Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 137 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Galaxy Gang isn't good enough for Jump ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

shoyoboyo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Galaxy Gang isn't good enough for Jump ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Most of the shit that is serialized in Jump is worse than Galaxy Gangs. cough cough Black Clover

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I agree, though a manga that has a set romance that gets explored in flash backs periodically as well as follow whatever the story is about could theoretically survive but the likely hood of a story like that ever being made is slim to none.
I repeat: Inuyasha... Obviously not a jump series though.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
There's no such thing as a shounen romance manga, they all end before any actual romance starts.
Japanese romance stories, especially media like Manga, Anime, Light Novels, and Dramas, tend to be written up to the point when the two people in focus get together. Shounen series, which are written towards 10-15 yr olds, even more so as they've never had many relationships or even much contact outside of general banter and school talk with the opposite sex. They also have societal pressures of getting into good high schools, club activities, cram school, etc to really focus on a relationship. Its not that it doesn't happen but the buildup to the beginning is more relatable than actually having a full blown relationship. It is fun to watch the aftermath of the confession and getting together but then writers will start to throw in misunderstandings to, in their mind, keep the story interesting. It doesn't help that there is almost never a good adult or upperclassman to help them along or "show them the ropes" if you will.

Many new, young writers currently are also influenced by more "Otaku" stories. The new generation of mangaka all grew up reading lots of manga and most likely watching lots of anime that has come out in the last 10 yrs, a period that is seeing a shift to more "otaku" plotlines so that also doesn't really help the situation of writing a good, heartfelt romance.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Most of the shit that is serialized in Jump is worse than Galaxy Gangs. cough cough Black Clover
It's sells, anime and toc positions disagrees with you...

Probably HZ will be the next one to be canceled.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Ecchi is not the main point of Shokugeki no Soma, it is just a feature, a well used feature by the way. One of the few that makes ecchi useful.
What do you think it is a well used ecchi?
Yup, a feature that's abused for most food reactions and is suppose to some sort of shock value? It's pretty pointless and the writing is subpar at times but that's a different discussion.

I don't know...but SnS certainly doesn't fall under that category.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Japanese romance stories, especially media like Manga, Anime, Light Novels, and Dramas, tend to be written up to the point when the two people in focus get together. Shounen series, which are written towards 10-15 yr olds, even more so as they've never had many relationships or even much contact outside of general banter and school talk with the opposite sex. They also have societal pressures of getting into good high schools, club activities, cram school, etc to really focus on a relationship. Its not that it doesn't happen but the buildup to the beginning is more relatable than actually having a full blown relationship. It is fun to watch the aftermath of the confession and getting together but then writers will start to throw in misunderstandings to, in their mind, keep the story interesting. It doesn't help that there is almost never a good adult or upperclassman to help them along or "show them the ropes" if you will.

Many new, young writers currently are also influenced by more "Otaku" stories. The new generation of mangaka all grew up reading lots of manga and most likely watching lots of anime that has come out in the last 10 yrs, a period that is seeing a shift to more "otaku" plotlines so that also doesn't really help the situation of writing a good, heartfelt romance.
Is jump's demography even interested in "good, heartfelt romance"? All of them have at least harem or ecchi as subgenres. And it's probably because of them that the series have any fanbase anyway.

If you want good romance plots you should go to a shoujo/josei demography magazine.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
No bullshit, Kishi said in that Boruto interview that Sakura's role was to create the "love triangle" aspect of Team 7. It's no question that part played apart of why Naruto and it's shippers were so into the story and why it blew up with its success.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is jump's demography even interested in "good, heartfelt romance"? All of them have at least harem or ecchi as subgenres. And it's probably because of them that the series have any fanbase anyway.

If you want good romance plots you should go to a shoujo/josei demography magazine.
Not sure if this manga is a shounen but I thought the romance used in Samurai Usagi was handled decently.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Not sure if this manga is a shounen but I thought the romance used in Samurai Usagi was handled decently.
Well I'm not quite sure but... Samurai Usagi did not have romance as within its subgenres... At least MAL did not put it in there.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I'm not quite sure but... Samurai Usagi did not have romance as within its subgenres...
While that is true it could have since the MC's whole character development revolved around him learning to love his wife and do anything possible to make her happy.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
No bullshit, Kishi said in that Boruto interview that Sakura's role was to create the "love triangle" aspect of Team 7. It's no question that part played apart of why Naruto and it's shippers were so into the story and why it blew up with its success.
Sakura's characterization in the beginning was also done that way was because kishimoto back then , like lots of mangaka, light novel writers, etc., didn't actually know even the smallest bit of how adolescent girls think. He once said that he thought back then that it was perfectly right that Sakura would be that one track minded with her crush on Sasuke.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
While that is true it could have since the MC's whole character development revolved around him learning to love his wife and do anything possible to make her happy.
Even so... We can't quite put this manga as a "masterpiece" of the romance shounen...

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even so... We can't quite put this manga as a "masterpiece" of the romance shounen...
No no you misunderstood me I wasn't saying it should be considered a masterpeice I was merely stating that it handled romance pretty well for something that wasn't classed as a romance.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
No no you misunderstood me I wasn't saying it should be considered a masterpeice I was merely stating that it handled romance pretty well for something that wasn't classed as a romance.
Yes, yes... I get it... But we need good references for this discussion to continue... I still think the best romance/wtv was inuyasha.... Can't rememebr any from jump that caught my attention...

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
^ Video Girl Ai (the first 13 volumes not counting Lens).

But let's be real, any shonen romance in Jump will probably going to be romcom, whether you like it or not. Pure Shonen Romance will never be as popular as shojo romance.

TM2

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Just trying to gauge something here. What are some of your favorite Romance protagonists regardless of medium and what did you like about them? (manga, movie, game, theater ect.)

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's sells, anime and toc positions disagrees with you...

Probably HZ will be the next one to be canceled.
What is your point? Again, you're trying to use sales to gauge how good a manga is. Especially a series with such mediocre sales in relation to how much it's being pushed by Jump. Most people agree that Black Clover isn't a good manga.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
What is your point? Again, you're trying to use sales to gauge how good a manga is. Especially a series with such mediocre sales in relation to how much it's being pushed by Jump. Most people agree that Black Clover isn't a good manga.
No sir... I did not said "sales"... I said sales, ANIME AND TOC positions... Something can't be that bad with all these things combined. And again I don't think BC is a good manga for starters (despite being in my list for the best ongoing manga in Jump [you can see how much I dislike the rest of the magazine nowadays]... But at least it seems better than Zumou since the latter is unable to get an anime (So far).

It's ok if you dislike it though.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
That's your opinion so it's cool.

But then why they got serialized while Galaxy Gangs is not? In fact, even the author himself is doing a sport manga. Galaxy Gangs isn't even the winner of GFC 2015.

A great one shot =/= a good WEEKLY manga.

Devily-man, Hungry Joker, Himedol (After School☆Idol) were all GFC winners, but they all got axed within 2 volumes.

Since 2008, Beelzebub and Hinomaru Zumou were GFC one shots turned into series that manage to avoid the axed.

Status
Not open for further replies.