Discussion - The Goddess Clan Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Goddess Clan Thread

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
With the appearance of an actual Goddess in the present storyline, I imagine it's time to finally give The Goddess Clan their own thread.

What we know so far:
  1. Implied to have been at a impasse with the Demon Clan that couldn't be broke until Mel's defection.
  2. Disappeared alongside the Demon Clan after the latter was sealed.
  3. Apparently sealed in multiple objects across Britania, including a sword and Horn.
  4. Have Apostles of which Elizabeth is one of.
  5. Are worshiped heavily by the Druid Clan.
  6. Are capable of healing and implied to be capable of reviving someone from death.
  7. Implied by some crazy dude to have created the animals of Britania.
  8. ...Have wings?
  9. Are very...busty...
  10. Other stuff I missed.
So yeah, here's the official Goddess Clan thread. Let the discussion begin.

Last edited:

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I'm going to draw a parallel between NnT and Bastard!! since they appear to have some elements in common.
To me the Goddess clan represent the angels, while the Demons represent well the demons and Satan is the demon king.
The Goddess clan have even an angelic appearance so the comparison stands.
In Bastard!! the angels initially appear to punish humans, the main character dies and is transported to hell, as it turns out he's the antichrist and the son of Satan. Where I'm going with this you might ask. Well the demons (in Bastard!!) were also sealed. Sounds familiar?

Anyway the way the angels and demons are portrayed in Bastard!! is that the angels have a very extreme and warped sense of justice, which involved them killing countless human lives including those of the "friends" of the MC. That is why the MC hates them actually. The demons are no better, they are particularily cruel and want to usher a "negagenesis".

So while by all means the demons in NnT are bad, they want to exterminate humans, but I think the Goddess clan fall under the extreme and warped sense of justice type of character. So they too could have blood on their hands.

As to why the Goddess clan and the demons have been having this ancestral feud, once again I cannot help but go back to Bastard!! and look at the explanation there. Demons are fallen angels in Bastard, and at their head is Satan. So in NnT too I can see the demons being fallen Goddesses and having been tempted by the equivalent of Satan, aka the demon king. Might even be he's called that, or Lucifer.

In terms of power, both Satan and the demon king could have unparalled power, this is reinforced by the fact that the DK made the decrees.

So to the Goddess clan the demons could be seen as monstruosities and unholy, and more than that their feud has to do with who will claim the world for itself. And just like in the past the humans will be caught in the middle, and some naturally siding with the Goddess, while others with the demons. Heck the demons even have someone who can typically force those who turn his back to him into submission and a forced state of adoration.

We could also explore the Christian themes in the manga, to further establish this parallel. For example the demons have their commandments and while this is something that would make them closer to Christianity, when they're well demons, the Goddess clan would represent Pagans, which is further reinforced by the fact that they use the Horn of Cernunnos, who is by all means a Pagan god.

So there's clearly a Christian theme going on, and this feud could represent the one that the Church had with Pagans in the past, in the era the Arthurian legends take place in. Also it might explain why the demon king possibly broke from the Goddess clan if we take the fallen Goddess route. Having something like the 10 commandments would make him closer to God, than actually Satan or the Devil. So basically the demon king had a God complex (just like Satan in Bastard!!) and he broke from the Goddess clan and established the demon one. Assuming there was only one demon king, and not more.

So in conclusion the hatred the Goddess and demon clan have for each other runs very deep if it turns out the DK was a former Goddess. And that they saw him as an heretic.

I do not think the Goddess clan were sealed in objects,the Horn is by all means a way to communicate with them, so it's not the same as Denzel's swords which btw are druid swords. Basically the Goddess clan lost their physical bodies, because they exhausted their power at the end of the war. That doesn't mean death to them, as they prolly always needed the AoTGs to manifest on earth. Once again in Bastard!! angels are spiritual by nature, while the demons have physical bodies. So the angels/Goddess clan can still exist without a physical body.
When the Goddesses aren't possessing someone, they can decide to reside in an object.It's basically the same as a genie, but it's because they have lost their physical bodies.It's like an intermediate state, I doubt they're really sealed in objects scattered throughout Britannia. I see it as Denzel summoning the Goddess in his sword first, as it wasn't meant for him to use the power now. So when he's not using the Goddess power, she resides in the sword. If after this the Goddess disappears completely,and doesn't return to the sword, then that means she's not sealed inside the sword. And who could have the time and power to seal each and every Goddess inside an object? Sorry it makes little to no sense.

Ban's comment was just about her presence and how he recognized it, which just proves that it was indeed a Goddess speaking to Ban through the horn. It doesn't actually mean that the Horn itself houses a Goddess.

Anyway those are my thoughts atm.

Last edited:

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not think the Goddess clan were sealed in objects,the Horn is by all means a way to communicate with them, so it's not the same as Denzel's swords which btw are druid swords. Basically the Goddess clan lost their physical bodies, because they exhausted their power at the end of the war. That doesn't mean death to them, as they prolly always needed the AoTGs to manifest on earth. Once again in Bastard!! angels are spiritual by nature, while the demons have physical bodies. So the angels/Goddess clan can still exist without a physical body.
When the Goddesses aren't possessing someone, they can decide to reside in an object.It's basically the same as a genie, but it's because they have lost their physical bodies.It's like an intermediate state, I doubt they're really sealed in objects scattered throughout Britannia. I see it as Denzel summoning the Goddess in his sword first, as it wasn't meant for him to use the power now. So when he's not using the Goddess power, she resides in the sword. If after this the Goddess disappears completely,and doesn't return to the sword, then that means she's not sealed inside the sword. And who could have the time and power to seal each and every Goddess inside an object? Sorry it makes little to no sense.
Reside is the better term. I said sealed because, during the time I wrote the thread, I thought that the ritual Denzel did to release the Goddess was strikingly similar to the one Hendy did to release the Demons. Both are basically blood rituals that require one to recite a words in order to release the being inside. They may be of different quality, but that's how I made my connection. I probably jumped the gun, but I believe that the Goddess speaking to Ban wasn't telling him the complete truth as to why they lost their bodies.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Reside is the better term. I said sealed because, during the time I wrote the thread, I thought that the ritual Denzel did to release the Goddess was strikingly similar to the one Hendy did to release the Demons. Both are basically blood rituals that require one to recite a words in order to release the being inside. They may be of different quality, but that's how I made my connection. I probably jumped the gun, but I believe that the Goddess speaking to Ban wasn't telling him the complete truth as to why they lost their bodies.
Of course she's not telling the whole truth because the author doesn't want to have too much exposition about the Goddess clan at that point, and is instead keeping it for later... but I don't think that any of these goddesses are sealed in those objects, especially the horn. I don't think there is a reason to doubt that the Horn allows communication with the Goddess clan, just like it turned out it's a real Goddess who was speaking to Ban, and not a demon like some have been saying.His comment is just there to confirm that it is indeed a Goddess talking to him since he felt the same presence.And he said that before Death Pierce confirmed that it's a Goddess too.
Because they lost their ability to manifest physically, the Goddess can temporarily choose to reside in an object, related to the druids preferrably since Denzel's two swords are blessed by the druids. Of course the rituals will be similar since both are druid based.So what could have happened is that Denzel contacted the Goddess clan through the Horn, and he then later had one of the Goddesses reside in his sword. The Horn is also in Liones so it is feasible.

Last edited:

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
So what did that goddess mean when she told Ban killing Mel will bring harmony among the 4 clans? Ban even asked her what she meant but flat out ignored him. Surely they seen Mel die and come back alive do they know about demon king feeding of him to regain his strength? This is out there but maybe the goddess regaining there bodies has something to do with the demon king coming back.

Yakkun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So what did that goddess mean when she told Ban killing Mel will bring harmony among the 4 clans? Ban even asked her what she meant but flat out ignored him. Surely they seen Mel die and come back alive do they know about demon king feeding of him to regain his strength? This is out there but maybe the goddess regaining there bodies has something to do with the demon king coming back.
At first I thought they said it because he is an uncontrolable wildcard and has basically disrupted the balance by tipping it in the direction that the demon clan was nearly defeated but then, why would the goddesses NOT want that? They benefitted from Meliodas' influence the most, I guess. They wanted the demon clan dead and nearly got what they wanted. So I am not sure. Maybe that goddess was also lying to Ban for some reason. You can't exactly trust them either, nothing suggests they are the good guys just because they have this angelic theme.

I'm feeling strongly reminded of Bastard!! here where the angels were just as merciless bastards as the demons were, slaughtering mankind for their so-called sins.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Now that we know more about the demon king and Mel, to me it means they knew about his curse, and how the demon king is pretty much trying to take over Mel's body.Although killing him would accomplish just that... Or maybe they're just still afraid/salty about Mel.
I think it's safer to assume it's the latter for now.

oxtopus

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Now that we know more about the demon king and Mel, to me it means they knew about his curse, and how the demon king is pretty much trying to take over Mel's body.Although killing him would accomplish just that... Or maybe they're just still afraid/salty about Mel.
I think it's safer to assume it's the latter for now.
Or maybe for some reason,they want ruthless Mel and the demon king to be revived.

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
At first I thought they said it because he is an uncontrolable wildcard and has basically disrupted the balance by tipping it in the direction that the demon clan was nearly defeated but then, why would the goddesses NOT want that? They benefitted from Meliodas' influence the most, I guess. They wanted the demon clan dead and nearly got what they wanted. So I am not sure. Maybe that goddess was also lying to Ban for some reason. You can't exactly trust them either, nothing suggests they are the good guys just because they have this angelic theme.

I'm feeling strongly reminded of Bastard!! here where the angels were just as merciless bastards as the demons were, slaughtering mankind for their so-called sins.
The fact their Goddess in a manga where the Seven Deadly Sins are the heroes is telling.

Yakkun

Reaction score
Country
Germany
The fact their Goddess in a manga where the Seven Deadly Sins are the heroes is telling.
Fair enough, I guess. But we will see.

I wonder if Nakaba will introduce another counter-group to the Sins AND the Commandments with the goddess clan, all-female of course and they win over Ellie as their leader...

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
Fair enough, I guess. But we will see.

I wonder if Nakaba will introduce another counter-group to the Sins AND the Commandments with the goddess clan, all-female of course and they win over Ellie as their leader...
What about the Seven Virtues along with the goddess leader? What do you mean win over Ellie as their leader? If you mean Ellie becomes their leader then no way she's just Apostle of the Goddesses.

SpectrumRay16

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What about the Seven Virtues along with the goddess leader? What do you mean win over Ellie as their leader? If you mean Ellie becomes their leader then no way she's just Apostle of the Goddesses.
This might just be my personal interest on this side... if the virtues did show up, they would be on par with members of the ten commandments and thus, i would not see them as very threatening to the sins after they've all trained and beaten their respective opponent among the demons. However, what if the virtues did show up and that is one of the ways that the true nature of the goddess clan comes out?
Unless the virtues end up battling against some of the holy knights instead, or other people like Matrona?
If they do get integrated into the plot, i do wonder where they will be placed... because all i'm thinking right now is they know all the answers to 3000 years ago and probably others things as well, like why does Escanor have his ability and where did it come from. Those kinds of things!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What I find weird here is that during the flashback induced by zaratras mel only made a reference to defeating the ten commandments and not the goddess clan. Isn't that weird? It makes me wonder if mel thinks of the goddess clan as eventual enemies. On the other hand perhaps the phrasing used by meliodas when speaking with merlin at that time has some other meaning to it.

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
So the goddess equivalent to the 10 commandment are the 4 Archangels interesting. I'm guessing they serve directly under the leader of the goddess clan. So high up do you think a lance corporal is in the goddess clan? If we go by rankings in real life there will still there still a lot of higher ranks to the top.

LivewireToriko

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
I really doubt each is worth two.

I just think they're magic is super effective so it allows them to oneshot even if they're the same level.

If all four are truly stronger than two commandments in terms of sheer power, and not because of magic affinity, how are the rest of the sins(other than Meliodas and Escanor) ever supposed to fight them?

King will probably be a little stronger than Glox.

Diane a little stronger than dolor.

I guess gowther can beat one because hax.

In ban's case it depends on what kind of power up he gets when he gets his treasure, I really doubt the goddess clan is going to physical powerhouses.

No idea with Merlin.

Meliodas himself seems to be worth two and he's the strongest demon barring the demon king.

Zeldris thought groups of two were enough to keep everyone safe when Meliodas regained his power.

Dolor said he'd have trouble with two at once.

Meliodas said it was questionable he could beat two at once if they were on his guard.

Even back in the day when he was in his prime he killed two commandments and then defected(although we don't know the circumstances).

I'm just pointing out that two commandments seems to be the theme with Meliodas here.

And Escanor.................yeah.

So how is the rest of the group supposed to deal with people worth two commandments when they're captain himself seems to be worth two commandments.

No way any of them will be stronger than him.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am not sure I would interpret this as one of the four being equal to two commandments. Moonspiet made the point that things would have been different had deriere fought one of the 4 but in turn that does not necessarily mean she would loose outright. Also, there are 4 virtues but alongside that there are the 3 graces and there is the possibility that there is also a king of the goddesses as well.

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
Why can't they take on 2 of the weaker commandments at once? Mel and Escanor have done so easily at that as well without being no where near there peak. These are 4 beings who prime Mel couldn't kill during all the wars they had.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well assuming this theory is correct the graces could be a entire different rank.

Nameless Fodder

Divine Lance Corporal

3 Graces

4 Archangels

^ Something like that.

I agree with two commandment thing though. It just means she most likely would have had a much harder time instead of oneshotting like she did, not necessarily losing outright.

I'm sure they have a leader. Every clan seems to have a leader except the humans (dolor, Glox, King, demon king, etc), I don't know why your assuming it's a "king" though, when it's most likely a "Queen".

The entire clan seems to be female. Although this does bring into question how they reproduce in the first place if everyone is female, unless they're made out of light/magic or something, or steal men from other races....................and yeah.

Although that second option seems to be a little too dark for a shonen.

Or there could be men but they're just not important.
Well, it would definitely be a different rank. Though it does sound weird that there would be more of a higher rank than a lesser one.

King, queen.... Whichever lol.

Didn't we see a male looking goddess? The one meliodas ended in estarosa's flashback? I do not expect them to kidnap men for their purposes lol.

nuur mohamed

Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe the 4 great angels names are the same names that the archangels have in the bible. But besides that what role do you think they will have in nnt.