Discussion - Merlin | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Merlin

shadow22

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
- Merlin is not a human. She is Bellialins’s daughter. According to Wikipedia:

“ Belial (also known as Beliar) is a term occurring in the Hebrew Bible which later became personified as the devil in Jewishand Christian texts.” It also means “worthless”.

I researched a bit more and It seems like Belial was responsible for the sins of pride, arrogance and madness. Basically, Escanor’s sin.

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
Are Escanor glasses a magic item of Merlin that's used suppress his Sunshine magic?

Marco Polo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If that were the case, surely he'd wear them in his daytime form? So far we haven't seen him wear them once in that state
Also, wouldn't they have made some sort of appearance in the Vampires of Edinburgh backstory?

I think they're for effect (like the moustache)

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
The only time we've seen Escanor day form is when he needed that form to fight someone. Otherwise he's always wearing them and every time we've seen him transfom something always happens to his glasses.

Marco Polo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only time we've seen Escanor day form is when he needed that form to fight someone. Otherwise he's always wearing them and every time we've seen him transfom something always happens to his glasses.
But he's powerless in the night anyway so would they really be necessary? Since I imagine they're too small for him during the day regardless of whether he's fighting or not

Theforsakensoul

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Are Escanor glasses a magic item of Merlin that's used suppress his Sunshine magic?
That's what I was thinking because we've never seen escy in his day form with them. In his game with galan they were cracked when galan patted his back then the following scene he wasn't already transformed. Gowther broke his glasses a second time in vaizel when the he made a crash landing on top of escanor causing his glasses to break as well. The following scenes of him in vaizel were all with out his glasses in his day form. Then there's also the fact he swiped away Gowthers glasses during their fight probably as a way to get back at and antagonize Gowther for what happened to him. In the end only times we've seen him with glasses were fringe his might form.

Should probably mention that when he was massaging Merlin during her bath he did have his glasses and it was day time yet he didn't transform so maybe there's some truth to this theory after all.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
If that were the case, surely he'd wear them in his daytime form? So far we haven't seen him wear them once in that state
Also, wouldn't they have made some sort of appearance in the Vampires of Edinburgh backstory?

I think they're for effect (like the moustache)
They always get broken before he can transform. That's why we haven't see day time escy with glasses. Although as I said before in the scene with Merlin bathing he has glasses on and it's daytime yet he still not transforming so this could be evidenced to suggests thise glasses do supresss his powers. Plus this is one of Merlin's inventions so I doubt she'd just make normal glasses that don't have any extra effect. It just wouldn't be that brilliant or anything so there's gotta be something else there.

Also, not sure if I recall right but he didn't always need glasses right? Because iirc in his fb he didn't have any and after getting picked on he transformed. If that's true then some time after meeting Merlin and being with the sins he got it made specially for him. That could be why he didn't have glasses during then VOE. Of course it depends on the timing a sense in when exactly he joined. Like if he joined just as the team wasn't about to set off for Edinburgh then she wouldn't have the glasses made in time. And I get she was studying him for a while even during Edinburgh but he could've been a with them for a month or sth and still not have glasses you know? Who know she maybe Merlin planned on making him some then but forgot a song she often does when she's gets absorbed into other things.

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
What do you think of the idea that Coffin Of Eternal Darkness and the vampire seal are hers?

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
What do you think of the idea that Coffin Of Eternal Darkness and the vampire seal are hers?
Very unlikely. Even her amber was Red and Grey Demons only. Maybe she'll create something similar in the future but I don't think she has an item like that currently.

Theforsakensoul

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Idk if she would've made the vampire seal (the sarcophagus) because the vamps betrayed the demons during the war and Zel was sent to execute them but our of love for gelda he sealed them. If he's the one sealing them then surely he'd have had the sarcophagus made already and honestly I don't see Merlin making it for them especially after the implication that the demons may have had a hand in destroying her home and possibly killing her family. Even if she's the type not to concern herself with that and just focus on her research I still don't think she'd have made it unless she made it to initially seal the demons in just until she or whoever made the COED to do a more effective job. Ofc course that's assuming she already met mel and agreed to help him and the alliance. Although there is the chance she was going to sea the demons anyway but having help would ease the process. The only thing is if she really did make the sarcophagus that's assuming she knew the vamps were going to or already did betray the demons which is doubtful even with her clairvoyance and habit of monitoring the nation. Like this is sth that could've only been known if you were closely following the otherwise or better yet if you were a member of the other side. Although i must say that there is the chance that like the balors eye which she made for a royal family (possibly demon royal family) she might've made the sarcophagus to go with it. Like maybe when they were still on her good side they requested her to make several items for them and she did. Issue here is that if they asked her to do it then why didn't Fraudrin not know who she was right away?

As for the COED it was made by all the clans wasn't it? Like each piece of the seal is representative of the different clans that took a stand against the demons so naturally shouldn't someone from each clan have made their respective pieces instead of just designating one person to make it because keep in mind it's a powerful seal so it'll require a lot of magic power. Now I'm not saying Merlin doesn't have a lot of power but at some point she would run out or the strain would be too great I feel so having others to help out lightens the burden. Ofc if only one faction made it I presume it'd have to be the goddesses (actually i checked and it was made by the goddesses) or obvious reasons but by no means does that Merlin was a goddess. There is evidence to suggest it but there's also evidence to suggest otherwise so the jury is out on this.

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
Very unlikely. Even her amber was Red and Grey Demons only. Maybe she'll create something similar in the future but I don't think she has an item like that currently.
Why very unlikely? Every magic item we've seen used are revealed to be Merlin creations. As for why Coffin Of Eternal Darkness is stronger than the Goddess Ambers that can easily be explained. Like revealing Merlin created the Goddess Ambers as a child. And Coffin Of Eternal Darkness as an adult.

Isaiah Thomas

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey this is My Merlin, Meliodas & Elizabeth theory.

Nerobasta said the Demons & the Goddess came 2 a truce/treaty
what if during this period Meliodas & Elizabeth got together & had a kid in Belialuin Merlin hometown & the DK or whoever had this area destroyed (by the Ten Commandments most likely which is why Merlin freak out when Meliodas mention them)
& Merlin was the only survivor. Then Meliodas officially betray the Ten Commandments because remember Gowther knows Meliodas betrayed the Commandments because of someone he loves
so either Meliodas told Gowther why he is doing what he is doing or Elizabeth was there with him which I doubt.
This will also tie in with the blush face Elizabeth & Meliodas had in chapter 201

Last edited:

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Nakaba was like so you fans have been waiting for answer about Merlin okay I give you her age and ability. But guess what thanks to her heritage possesses a natural resistance to the decrees of the Commandants. Oh she also the daughter of Belialuin which the Ten Commandants know about and are scared of it and she's a survivor from it's destruction. You thought Merlin was her real guess what it's not and humans can't even pronounce her true name either oh and the Ten Commandments are shit scared of it.
I´d say she is from another sub-set (or even ancestor) race of the demons, just like the vampires.
I would vote more on ancestors because humans don´t even understand their language, which they seem to have no problem with demon language.

One thing that I find nice in retrospect is that scene where all the things go around her when meliodas mentions the 10 Commands, we all assumed she was just being her curious/"gluton" for knowledge self, now we know that it was problally rage

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
The truce was because of Meliodas IIRC. There was a war between both clans before, meaning that he and the other Commandments were fighting. Nakaba stated that among the Sins Mel knows Merlin the longest, which means that if she is his daughter, the Commandments didn't exist before the truce or Meliodas didn't know Gowther back then but since Gowther is one of the original Commandments the former is more likely. That's the only possible hole I see in your theory, but I am remembering everything correctly.

I like your theory about Beliaruin.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
The truce was because of Meliodas IIRC. There was a war between both clans before, meaning that he and the other Commandments were fighting. Nakaba stated that among the Sins Mel knows Merlin the longest, which means that if she is his daughter, the Commandments didn't exist before the truce or Meliodas didn't know Gowther back then but since Gowther is one of the original Commandments the former is more likely. That's the only possible hole I see in your theory, but I am remembering everything correctly.
There is also the fact that she has a natural resilience to the Commandments, something that Mel doesn't even have. Unless, of course, that is the power of Demon/Goddess Hybrids.

There is something about the theory that seems off to me, but I can't quite pinpoint it. I think it's the part about Mel and Elizabeth potentially having a child.

The story so far hasn't really shown enough evidence to make me believe that Mel had a child he cared about. Mainly because, back during the Druid arc, it seems Liz dying had more emotional weight to him than anything else in his life, such as the death of his first child or, maybe, Elizabeth 1.0.

I also suspect that Gowther is also from Beliluin, or at least, related to it in some form of fashion, given the amount of knowledge Merlin has about him and his origins. Which makes me think that Beliluin was destroyed sometime after Mel's defection and around the same time Gowther left. I think this is also the reason Merlin takes such care of him. Besides her, he's the last remnant of Beliluin. But I don't think the Commandments know that.

Last edited:

Isaiah Thomas

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There is also the fact that she has a natural resilience to the Commandments, something that Mel doesn't even have. Unless, of course, that is the power of Demon/Goddess Hybrids.

There is something about the theory that seems off to me, but I can't quite pinpoint it. I think it's the part about Mel and Elizabeth potentially having a child.

The story so far hasn't really shown enough evidence to make me believe that Mel had a child he cared about. Mainly because, back during the Druid arc, it seems Liz dying had more emotional weight to him than anything else in his life, such as the death of his first child or, maybe, Elizabeth 1.0.

I also suspect that Gowther is also from Beliluin, or at least, related to it in some form of fashion, given the amount of knowledge Merlin has about him and his origins. Which makes me think that Beliluin was destroyed sometime after Mel's defection and around the same time Gowther left. I think this is also the reason Merlin takes such care of him. Besides her, he's the last remnant of Beliluin. But I don't think the Commandments know that.
Merlin told us earlier only a goddess could remove a commandment curse so if she was a hybrid of both it still fits.

If Meliodas is Merlin father & Merlin is clearly jealous because a 6 year old kid is getting 2 much gifts then Meliodas was a terrible father 2 Merlin growing up who was probably more concern about 1st Elizabeth death then anything else.

Last edited:

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Merlin told us earlier only a goddess could remove a commandment curse so if she was a hybrid of both it still fits.

If Meliodas is Merlin father & Merlin is clearly jealous because a 6 year old kid is getting 2 much gifts then Meliodas was a trouble father 2 Merlin growing up who was probably more concern about 1st Elizabeth death then anything else.
Ah, I forgot about that.

Then, sure, it might be possible Merlin is a hybrid. Beliluan could have been a "safe haven" for demons and goddesses who wanted nothing to do with the war and their hybrid children. I still don't think Mel and Elizabeth 1.0 had a child (though they could've been expecting), but I could see them planning to move there after things settled down.

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
Merlin must of confessed to the supreme demon Mel it's the one which makes sense.

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
Why do you think so?
Well judging by her words I get the feeling they were a fling. Which I can't see good Meliodas being in after he fell in love with Elizabeth. And her age being the other reason.

monrow___

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright there's a theory on Reddit about Merlin being a fallen Angel and I don't necessarily agree with that but I do agree with her being a demon and being gowthers relative. With the newest chapters it would seem that Gowther had an original form and a puppet form. The original Gowther was locked in a cell but for what? Maybe the original Gowther is Belial which is another name they used in the Bible for Lucifer. Since Lucifer/Belial is the king of hell that would explain why his daughter had a natural resistance to the commandments. But kings can be overthrown and maybe that's what happened. Gowther 1.0 seems like a pretty peaceful person to me so it would make sense that if he is the original king Lucifer/Belial why he would have the insane magical power, the ability to give life to a doll, and stop a holy war. Because only someone demon king status would be able to stop a war that a demon king started and it's stated that Gowther 1.0 stopped the war.