.com/27896-pope-one-lung-organs-you-can-live-without.html
http://io9.gizmodo.com/356738/how-many-of-your-internal-organs-can-you-live-without
http://www.empowher.com/wellness/content/7-organs-you-can-live-without
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/33d23u/how_many_internal_organs_can_be_removed_from_a/

Last edited:

john ellis

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
it's unlikley gildarts could defeat a FDKM natsu, gildarts is probably high spriggan tier, maybe slightly below august. But i think FDKM has better feats sheer power and even speed than gildarts. Gildarts could probably beat a non dragon force laxus(not entirly sure if he has one) high def, probably lose to crazy eye power erza(via hype) but defeat her without it. Anyone else is gonna be mostly folder to gildarts.

the way i see it is august>irene=gildarts
the gap between august and irene is very so slight but enough i think august is stronger.
and i think irene will fight gildarts and lose for plot reasons but i think they're on par.
and that once mastery of her 'new' powers erza>irene

for example i believe this is the powerlevels of this arc

tier 1: ancologia
tier 2: fkdm natsu. zeref
tier 3: august, irene, gildarts
tier 4: erza, laxus, gray, the sprrigan 12, lucy may belong her if she solos a sprrigan, gajeel, jellel
tier 5: more likely lucy, savertooth, kagura, wendy, cherry lyon
tier 6 fodder

Last edited:

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
it's unlikley gildarts could defeat a FDKM natsu, gildarts is probably high spriggan tier, maybe slightly below august. But i think FDKM has better feats sheer power and even speed than gildarts. Gildarts could probably beat a non dragon force laxus(not entirly sure if he has one) high def, probably lose to crazy eye power erza(via hype) but defeat her without it. Anyone else is gonna be mostly folder to gildarts.

the gap between august and irene is very so slight but enough i think august is stronger.
and i think irene will fight gildarts and lose for plot reasons but i think they're on par.

tier 4: erza, laxus, gray, the sprrigan 12, lucy may belong her if she solos a sprrigan, gajeel, jellel
tier 6 fodder
Laxus and Natsu NEED to be in teir 3 together. No way FDKM Natsu is 2 twirs higher than Laxus and no way Natsu is above August.

Just my take. I agree with everything else.

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

tier 6 fodder
Lol what do you seriously think Gildarts is at the same level as Irene, who is the strongest female mage? Gildarts isn't even as strong as Laxus and Jellal. There is no way that FDKM Natsu could be stronger than August and Irene lol. He is fodder compared to them. FDKM Natsu isn't even Spriggan tier since he didn't solo Jacob. Laxus and Jellal are.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol what do you seriously think Gildarts is at the same level as Irene, who is the strongest female mage? Gildarts isn't even as strong as Laxus and Jellal. There is no way that FDKM Natsu could be stronger than August and Irene lol. He is fodder compared to them. FDKM Natsu isn't even Spriggan tier since he didn't solo Jacob. Laxus and Jellal are.
FDKM isn't Spriggan teir? You honeatly think that?

Actually nevermind, this isnt a Natsu thread.

Heeroaku

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your forgetting the pure destructive power Gildarts and Natsu actually have, Example Gildarts stamps his foot into the ground a mountain gets destroyed, Natsu exerts the heat just from his body everything in the surrounding area including magic just melts-away. Do you see why you comment is pointless yet, even Zeref himself said he's the only capable of fighting Natsu when he had full access to Igneels power. At the moment it still appears Natsu is able to retain the same level of power that FDKM bought so let's just wait and see.

Siddz1988

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
On what basis are you assuming that Gildarts isn't as strong as Laxus or Jellal? He has not been shown in action since a long while. 2ndly, FDKM Natsu did not even get a chance to fight Jacob w/o interruptions or the guild being held hostage. So assuming that he is not as strong is not exactly accurate, but considering that Jellal and Laxus were already established as stronger than Natsu, only on that basis he is still weaker than them. And don't forget Natsu has a Cheat Mode END... so once that is active he would pawn jellal and laxus 1v2..... It's not logic but Hiro Mashima Cheat for Erza and team members.

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Your forgetting the pure destructive power Gildarts and Natsu actually have, Example Gildarts stamps his foot into the ground a mountain gets destroyed, Natsu exerts the heat just from his body everything in the surrounding area including magic just melts-away. Do you see why you comment is pointless yet, even Zeref himself said he's the only capable of fighting Natsu when he had full access to Igneels power. At the moment it still appears Natsu is able to retain the same level of power that FDKM bought so let's just wait and see.
Okay so you think Irene = Gildarts as well? I said Gildarts isn't a top Spriggan tier which seems like a fact to me. Yeah, Gildarts destroyed a mountain and Natsu evaporated a lake. So what? That doesn't proof me they're stronger than the strongest. Natsu couldn't solo Jacob and Irene/August >>>>>>> Jacob.

On what basis are you assuming that Gildarts isn't as strong as Laxus or Jellal? He has not been shown in action since a long while. 2ndly, FDKM Natsu did not even get a chance to fight Jacob w/o interruptions or the guild being held hostage. So assuming that he is not as strong is not exactly accurate, but considering that Jellal and Laxus were already established as stronger than Natsu, only on that basis he is still weaker than them. And don't forget Natsu has a Cheat Mode END... so once that is active he would pawn jellal and laxus 1v2..... It's not logic but Hiro Mashima Cheat for Erza and team members.
Do you actually think Gildarts surpassed himself? It's not like you get stronger the older you get. Laxus and Jellal haven't reach their prime yet. Don't tell me you think FDKM Natsu = Laxus/Jellal. Both Laxus and Jellal will oneshot him the same way they defeated their Spriggan.

Don't start about END now, we didn't saw anything from it yet. But yeah, I could believe that END = Zeref.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so you think Irene = Gildarts as well? I said Gildarts isn't a top Spriggan tier which seems like a fact to me. Yeah, Gildarts destroyed a mountain and Natsu evaporated a lake. So what? That doesn't proof me they're stronger than the strongest. Natsu couldn't solo Jacob and Irene/August >>>>>>> Jacob.

Do you actually think Gildarts surpassed himself? It's not like you get stronger the older you get. Laxus and Jellal haven't reach their prime yet. Don't tell me you think FDKM Natsu = Laxus/Jellal. Both Laxus and Jellal will oneshot him the same way they defeated their Spriggan.

Don't start about END now, we didn't saw anything from it yet. But yeah, I could believe that END = Zeref.
And Natsu could one shot them with FDKM Demolition Fist that has taken down both a Spriggan and A God, going by that logic. All 3 of their attack power is arguably equal

Heeroaku

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
you completely avoided the fact that Natsu can burn anyones magic into nothing and your also forgetting Gildarts crash magic can destroy magical attacks in a similar way. Natsu can solo Jacob just not when they're standing in the middle of the guild hall. Why else do you think Natsu was smiling when Makarov threw him out of the building, he could get things done without having to hold back. Even makarov knew that and he hadn't seen natsu's power.
Irene isn't really a problem because they can just point out the fact that she's going to destroy everything her daughter loves, that'll stop her dead in her tracks provided she still thinks Erza might be dead.

john ellis

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I honestly think Irene is slightly stronger than current gildarts, I think they will fight gildarts will be losing state that he is rusty. Than beat her with a power up(returning to his prime slightly

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
you completely avoided the fact that Natsu can burn anyones magic into nothing and your also forgetting Gildarts crash magic can destroy magical attacks in a similar way. Natsu can solo Jacob just not when they're standing in the middle of the guild hall. Why else do you think Natsu was smiling when Makarov threw him out of the building, he could get things done without having to hold back. Even makarov knew that and he hadn't seen natsu's power.
Irene isn't really a problem because they can just point out the fact that she's going to destroy everything her daughter loves, that'll stop her dead in her tracks provided she still thinks Erza might be dead.
When is it ever stated he can burn magic?

Natsu can't solo Jacob since he'd die within the first view seconds thanks to Transport. It doesn't matter if the fight was in the Guild Hall, because he still needed Lucy's and Happy's help.