Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 252 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What's one thing about the shonen manga fandom that upsets you the most? Honestly it's the shipping wars for me. Can't stand em. The fact that people sent Kishimoto death threats over a fictional pairing is kinda sad to me. Also the "generic" criticism that people throw out when they wanna critic something

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
The 'generic' criticism for sure. You get so many people complaining that certain manga use all these tropes and cliches, but then don't comment on how they actually handle them. It's all in the execution.

ChocoBar9

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
To change the topic, what's everyone's single favourite character design in WSJ? I'll get back to you with mine... still thinking. I'm interested in hearing the answers.
Sogeking from One Piece. Oda is an artist that I have gained appreciate more so over the years than I did back when I was younger first reading the manga and unlike a plethora of artists from WSJ old and new he has a talent to make the most seemingly mundane and unappealing designs look cool without even trying to. Sogeking is literally just Ussop in bandages wearing a silly broken mask and a worn out cape yet its still more badass than say Ichigo's Final Getsuga Tenshō form. It also one of my all time favorite spreads in manga

Shinji Hirako

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Also the "generic" criticism that people throw out when they wanna critic something
This. If I was paid even a small amount for every time I have heard someone say "Naruto gets bad after the the pain arc", "Bleach gets bad after Soul Society" or "One Piece gets boring after the timeskip" using the big three as examples then I would honestly be rich. The most hilarious part is when someone in a forum confronts a person with that generic opinion and they can't elaborate on why it gets bad so they just insult the series further. The more popular a series becomes the more generic the criticism will be unfortunately.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Sogeking is literally just Ussop in bandages
Sogeking and Usopp are LITERALLY two different people :gwah. Usopp is a god and Sogeking is just a sniper.

Sogeking was born in Sniper Island, while Usopp was born in Syrup Village.
-----------------------------

I cannot stand excessive fanboys who cannot see a manga flaws and shipping fanboys. What's worst is author acknowledge the ship and shoving down our throat to satisfy the fan service

Last edited:

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
Designs I don't like are some of the villains in MHA. Hand Face is not the look of a final villain.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's definitely terrifying but he looks more like a man child with the onesie type suit he wears. Overhauls design is much more dangerous and final villain looking, although I dislike the plague mask he wears.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
The 'generic' criticism for sure. You get so many people complaining that certain manga use all these tropes and cliches, but then don't comment on how they actually handle them. It's all in the execution.
Lol, i was a reading a manga a while ago and this one comment caught my attention, he was replying to someone who made a constructive critic post.

At least you're better than those stupid masses that follow the mass and have no brain for their own like
Hater: This sucks
Me: Why?
Hater: ...
Hater: Go f yourself
Me: -_-

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
He's definitely terrifying but he looks more like a man child with the onesie type suit he wears. Overhauls design is much more dangerous and final villain looking, although I dislike the plague mask he wears.
I think that's the point though. He's even described as a man child in the manga. He's growing at the same rate as Izuku. They're both incomplete. I trust Horikoshi that Shigaraki will be a worthy main villain at the end.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
What's one thing about the shonen manga fandom that upsets you the most? Honestly it's the shipping wars for me. Can't stand em. The fact that people sent Kishimoto death threats over a fictional pairing is kinda sad to me. Also the "generic" criticism that people throw out when they wanna critic something
The whole "generic" view people have on things to me isn't really a criticism of something. I know this gets said a lot but as time goes on it gets more and more true "there is no such thing as originality anymore everything has been done before" so the constant complaining that something is generic should really stop it's really annoying.

I cannot stand excessive fanboys who cannot see a manga flaw
I 100% agree with you. How do you guys feel about the people who won't acknowledge the good things a series has even if they don't like the series?

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
One thing I'm kind of worried about is that Academia is going somewhat of a Naraku route with Facepalm so far, every time the situation gets tense and there's about a big confrontation with the MCs he runs away through a portal. I really hope it doesn't keep doing for 100s of chapters.

Sir Isley

Reaction score
Country
United States
To change the topic, what's everyone's single favourite character design in WSJ? I'll get back to you with mine... still thinking. I'm interested in hearing the answers.
While Claymore was a monthly, it did appear in WSJ so it counts technically.

Isley's awakened form is easily one of my favs.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
One thing I'm kind of worried about is that Academia is going somewhat of a Naraku route with Facepalm so far, every time the situation gets tense and there's about a big confrontation with the MCs he runs away through a portal. I really hope it doesn't keep doing for 100s of chapters.
Not just Naraku, all villains of Inuyasha were like that, how easily they were able retreat and the most annoying thing of all, how they leave behind some words like ''see you another time if you survive that's *laughs evil laugh*'' I only re-watch that series for Sesshomaru and Rin, coolest characters ever.

Mawara

Reaction score
Country
Germany
What's one thing about the shonen manga fandom that upsets you the most?
Fanboys & fangirls. Blindly praising their manga, repeatedly saying how awesome/badass something is(Forneverworlds "Dat[Insert Manga]Greatness!" still let my ears bleed) and using their praises to bash other series. For example read a discussion between one OP fan & a Naruto fan. The OP fan attacked the Naruto fan by claiming how bad Naruto is by using only japanese name and that nobody could recall these and so on. I like OP a lot, but this was so embarassing. Geez, it's OK to like something, but dont be a douche because of this.

Ironically many fan theories also upsets me. Mainly because you can tell that the persons who made these are too deep in the materials. They use minor details and look after certain words in dialogues to create their theories. Not I hate these theories per se, but most times I can tell, that they use too much time & energy for theories & ideas, where you can easily guess that the mangaka themselves didnt invest as much in their own stories. I remember complicated & big theories about Naruto & Bleach(what Ichigos Bankai may be), when they were still running. In the end, Naruto ended with a Diabolus Ex Machina(Kaguya) and Bleach ended without many explainations.
Most times I am impressed by fan theories, but at the same time, I also get upset, because I feel how these theories most likely never become true & that the people wasted their time for these.

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
Horikoshi is writing Shigaraki in a way that he's growing and developing along with Deku (the parallels hes doing between the 2 is pretty cool). In the beginning he was just incompetent and childish, Overhaul even told him up front that couldn't handle his underlings, however ever since AFO defeat he seems to be growing in intellect, and I think he'll turn the tables and manipulate Overhaul for his own gain. I honestly find it fascinating.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Nuff said... I HATE this... People prefers to wonder about ships instead of what actually happens within the series.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
What's one thing about the shonen manga fandom that upsets you the most?
Comparing series. Especially modern battle shounen to Dragonball or the "Big 3", and this thread favorite MHA vs Black Clover.

Sometime, I am guilty of this to so i'm not going to try and deny that.

I identify myself as a blue ocean so I feed on the salt of shipping fandoms to sustain myself :derp.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Comparing series. Especially modern battle shounen to Dragonball or the "Big 3", and this thread favorite MHA vs Black Clover.

Sometime, I am guilty of this to so i'm not going to try and deny that.

I identify myself as a blue ocean so I feed on the salt of shipping fandoms to sustain myself :derp.
MHA vs Black Clover is the new black.

Status
Not open for further replies.