Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 162 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Shokugeki no Soma and Nisekoi never had such thing though, by what I can remember.
We know that Eichiro Oda is the busiest mangaka in manga market right now and he never did such a thing either. I think we are seeing the slow and fast drawers here.
No one claimed for it to happen with every mangaka. Some have low or high involvement. Typically if the mangaka has to help with additional stuff aside from the anime then it's very possible to have unfinished art. For example with Toriko's case, it had the crossover chapter, movie (not sure how much he contributed), tons of color pages & at least some involvement in the anime (regarding what to keep/omit).

SnS has a separate artist & writer. The art would barely ever be uncompleted...

So no you didn't see the slow/fast drawers from here.

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shokugeki no Soma and Nisekoi never had such thing though, by what I can remember.
We know that Eichiro Oda is the busiest mangaka in manga market right now and he never did such a thing either. I think we are seeing the slow and fast drawers here.
Oda has made a lot of mistakes in the chapters and his art can get quite sloppy at time. He has sent in his share of chapters with unfinished panels or stuff he didn't draw in and then fix it in the tankabon version.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
No one claimed for it to happen with every mangaka. Some have low or high involvement. Typically if the mangaka has to help with additional stuff aside from the anime then it's very possible to have unfinished art. For example with Toriko's case, it had the crossover chapter, movie (not sure how much he contributed), tons of color pages & at least some involvement in the anime (regarding what to keep/omit).

SnS has a separate artist & writer. The art would barely ever be uncompleted...

So no you didn't see the slow/fast drawers from here.
Conveniently taking the example that fits your argument is easy. Komi Naoshi and Eichiro Oda are lone authors and I don't see authors doing more or less job in anime promotion, all of them has to do promotional material, I followed Nisekoi closely so I can tell. I don't have to talk about Oda, right? He's taking breaks now, but he passed more than a decade managing the most popular manga series ever flawlessly.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Oda has made a lot of mistakes in the chapters and his art can get quite sloppy at time. He has sent in his share of chapters with unfinished panels or stuff he didn't draw in and then fix it in the tankabon version.
I never ever saw scratchy things like Toriko pages, for example. The problem is when it is noticeable.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Conveniently taking the example that fits your argument is easy. Komi Naoshi and Eichiro Oda are lone authors and I don't see authors doing more or less job in anime promotion, all of them has to do promotional material, I followed Nisekoi closely so I can tell. I don't have to talk about Oda, right? He's taking breaks now, but he passed more than a decade managing the most popular manga series ever flawlessly.
It's like you haven't read the first few sentences of my post.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Jeez... I read the entire thing... Nevermind..
Anyway, I hope Japanese readers don't comply with this and vote for them that much.
Horikoshi doing such thing is an interesting case because My Hero Academia already had a season and I don't remember any occurrence of incomplete chapters. They are really promoting My Hero Academia this time? Although I don't think the problem with the anime was promotion.

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never ever saw scratchy things like Toriko pages, for example. The problem is when it is noticeable.
They are noticeable people just don't make a big deal over it because it happens so often.

SkerllyFC

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
Let's not forget D.Grayman Hollow I say this because everyone already has forgotten about it.
Why is it that I see some people hating on the new D-Gray Man animation? Is it just because, or is it the elitist manga fan thinking of "the manga is better anyways"? I heard it was good

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why is it that I see some people hating on the new D-Gray Man animation? Is it just because, or is it the elitist manga fan thinking of "the manga is better anyways"? I heard it was good
The adaptation pretty much covered what was the worst arc of the manga and skipped pretty much everything before the Jump Square move, there was also the new voice cast choices and the lackluster animation throughout. Overall it didnt capture a new audience or satisfy existing fans.

Last edited:

SkerllyFC

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
The adaptation pretty much covered what was the worst arc of the manga and skipped pretty much everything before the Jump Square move, there was also the new voice cast choices and the lackluster animation throughout. Overall it capture a new audience or satisfy existing fans.
So it´s that a failure? Because the series doesn´t have much of an audience to say that it failed

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
So it´s that a failure? Because the series doesn´t have much of an audience to say that it failed
Its a failure because it was a piss poor production (they still haven't released DVD/BDs yet because they're trying to fix all the animation blunders) a lot of fans hated the changes to the voice cast, didn't do anything to increase sales of the manga and left people unsatisfied. Yeah its a failure people don't talk much about Hollow because they've forgotten about it.

Koi Kage

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
That certainly was . . . something different then the other new series that's come out so far. I'm going to be as straight forward as possible that was a rough 53 pages to read through, I'm not exactly seeing how this could ever be a battle series, the romance side of the story it's going to be one of those that is almost unbearable to read, but It's still early in the run so that might change hopefully. Going on just it's first chapter alone I'm thinking it's not going to make it in Jump had it come out around three years ago it probably could've survived, but going with the current line up of new series this one is certainly one of the bottom few.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Most older fans didn't get far enough to remember anything about it, they dropped it right away after realising the voices and art style were different.

Plus the manga arcs it covered were all pretty bad (with one being infamously nonsensical and impossible to follow) so it was kind of doomed from the start. I thought it was pretty good for what it was though, it made the worst stretch of the manga actually entertaining and is a good for working out what even happened in that one arc.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That certainly was . . . something different then the other new series that's come out so far. I'm going to be as straight forward as possible that was a rough 53 pages to read through, I'm not exactly seeing how this could ever be a battle series, the romance side of the story it's going to be one of those that is almost unbearable to read, but It's still early in the run so that might change hopefully. Going on just it's first chapter alone I'm thinking it's not going to make it in Jump had it come out around three years ago it probably could've survived, but going with the current line up of new series this one is certainly one of the bottom few.
What do you mean it would have survived 3 years ago and not now? The magazine is in a considerably worse position now thats its been in for a quite a long time. They lost 5 very successful series all at once, that's a lot of room to fill, and only one of those spots has been filled for sure with Neverland.

Marie was funny, but not quite as much as I would have hoped. I certainly hope it goes battle eventually as I'm in dire need of a new battle comedy, but it looks like it will focus more on the romance. None of these 4 series have had particularly impactful first chapters that make you think "this will survive". Its a bit of a shame, even if it is an extremely difficult thing to achieve.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you mean it would have survived 3 years ago and not now? The magazine is in a considerably worse position now thats its been in for a quite a long time. They lost 5 very successful series all at once, that's a lot of room to fill, and only one of those spots has been filled for sure with Neverland.

Marie was funny, but not quite as much as I would have hoped. I certainly hope it goes battle eventually as I'm in dire need of a new battle comedy, but it looks like it will focus more on the romance. None of these 4 series have had particularly impactful first chapters that make you think "this will survive". Its a bit of a shame, even if it is an extremely difficult thing to achieve.
It just has the feel of a manga that was meant for an earlier time in the magazine before the situation that it's in now where everything that passes through now has to impress within the first five chapter or it gets the axe.

The romance is probably going to be Tamura's downfall with this one. I agree that this batch isn't the most impactful bunch

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
everything that passes through now has to impress within the first five chapter or it gets the axe.
That's how jump has worked for decades, even going back to the golden age stuff got cancelled within 3-5 months if the first couple chapters weren't impressive enough.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's how jump has worked for decades, even going back to the golden age stuff got cancelled within 3-5 months if the first couple chapters weren't impressive enough.
There was some leeway to work with before all the top sellers ended

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I liked the first chapter and I am going to definitely follow this, but I really hope he switch forms freely instead of getting stuck with that form.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There was some leeway to work with before all the top sellers ended
Not really, Jump has always been like this. It's just suddenly become a big deal because people never knew about it before. Normally at least 50% of new series fail to last 20 chapters, and that's being generous. If anything there's more leeway now. Amalgram and Spring Weapon should have been gone 2 months ago considering their ranks. They stayed because there was enough room for them and Jump wanted to do this consecutive 6 series. Series that have survived to become successes after failing to have in impact in their first 5 chapters can be counted on 1 hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.