Discussion - Gowther | Page 6 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Gowther

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Yes, I don't think he was emotionless, it would not fit with what Fraudrin said. The way I understood it he was explaining how Meliodas felt.

We don't see him smiling like that in the present too.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Dunno, I think gowther being a doll is at least somehow related to his commandment. Gowther so far not only does not have emotions but he also does not have anything that would make him unique. Usually you can tell different races apart by how their magic feels. However gowther does not even register as a demon nor does he have demon like qualities. Perhaps he was simply sealed in a doll after the war or something. It wouldn't be too strange if his commandment made people turn into dolls though.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty sure the author just kept the speech bubble squared because that's Gowther's thing.

Given that we know folks of other races can be selected for Commandment duties, it's possible that Gowther isn't a demon. Plus, we know from Merlin that he was a creation of a powerful magician.

Hmm, I imagine someone probably thought of this before, but what if the Albion were created by the person who created Gowther? That might mean Gowther, while not a demon himself, is a weapon for the demons, like the Albion. What if Merlin's birthplace was destroyed because of the potential of beings like Gowther and what else his creator could create? It would explain Merlin's actions when it comes to Gowther. She knows he's a dangerous weapon and keeps him in check. He's also, potentially, one of the last reminders of her birthplace.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I still think Merlin lied when she said that. His lack of "heart" is because he is a doll but he had emotions before, so if Merlin said the truth it'd mean that he was a doll with emotions, and I find it odd.

Dunno, I think gowther being a doll is at least somehow related to his commandment. Gowther so far not only does not have emotions but he also does not have anything that would make him unique. Usually you can tell different races apart by how their magic feels. However gowther does not even register as a demon nor does he have demon like qualities. Perhaps he was simply sealed in a doll after the war or something. It wouldn't be too strange if his commandment made people turn into dolls though.
Though the effect is different, Estarossa did use an attack called Blackout. And @Gallon mentioned that he has probably a mark on his forehead since it's always hidden in flashbacks, it's probably the case.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I still think Merlin lied when she said that. His lack of "heart" is because he is a doll but he had emotions before, so if Merlin said the truth it'd mean that he was a doll with emotions, and I find it odd.
We know his lack of heart is due to his Commandment's curse. She only brought up the fact that the doll form is his true form, but didn't speak about his emotion issue.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Though the effect is different, Estarossa did use an attack called Blackout. And @Gallon mentioned that he has probably a mark on his forehead since it's always hidden in flashbacks, it's probably the case.
In Japanese, Gowther's Blackout and Estarossa's Blackout share the same Katakana, but have different Kanji.

In Kanji, the techniques translate into Great Power Outage for Gowther and Dark Regression for Estarossa.

ShadowCT6

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
As I @Demonspeed and @Gallon pointed in the side story thread, Gowther had already been cursed in the time of the flashback of the main story. So, I am starting to think that Gowther was cursed becaused he stole Drole's magic eye before the war start in order to load it on himself. Remember that Drole in that flashback is already missing one eye What do you think about this theory?

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
As I @Demonspeed and @Gallon pointed in the side story thread, Gowther had already been cursed in the time of the flashback of the main story. So, I am starting to think that Gowther was cursed becaused he stole Drole's magic eye before the war start in order to load it on himself. Remember that Drole in that flashback is already missing one eye What do you think about this theory?
By cursed you mean affected by his Commandment? I don't think it's the case. He was most likely active during the war and got affected by it before its end. Meliodas's departure was the trigger and Gowther left before the beginning of the war, he being affected by it so rapidly would be weird IMO.

If he had taken Dolor's eye I think Dolor would have recognized him at Vaizel(there is still the possible change of appearance but still), I also don't see why he'd do that. I am starting to believe that Dolor was born with one eye as well, just like with his four arms for a silly reason.

ShadowCT6

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
If he had taken Dolor's eye I think Dolor would have recognized him at Vaizel(there is still the possible change of appearance but still)
I know that you believe that the past-Gowther had a different power other than Invasion, but if not, Gowther may had changed Dolor's memory after stole his eye. And it is possible you have a brief and sudden remembrance despite of being affected by one the skills of Gowther, what may had happened with Dolor when he saw the Sin Of Lust at Vaizel. Check out this example:

Last edited:

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I know that you believe that the past-Gowther had a different power other than Invasion, but if not, Gowther may had changed Dolor's memory after stole his eye. And it is possible you have a brief and sudden remembrance despite of being affected by one the skills of Gowther, what may had happened with Dolor when he saw the Sin Of Lust at Vaizel. Check out this example:
Isn't Elizabeth the one remembering things here?

I don't believe he had a different Magic for sure but I think it's a possibility, I am assuming he had Invasion unless proof to the contrary. If someone really stole his eye, I think it's Gowther's creator rather than Gowther himself. But with Invasion anything can happen.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
About the relationship between OGowther and Merlin, I think that rather than being related, he was her disciple. Nakaba said she quickly surpassed her master so he can't be that and he also she has had several disciples, yet the only one we know is Vivian. Gowther has been created with the ransformation and loaded with many things like Balor's Eye.

When the item was introduced Merlin said she made it at the request of an old royal family, and that's because they wanted to find Holy Knights, which means she was at least interacting with Humans. We also know that it was long ago because Merascylla does know the item even though she has been trapped for 3000 years. My theory is that OGowther was her disciple and he got it from her, the kind of gifted disciple who turned wrong(or perhaps he was like that from the beginning), her philosophy might even have influenced him. This or they were partners often working together like Dolor and Gloxinia and things turned wrong.

We don't know how strong and old she was when the Beliaruin incident happened but she clearly dreads the Commandments, and yet she was confident that she could beat both Fraudrin and Grayroad. OGowther not only has Invasion, he is a Wizard like her, has high Magic Power and should be able to use several spells like Merlin and Vivian + Demon powers, that would make him one of the most dangerous Commandment. He being involved in Belialuin incident would make sense. I think Gowther has been created there and that's why Nakaba didn't want to reveal his birthplace in the second data book.

Rigval

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
I definitely think Gowther's power level up will go up. But to what amount? And how will he power up? New doll upgrades? :teehee

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I definitely think Gowther's power level up will go up. But to what amount? And how will he power up? New doll upgrades? :teehee
He doesn't need upgrades. Gowther never lost his power to begin with, it was just suppressed by his armor. 50K+ will be the bare minimum for every Sin. And Papa Gowther's PL is probably in the 60K range. I don't think he is inferior to Monspiet and Derrierie at least.

Rigval

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
He doesn't need upgrades. Gowther never lost his power to begin with, it was just suppressed by his armor. 50K+ will be the bare minimum for every Sin. And Papa Gowther's PL is probably in the 60K range. I don't think he is inferior to Monspiet and Derrierie at least.
If so, I think his power level will be similar to Merascylla and Gloxinia. Merlin did call him a powerful magician. Very high magic number, like 50k. 1500 strength and 3000 spirit.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So recently Diane and King ran into the original gowther and we got to learn a fair bit about gowther himself. So the question I have here is, what exactly happened to gowther that made him loose his emotions? Looking at what we know, it doesn't seem like gowther was actually afflicted by a commandment.

First things first, as we could see doll gowther is a distinct being created by the original gowther. At least when both of them talk with dolor-diane we see them acting independently. Which means doll gowther never received a commandment. And perhaps more importantly, doll gowther never had the dark eyes characteristic of demons. Basically, he was never even a demon. He is just a doll, plain and simple. A doll that became properly alive.

So since doll gowther never received a commandment, we know he can't currently be afflicted by one. The original gowther is dead and a commandment's death supposedly releases victims of his commandment. With that in mind, there is no way the current gowther is afflicted by a commandment because the original gowther is dead. And this would also be consistent with doll gowther not afflicting every selfish person around him with a commandment.

More importantly, when gowther wakes up 3000 years later and runs into bartra's little sister gowther is as we had just seen him during the war. He wasn't the emotional blank we see now. So the accident is not even from 3000 years ago but rather recent. Well, recent within the past several decades. Now, it is plausible that by the time he woke up his memories were affected but his emotions seemed to be there.

So.... what happened? One thing I have been thinking about is that the issue here is plain old trauma. No accident or malfunction but rather gowther simply shut down as a result of what went on with nadja. And then he simply wasn't able to... reboot I guess.

Any other thoughts?

Rigval

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
I think when Gowther threw away his Heart it caused him to lose his memories. I can sympathize with Gowther. It really hurts to see someone you love deeply die.

Rigval

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Gowther is mostly an ally to the sins. But he does stuff that can be detrimental to sins from time time. Hes cray cray sometimes. :derp I think Gowther represents another sin. The selfishness.

He modified Guilas memory so her brother Zeal is less important to her, which isnt the true Guila since Zeal is extremely important to her. Then he erased Zeals memory altogether so he would stop getting in Gowthers way. Just so he could experience what love is. He erased Dianes memories to see if feelings were stronger than memory loss, which almost caused her to be killed by the 10 commandments. Not good. He tried to abandon the sins at Camelot to fulfill his own desires of gaining his heart back (kind of ironic since he threw it away in the firSt place) . He would fight his own comrades just so he could possibly gain his heart back. This whole paragraph screams "gowther is selfish".

He was unstable to the point Merlin made him wear a power stabilizing armor and medicine to control his temper tantrums, and most recently an anti rampage bracelet.

Merlin will have to babysit Gowther so he doesn't get too crazy.:teehee

ShadowCT6

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
After all this time, we finally know (almost) everything about Gowther. The mystery is finally solved. I just think that Nakaba keeps avoiding to show all the potential that Gowther's powers has for plot purposes. That's sad.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
After all this time, we finally know (almost) everything about Gowther. The mystery is finally solved. I just think that Nakaba keeps avoiding to show all the potential that Gowther's powers has for plot purposes. That's sad.
I still find his mood swings pretty mysterious, I'd like to know how he was created and what are all his functions too.

Papa Gowther was confident enough to think he could beat Zeldris. This enough puts him comfortably above the other Commandments with a PL of 50K IMO.

smokeesid

Reaction score
Country
India
I still find his mood swings pretty mysterious, I'd like to know how he was created and what are all his functions too.
It's the emotions that prevents a person to do the things Gowther becomes tempted to do. He has the experience of emotions but he cannot feel them now. It's those experiences that are causing him to search for his heart and for his mood swings

Last edited:

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Interesting reveals about the two Gowther.

From his talk with King at the bar I suspected that he was unable to digest food.

Now we know for sure Papa Gowther's lover was a Demon.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting reveals about the two Gowther.
I mean, it's not that uncommon to have characters that aren't normally human be unable to get drunk.

It's kind of weird that he gave Gowther...you know, the ability to pleasure others lets say, but not give him the rest of the organs to eat and stuff. What were your priorities original Gowther?