Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 258 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Question prompted to look it up, number of new series per year according to wikipedia (going by issue numbers rather than actual release dates because it's easier)

1968 - 7 series
1969 - 19 series

1970 - 33 series , 1980 - 20 series , 1990 - 14 series , 2000 - 13 series , 2010 - 8 series
1971 - 19 series , 1981 - 19 series , 1991 - 10 series , 2001 - 11 series , 2011 - 10 series
1972 - 15 series , 1982 - 19 series , 1992 - 14 series , 2002 - 10 series , 2012 - 12 series
1973 - 13 series , 1983 - 14 series , 1993 - 10 series , 2003 - 11 series , 2013 - 11 series
1974 --- 9 series , 1984 - 11 series , 1994 - 17 series , 2004 - 12 series , 2014 - 14 series
1975 - 10 series , 1985 - 13 series , 1995 - 13 series , 2005 --- 9 series , 2015 - 13 series
1976 - 16 series , 1986 - 14 series , 1996 - 12 series , 2006 - 11 series , 2016 - 8 series
1977 - 15 series , 1987 - 13 series , 1997 - 14 series , 2007 - 10 series
1978 - 12 series , 1988 - 16 series , 1998 - 11 series , 2008 - 13 series
1979 - 16 series , 1989 - 13 series , 1999 - 13 series , 2009 - 14 series

granted the list counts special short term series like the later Toriyama stuff but this year is actually the joint lowest in terms of new series (and is likely to stay that way unless something ends in issue 50).

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Do you guys want to see me depressed? Don't make me remember about Naoki Iwamoto and his long time to come back to Jump! D:
With Miura Tadahiro success now I believe that it is possible to come back and make success after being unfairly cancelled. Wish luck to Naoki Iwamoto as always.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you guys want to see me depressed? Don't make me remember about Naoki Iwamoto and his long time to come back to Jump! D:
With Miura Tadahiro success now I believe that it is possible to come back and make success after being unfairly cancelled. Wish luck to Naoki Iwamoto as always.
I hope he comes back too. Has he even done anything since illustrating that one light novel? I should reread Magico, adding that one guy into the story may have been the equivalent of canceling himself but I did still like how it ended and I still haven't even started translating Section 459 after I rescanned it, I honestly forgot it existed again.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
He done a oneshot called Meteor Syndrome earlier this year.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I hope he comes back too. Has he even done anything since illustrating that one light novel? I should reread Magico, adding that one guy into the story may have been the equivalent of canceling himself but I did still like how it ended and I still haven't even started translating Section 459 after I rescanned it, I honestly forgot it existed again.
Yeah, his whereabouts are unknown right now, I hope he didn't give up or something... I also want to reread, I bought the collection, but still had no time read. Do you mean the last villain? I think he just made up that character and that arc because he received cancellation notification, otherwise it would be completely different.
I still cry of joy when I remember that scene when Luu evolves(?). *-*

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, his whereabouts are unknown right now, I hope he didn't give up or something... I also want to reread, I bought the collection, but still had no time read. Do you mean the last villain? I think he just made up that character and that arc because he received cancellation notification, otherwise it would be completely different.
I still cry of joy when I remember that scene when Luu evolves(?). *-*
Nah, the guy who wanted Emma to be with him instead of MC. I forget most of the plot, been a while since I read it. I should pick up the set some time, I remember seeing an old oneshot of his in the last volume but I was waiting for a chance to get it a bit cheaper since I had to ban myself from buying any more stuff.

Ihore

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Kave

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
translation?

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yuno and Asta on a cover is a certain dream come true. I love it.

vampire killer

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
The newest volume of Black Clover should see big increase of sales with the Ova coming out and the two covers. I hope is sell 300k.

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
From reading the latest chapter it's easy to assume that Toriko can literally end in 1-2 chapters.
I guess we need to look out for when WSJ gives it a CP.

Varus

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
England
Is Asta sitting on a grimoire? and why is Juno there he only shows up once every 25 chapters :huh
And for any of the Japanese speakers is there something happening between One Piece and Kimetsu no Yaiba?

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Is Asta sitting on a grimoire? and why is Juno there he only shows up once every 25 chapters :huh
And for any of the Japanese speakers is there something happening between One Piece and Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Juno is just an example of countless botched executions of generic elements on Tabata's part.
I feel like Juno's role thus far in the story is akin to Gen 3+ Pokemon rivals. They grew up around you you, they've always been a bit more advanced than you, you started your journey's at the same time but went in different directions yet supporting each other from afar, occasionally you meet up and foil some crazy plot, kick some major ass, etc, before going back on your separate ways to continue your individual adventures and steps to your goal. Juno/The Rival is a childhood friend, but also a mentor, but they don't see themselves as a mentor, just being helpful, but regardless they also see you as a rival they are himself is competing against.

The problem is we don't see Juno like this, he's just this really strong guy from Asta's orphanage who joined the different team and just shows up sometime that the story bluntly tries to convince us that the two are great friends and somehow rivals despite the fact that Juno is way too fucking OP and honestly, power scaling in this series is going to be a huge fucking issue.

This is the difference between Tabata and Horikoshi.
If anything, I'd say Horikoshi is very very good at making his character relationships feel real (excluding the recent Uraraka thing, I'm not really behind it). He'd be able to nail this kind of thing if he was writing Black Clover.
Everything would feel a lot more fresh and fluid because Horikoshi writes characters that feel like real characters rather than stock characters, and he's pretty great with pacing which Tabata is.... Well, not.
The power scaling as well. The kids in Hero Academia are strong, and they've grown, but they still have A LOT of room to grow at a rate that will feel natural.
Now I know Clover and Hero Academia are different types of manga. Hero Academia is more grounded in tone than Clover, but if the power scaling continues to just become too OP it will cause a Toriko effect. where it just becomes ridiculous. Toriko was able to keep it going with just ridiculousness for a while because Shima is a good writer, but Tabata really isn't... I see this being a Toriko level success. Maybe 400 chapters. I think it will become truly bizarre by the end though. Make the latter parts of Naruto and Bleach a memory.

Black Clover may be readable at this point (despite still crucially flawed) but y'know, Santa might have as well if it got to run for over a year and a half.
Black Clover definitely has a permanent place in the magazine now and I'm accepting of it, but part of me still wishes it's spot could have been taken by something else more deserving (in my opinion).

Last edited:

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Nah, the guy who wanted Emma to be with him instead of MC. I forget most of the plot, been a while since I read it. I should pick up the set some time, I remember seeing an old oneshot of his in the last volume but I was waiting for a chance to get it a bit cheaper since I had to ban myself from buying any more stuff.
Then I have no idea right now. I also have to reread. XD
There is no better place to buy it than Buyee. The entire set was 680 yen, the shipping was 3200 yen, but still it was cheaper than Amazon, for example.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Nisekoi and Kochikame collaboration? Now this is unorthodox. XD
At least Nisekoi sold well enough to not be forgot for good after ending like I imagined. I'm glad.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It is clear that they were demonstrating how to use hyperbole in an efficient way. Gintama already had anything that a series could have, nothing is "big announcement" anymore.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could anyone link me to the Gold one shot raw?

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Tabata's comment about the color covers was funny

PatrickJGM

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
In Oda comment (translated by ms), is that psvr refers to playstation vr?

Status
Not open for further replies.