Mobile - iOS, Android or Windows? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mobile iOS, Android or Windows?

Taorero

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since we have one that is a little more global I wanted to open a thread similar to the OS one but for phones, see what your opinion and preferences regarding phones is.

To be fair I want to give proper intro good comparison to both iOS and Android devices:

Apple: All about design and latest in tech (or at least that's what people sometimes believe). Also with other apple products life seems to be easier and perfectly in sync.

Android: The apps freedom, variety. In this case I would say android actually has a pretty wide market for every type of customer, from the cheap phone to the ultra high ones.

In reality it all comes down to simply Android or iPhone... and that is where I would say something like:

Windows!

Seriously... Not joking around. Phones are extremely stable and if you don't actually care about the popular apps that everybody seem to need in order to breath (snapchat) then WP10 is better than the rest.

I wanted to know what you guys think about that, anyone have tried windows?, complains about Android, Apple? Or maybe you use a different kind of device.

Last edited:

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I own four Androids (tablets and phones), an Iphone (one of the latest I believe) and three Windows phones. The best experience I have had has been on Android and then Iphone. The Windows phones have been nothing but nightmares for me though, from the hardware to the software. I will never look at a Windows again...well, except for their ultra beautiful camera capabilities. :datass

Taorero

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
What kind of nightmares with WP, is an interesting topic for me (kinda biased) lol, depending on the use you give phones things tend to change quite a lot. The usual complain about the WP is the lack of apps. And lately it was the issue with WP not upgrading to 10. So far I've been using WP for quite a bit and had an Android for uber.

Can't say my Android was bad, but mom's is terrible. When compared, a low-end Windows phone is far superior in terms of performance than the Android low-end phone. I'm basing this comparison on storage, speed, reaction time and performance. And top tier. Couldn't say. However, my current phone is still faster than a GS7, or the edge.

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
What kind of nightmares with WP, is an interesting topic for me (kinda biased) lol, depending on the use you give phones things tend to change quite a lot. The usual complain about the WP is the lack of apps. And lately it was the issue with WP not upgrading to 10. So far I've been using WP for quite a bit and had an Android for uber.

Can't say my Android was bad, but mom's is terrible. When compared, a low-end Windows phone is far superior in terms of performance than the Android low-end phone. I'm basing this comparison on storage, speed, reaction time and performance. And top tier. Couldn't say. However, my current phone is still faster than a GS7, or the edge.
The most important complaint I had was that for four phones straight the batteries would poop out within half a year from light usage (I make a phone call a day at most, required by work) and then the buggy OS, poor navigational decisions and then finally poor app support. I did like that most low end Windows phones had use storage, decent camera quality and was "sturdy".

Taorero

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
The most important complaint I had was that for four phones straight the batteries would poop out within half a year from light usage (I make a phone call a day at most, required by work) and then the buggy OS, poor navigational decisions and then finally poor app support. I did like that most low end Windows phones had use storage, decent camera quality and was "sturdy".
I don't want to sound like a broken disc here but I found it quite interesting that all those problems you mention, I can give exactly the same with Android.
Not apps support though. But given the fact that I'm not a fan of social media trends or phone games I'm ok with the ones I had to use. Instagram you could say was my only constant fight. And they have a very good one now. App support comes from app developers not actually windows. So blame shold go to others but again, people don't know that they just point fingers.

Regarding navigational issues. My dad does Uber, and I can't tell you how many times is Google Maps in the Samsung epic fails him. He often goes to his WP to get an actual GPS location or route to wherever he is going.

Never had a buggy OS so can't argue you a reason for that. One thing I know is that the constant updates on Android are not always good for phones since they get slower, sometimes the update can even break the -phone (saw that one today at work), whereas windows will simply say... "can't update the device" (as it happen with the Win10 update)

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
In my country iPhone is very expensive, almost 50% more expensive than similar Android phones, so it loses on that front. My uncle has an iPhone and it has failed him when it comes to navigation but it takes quality pictures. My cousin has a Windows phone and he's pretty content with it, I don't have much information about its features or lack of though. Most people I know use Android phones, it has more free application support compared to iPhone and possibly Windows phones, and AFAIK has better customization options than iPhones, so it's many people's choice.

Taorero

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
With windows is a never ending cycle... Not many apps and not many users that prevent people from making apps... so is a cycle there that no one is willing to break. For example, big companies are suppose to make their own software, like Facebook, Twitter, etc... Social media in general. Couple of days ago I received a message from Kakao Messenger service stating that support for windows is ending. I'm pretty sure this is due to lack of users and servers for windows may be costly in comparison with android (specially with low users). Now the solution seems to always be "stop support" instead of coming with a merge support. The big hook on Android is the "free" thing. Android is accessible for everyone so in terms of support is better but also vulnerable.

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
In my country iPhone is very expensive, almost 50% more expensive than similar Android phones, so it loses on that front. My uncle has an iPhone and it has failed him when it comes to navigation but it takes quality pictures. My cousin has a Windows phone and he's pretty content with it, I don't have much information about its features or lack of though. Most people I know use Android phones, it has more free application support compared to iPhone and possibly Windows phones, and AFAIK has better customization options than iPhones, so it's many people's choice.
The navigation system with Apple is what really blows me the most compared to windows or android. It's trash compared to them. Can you get by it? Of course but it's seriously lacking and the service wanders like crazy. I have AT&T which has alot of towers in America. But if told you how many times my service just went blank when using the Maps app, not because of AT&T, but because of Apple it would be be awhile. I honestly can tell you most people own iPhones because of iMessage, FaceTime, and just menial features. That's the only reason I have an iPhone, Androids are superior to them, just not as fashionable.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Similar to Pat's case, iPhone is really expensive here in Indonesia. However, it's not like it is rare. I even often saw some own one. It is not as in demand as Android though.

Windows phone is quite rare here.

Can't really say which is better since I only use Android currently and never use the other two for a long time.

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Why is Android in such demand?

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Why is Android in such demand?
Because it's more affordable probably.
I hate the Windows phone UI with a passion, and I have never felt the tempation to own an overpriced Apple product when I can and have gotten far superior devices for less.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Problem with saying that is that a lot of Apple fanboys will say nothing is superior to Apple. As an iPhone owner and former Android owner, I can say that while iPhone is solid, I miss Android/Samsung Galaxy.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Problem with saying that is that a lot of Apple fanboys will say nothing is superior to Apple. As an iPhone owner and former Android owner, I can say that while iPhone is solid, I miss Android/Samsung Galaxy.
As many people have likely said before, you're buying the brand. I have many people with problematic Iphones. I just was never really a digital consumerist anyway.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It's not just the brand, but they genuinely think iPhone is superior, from camera quality to software. It's ridiculous.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It's not just the brand, but they genuinely think iPhone is superior, from camera quality to software. It's ridiculous.
We call them fanboys.

iPhone is too expensive for what it offers in my opinion. Software quality depends. Android market has a lot of crapware with questionable device permissions. It is pretty stable if you don't fill it with random shit.

Reactions: M3J