Discussion - Fairy Tail Power Ranking Thread | Page 70 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Fairy Tail Power Ranking Thread

Which side are you on?

• Team Spriggan 12

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Team Diabolos/Dragon Eaters

Votes: 41 50.0%

• Total voters

GokuSSJG

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Some are above, some are below, but overall yes. What is your point?
when someones says that Ajeel is the weakest of them all and yet all of them are relatively equal except August and Irene who are on completely different level.

Char

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
when someones says that Ajeel is the weakest of them all and yet all of them are relatively equal except August and Irene who are on completely different level.
The fact Ajeel had no apparent hax does not make of him the weakest Spriggan. He had supperb martial abilities, top notch reaction speed and speed, durability, strength (blocked single-handedly a jupiter), he could create sand giants, assimilate into the sand (hiding, escaping, surprising the enemy) and most importantly: he's both partially intangible and can drain your water until you die. Oh, and he has absurdly vast ammounts of MP (similarly to most other spriggans) with which he can cover an entire city in a sandstorm.

Ajeel is a beast...

GokuSSJG

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
The fact Ajeel had no apparent hax does not make of him the weakest Spriggan. He had supperb martial abilities, top notch reaction speed and speed, durability, strength (blocked single-handedly a jupiter), he could create sand giants, assimilate into the sand (hiding, escaping, surprising the enemy) and most importantly: he's both partially intangible and can drain your water until you die. Oh, and he has absurdly vast ammounts of MP (similarly to most other spriggans) with which he can cover an entire city in a sandstorm.

Ajeel is a beast...
yeah I know.its weird when people say that he is one of the weakest.

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sooo..... Gajeel is Spriggan level confirmed?

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'd say the only spriggan tiers are Laxus, Jellal and Igneel Natsu.

I don't think even BDKM Natsu is spriggan-tier (he only defeated Jacob because of Lucy, Maky and Happy).

I'd say DF Gajeel is the closer to spriggan tier than anyone (except for Laxus, Jellal and Igneel Natsu); I just consider Bradman's durability not enough to state such a thing...

But yeah, around there.

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I wouldn't say so. He still needed help from Levy to survive multiple of Bradman's attacks.

The only Spriggan tiers at the moment are Laxus and Jellal. The others didn't proof it.

Tinitus

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Well gee I'm sorry you gave me the wrong chapter number -_-

How is yelling the name confusing? If anything, it makes things a lot easier for the reader to understand. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler if we knew that Natsu was entering a mode whenever he yelled it? If the names of the attacks were the only thing that indicates a certain mode, why would Mashima have him yell his mode in the first place? What you are saying is much more confusing than what I am, because you're saying there are special circumstances and different rules for each mode and whatnot whereas I just have a simple rule that applies to everything.

Dude are u serious? Gajeel DOES yell his mode when he goes ISD...

Why wouldn't Natsu be able to use Igneel's power at base form? We already know he spent 10 months learning how to unleash that power, so it's perfectly reasonable that Natsu doesn't have to go FDKM to use it.

Yea there's a difference between one element and two. So? Why does that matter at all? In both cases it's Natsu drawing out inner power to give himself a boost. The only difference is whether he's adding lightning, or if he's just adding more fire.
Ah yeah, I meant Chapter 483. One of the websites had it noted as chapter 484.

It's confusing because we wouldn't know which mode the character is in. Spell name is enough to warrant which mode the character is in unless it's obvious as in a physical characteristic chance in the characters look when he or she in the mode they are in in. It would be too silly for a character to state which mode he's in, when a spell and the character's aura in their intensity and profound level being more than enough. Natsu was profound, serious and released a FDKM spell against Wargod, that means he was in the mode and wasn't even close to being Base level. We are talking about a War God here, not a fodder. Natsu would be using his FDKM mode to exert this much power, this is the same character that surprised both Gray, Natsu and Erza when he was released, and he has mountain level DC.

Are you serious? He does NOT always yell his mode when he goes ISD. When he saved Levy from Tora, he didn't announce that he went ISD,but we understood that he's in his ISD mode because of his change of appearance in his eyes.

a luxury Base Natsu-LDF Natsu doesn't have. What about Wendy in DF? Does she yell out her mode?

Because he would too much for Natsu to be using it without pushing and extending himself to the new level. You think Base Natsu can handle Igneel the king of dragons and a top tier in his base mode? That is overvaluing Natsu and hyping him too much. We know he spent 10 months unleashing that level of power in his FDKM mode. It's unrealistic to expect him to use Igneel's magical reserves in his base mode. The simple matter is Natsu used LFDM mode from the start of the match when he wrapped and revealed his dragon eblem signifying the essense of Igneel's MP being distributed in him. Natsu announcing LFDM Mode means he's going to pour all of his+Igneel's magical reserves into taking Zeref down. That's all there is to it.

It does matter. There needs to be hints of compatibility for two elements to reach for a character to enter a mode. Pure mode like fire doesn't need to expand upon.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
It is still hard for me to understand that some people consider Base Gray Ur's equal or even slightly superior based on feats, when they were spamming casual attacks and Ur's were all superior to Gray's. And based on that difference during the battle, Ur claimed they were a long way to go before they could reach her level :S

Ur has always been Wizard Saint tier and, although this title (as almost any title Mashima has invented) has lost most of its credibility, the portrayal of Wizard Saints was always great. For example, Mira (or Erza, I don't remember) once argued it would take the both of them to beat Jura, and even then, it wasn't clear if they'd take the win. If Ur was on Jura's level that means Ur equals to GMG Mira and GMG Erza so saying current base Gray could beat her is well, a bit exaggerated IMO. But I'm fine with it, maybe you're right, it's just that I see differently.

BTW: If you take a close look at the image, base Natsu's attack's reach is probably greater than DeS Gray's :O (not implying anything, just saying).
Ul's attacks were NOT casual. She released Ice Rosen Chrone which is one of her stronger attacks in her disposal, something her own daughter was desperate to use. What she shown far feat-wise is her strongest attacks. Gray on the other hand released only one single casual attack in IM Geyser, and other no-named ices. He was trying to hold Ul back, and motivate Lyon. Besides, this character didn't even resemble Ul in personality. Base Gray is well ahead of Ur now through CR implications.

Ul was only hyped to be Wizard Saint tier by an outsider, not classified as such. She has shown no feats where it's indicated that she's even in Wizard saint. Her best feats were against a guy who was holding back his power by a very good margin and not going all out, and a guy who was emotionally out of it. Current Base Gray>GMG Mira. Tartaros Base Gray and Tartaros Mira were on the same level as each other in feats. There's no exaggeration in that, if there is you need to have proof for the statements you make.

Greater size and reach doesn't indicate greater attack potency.

1. Prove this was the case
2. Gray took the battle seriously all along. When was it implied that he didn't?
3. Yes, demonizing is stronger. However, I'm not the one claiming Gray went all out, I'm saying he mid-diffed Ur. Ice Devil's Zero Longsword is still one of Gray's best spells.
4. I never said I didn't believe Gray couldn't take out Ur by himself. I said he couldn't solo Ur in base mode, which he didn't.[

True, but where was it said that Gray held back? "You've moved past everything, haven't you? The long road you've taken has taken you beyond Ur". This implies that Gray has surpassed Ur. This doesn't imply he was holding back, much less that he was holding back immensely.
1. Base Gray has superior feats than Ul. Gray has annointed several times indirectly that Lyon needs to overcome Ul. Near the conclusion of the fight, that was made even more evident when Gray emphasized for Lyon to reach the new level and grow.

2. He was more focused on getting Lyon to overcome the hurdle rather than fighting Ur because Lyon had no confidence in himself. Was he serious in doing that? Ofcourse. Was he serious in fighting Ur? Not really especially when he all did was launch one of his weaker spells in his arsenal (Geyser) and tanked all of Ur's hits.

3. I agree, Longsword is one of his best spells in his Base mode using DeS, but he oneshotted her (with Lyon's assistance). Had both of them gone seriously even in their respective base modes, this would've been a low diff fight for them.

4. He didn't solo in his Base mode for preferences only, he was more interested in getting Lyon to do some of the work for character development purposes rather than solo Ul. He coulve easily told Lyon to back off and let him take care of it. Stripping is a sign of being serious. Neither Gray nor Lyon stripped at all when they fought Ur. When Gray stripped he oneshotted Rufus. Which adds ammo to my claim that Gray was holding back immensely in his base mode.

Yes, this essentially implies that Base Gray has surpassed Ul. Do you agree or deny that Base Gray can defeat Ur? Let's reach a middle ground here for argument sakes, would you willing to accept low-mid difficulty to how the fight was reached?

As many people claim here, you make your own assumptions and you believe them to be true and strong arguments, while you believe mine to be flawed, inaccurate, and even hypocritical. Well, that's your problem, not mine.

Saying we've plenty of proof that BASE Gray has surpassed Ur (as in, the Gray that cannot eat her ice, or cannot slay a demon) is just "flawed, innaccurate, straw-men, a red herring and a fallacy". Ur is a tier (if not more) above base Gray.

I'm not the one overhyping Natsu here, you are the one overhyping Gray. That they've always been classed as equals on portrayal doesn't mean it'll be that way here in Alvarez. Natsu's made MASSIVE improvements in that year gap, whereas Gray has done reasonably good improvements as far as we could see. If we do not take into account their small false brawl, which is not a feat nor a portrayal of anything at all, Natsu's base flames have improved in terms of power and control to the extent they outclass anything Gray's shown to this point.

Saying Natsu could one-shot BN is not overhyping Natsu (he actually did that!), saying Gray could oneshot BN is overhyping Gray. I mean, you're clearly a Gray fan and it is only natural that you have a tendency to hype him and defend him over other characters. I'm no fan of either so my opinion is rather impartial and based on what I've seen on their development.

Clearly, making such statements makes us less ignorant (if we were ignorant to begin with) and makes you look like you don't know what to say to defend your arguments. What cannot be defended, cannot be defended. You're making yourself look ignorant, a few users have noticed that already. Please stop doing this.

Just one point I'd like to clarify is that I'm not a Natsu fanboy. In fact I don't really like Natsu that much. Actually. I would probably choose Gray over Natsu. But it seems we have a difference of opinion and that doesn't mean either of us is more ignorant than the other. We see differencies in the facts, we interpret them differently and we come out with different conclusions. There's no need to call anyone an ignorant or worse.

He makes sense because his interpretation of the events makes sense. But he could make much more sense if he sticked to the argument and stopped spamming "natsu tards", "ignorants" and things like that :) Then I'd gladly have read all his following arguments but I had to stop due to the disrespect.
We just had a crunchyroll implication show us that Base Gray surpassed Ur. Are you going to deny what is shown in the manga now? What has Ur shown that she's above him? All she did was release her main arsneal of power, and those attacks were still tanked. Where's the flaw? Where's the inaccuracy? Where's the exagerration from my posts? Copying me makes you even more hypocritical. What has Ur shown to be above Base Gray especially a tier? SHe was only HYPED to be Low Wizard Saint tier (A tier Erza was hyped in the TOH Aarc). There's a difference between hype and classification. Jura is classified as Wizard Saint, Ur was hyped by Siegrain to be one. All of this events describe that Gray was mentally strong enough to surpass Ur. Physically and emotionally.

We just had them protrayed to be equals based on their own skirmish and the level of difficulty they had with each other (with Gray getting a extra shot in to the face of Natsu), that is not overhyping. That is you overhyping Natsu by denying what is shown in the manga. You seemly don't seem to understand the difference between portrayal and combat feats. Natsu has superior combat feats, but one on one he is not shown to have the superior portrayal one against the other. Protrayal itself can be considered a feat. How is Gray and Natsu classsing with each other not a feat or portrayal. Do you even know what portrayal is? Part of Natsu's large level improvement in his flames can be a byproduct of Igneel's inheritance.

You on the other hand are also overhyping Mira by somehow accepting her to be on Erza's level through portrayal, when realistically that's not the case. Mira doesn't even the portrayal of being on Erza's level anymore. That is made evident in the Tartaros arc. On the other hand we have proof that Gray was portrayed to be on Natsu's level through their skirmish and character statements. Spmehow you can accept Mira being Erza's equal, and yet can't accept Gray being Natsu's level??? Gray can based on portrayal with Natsu since they are in the higher bound in rep here. Gray was always said to be equal to Natsu, we even had Natsu's closest friend confirm this. Erza surpassed Mirajane when the latter didn't have magic. .Erza has more offensive feats than Mira does. Erza has portrayal of being offensive oriented than Mira does. The comparison isn't even close.

We can use this analogy considering there more feats of portrayal between Natsu and Gray than they are of Mira and Erza. We recently had Gray and Natsu stalemate each other at the same level of difficulty, compared to Erza simply overshadowing Mira. and then we have the whole Gray vs Natsu (END) confrontation come impasse, and the comparision isn't even close anymore, to a point that Gray vs Natsu's portrayal is leagues and tiers ahead of Mira and Erza portrayal.

For this one, I used an assumption. I said Gray and Erza have capabilities of oneshotting BN, who isn't shown to be a tank in durability. Yet you somehow ignored the part I made about Erza for for some reason. There's a chance that they can do so. BN seeminly has been a regression, considering his age. Tenrou Bluenote>>>>>>Current Bluenote.

Referring to someone who doesn't clue in the mental and physical aspects of the fight as ignorant doesn't make them less ignorant, since that makes no sense.. But I'll refrain from referring to you as ignorant and calling out the fanboys from now on based on the mod's warnings as I respect the mods here. Calling someone ignorant doesn't make one ignorant. The people that I'm arguing with were also deemed ignorant was certain, few people noticed that already, so don't tell me that.

Character preference has no bearing to do with how you feel about the strength of the characters. I also gave acknowledgement to Erza, and Gajeel as being on Natsu's level as well. Mira on the other hand isn't on their level. As I said I'll refrain for making the ignorance claims to make it easy on the mods.

--- Double Post Merged, ---
I never said Gray went all out against Ur. I said that he didn't hold back immensely against Ur. Gray mid-diffed Ur. I think that is reasonable. Nobody looking at the fight should come to the conclusion that Gray went balls to the walls fighting Ur. Nobody looking at the fight should come to the conclusion that Gray walked all over Ur either. Medium difficulty is what we use to describe a fight in which a moderate amount of effort was put in.

This is Gray's Ice Geyser vs Ur's Ice Volcano.
Now, I'm not saying Ice Geyser was Gray going all out, but it does mean that Gray couldn't just overpower Ur's attacks casually. Compare this to Natsu's random punch vs Bluenote's attempts to crush him with gravity:
Keep in mind that these are the type of things Bluenote's gravity is capable of.
Gray's Ice-Make: Silver are comparable to Natsu's normal fire dragon attacks.
I already explained why he didn't walk over Ul. I explained that he was nerfed beyond belief due to Lyon's emotional triggers, and that too in Gray's Base mode. We have to take these aspects into consideration for the arguments. With that said, Ul herself may have not been 100 percent going all out based on her expressions and temperament. That's why I referred to Base Gray can beat Ul one on one in mid-high diff. High diff is mostly it. Whereas Erza can beat Ul mid-diff. Now if we give hype to Ul, she may give Erza a high-diff fight.

Ofcourse, you wouldn't say that. No one should even reach that conclusion considering Ice Geyser is one of Gray's weakest attacks in his arsenal, and is a basic casual ice move. Had Gray used something that wasn't a basic ice spell, he could've easily overpowered Ice Make Volcano.

Last edited by a moderator:

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
1. Base Gray has superior feats than Ul. Gray has annointed several times indirectly that Lyon needs to overcome Ul. Near the conclusion of the fight, that was made even more evident when Gray emphasized for Lyon to reach the new level and grow.

2. He was more focused on getting Lyon to overcome the hurdle rather than fighting Ur because Lyon had no confidence in himself. Was he serious in doing that? Ofcourse. Was he serious in fighting Ur? Not really especially when he all did was launch one of his weaker spells in his arsenal (Geyser) and tanked all of Ur's hits.

3. I agree, Longsword is one of his best spells in his Base mode using DeS, but he oneshotted her (with Lyon's assistance). Had both of them gone seriously even in their respective base modes, this would've been a low diff fight for them.

4. He didn't solo in his Base mode for preferences only, he was more interested in getting Lyon to do some of the work for character development purposes rather than solo Ul. He coulve easily told Lyon to back off and let him take care of it. Stripping is a sign of being serious. Neither Gray nor Lyon stripped at all when they fought Ur. When Gray stripped he oneshotted Rufus. Which adds ammo to my claim that Gray was holding back immensely in his base mode.

I already explained why he didn't walk over Ul. I explained that he was nerfed beyond belief due to Lyon's emotional triggers, and that too in Gray's Base mode. We have to take these aspects into consideration for the arguments. With that said, Ul herself may have not been 100 percent going all out based on her expressions and temperament. That's why I referred to Base Gray can beat Ul one on one in mid-high diff. High diff is mostly it. Whereas Erza can beat Ul mid-diff. Now if we give hype to Ul, she may give Erza a high-diff fight.

Ofcourse, you wouldn't say that. No one should even reach that conclusion considering Ice Geyser is one of Gray's weakest attacks in his arsenal, and is a basic casual ice move. Had Gray used something that wasn't a basic ice spell, he could've easily overpowered Ice Make Volcano.
Gray might have superior feats compared to Ur, but not to the point where he would stomp her. Evidently, he didn't stomp Ur in their fight. In fact, Gray was arguably struggling against Ur in his base mode. Without resorting to Devil Slaying magic, which of of base Gray's spells do you think would completely overpower Ice Volcano in the same way it overpowered Ice Geyser? Then also, which one of Gray's spells would take out Ur in the same fashion as zero longsword + swan swords?

I don't really believe that the first thing that went through Gray's mind when they faced Ur was to essentially fake getting overpowered so that he could teach Lyon a lesson. The most I am willing to say is that Lyon was an ineffective partner because he was intimidated by Ur's reputation, and Gray had to divide his attention to give Lyon some encouragement. Anything beyond that is too riddled with assumptions about the nuances of Gray's intent.
When Gray does talk to Lyon, he just tells Lyon to snap out of it and that the Historia is an enemy. We also have Gray saying stuff like he wouldn't allow the Historia to drag Ur's name through the mud. I never got the impression that Gray was purposely holding back from this. In fact, I didn't even get the impression that Gray was very aware of what Lyon is doing. I got the impression that Gray was telling Lyon to get his head in the fight. In fact, I'm willing to wager that Gray wasn't even aware of just how much Lyon was intimidated by Ur until Lyon started talking about how Gray has outgrown everything. You can see the moment where Gray clues in.

Look, I believe that Gray has surpassed Ur by a fair margin. I believe he can mid-diff her with or without Lyon. I just simply don't believe he can stomp her in his base form. Not in the same way Natsu can stomp Bluenote.

Last edited:

Tinitus

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Georgia
I personally think the purpose of the fight between Gray/Lyon and Ur was so that Lyon could finally come to terms with Ur's death and so he could be relieved of some emotional baggage, not that Lyon and Gray have surpassed Ur. I think the fight was supposed to be more of an emotional and mental victory for Gray and Lyon rather than a physical one, hence why Hiro didn't show Ur getting defeated. Ur getting defeated or not (I still think they couldn't beat her, we have no evidence that she was actually defeated) doesn't really matter here because the real success was that Lyon could finally start moving forward, not that they could surpass Ur.
You're half right that Lyon was able to move forward from Ul, but this was not a pure emotional and mental victory for Gray since he knows that this Ul was an impostor. However seeing someone that looks like your long gone deceased master as an enemey does still hurt mentally. CR implcations already prove that Base Gray has surpassed Ur . All Gray did was hold Ur back and convince Lyon from snapping out of it. Even more evident consdering Ul released a lot of her arsenal, while Gray only released IM Geyser. This is something that is constantly being neglected. Base Gray simply has shown to have superior feats than Ul, and mentally has gained all the invaluable experiences that was directed to him in his travels something Lyon didn't have.

As for whether Ul was defeated or not, it's a matter of interpretations. Sometimes things don't need to be shown for us to conclude that a character got defeated or not.

Ul was covered by Ice and punted away, and then Gray and Lyon celebrated that moment afterwards. This can also mean that Ul was defeated by them. They wouldn't have celebrated if Ur wasn't defeated. Show me how Erza was able to defeat Kyouka, Ikaruga and Azuma then. Do you believe Erza was able to defeat them physicallY? Ofcourse not. It was a mental victory similar to how Lyon and Gray had a mental + physical victory over Ul.

The difference is Wendy and Laxus's fights were more physical ones, while Gray/Ul and ERza/Trio were both mentally psychological and physical ones. Gray and Lyon defeating Ur wouldn't be ridiculous compared to Wendy and Laxus's conclusions.

Gray much like Jellal knew that these characters of their loved ones were impostor,However seeing someone that looks like your long gone deceased master as an enemey does still hurt can still hurt you psycholoically and take a performance hit. Which is exactly why Jellal was still hestitant to hurt Simon at the last stages of the event and Kagura had to seal the job. Gray was not aware that Silver was his father, until he released Ice Shell. Gray was in the belief that Silver was Deliora all along, which isn't the same as the duo fighting Ul from a emotional turmoil standpoint. Gray was only attempting to hold Ur back with an Ice Geyser, since she kept attacking them. Yeah, I don't believe Base Gray himself can stomp Ur and outclass her by himself that would be too much, but Base Gray still can defeat Ur in a battle by himself.

Gray might have superior feats compared to Ur, but not to the point where he would stomp her. Evidently, he didn't stomp Ur in their fight. In fact, Gray was arguably struggling against Ur in his base mode. Without resorting to Devil Slaying magic, which of of base Gray's spells do you think would completely overpower Ice Volcano in the same way it overpowered Ice Geyser? Then also, which one of Gray's spells would take out Ur in the same fashion as zero longsword + swan swords?

I don't really believe that the first thing that went through Gray's mind when they faced Ur was to essentially fake getting overpowered so that he could teach Lyon a lesson. The most I am willing to say is that Lyon was an ineffective partner because he was intimidated by Ur's reputation, and Gray had to divide his attention to give Lyon some encouragement. Anything beyond that is too riddled with assumptions about the nuances of Gray's intent. There's no reason to believe that Gray was concocting some elaborate ruse to get Lyon to realize he needed to surpass Ur.
We see Gray getting knocked down before Lyon made any comment about their enemy being Ur. When Gray does talk to Lyon, he just tells Lyon to snap out of it and that the Historia is an enemy. We also have Gray saying stuff like he wouldn't allow the Historia to drag Ur's name through the mud. It doesn't sound like Gray is even very aware of what Lyon is feeling. In fact, I'm willing to wager that Gray wasn't even aware that Lyon was so deeply intimidated until Lyon started talking about how Gray has managed to surpass Ur. It was at this point where Gray realized how badly Lyon was shaken, and that's why he gave Lyon the speech. Otherwise, he was simply busy fighting Ur.

Look, I believe that Gray has surpassed Ur by a fair margin. I believe he can mid-diff her with or without Lyon. I just simply don't believe he can stomp her in his base form.
I have already expanded upon reasons to the main reasons Base Gray struggled. You're just taking it in face value while ignoring the implications to why he struggled from cause-effect ratio as opposed to only just seeing the panels and taking it in..
When I mention, Low-Mid difficulty, I clarify that Base Gray (not holding back in Base) and Lyon (without any emotional attachment) take out Ur in that difficulty which is actually reasonable considering I'm talking about team-work, not individually.

An improved enhanced ice bringer can take out Ul, or gungnir which took out Ultear. These attacks at the very least shown to have actual feats of prowess compared to Ice geyser. Ice Geyser is a pretty weak attack that Lyon in Galuna easily countered it casually. Keep in mind Ultear has shown to have durability feats, Ul hasn't. So a two year more enhanced version of that Gugnir or Ice Bringer enhanced attack with two blades should at the very least take out Ul or injure Ul by a very fair amount. Ul hasn't shown to have impressive durability, so an attack or two of that calibre should suffice. The casting time is alright so it's doable.

Gray obviously didn't fake getting overpowered, never implied that but he was certainly trying to hold Ul back casually, and snap Lyon out of it. That is much certain. Ul was being stubborn and kept going at them.

I too believe, Base Gray will not be close to stomp Ul at all, that's ridiculous. However I do believe Base Gray has surpassed Ul enough to beat her mid-high or high difficulty individualy based upon overall combat feats aquired on his own he gained through his invaluable experiences in mastering his ice make version along with the CR implication. Lyon also believed Base Gray surpassed her, while he regretfully couldn't.

There's a difference between not going all out and holding back. I don't believe Gray was going all out because he didn't use his demonize form. But I also don't believe Gray was purposely making his attacks weaker or taking Ur less seriously as an opponent. For example, there's no reason to believe the ice geyser he used against Ur was a weaker effort than his attempts to freeze Ajeel's sands.
I also don't buy the explanation that Gray wanted to show Ur how much his ice-magic has improved. Gray was able to figure out that the Historia wasn't really Ur, and treated her like an enemy. I don't think Gray chose not to use Devil Slaying magic for obscure reasons either. Rather, the same reason Gray doesn't start his fights with Devil Slaying Magic is the same reason Natsu doesn't start his fights with Fire Dragon King spells. He only uses it when he's being pushed to a certain level.
Yes, and Gray was holding back by a very good margin. That's the difference. Releasing low key spells, basic spells, holding back his opponent while talking to Lyon, not stripping is all signs of holding back and being in a stationary position rather than charging at opponent (like he did againt Silver and not Ul). Gray was just attempting to distrac Ur, and we're not saying that Gray thinks this Ul is a fodder or something, he was only attempting to assist Lyon. There is reason to believe the Ice Geyser against Ur was a weaker attempt because he was in his Base Mode, while Gray was in his DeS mode when freezing Ajeel's sands. However it's safe to say he held back on both occasions.
I agree with you here. I mean, I just re-read the chapters. Chapter 481 displays Gray and Lyon both unharmed. Beginning of chapter 482: Ur casually attacks Gray and sends him flying. She claims that "if an attack like that knocked him down, he's hardly grown up at all". Ok, I get the point of all of you saying Base Gray could beat Ur and he was just "waking Lyon up" but why was Gray so affected by that attack? Couldn't he have just blocked or dodged it? Besides, the chapter already shows a Lyon with plenty of scratches and seemingly tired, which means that, even if he's mentally handicapped, well, their battle offpanel must've been rough for the boys. While Ur has no scratch.

Gray wakes up and becomes rebellious: "this is not the kids we used to be". He gets a bit serious and finally gets to lay a scratch on Ur's face. They receive 10x her damage though. Unlike many of you, I think this is Gray getting serious, as he "won't let her sully Ur's name any more than she already has". He's kinda angry now.

Chapter 483 now. The battle reaches its climax. Ur is utterly unharmed and fresh as a rose; the two boys are both tired and damaged. The teacher's attack, Ice Volcano, far outclasses the student's, Ice Geyser. They both get overwhelmed by the spell and in the end are breathing heavily: they're clearly having a hard time. Is this Gray just barely trying? Is this Gray attempting at waking Lyon up? Maybe. But that doesn't necessarily imply he needs to receive so much damage. He's just receiving damage because Ur's power overwhelms him. Besides, he's not just on the deffensive, he's also attacking.

When Lyon claims that Ur is simply too strong for them, Gray tells him that "that's not Ur". He doesn't tell him "this thing is not even close to the power of Ur" or "yes, we've grown up and we've surpassed Ur", he simply states "that's not Ur". Which has no implications on whether the Historia is less or more powerful than Ur, or whether they're more powerful than Ur, he simply says that that thing's not Ur.

Ur is confident that the two of them are no match for her. She clearly states so and she bases it on the fact they're heavily injured whereas she's received no harm and seems to conserve plenty of MP and durability. At the end of the chapter, the two of them land a solid hit on her, combining their powers. It would be advisable to mention that this was DeS Gray, since the attack is named "Ice Devil's Zeroth Long Sword".

Whether the attack has defeated Ur is up to interpretation. We don't see what happens offpanel, we move from that attack to a point where Ur has already disappeared. I lean on those who claim she was not defeated. There will be those who think that blow knocked her down.

What is very clear in my mind is that Ur outclasses base Gray. Not by far, but she does.
Gray was not that affected by the attack, all he did was get pushed off, it could've easily been that Ul gave him a cheapshot seeing how Gray and Lyon were mentally shocked that Ul was in the vicinity.. In the translations I'm reading: Ul said, come on boys, you got to do better than that" This is similar to how Silver pushed Gray off while he was shocked at Deliora's mention, and that was extremely 10 times worse than this. You look at the emotions, Gray could've used a simple ice make defense mechanism or could've used a clone which is easy to cast considering Silver couldn't react to his movements. You can't take much into consideration on what happened to a off-paneled altercation. We simply don't know what cause Gray to fall back. Maybe he could've easily protected a shocked Lyon by getting his body in the way.

In the next page, we see Gray attempting to get Lyon to snap out of it. While Gray and Lyon are talking to each other, Ul releases another a cheap shot on them via her strongest attack in Rosen Chrone while they are distracted. They end up tanking that move as they get back up on their feet. They received 10times the damage because Ul got a cheap shot hit on him while they were distracted. Both Gray and Lyon were side to side facing each other, while Ul was in a front position and summoning her attack. Gray released a ice shard at Ul, which obviously be a scratch. He's angry at the fact that this impostor is sullying Ul's name. Power wise, he's not serious when he releaes Ice Make Geyser one of his lowkey spells.

Chapter 483, is just a continuation of what happened in Chapter 482. Two boys are harmed by Rosen Chrone, and the distraction hits Lyon and Gray took from Ul. Plus Gray and Lyon were shown to clash evenly with her. Those were scratches, not wounds. Gray and Lyon are not tired because they were not panting. Ul just simply took a shard to the face, and we don't see it because she's just a deceased summoning. Neither of the other historias have ever taken any damage or given wounds. Unless you can prove that. Actually it was Gray who used IM Geyser, Lyon was just standing there in the back. We can be certain now that Volcano is superior than IM Geyser. It can also be dependent of the magical reserves and power Ul used against Gray is greater the exertion.

Gray used to summon the attack. Yep, Gray was just barely trying considering he used IM Geyser. A low key basic spell. Gray received damage thanks to Urs' MP in Volcano>IM Geyser MP used by Gray. Gray was damaged by Rosen Chrone, and other attacks. Plus Gray and Lyon were involved in fighting millions of minions before they encountered Ul so they weren't entirely fresh as their MP reserves were being wasted fighting the fodder, and we saw the Mermaid Heel members being scratched and wounded by these fodders in the next panel. Gray is attacking to hold back Ul to distract her, while we saw his face in consecutive panels facing Lyon.

So? That would be an arrogant statement that people wouldn't like to hear if Gray said we surpassed Ur especially with how the fight is happening at the moment. That wouldn't make Lyon learn anything, and he would be confused considering how the fight is transpiring. Gray had to specifically face Lyon turning his back on Ur and explain to him "It's true, I've come along way (Which can be indication that he's nearing Ur's or being above her level in Base), "but I didn't get this far from stumbling aimlessly around" This shows Gray has reached a far level in power that Lyon admits to. "In that case, the beginning of the road is right here in front of you". Gray essentially gives this fight to Lyon to overcome in while he motivates him.

Ur is confident because of her arrogance (which is different than the childhood Gray version of Ur). She received only an ice shard thrown at her, ofcourse she would not be harmed. That would make her fodder. She received only an attack of no named basic spells and a low key Ice Geyser spell on panel. At the end of it, This is where Gray and Lyon show they become actually serious, when they strip (a sign of serious, as shown against Racer and Rufus). It would be advisable to understand that Gray was in his base mode when using DeS magic: Because he didn't have his hair spike up or any demon markings shown on his face.

I think one only other person disagreed with the notion of Ul being defeated or not, not "those". As for whether Ul was defeated or not, it's a matter of interpretations. Sometimes things don't need to be shown for us to conclude that a character got defeated or not. Ul was covered by Ice and punted away, and then Gray and Lyon celebrated that moment afterwards. This can also mean that Ul was defeated by them. They wouldn't have celebrated if Ur wasn't defeated. They would be confused as to where Ul went if that was the case.

Yes, Ur outclasses a severely nerfed holding back non-strip mode Base Gray using low level casual spells who tanked all of her stronger attacks. If Ul can't outclass this version of nerfed Gray, then she's a fodder. CR implications have it clear that Base Gray has surpassed Ur.

Last edited:

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I too believe, Base Gray will not be close to stomp Ul at all, that's ridiculous. However I do believe Base Gray has surpassed Ul enough to beat her mid-high or high difficulty individualy based upon overall combat feats aquired on his own he gained through his invaluable experiences in mastering his ice make
So long as we agree that Gray is probably not stomping Ur in his base form, I'm willing to let the other points slide. Which brings me all the way back to my very original statement:
Gray has attacks comparable to base Natsu's attacks in terms of AoE and the level of opponents they can take out. Natsu's roar can take out Bluenote, who should be around Jura's level. Gray's Zero Longsword can take out Ur, who should be anywhere between Jose and Jura's level. The difference is effort. Natsu can oneshot Bluenote while holding Chelia up by the shirt, whereas Gray defeated can defeat Ur mid-diff. The same can be said for Erza. I don't doubt that Erza can beat someone like Bluenote. However, given the difficulty she had in taking out Azuma, who is weaker than Bluenote, I doubt she could just oneshot him. It would at least require a mid-difficulty effort.

Remember, FDK mode is still Natsu though. If things get tough, Natsu will resort to FDK
We can agree on this, no?

Last edited:

Tinitus

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Surely Gray was holding back but i don't support the idea that Gray was using just a fraction of his power..
Agreed with the first part, disagree with the second. All Gray used was Ice GEYSER and no-named ice attacks, that IS only 5-10 percent of his power for his arsenal. Unless you believe Natsu's basic roar is was him using lot of fraction of his power.

Like i said base gray isn't that strong..des gray is..but he wasn't going all out against ur even in base..and i don't understand why since he knew that wasn't ur..
Base Gray is pretty solid, atleast on current Mira's level. Base Gray hasn't even been shown to go all out himself as he was nerfed through numerous conditions and surpassed his own teacher/mentor. You have absolutely no basis to deem his base version to be "not that strong", otherwise Mira isn't that strong then.

So long as we agree that Gray is probably not stomping Ur in his base form, I'm willing to let the other points slide. Which brings me all the way back to my very original statement:

Glad we agree. I can only see DeS Gray stomping Ur based on his advantages, and larger scaled level attacks, not his base mode though.

We can agree on this, no?
Yep we're in full agreement :
Base Gray defeats Ul mid or mid-high dif.
Des Gray stomps Ul. DeS Gray is certainly a tier or possibly two tiers above Ul.
Des Gray and Base Natsu are very comparable.

The only difference we had was primarily semantics, and interpretations, but we are on the same wavelength.

I think we should wait to talk about gray powers he hasn't been on a serious battle yet..once he fights invel we will talk about his powers again..
Tbh, he hasn't gone all out on BOTH of his modes.

That's why i don't understand this fight if gray knew that wasn't wasn't ur why the heck he was holding back ?
To teach Lyon a lesson. If Gray blitzed and stomped Ur, then Lyon would still have the fear and doubts in his mind and all of the development Lyon received will go out the window. Gray did this in order to reallievate Lyon's mental condition, and show feats in overall maturity progression.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
It has already been shown that the likelyhood to that of a dragon varies. There is no reason why there would be a ceiling that stops below actually becoming a dragon given that dragon force is clearly meant to make you as dragon like as possible (the more dragon like the more power). Even if there was though, that would simply mean that dragon force is the watered down version of becoming an actual dragon, so technically they are still the same thing (one just being the higher level of the other).

As for the antibodies, I am pretty sure those only lasted while the dragons were inside likely as to not have the young DS prematurely turn dragon and get on Acnologias hit list before they could hone their skills. If not then fair, but dragon force being what Acnologias dragon form is would still stand.

I'll put it like this. The lowest point for Zeref is when he loves humanity while the highest is when he hates it. When he fought against Natsu his resolve was wavering, he wasnt sure whether he should kill humanity or love it and so he bet the decision on the outcome of the fight. We can therefore conclude that he wasnt at his peak, because he was not resolved on destroying humanity.
Dragon force makes you look like a dragon that's it. While the Dragons spent multiple years making the antibodies and they said it was for the purpose of them not transforming, they wouldn't spend years doing that if it ran out as soon as they left. Nothing implies this is the case.

No Zeref's resolve falt out wasn't wavering, if it was he wouldn't have invaded and he flat out says to Natsu he wants to kill everything.
After Natsu fought Zeref, they stopped to talk. During that time, Natsu showed absolutely no sign of exhaustion. Immediately after having used his FDK punch, Natsu collapsed and started huffing. Natsu was fine after fighting Zeref. It was after casting the FDK mode finisher that exhausted him.

Acnologia obviously has control over whether or not he turns into a dragon. Igneel and the other dragons don't want the dragon slayers to turn into dragons. Obviously, they didn't want another Acnologia running around. Dragon Force gives changes you physically into a dragon, and the more powerful you are the more dragon-like you become. This was Natsu's dragon force in the tower of Heaven arc. He had a few scales on his face.
This is Natsu's dragon force during the Tartarus arc. It's evolved to the point where he has prominent scales all over his body. You can clearly see that Natsu is becoming more dragon-like:
This is a colored page from chapter 435. In the bottom right hand corner, it says "Our dragon-force level announcement is on the next page". In case you think this is a mistranlation, I've also provided the raws. You can check the translation yourself: ドラゴン ・フォース is the romanji for Dragon Force.
...And what is on the very next page? I mean, Hiro has never been hard to figure out and this pretty much just spells it out. Now if you can accept that Natsu's dragon force evolves to make him more dragon-like as he gets more powerful, then that's probably true for Acnologia as well. So if Acnologia had a dragon force, what would you expect it to look like?

Oh right my bad about the Natsu vs Zeref thing but my point still stands, if Natsu had any trump card he would have used it against Zeref, any secret arts etc.

That makes absolutely no sense, just because they would attain Dragon Force themselves does not mean they would turn into to someone like Acnologia, the transformation of having Dragon Force doesn't turn you evil so saying the parent Dragons didn't want another Acnologia makes no sense.

While Natsu's dragon force has made him look more like a dragon that could be simply a change in design you know. Sting and Rouge's dragon force has always spread around all their body (even though its' seemingly weaker than regular dragon force) and the same applies with Wendy with her Dragon Force.

While seriously you're using an announcement with uses Dragon Force like an adjective????? I'll believe Dragon Force turns you into a dragon when I see it.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh right my bad about the Natsu vs Zeref thing but my point still stands, if Natsu had any trump card he would have used it against Zeref, any secret arts etc.

That makes absolutely no sense, just because they would attain Dragon Force themselves does not mean they would turn into to someone like Acnologia, the transformation of having Dragon Force doesn't turn you evil so saying the parent Dragons didn't want another Acnologia makes no sense.

While Natsu's dragon force has made him look more like a dragon that could be simply a change in design you know. Sting and Rouge's dragon force has always spread around all their body (even though its' seemingly weaker than regular dragon force) and the same applies with Wendy with her Dragon Force.

While seriously you're using an announcement with uses Dragon Force like an adjective????? I'll believe Dragon Force turns you into a dragon when I see it.
Igneel's magical power was Natsu's trump card. Just because the FDK spell he used against Zeref was exhausting doesn't mean that every FDK spell Natsu used was at that level. Obviously Natsu is nowhere near his limit after roaring at the Alvarez troops or after a demolition fist. If you want to say Natsu has gone all out, then you have to see how he fights at his limit. So far, he's never had the need to use more than 1 FDK spell. I don't even see what the point of debating this is. We're going to get to see Natsu fight August in a few chapters. If he uses multiple FDK spells against August, then we'll know he hasn't gone all out yet because he'll have basically just doubled his efforts.

Turning into a dragon doesn't make Acnologia evil either. Acnologia was already well on his way to murdering all the dragons before he ever had the ability to turn full dragon. Acnologia is also in control of his actions. The parent dragons obviously wanted to eliminate the chance of having someone like Acnologia running around, so they limited their slayer's powers. If you advertise something as a "Dragon Force-level announcement" and put the phrase "dragon force" in quotes, then yeah - I'm going to make the obvious interpretation that its a teaser of dragon force. Put that besides the fact that Natsu is getting more dragon-like as he gets more powerful, and it fits like a puzzle. If you say you'll believe it when you see it, then I guess all we have to do is wait.

Last edited:

Boomburst

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah yeah, I meant Chapter 483. One of the websites had it noted as chapter 484.

It's confusing because we wouldn't know which mode the character is in. Spell name is enough to warrant which mode the character is in unless it's obvious as in a physical characteristic chance in the characters look when he or she in the mode they are in in. It would be too silly for a character to state which mode he's in, when a spell and the character's aura in their intensity and profound level being more than enough. Natsu was profound, serious and released a FDKM spell against Wargod, that means he was in the mode and wasn't even close to being Base level. We are talking about a War God here, not a fucking fodder. Ofcourse Natsu would be using his FDKM mode to exert this much power, this is the same character that surprised both Gray, Natsu and Erza when he was released, and he has mountain level DC.

Are you serious? He does NOT always yell his mode when he goes ISD. When he saved Levy from Tora, he didn't announce that he went ISD,but we understood that he's in his ISD mode because of his change of appearance in his eyes.

a luxury Base Natsu-LDF Natsu doesn't have. What about Wendy in DF? Does she yell out her mode?

Because he would too much for Natsu to be using it without pushing and extending himself to the new level. You think Base Natsu can handle Igneel the king of dragons and a top tier in his base mode? That is overvaluing Natsu and hyping him too much. We know he spent 10 months unleashing that level of power in his FDKM mode. It's unrealistic to expect him to use Igneel's magical reserves in his base mode. The simple matter is Natsu used LFDM mode from the start of the match when he wrapped and revealed his dragon eblem signifying the essense of Igneel's MP being distributed in him. Natsu announcing LFDM Mode means he's going to pour all of his+Igneel's magical reserves into taking Zeref down. That's all there is to it.

It does matter. There needs to be hints of compatibility for two elements to reach for a character to enter a mode. Pure mode like fire doesn't need to expand upon.

Yeah it's hard for you to understand because of several reasons. Ul's attacks were NOT casual. She released Ice Rosen Chrone which is one of her stronger attacks in her disposal, something her own daughter was desperate to use. What she shown far feat-wise is her strongest attacks. Gray on the other hand released only one single casual attack in IM Geyser, and other no-named ices. He was trying to hold Ul back, and motivate Lyon. Besides, this character didn't even resemble Ul in personality. Base Gray is well ahead of Ur now through CR implications.

Ul was only hyped to be Wizard Saint tier by an outsider, not classified as such. She has shown no feats where it's indicated that she's even in Wizard saint. Her best feats were against a guy who was holding back his power by a very good margin and not going all out, and a guy who was emotionally out of it. Current Base Gray>GMG Mira. Tartaros Base Gray and Tartaros Mira were on the same level as each other in feats. There's no exaggeration in that, if there is you need to have proof for the statements you make.

Greater size and reach doesn't indicate greater attack potency.

Yes, this essentially implies that Base Gray has surpassed Ul. Do you agree or deny that Base Gray can defeat Ur? Let's reach a middle ground here for argument sakes, would you willing to accept low-mid difficulty to how the fight was reached?

Many people? No. One person counts to many people now. My post wasn't full on assumptions, there were facts, proof, and common sense laid upon them. Your statements consisted of exaggeration, double standard, and downright hypocritical. It is your own problem, unless you don't care what all people think about your own opinion and/or bias.

We just had a crunchyroll implication show us that Base Gray surpassed Ur. Are you going to deny what is shown in the manga now? What has Ur shown that she's above him? All she did was release her main arsneal of power, and those attacks were still tanked. Where's the flaw? Where's the inaccuracy? Where's the exagerration from my posts? Copying me makes you even more hypocritical. What has Ur shown to be above Base Gray especially a tier? SHe was only HYPED to be Low Wizard Saint tier (A tier Erza was hyped in the TOH Aarc). There's a difference between hype and classification. Jura is classified as Wizard Saint, Ur was hyped by Siegrain to be one. All of this events describe that Gray was mentally strong enough to surpass Ur. Physically and emotionally.

We just had them protrayed to be equals based on their own skirmish and the level of difficulty they had with each other (with Gray getting a extra shot in to the face of Natsu), that is not overhyping. That is you overhyping Natsu by denying what is shown in the manga. You seemly don't seem to understand the difference between portrayal and combat feats. Natsu has superior combat feats, but one on one he is not shown to have the superior portrayal one against the other. Protrayal itself can be considered a feat. How is Gray and Natsu classsing with each other not a feat or portrayal. Do you even know what portrayal is? Part of Natsu's large level improvement in his flames can be a byproduct of Igneel's inheritance.

You on the other hand are also overhyping Mira by somehow accepting her to be on Erza's level through portrayal, when realistically that's not the case. Mira doesn't even the portrayal of being on Erza's level anymore. That is made evident in the Tartaros arc. On the other hand we have proof that Gray was portrayed to be on Natsu's level through their skirmish and character statements. Spmehow you can accept Mira being Erza's equal, and yet can't accept Gray being Natsu's level??? That's double standard applied and hypocritical from bias. Gray can based on portrayal with Natsu since they are in the higher bound in rep here. Gray was always said to be equal to Natsu, we even had Natsu's closest friend confirm this. Erza surpassed Mirajane when the latter didn't have magic. .Erza has more offensive feats than Mira does. Erza has portrayal of being offensive oriented than Mira does. The comparison isn't even close.

We can use this analogy considering there more feats of portrayal between Natsu and Gray than they are of Mira and Erza. We recently had Gray and Natsu stalemate each other at the same level of difficulty, compared to Erza simply overshadowing Mira. and then we have the whole Gray vs Natsu (END) confrontation come impasse, and the comparision isn't even close anymore, to a point that Gray vs Natsu's portrayal is leagues and tiers ahead of Mira and Erza portrayal.

For this one, I used an assumption. I said Gray and Erza have capabilities of oneshotting BN, who isn't shown to be a tank in durability. Yet you somehow ignored the part I made about Erza for for some reason. There's a chance that they can do so. BN seeminly has been a regression, considering his age. Tenrou Bluenote>>>>>>Current Bluenote.

Referring to someone who doesn't clue in the mental and physical aspects of the fight as ignorant doesn't make them less ignorant, since that makes no sense.. But I'll refrain from referring to you as ignorant and calling out the fanboys from now on based on the mod's warnings as I respect the mods here. Calling someone ignorant doesn't make one ignorant. The people that I'm arguing with were also deemed ignorant was certain, few people noticed that already, so don't tell me that.

Character preference has no bearing to do with how you feel about the strength of the characters. I also gave acknowledgement to Erza, and Gajeel as being on Natsu's level as well. Mira on the other hand isn't on their level. As I said I'll refrain for making the ignorance claims to make it easy on the mods.

How could having to notice the change of aura and spell name be simpler than the character yelling out the name of the mode itself? It would be so much easier if all the reader had to do was wait for the character to yell the name instead of having to pay attentions to little details.

Um yes Gajeel did yell ISDM. Right before Toru used his poison water thing he and Natsu both yelled the names of their modes while fighting Toru and Tempesta. It's also worth noting that there's a huge change in Gajeels appearance whenever he goes ISDM, meaning that since we've never seen his appearance change like that before he yells the name, he's not in the mode until he yells it. If he could really go ISDM without saying the name then we would see his physical appearance change before he yells it.

Why does Natsu have to be in a higher mode to use Igneel's power? It's still the same jump in power regardless of whether he uses it right from base or if he goes FDKM first. Natsu's modes work by drawing out energy inside him that he wasn't using before. If he can do that with his normal modes then I see no reason why he can't with Igneel's power.

If your argument is that Natsu has to use a move with the mode name in the title for us to know he's in the mode, then how do you explain the situations where he yells the name first? There have been plenty of circumstances where Natsu has yelled the name of his mode and entered it without using any moves of that nature before hand.

Whenever Natsu yells the name of his mode you see a significant change in aura and in physical appearance. There's no reason why Natsu would wait until he yells the name of his mode to start going all out if he was already in the mode. If Natsu really can enter his modes without yelling the name then there would be no reason for him to yell it in the first place.

Solitrine

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'd actually say that Laxus and Jellal are a fair amount above standard Spriggan level. Jellal one-shot a Spriggan with one of his more basic spells whilst Laxus had to be severely handicapped TWICE (Magic Barrier Particles effecting him and fighting his 'worst possible opponent') so he wouldn't stomp a Spriggan. To be honest, I'd peg them closer to August/Irene than they would be to the standard Spriggan level.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
I'd actually say that Laxus and Jellal are a fair amount above standard Spriggan level. Jellal one-shot a Spriggan with one of his more basic spells whilst Laxus had to be severely handicapped TWICE (Magic Barrier Particles effecting him and fighting his 'worst possible opponent') so he wouldn't stomp a Spriggan. To be honest, I'd peg them closer to August/Irene than they would be to the standard Spriggan level.
I'd put them above the direct combatants like Wahl, Ajeel etc but they lose to Bradman ( cannot counter his particles or his several hax magics), Brandish (can shrink them), and definitely below Dimaria < no explanation needed.

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
@Axiomus but BN is stronger than Azuma...

Just like @atomic_2000 said, healthy Laxus and Jellal should be mid-tier spriggan level. They could defeat some, but would be overwhelmed by some. They are very strong and may have MP reserves comparable to those of Spriggan, but they have no hax. Anyone with hax could pretty much defeat them...

Solitrine

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'd put them above the direct combatants like Wahl, Ajeel etc but they lose to Bradman ( cannot counter his particles or his several hax magics), Brandish (can shrink them), and definitely below Dimaria < no explanation needed.
I'm talking general Spriggan level. I'm not talking specifics because that makes it irrelevant as no one is going to defeat Bradman or Dimaria unless they have a specific counter. It's like saying that Erza and Lucy aren't on or above "Spriggan's squad level" because they can't beat Marin due to his hax. Laxus and Jellal's general power level is above every standard Spriggan.

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'm talking general Spriggan level. I'm not talking specifics because that makes it irrelevant as no one is going to defeat Bradman or Dimaria unless they have a specific counter. It's like saying that Erza and Lucy aren't on or above "Spriggan's squad level" because they can't beat Marin due to his hax. Laxus and Jellal's general power level is above every standard Spriggan.
I don't agree with that. Laxus and Jellal are not above every standard Spriggan, they're just spriggan tier, assuming you only consider "non-standard" August, Irene, Dimaria, Brandish or Bradman. God Serena is "standard" if that's what you mean, and is clearly above Laxus in my opinion.

1. August
2. Irene
3. Dimaria
4. Brandish
5. God Serena
6. Bradman
7. Laxus
8. Jellal
9. Ajeel/Wahl
10. Wahl/Ajeel
11. Jacob
12. Neinhart