Discussion - Meliodas | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Meliodas

oxtopus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Do you even know what spirit is ?

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Really, the Spirit stat is pretty vague. Mental strength is included but I think it also shows how efficiently they use their skills and powers and techniques.

I don't think you explanation makes sense though , it is said that composure matters in it, when he is angry he loses his calm. But he apparently solved this by taming his anger with the Druid.

dark123

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Really, the Spirit stat is pretty vague. Mental strength is included but I think it also shows how efficiently they use their skills and powers and techniques.

I don't think you explanation makes sense though , it is said that composure matters in it, when he is angry he loses his calm. But he apparently solved this by taming his anger with the Druid.
He is not going berserk but it doesnt change fact that his anger is concentrating within him. This way he can be even more powerful because he will be able to control his power in the future.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't agree with this explanation. The manga has never actually made the point that mel's wrath concentrates in him and makes him more powerful. If anything the manga has turned away from he prospect of mel turning into an uncontrollable monster of wrath. Just consider his test to recover his power. I am not entirely clear on whether mel actually lost control or not however at least after the test his wrath was said to be entirely under his control. As in, meliodas' wrath is simply him being severely pissed off but fully in control. Now, it is not impossible that mel eventually looses control in the future but for the time being the manga has turned from that prospect and does not hint at anything about spirit and wrath building up. We might as well argue that other sin's sins make their own spirit stat stronger which is ridiculous. If anything the point the manga has made overall is that the sins are not really guilty of their sins at all nor even a proper representation of the sin they are supposed to embody. Mel is the sin of wrath but goes to whatever extent to not have fights if he can (but he does fight the fights he needs to), ban gave up immediately on the fountain of life when he found out it would hurt the forest, king did not do anything even remotely slothful, envy had nothing to do with the events which transpired in diane's flashback. Even with escanor we can make the case that he isn't really prideful, he is simply actively aware of his own inherent awesomeness. Basically, escanor is right.

I would argue the spirit stat is a plot device meant to make the simple point that "power levels are bullshit yet relevant". Because they can change on the spot to fit the plot.

And to finish, consider what gowther observed during the invasion arc. He made the point that during mel and ban's fight their pl rose. And what caused that was love. Not wrath or greed....

LivewireToriko

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Last edited:

Calum

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Spirit doesn't make Meliodas stronger than Escanor.

Tragicdeath

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
The way Nakaba writes, I doubt Escanor would be the strongest. I think Nakaba is letting everyone get distracted using Escanor as the strongest at the earlier part. The sequence most probably be Meliodas or Estarossa, Zeldris, Escanor and the others...

RavenSupreme

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
i was expecting some form of banchou face of EOS between godess escanor and demonic meliodas. though since both are actually good guys i cant see it happening now anymore

but i am sure escanor will be portrayed as strongest entitiy on the sin side for quite some time still - may change if we approach EOS
also bans ST will give him some ability which makes him a good competitior

Meliodaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I finally understand why Mel isn't the absolute monster he's made to be in the past (In reference to his TC days)his power isn't what it used to be because when he went good he stopped devouring souls.

AiNana

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I think I finally understand why Mel isn't the absolute monster he's made to be in the past (In reference to his TC days)his power isn't what it used to be because when he went good he stopped devouring souls.
I thought about it. Wasn't it Zeldris who told the other ten commandments to eat souls? So they can get strong again?
Maybe, Mel in the past who ate souls and Mel in the present who doesn't. Which means at some point his calousness of life became his love for the life around him. Although it may seem because he met someone in the past who he cares about (cough...Liz... cough).
So eating souls can make him stronger? I'm sure he didn't eat one in 3000 years.

Meliodaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought about it. Wasn't it Zeldris who told the other ten commandments to eat souls? So they can get strong again?
Maybe, Mel in the past who ate souls and Mel in the present who doesn't. Which means at some point his calousness of life became his love for the life around him. Although it may seem because he met someone in the past who he cares about (cough...Liz... cough).
So eating souls can make him stronger? I'm sure he didn't eat one in 3000 years.
Zeldris did. That's the only difference I can see unless something happened in those 3000 years. I think Meliodas turned good and decided he wasn't eating souls anymore.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Doesn't this manga keep saying that Meliodas is the strongest though? Also he killed two commandments who weren't substitutes on his way to betray the demons.Has Escanor done anything that would make him stronger than Meliodas?

LivewireToriko

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
So anyone still thinking Prime Meliodas is the strongest?

Or are you wary now of putting your hype behind him, due to what happened to Estarossa?

obamamania

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have precisely zero context on prime Mel's strength, so how can we say he's weaker than noon Escanor with any level of certainty. We don't know how strong Mel was compared to Estarossa now. Just because Escanor is showing feats now that are outright insane, that doesn't mean there won't be others in the future who could match or surpass him.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Yes I think Meliodas at his prime is the strongest. He is compared to the Demon King himself, Estarossa's feats don't really matter. In fact, they show that Meliodas at his prime could do more than that.

LivewireToriko

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Yes I think Meliodas at his prime is the strongest. He is compared to the Demon King himself, Estarossa's feats don't really matter. In fact, they show that Meliodas at his prime could do more than that.
Really?

I think he could be stronger too. Not because the way the story has developed leads me to believe so or implies so, but just because he's the main character of a shonen battle manga.

It'd feel more inconsistent then anything else IMO.

1. Galan knew Meliodas when he was at his prime. Still thought he could beat him. Suicided from fear when fighting Escanor.

2. Mera knew Meliodas when he was at his prime. Still thought galan could beat him. Shat herself over Escanor's power.

3. Monspiet knew him when he was at his prime. He was suprised that he was strong enough take 50 hits from derrière. Expressed disbelief over escanor's power.

4. Even now with his power restored, and demon Mark activated Meliodas definitely still isn't even as strong as pre 11:00-11:30AM Escanor(depends on which translation you believe) with his 50k, and who knows what he's at right now. He took them both seriously and jumped them and still took time putting them away, whereas Escanor damn near oneshot both and glox even admitted that he was almost oneshotted.

5. The constant reinforcement of about 500x that Escanor is the strongest through cover/end pages or text, or even Nakaba himself saying he was worried about bringing him into the story because of his strength, even Gil the ultimate meliodas fanboy said he was the mightiest among men.

6. The fact that zeldris outsped Meliodas with his demon Mark activated might imply that he might need his full/prime power just to beat him, whereas Escanor would most likely body him going off the estarossa fight.

(Yes, I know we don't know how strong he is, but I'm going to operate under the current assumption that zeldris is still weaker than estarossa as that is what Nakaba obviously currently wants us to believe It may prove to not be true Add in the fact that they also fought in the past. Unless it was a oneshot I don't see him being too much stronger than zeldris).

7. Kind of ruin Escanor's specialness. He's supposed to be special existence that supposed to be the strongest of any singular member of any of the clans at his best. (This one is just my personal opinion and something I feel though rather than a reason to be presented as to why Meliodas being stronger feels like a inconsistency).

8. Not to mention that base Meliodas has to struggle to drag rhita along the ground as opposed to Escanor that can casually swing it with one hand as soon as he transforms.

I don't know. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but when you take all this into account and then all of a sudden prime Meliodas can oneshot noon Escanor it just seems like a asspull.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
To be honest I am begining to question whether escanor isn't the strongest being in the manga. Prime meliodas certainly is stronger than what we have seen so far however right now we saw escanor outclass estarosa and it is still a solid half hour until noon apparently. And even now it seems his power is spiking even further than what we have seen before. Considering that escanor's strength is so circumstantial, I wouldn't be surprised if he was really the strongest being by far, even compared to prime meliodas. Escanor so far has been a powerful ally for the sins but he has been lucky enough that circumstances play to his favor. Gowther showing escanor the sun, escanor getting the time he needed to show his strength against galan, the commandments invading nearing noon... If anything the only reason escanor even had a shot at doing anything right now is because fraudrin is as much an information withholding asshole as meliodas himself. If only they had invaded half an hour later they would at least be fighting escanor while his power is slowly decreasing.

Meliodaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
We'll see when Meliodas gets his power back. And stop usin Galan's stupidity to support this. Galan lost in 10 seconds and somewhere in there asked Meliodas if he got his strength back. Where he promptly almost turned himself to stone in frustration. There's also the fact that Estarossa himself said that the Commandments feared him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Although now I'm hoping he isn't. Escanor is one of my favorite characters but he's starting to ruin the story for me with his strength. It's boring when you notice he could kill the threat and be done with it if not for plot, He's one more adversity free event from being lower than King and a few others

LivewireToriko

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
To be honest I am begining to question whether escanor isn't the strongest being in the manga. Prime meliodas certainly is stronger than what we have seen so far however right now we saw escanor outclass estarosa and it is still a solid half hour until noon apparently. And even now it seems his power is spiking even further than what we have seen before. Considering that escanor's strength is so circumstantial, I wouldn't be surprised if he was really the strongest being by far, even compared to prime meliodas. Escanor so far has been a powerful ally for the sins but he has been lucky enough that circumstances play to his favor. Gowther showing escanor the sun, escanor getting the time he needed to show his strength against galan, the commandments invading nearing noon... If anything the only reason escanor even had a shot at doing anything right now is because fraudrin is as much an information withholding asshole as meliodas himself. If only they had invaded half an hour later they would at least be fighting escanor while his power is slowly decreasing.
I doubt he' can oneshot the demon king too.

This entire arc has already been made redundant by his existence because he can clearly solo in a couple days and be done with them if not for plot.

If he can oneshot the demon king too at full power then that makes the formation of the sins even more redundant.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Really?

I think he could be stronger too. Not because the way the story has developed leads me to believe so or implies so, but just because he's the main character of a shonen battle manga.

It'd feel more inconsistent then anything else IMO.

1. Galan knew Meliodas when he was at his prime. Still thought he could beat him. Suicided from fear when fighting Escanor.

2. Mera knew Meliodas when he was at his prime. Still thought galan could beat him. Shat herself over Escanor's power.

3. Monspiet knew him when he was at his prime. He was suprised that he was strong enough take 50 hits from derrière. Expressed disbelief over escanor's power.

4. Even now with his power restored, and demon Mark activated Meliodas definitely still isn't even as strong as pre 11:00-11:30AM Escanor(depends on which translation you believe) with his 50k, and who knows what he's at right now. He took them both seriously and jumped them and still took time putting them away, whereas Escanor damn near oneshot both and glox even admitted that he was almost oneshotted.

5. The constant reinforcement of about 500x that Escanor is the strongest through cover/end pages or text, or even Nakaba himself saying he was worried about bringing him into the story because of his strength, even Gil the ultimate meliodas fanboy said he was the mightiest among men.

6. The fact that zeldris outsped Meliodas with his demon Mark activated might imply that he might need his full/prime power just to beat him, whereas Escanor would most likely body him going off the estarossa fight.

(Yes, I know we don't know how strong he is, but I'm going to operate under the current assumption that zeldris is still weaker than estarossa as that is what Nakaba obviously currently wants us to believe It may prove to not be true Add in the fact that they also fought in the past. Unless it was a oneshot I don't see him being too much stronger than zeldris).

7. Kind of ruin Escanor's specialness. He's supposed to be special existence that supposed to be the strongest of any singular member of any of the clans at his best. (This one is just my personal opinion and something I feel though rather than a reason to be presented as to why Meliodas being stronger feels like a inconsistency).

8. Not to mention that base Meliodas has to struggle to drag rhita along the ground as opposed to Escanor that can casually swing it with one hand as soon as he transforms.

I don't know. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but when you take all this into account and then all of a sudden prime Meliodas can oneshot noon Escanor it just seems like a asspull.

Just because they knew he was the strongest and were in the same team doesn't mean that they knew everything about him or that everyone knew the full extent of his powers. The Sins themselves didn't know everything, Diane thought at Byzel that his Full Counter could reflect physical attacks too, it's King who revealed that she was wrong, Meliodas didn't know how Disaster worked and certain other techniques. In teams, not everyone has to know everything about each others, it's realistic and NNT is not the first manga where I see this.

Galan realized how strong he was and ranted where he got wrecked in one on one. Even with his Magic he would not stand a chance. Monspiet was surprised to see that and Meliodas was surprised by Derrierie's Combo Star itself, showing again that he doesn't know everything.

Meliodas said all of that but we now know that even with the power unsealed by Merlin he is not at his prime(and even when he said Escanor is stronger he said he was not in top shape), he was directly compared to the Demon King, Nakaba didn't show a flashback of Meliodas with a totally different mark just when he used his it against two Commandments for naught.

I don't see how it makes Escanor not special, he is not special because of his PL, he is special because of his ability and the fact that he is Human, we don't know much about Sunshine. I am pretty sure that in the end Meliodas will always be the strongest because NNT is that kind of manga. Meliodas has always been the most feared and respected HK among the Sins. He was the strongest Commandment and the one everyone feared but now he's weaker. Considering everything we know, Meliodas being the strongest would not be odd at all. Being stronger doesn't mean he can one shot everyone.

nuur mohamed

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are your thoughts on prime meliodas and what kind of character he is ?