Discussion - Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki Thread

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
The Official Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki Thread

This is the home for Ichiya discussion.

Ichiya is widely considered the best treated character outside of Fairy Tail. There is simply no denying he embodies all the major themes of the manga - nakama/friendship and fanservice. The chauvinistic stuff and him being easy-diffed is just for laughs and gags.

I'll list some incredible facts and feats from this man.

1) Ichiya's 7 year search for Fairy Tail's Tenrou group

You cannot read those character notes without feeling some admiration for this man. Hiro is clearly showing that his 'gag' character is somewhat a mistake from other guilds, because it is fact that Ichiya has a big heart. Never gave up trying to track them down. I don't know about you, but if I went missing I would want Ichiya to be my friend. And consider this - FT members probably make fun of him too, yet he still searched for them for years. *wipes tears*

2) Ichiya's epic defence of FT guild, and Ichiya the commander of Fiore forces.

This is heroism at it's finest.

Just look at Natsu's face in the bottom panel. Hiro drew that panel to perfection, perhaps you could argue the only thing missing are some held back tears. Facts - Ichiya shows his quick thinking while enduring crippling injuries to shield the FT guild from Wall's anti-matter cannon. After tanking that, he still has the presence of mind to call on the rest Fiore's forces.

If Ichiya hadn't have done this, Sherria wouldn't be in the south to beat DiMaria and Age Seal. You could argue Larcade would still be active if Ichiya hadn't put the word out to Sabertooth.

Of course, he was returning the favour to the Raijinshuu, who definitely deserve credit for such an amazing show of bravery and friendship.

It should also be noted that FT members were rather rude to Ichiya before this act of courage.

3) Ichiya is someone Laxus looks up to, and the Trimens greatly respect Ichiya

We know how much Laxus is worshiped around here. So it should be recognised that Laxus sought to better himself by observing Ichiya in his guild. By the end of the Spin-off, Laxus finally realised Ichiya's greatness... we don't have panels, but this is what @Linali translated for us "Laxus seems to finally understands a bit, what is Ichiya's strength". That's facts ladies and gentlemen.

The trimens also greatly admire their leader. Ichiya is revered by them as a person even more so than a mage. Hibiki outlines it clearly...

4) Ichiya is handsome

Erza is easily one of the best looking females in the manga. Her thoughts on Ichiya...

Proof that Ichiya is hot stuff, and that Wendy has a lot of learning to do.

I could continue this wank. But I already made a wall, so I congratulate you for reading this far

Last edited:

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I never expected you actually make this thread :XD

Some may hate him, but I never hated and will never hate him. His character is enjoyable, refreshing, inspiring, and hilarious. I have never thought he is that young before - he is 37 now! :gwah I thought he is forties.

It's good that he did good things like vs Wall's robots, sacrifice, and being Laxus and the others' role model.

I wonder where he is now after Universe One...

Ichiya cosplay:

GamerSkull

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is one of those threads I didn't know I wanted but am glad exists. :teehee

In all seriousness, I know Ichiya is disliked by many but for some reason, I'm especially fond of his gags. (I'm not sure what this says about me though...) :confused:

Mashima should totally have a comedy spin-off for him. I'd read it. I wonder what his full backstory is. ;)

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!
I never expected you actually make this thread :XD

Some may hate him, but I never hated and will never hate him. His character is enjoyable, refreshing, inspiring, and hilarious. I have never thought he is that young before - he is 37 now! :gwah I thought he is forties.

It's good that he did good things like vs Wall's robots, sacrifice, and being Laxus and the others' role model.

I wonder where he is now after Universe One...

Ichiya cosplay:
He's the reason Acnologia hasn't returned yet. He's being a champ and holding him back for as long as he can. ;)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
By the way, I heard Ichiya's Japanese voice actor is the same as Aizen.... is this true?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I did exaggerate a fair bit in the OP, but I do genuinely believe he is a solid character. His gags are funny, but at his core he's got some very admirable traits.

My favourite Naruto character was Might Guy. I think they share some similarities like being a gag character + being a solid character.

By the way, I heard Ichiya's Japanese voice actor is the same as Aizen.... is this true?
I think so. Ichiya would beat that guys hypnosis sword with ease (I can't remember it's power)

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
True. Read this. Both are subbed by Shou Hayami.

I admit Shou Hayami has a sexy, golden voice. He is the seiyuu for many popular anime characters, like Tohsaka from Fate Zero.

I better subscribe this thread :teehee

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
:nod

Ichiya being the final villain confirmed :x3

He's the reason Acnologia hasn't returned yet. He's being a champ and holding him back for as long as he can. ;)
The whole Reason behind casting Universe One was to take away Ichiya from the FT guild hall :true

GamerSkull

Reaction score
Country
United States
True. Read this. Both are subbed by Shou Hayami.

I admit Shou Hayami has a sexy, golden voice. He is the seiyuu for many popular anime characters, like Tohsaka from Fate Zero.

I better subscribe this thread :teehee
I don't think I'll ever not be thinking of Ichiya whenever Aizen speaks now.

Could you imagine him going "Meeeeeen!" when Urahara screwed him over? :toc

I can't stop laughing now. :XD

(I'm so sorry. I couldn't help myself.)

EmptySoul

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Yeeeeees:arf

Someone finally made a thread to contain all that Ichiya greatness:bishie

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't think I'll ever not be thinking of Ichiya whenever Aizen speaks now.

Could you imagine him going "Meeeeeen!" when Urahara screwed him over? :toc

I can't stop laughing now. :XD

(I'm so sorry. I couldn't help myself.)

When the spriggans will be down Ichiya will have a line " Everything like I planned.. Meeeeen! "

Shiro Okami Ryu

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is one of those threads I didn't know I wanted but am glad exists. :teehee

In all seriousness, I know Ichiya is disliked by many but for some reason, I'm especially fond of his gags. (I'm not sure what this says about me though...) :confused:

Mashima should totally have a comedy spin-off for him. I'd read it. I wonder what his full backstory is. ;)

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

Yes, his voice actor also played Aizen.

BrandyThema

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Ichiya thread!!!!! :XD

This probably is me and my weird taste, but I've always liked Ichiya and will never stop liking him :XD He's new, he's funny, he's loyal and he's charming :XD The kind of character that you can't help but have a deep impression on ever since he appeared in the story :XD

I still need my Ichiya-Nichiya meeting btw, Mashima. Can you please make it happen? :hip

Kouichi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Estonia
fanservice
Sure. :datass

I like Ichiya, his character is just plain awesome and unique. The way he showed on the recent arc is totally a badass!
I wonder if he will assist Jellal against August.

Inb4 Ichiya is the final villain that can oneshot all characters and he'll be like "So my puppets are finally executing as what I have planned. Meeeeeen." and marries Irene, he is now the Dragon King:toc

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Irene needs some Ichiya in her life. So what if he smells her scent? Would the two redheads (milf and daughter) be too much for a man to handle?

I need more Ichiya in my life.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Irene needs some Ichiya in her life. So what if he smells her scent? Would the two redheads (milf and daughter) be too much for a man to handle?

I need more Ichiya in my life.
I think Ichiya will either go crazy from 2x Erza... or Irene will go crazy for Ichiya. I'm backing the latter, since that's the most plausible way for Irene to be defeated ;)

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
An Ichiya Thread :faint
I remember once saying to people that Ichoya was treated really well for a side character. Good to see our resident Moderator agrees :nod

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I actually really like Ichiya, he's one of my favorite characters in FT. He provides humor and has strong, admirable traits. He's like a slightly weirder version of Might Guy from Naruto, who I also really like as a character.

The moment I saw him I couldn't resist the smell of his parfum!