Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 143 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
My first impression of Black Clover is that it was like someone took the comedically generic Jump battle shounen you see in gag series and made it into a real thing. That's fine though, it's probably not going to draw much of really obsessive fans that most of the big battle shounen get but being nice and safely generic makes it perfectly suited to a weekly magazine format, it's cool and flashy and fun and generally just a nice thing to read each week.

This is also something relevant to talk about BC. There's very very few female characters. Almost zero fanservice, no harem, no ecchi, nothing... Just good old fighting and nonsense.
Are you sure you've read Black Clover?

xAsum0x

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Asta got that harem going strong

Azure Warrior

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Come on guys, there were two big reasons why people enjoyed Shinmai Fukui Kiruko-san to begin with.

No matter why it had so much fanart for a dead series.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now i am curious, how do you guys judge a manga series?

For me, it's really simple, whether I enjoy it or not, the "good" part can come in later. Do I look forward to the next chapter is important? I also don't like to compare two works.

And I've read every genre except for horror. Shojo, Shonen, Kids, Seinen and that principle hasn't change for 12+ years.
I judge a manga series in three ways: 1. How well I enjoyed the first 10 chapters, which usually is the very first arc of a series. 2. General theory of where the author will take the series as a whole (I'll admit that this is usually where I place a series to read on the shelf to pick back up later). 3. Walk away from a series then re-read what I've read and see how I feel about it after sometime away from it, and if I still enjoy it then I catch up to the current chapters.

DyanSon

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Stahp the fighting :notlikethis

I love both BnHA and BC because I judge them to be above and beyond as Shounen manga. I feel exactly the same about SnK, which is even higher.
I like both but i don't sugar coat both of them is just MHA has a better writing than BC

Last edited:

Azure Warrior

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meh, the same old Black Clover debates are just beating a dead horse at this point.

And this is me saying this in the nicest way possible.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
1 - Yes, not ATM. I said by the time the anime was announced.
Black Clover Vol 9 Sales - 131,749 in 16 days (3rd week charting).
As said before, MHA Vol 6 Sales - 175,287 in 5 Days.
They are not even close, MHA had it curb-stomped 3 volumes earlier, probably more if we looked back further. That's considerably more than double...

On the topic of how I judge a new series, generally enjoyment is the number 1 factor. But just because I might enjoy something, doesn't mean it will survive. Having a solid premise and well built characters are probably the biggest things to look out for if you want a decent clue on what will survive, At least that's what I figure looking at the latest failures.

We can bitch about BC as much as we want, but it did have a good premise layed out early and did a good job focusing on the characters that had been introduced (little were we to know that would be the extent of the series' depth). Stuff like Demons Plan and the like had poor, vague premises with uninteresting characters that even after 10 chapters we knew nothing about and cared very little for. Compare that to Neverland for example, and the premise is fully layed out in the first chapter, and just a few chapters in each of the main characters + villain have clear personalities and quirks, and we can even start to feel for them.

Of the latest 3, Poro probably had the most well layed out first chapter and identity. His friend is a bit boring, but we'll see where that goes. The Demon world was one of the better things in the chapter and felt like it had personality. U19 had an interesting premise but the characters fell kind of flat. We Never Learn didn't particularly succeed at anything, but it didn't need to, just appeal to the romance audience in Jump. Still think it will survive off Nisekoians. Although it is too early to judge, after 5 chapters it should be pretty clear how things will go.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
RIP Ole Golazo. Just read up to chapter 11 and it seems like next week is the last chapter. Banba the man, you will be missed.

Avok

Reaction score
Country
Do you honestly, truly believe that Black Clover gets first place due to popularity? Because if so, then you just keep losing the little credibility you had left.
I do.
Black Clover is Shonen Jump: The Manga, so I don't see any reason it wouldn't be popular among the Japanese readers.

Swavey

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Do you honestly, truly believe that Black Clover gets first place due to popularity? Because if so, then you just keep losing the little credibility you had left.
The credibility of the rankings is always up for debate but if a manga is consistently ranking extremely well then I'd take that it is popular within the magazine but I don't think anyone should hold the rankings highly it is all fun and games in the end.

IHateAsta

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
To be fair the first 50 smoething chapters of BC were OK , especially the zombie one or whatever it called (CH21-34) , but seriously its no where near good as MHA.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It does not matter what your rainbow mind thinks about it. nº1 (not only a single time for that matter) is number one.

I think that most people should judge a series based on how much they enjoy it. My mindset is that if you're not an aspiring critic/reviewer/whatever then you shouldn't be looking for all the little mistakes in a manga.
Ok so first you say that there is no popularity and bashes people because of their likes and opinions... And now you're saying that "we should not look the little mistakes"? hahaha. Funny. Pretty much all opinion that matter is yours? Nah...

My first impression of Black Clover is that it was like someone took the comedically generic Jump battle shounen you see in gag series and made it into a real thing. That's fine though, it's probably not going to draw much of really obsessive fans that most of the big battle shounen get but being nice and safely generic makes it perfectly suited to a weekly magazine format, it's cool and flashy and fun and generally just a nice thing to read each week.

Are you sure you've read Black Clover?
Not only read. I translate since chapter one. Show me constant ecchi, harem and stuff like Yuragisou does, like Souma does, hell like One Piece does with Nami and minor characters.

I'm obviously assuming that you're referering to my statement about "few female characters". If you're implying that I'm a "fan" or BC... Well I'm not... In fact I like MHA much more.

Black Clover Vol 9 Sales - 131,749 in 16 days (3rd week charting).
As said before, MHA Vol 6 Sales - 175,287 in 5 Days.
They are not even close, MHA had it curb-stomped 3 volumes earlier, probably more if we looked back further. That's considerably more than double...

On the topic of how I judge a new series, generally enjoyment is the number 1 factor. But just because I might enjoy something, doesn't mean it will survive. Having a solid premise and well built characters are probably the biggest things to look out for if you want a decent clue on what will survive, At least that's what I figure looking at the latest failures.

We can bitch about BC as much as we want, but it did have a good premise layed out early and did a good job focusing on the characters that had been introduced (little were we to know that would be the extent of the series' depth). Stuff like Demons Plan and the like had poor, vague premises with uninteresting characters that even after 10 chapters we knew nothing about and cared very little for. Compare that to Neverland for example, and the premise is fully layed out in the first chapter, and just a few chapters in each of the main characters + villain have clear personalities and quirks, and we can even start to feel for them.

Of the latest 3, Poro probably had the most well layed out first chapter and identity. His friend is a bit boring, but we'll see where that goes. The Demon world was one of the better things in the chapter and felt like it had personality. U19 had an interesting premise but the characters fell kind of flat. We Never Learn didn't particularly succeed at anything, but it didn't need to, just appeal to the romance audience in Jump. Still think it will survive off Nisekoians. Although it is too early to judge, after 5 chapters it should be pretty clear how things will go.
Wow, there's a whole HINOMARU ZUMOU of difference. It's indeed amazing... And sad at the same time.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
To be fair the first 50 smoething chapters of BC were OK , especially the zombie one or whatever it called (CH21-34) , but seriously its no where near good as MHA.
Nobody said that it is. Still, it beats MHA sometimes at the "allmighty" TOC. It sells way more than some "beloved" series of some people here. It will have an anime.

What else you guys want to at least acknowledge that it can't be that bad. And I'll go further... The last 2 chapters of BC were WAY WAY better than MHA to say the least.

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
As much as I love BC's Quirkiness, I have to agree and say MHA is a superior Shounen manga. The anime is really faithful and well done too. Season 2 will be amazing I'm certain.
It does not matter what your rainbow mind thinks about it. nº1 (not only a single time for that matter) is number one.

Ok so first you say that there is no popularity and bashes people because of their likes and opinions... And now you're saying that "we should not look the little mistakes"? hahaha. Funny. Pretty much all opinion that matter is yours? Nah...

Not only read. I translate since chapter one. Show me constant ecchi, harem and stuff like Yuragisou does, like Souma does, hell like One Piece does with Nami and minor characters.

I'm obviously assuming that you're referering to my statement about "few female characters". If you're implying that I'm a "fan" or BC... Well I'm not... In fact I like MHA much more.

Wow, there's a whole HINOMARU ZUMOU of difference. It's indeed amazing... And sad at the same time.

Nobody said that it is. Still, it beats MHA sometimes at the "allmighty" TOC. It sells way more than some "beloved" series of some people here. It will have an anime.

What else you guys want to at least acknowledge that it can't be that bad. And I'll go further... The last 2 chapters of BC were WAY WAY better than MHA to say the least.
Yeah Aster's Demon Transformation really perked my ears up. Same with the Witch Queen's Blood Magic.

ChocoBar9

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do.
Black Clover is Shonen Jump: The Manga, so I don't see any reason it wouldn't be popular among the Japanese readers.
So was Demon's Plan and that got canned.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Swavey

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
That is your opinion try to phrase stuff a bit better and please stop trying to force a rivalry between Academia and BC you are comparing a slow build up chapter and an arc's final battle just drop it.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You really like to grind people, huh. There's a difference in days, which I'm sure you're choosing to ignore. By 16 days, MHA had sold almost 250k, which is 118K MORE than BC had 3 volumes LATER. Hardly a HZ of difference. It's an overwhelming difference...

Gikiseima

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Just read poro,story not my type,but author art is really nice especially in the coloring

Ch 2 u19, mc have the weird power, a sewing?
Need more chapter before judge this series

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The only new series this year I think could be really good is We Can't Study honestly. U19 seems tacky and Poro just isn't my type, per say.

Bigivelfhq

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I think that most people should judge a series based on how much they enjoy it. My mindset is that if you're not an aspiring critic/reviewer/whatever then you shouldn't be looking for all the little mistakes in a manga.
Aspiring critic/reviewer/whatever shouldn't either!
This video top 30 series by copies per volume, and their respective Anime Studios:
(1)4,100,000 -> One Piece (Toei)
(2)3,900,000 -> Slam Dunk (Toei)
(3)3,700,000 -> Dragon Ball (Toei)
(4)3,700,000 -> Hokuto no Ken (Toei)
(5)2,600,000 -> Yu Yu Hakusho (Pierrot)

(6)2,500,000 -> Death Note (Madhouse)
(7)2,100,000 -> Hunter x Hunter (Nippon/Madhouse)
(8)2,100,000 -> Rurouni Kenshin (Gallop/Deen)
(9)1,900,000 -> Naruto (Pierrot)
(9)1,900,000 -> Captain Tsubasa (Tsuchida Pro/Comet/Group TAC)
(9)1,900,000 -> Dr. Slump (Toei)

(12)1,700,000 -> Cobra (TMS)
(13)1,400,000 -> Rokudenashi Blues (Toei)
(13)1,400,000 -> Prince of Tennis ( Trans Arts/M.S.C)
(13)1,400,000 -> Dragon Quest (Toei)
(13)1,400,000 -> City Hunter (Sunrise)

(17)1,300,000 -> Kinnikuman (Toei)
(18)1,200,000 -> Bleach (Pierrot)
(19)1,200,000 -> Saint Seiya (Toei)
(20)1,200,000 -> Assassination Classroom (Lerche)

(21)1,100,000 -> Yu-Gi Oh (Toei/Gallop)
(21)1,100,000 -> Bastard!! (AIC)
(21)1,100,000 -> Hikaru no Go (Pierrot)
(24)1,000,000 -> Kuroko no Basket (Production I.G)
(25)*,870,000 -> Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (David Production)

(26)*,810,000 -> Shaman King (Xebec)
(27)*,790,000 -> Kochikame (Gallop)
(27)*,790,000 -> Sakigake!! Otokojuku (Toei)
(29)*,760,000 -> Gintama (Sunrise)
(30)*,710,000 -> Hitman Reborn (Artland)

(Interesting Note: Toei Animation has 1 series in all the top 5 divisions)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.