Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 126 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually liked Bulge. Maybe it's because I'm not as critical and harsh on the stuff I read, but when I read I could definitely see the potential

savethecat

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Loving Sir as a character so far. I love how realistic his "How would you benefit me" response was. That's a legit question you get in job interviews. And I thought it was a little comical seeing him and Deku fan out about All Might. He's a very interesting character so far imo. Excited to see him mentor Deku

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I actually liked Bulge. Maybe it's because I'm not as critical and harsh on the stuff I read, but when I read I could definitely see the potential
It had a lot of potential, I agree... Or is it just us being manipulated by viz hype? If I'm not mistaken Bulge was the very first series they start following the new serializations in Japan (jump start or something). Isn't?

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I have a question which may or may not already answered.

How does Shuiesha know which series to push? How does Shuiesha know which series will be super popular to print the number of copies accordingly? Is there a sudden increase in readers survey? Shuiesha send employee into school /street/mall to investigate?

I'll be more specific. How does Shuiesha know the popularity of Assassination Classroom to have 300,000 copies 1st print (which it reached 263k in about 2 weeks)?

(not comparing any series here), but how do they know AC have potential to reach 300,000 1st print, instead of Haikyuu (sport so probably not), Shokugeki (ecchi so probably not), MHA , Black Clover, Promised Neverland (120,000 first print). The only series that had 300,000 first print is One Piece 20 years ago.

and I believe AC never leave the top 4, same as One Piece.

There is a period of 8 weeks before the first ranking, and a period of 16 weeks before the first volume released.
Like there must be something/ a sign that make Shuiesha go: Holy cow we need to print 300,000 copies asap. What is that something?

fixed~, thanks for pointing out.

Last edited:

SoldadoInvernal

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

How does Shuiesha know which series to push? How does Shuiesha know which series will be super popular to print the number of copies accordingly? Is there a sudden increase in readers survey? Shuiesha send employee into school /street/mall to investigate?

I'll be more specific. How does Shuiesha know the popularity of Assassination Classroom to have 300,000 copies 1st print (which it reached 263k in about 2 weeks)?

(not comparing any series here), but how do they know AC have potential to reach 300,000 1st print, instead of Haikyuu (sport so probably not), Shokugeki (ecchi so probably not), MHA (120,000 first print), Black Clover, Promised Neverland (120,000 first print). The only series that had 300,000 first print is One Piece 20 years ago.

Like there must be something/ a sign that make Shuiesha go: Holy cow we need to print 300,000 copies asap. What is that something?
The TOC. If i'm not mistaken, they printed a lot of copies for Zumou too.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia

(not comparing any series here), but how do they know AC have potential to reach 300,000 1st print, instead of Haikyuu (sport so probably not), Shokugeki (ecchi so probably not), MHA (120,000 first print), Black Clover, Promised Neverland (120,000 first print). The only series that had 300,000 first print is One Piece 20 years ago.

There is a period of 8 weeks before the first ranking, and a period of 16 weeks before the first volume released.
Watch the drama Juhan Shuttai. In fact I would recommend everyone here watch it. It follows the editorial department of a fictional manga magazine (equivalent to Shounen Magazine irl) and they go through all this. Its amazing stuff, Bakuman from an editors POV.

They know the rankings instantly and monitor each week. We see them 8 weeks later, but Shueisha has already known for ages, hence why they can already decide to cancel series like Demons Plan before they even rank in the magazine. They have a sales dpt that goes out to all the book stores in an area and ask to display new series in prime places, and also judge the demographic of each store so they can work out from that general sales numbers. Book stores in Japan are quite different than they are in the West. The store clerks know a lot about their customers and the books they sell, what new series have been popular lately ect. They work closely with different editorial departments.

I cant remember specifics, but there are a ton of statistics which would allow them to come to the 300k. They probably use online too nowadays. X series is getting Y times as many votes as said popular series did so it might be Y times as popular. Stuff like that.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The thoughts on the end of Demon's Plan

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Watch the drama Juhan Shuttai. In fact I would recommend everyone here watch it. It follows the editorial department of a fictional manga magazine (equivalent to Shounen Magazine irl) and they go through all this. Its amazing stuff, Bakuman from an editors POV.

They know the rankings instantly and monitor each week. We see them 8 weeks later, but Shueisha has already known for ages, hence why they can already decide to cancel series like Demons Plan before they even rank in the magazine. They have a sales dpt that goes out to all the book stores in an area and ask to display new series in prime places, and also judge the demographic of each store so they can work out from that general sales numbers. Book stores in Japan are quite different than they are in the West. The store clerks know a lot about their customers and the books they sell, what new series have been popular lately ect. They work closely with different editorial departments.

I cant remember specifics, but there are a ton of statistics which would allow them to come to the 300k. They probably use online too nowadays. X series is getting Y times as many votes as said popular series did so it might be Y times as popular. Stuff like that.
That's interesting...I gotta check out this drama.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was too open ended in my opinion. You can't just end the series by introducing multiple new plot threads like that (Charlos joining Dogma, that girl's brother joining Dogma, her brother and Chalros' upcoming battle, turmoil within Dogma, the whole new demon realm). Eustass joining Boros could've been done better, but oh well. They also shouldn't have introduced that Dogma gang or whatever until they were sure the series would last at least 30 chapters. The ending could have been improved if he just ended it with Eustass joining, a panel of him and Boros doing some sort of camaraderie gesture like a fist bump, and the two of them staring off into the sunset with the words "and their adventure continues". Or something like that.

Either way, hopefully this guy uses this manga as a learning experience and returns with a better series because I liked his character designs, and that demon only realm looked really cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

DyanSon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

MHA don't have 120k on its first print like Neverland,BC and Hinamuro. MHA pretty much underestimated.

Swavey

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
MHA don't have 120k on its first print like Neverland,BC and Hinamuro. MHA pretty much underestimated.
I don't remember Hinomaru and Black Clover receiving 120,000 on their first print could you source that?

DyanSon

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I don't have but i thinks people here talk about it on 2015-2016 thread but I'm pretty sure Neverland have 120k.

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Neverland received 120K for sure, but I don't remember HZ and BC getting that much. I could be remembering that wrong. MHA definitely didn't. I remember it sold 70K, but that's only because it was out of stock everywhere. It could have sold more.

SkerllyFC

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
It was too open ended in my opinion. You can't just end the series by introducing multiple new plot threads like that (Charlos joining Dogma, that girl's brother joining Dogma, her brother and Chalros' upcoming battle, turmoil within Dogma, the whole new demon realm). Eustass joining Boros could've been done better, but oh well. They also shouldn't have introduced that Dogma gang or whatever until they were sure the series would last at least 30 chapters. The ending could have been improved if he just ended it with Eustass joining, a panel of him and Boros doing some sort of camaraderie gesture like a fist bump, and the two of them staring off into the sunset with the words "and their adventure continues". Or something like that.

Either way, hopefully this guy uses this manga as a learning experience and returns with a better series because I liked his character designs, and that demon only realm looked really cool.
Clearly these authors don´t wanna develop things at a slow pace for fear to be cancelled. They want to hook the audience earlier because that´s what you´re supposed to do as a comic author. It´s just that they don´t understand how to do it slow but consistent.

Under this light, how do you see U19´s development by now? Too much or little? IMO, I think the romance plot could´ve wait but it didn´t show much of the adult party to maintain the hook

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
Clearly these authors don´t wanna develop things at a slow pace for fear to be cancelled. They want to hook the audience earlier because that´s what you´re supposed to do as a comic author. It´s just that they don´t understand how to do it slow but consistent.

Under this light, how do you see U19´s development by now? Too much or little? IMO, I think the romance plot could´ve wait but it didn´t show much of the adult party to maintain the hook
Nothing wrong with the romance, in fact it's less generic this way.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
BC only got 38000 on it's first printing.

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I love the art; can't wait for translations!

Status
Not open for further replies.