Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 39 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RafaFedKilla

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a strange urge to read Doctor Prisoner. Maybe it is because I'm one of the few supporters of the artist's first work, Retriever Hachi.

Deathinteresse

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have a strange urge to read Doctor Prisoner. Maybe it is because I'm one of the few supporters of the artist's first work, Retriever Hachi.
it was okay I guess
I somehow think this series is more suited for bessatsu shounen magazine than wsm

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I decided to read Enen no Shouboutai (even though I don't like reading scans) and I have to say, why the hate? It's no where near as bad or generic as Black Clover. While I dislike fan-service I find the story and the action to make up for it. I could see some people disliking Ohkubo's writing style though; how he likes to interject comedy/ecchi into serious fights to lighten the mood up. However, he's been doing this since Soul Eater. My only complaint is the obvious building of a harem for the main character. What's with this trend in manga lately that every main character has to have several girls fall for him? At least it's not done as blatantly here as it is in Black Clover. I think Enen no Shouboutai is quite good, very creative and the backgrounds/architecture really create and interesting world. I'll most likely pick up the volumes because this series is really fun!
I can handle random shonen powerups, but the dropping point for me was whatshisname winning a fight because he literally forgot which hand he was supposed to be holding his sword in. Even I have my limits.
I still read the whole magazine so I see random pages when speeding through it to get to the stuff I want to read, haven't seen anything so far to make me want to pick it back up.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought that was hilarious. That fits in perfectly with Arthur's character.
Can't really say I'm a fan of his character either to be honest. It really just felt like stuff was happening because the author felt like it would check off some shonen trope, like stupid rival, girl who ends up in TLR situations, brown girl who inexplicably wants to get in MC's pants now.
Funnily enough, Vector Ball is kind of having the opposite problem where I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on and the author knows he can get away with not explaining shit.

UFOCat

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is Shonen Edge doing okay, sales wise?

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Print issue is 20,000

UFOCat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is that like, good?

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is that like, good?
Pretty low print run for a magazine, but they must have decided on that before launching it. It's by no means popular though, pretty much all it has going for it is Nekogahara.

DeidaraGrimmjow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty low print run for a magazine, but they must have decided on that before launching it. It's by no means popular though, pretty much all it has going for it is Nekogahara.
Are you sure it even has that? Nekogahara didn't even make the top 50 with it's first volume if I'm not mistaken.

UFOCat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well if its not Nekogahara it's Marchen.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you sure it even has that? Nekogahara didn't even make the top 50 with it's first volume if I'm not mistaken.
Eh, I personally thought it was crap but figured I should give the magazine at least one thing. I liked Frontline of the Oath, but mostly just because I already liked the artist's first series and not enough to actually buy the magazine.

Oberon

Reaction score
Country
Italy

Magazine #28 (08/06):
Daiya no Ace (Cover & Lead Color Page, 28 pg.)

Nanatsu no Taizai
Dr. Prisoner (46 pg.)
Ahiru no Sora (Color Page)

Infection
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Baby Steps
Vector Ball
Real Account
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Fairy Tail
Hoshino、Me o Tsubutte。
Area no Kishi (Color Page, 25 pg.)
Kamisama no Iuutori II
Enen no Shouboutai
Fuuka
Days
Domestic na Kanojo
Acma:Game
UQ Holder!
Muteki no Hito (Moved to Magazine Pocket)
Tsurezure Children
Hajime no Ippo (Absent)
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R (Absent)

#29:
Cover: Rena Matsui
Lead CP: Baby Steps (23 pg.)
CP: Days, Hajime no Ippo
Extra Pages: Dr. Prisoner (35 pg.)

Last edited:

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
RIP Muteki no Hito. Though I guess it should have been pretty obvious when everyone started pulling Akagi level hands out of nowhere. Last week's "twist" was also quite possibly one of the stupidest ones I've ever seen, but I imagine they would have known about the move before that so it couldn't have been the reason.

Yaiba

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Muteki no Hito is a good manga, but I think that this manga would work best in Young Magazine or other seinen magazine. I'm not Japanese... I can't use Magazine Pocket... So I have to wait for someone to upload all volumes :(

Really ends or continue in Magazine Pocket like Winner's Circle e Youkoso in Tonari no Young Jump? Next chapter will be available on June 15th.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Muteki no Hito is a good manga, but I think that this manga would work best in Young Magazine or other seinen magazine. I'm not Japanese... I can't use Magazine Pocket... So I have to wait for someone to upload all volumes :(

Really ends or continue in Magazine Pocket like Winner's Circle e Youkoso in Tonari no Young Jump? Next chapter will be available on June 15th.
It's not ending, just moving. I wouldn't count on it lasting too long though, if it were doing well it'd still be in WSM, plus the basic plot doesn't really lend itself that well to going that long unless some new stuff happens.
I was able to get Magazine Pocket running by just manually installing the file, but you'd probably need an Android to do that. At least they don't have the series themselves region locked in addition to the app like Manga One does. Now all that's left to see is if I actually care enough to read the new Muteki chapters on there. ...Probably not.

Yaiba

Reaction score
Country
Spain
It's not ending, just moving. I wouldn't count on it lasting too long though, if it were doing well it'd still be in WSM, plus the basic plot doesn't really lend itself that well to going that long unless some new stuff happens.
I was able to get Magazine Pocket running by just manually installing the file, but you'd probably need an Android to do that. At least they don't have the series themselves region locked in addition to the app like Manga One does. Now all that's left to see is if I actually care enough to read the new Muteki chapters on there. ...Probably not.
I hope a good ending. And I also hope to continue Winner's Circle e Youkoso with more longer chapters... not 6 pages for chapter... It's a shame it takes to find (or not be licensed) their work outside Japan (at least in Spain, which only arrived 4 volumes of Liar Game...)

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
Magazine Pocket is really starting to turn into something beautiful.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Magazine Pocket is really starting to turn into something beautiful.
Honestly, I wish they'd just make the series digital exclusive instead of tying it to the app. I get that Pocket comes with a ton of extra stuff if you buy it there, but it worked for Edge and other magazines like Ultra Jump and Jump SQ have digital exclusives regardless of where you buy them.

Ravellino

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kindaichi would not back in this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.