Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 254 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I liked Robot x Laserbeam, it was smooth, well explained and I liked Robot, he reminds me a bit of Saitama because he doesn't care about anything. XD
Well, it sure has a math behind perfect hits and swings in sports, but it's easier said than done. hahaha
In any case, if it serves the purpose of making me learn more about golf, that's good enough even though it's exaggerated.

RafaFedKilla

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I liked Robot x Laserbeam, it was smooth, well explained and I liked Robot, he reminds me a bit of Saitama because he doesn't care about anything. XD
Well, it sure has a math behind perfect hits and swings in sports, but it's easier said than done. hahaha
In any case, if it serves the purpose of making me learn more about golf, that's good enough even though it's exaggerated.
What do you think Miura's power will be?

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
What's one thing about the shonen manga fandom that upsets you the most? Honestly it's the shipping wars for me. Can't stand em. The fact that people sent Kishimoto death threats over a fictional pairing is kinda sad to me. Also the "generic" criticism that people throw out when they wanna critic something
here's my theory about shipping wars, people seek in fiction what their real life is missing
someone who constantly seek romance everywhere or people who constantly post about their waifus probably never talked to a girl before
basically their delusions are probably all they got

so when someone take this delusion from them they lose their shit

Here's a cool video on the making of WSJ's cover.
my respect for their graphic designer went waaaaaaaaaaaay up

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Weekly WSJ Manga Sales Rankings:
9. Haikyu!! 25
18. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma 23
29. World Trigger 18
37. Black Clover 10
84. Kimetsu no Yaiba 5
205. Samon the Summoner 8
288. Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~ 13

Mawara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think you have the words mixed up as its because he's the opposite of apathetic and lethargic that he wanted to save Eri. He couldn't leave a little girl with a terrified look on her face and covered in bandages crying "Don't go" that he almost put his and Mirio's life in danger. He's too empathetic and compassionate that it causes problems because his hero instinct kicks in and causes him to immediately act. This is completely the opposite to what you described him as. What you want is a Light type MC. Unfortunately, if Deku was like that, he would have not gotten OFA and we would not have the story in Jump. All Might chose him because he's the kind of guy that will jump in without thinking to save others even if its a suicide mission, similar to All Might himself. Its a very Shonen Jump like trait thats in plenty of MCs but its the reason why the story is what it is and has lasted this long. People on 2ch have also called arrogant and even uppity for these traits because he doesn't have power to back up his actions but building up the power is also a part of the series.
That's why I dont really get the reasoning of people disliking him. I mean, I DO get their reasoning, but this is an actual character flaw, which a maincharacter like him should have. He wants to be the best of all heroes and needs to learn how to be a good hero first. After all, I can relate to Deku in this very moment, where he wanted to save a CHILD from a guy he knew is a criminal. His reactions make sense & I like him, because of that, he is a good guy after all, even if it wasnt that smart. On the contrary, if he didnt react like that & werent worried for the kid, it would've damaged him much more in my eyes.
This situation wasnt black/white, both sides(Acting now & saving the gir/Dont do anything & let them go)l had their points.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
If his character was perfect, there will be a complains, if he has a flaw, there will be complains, i think Deku needs to work on his charm more :-P

Anway, i like Horikoshi's plans for Shigaraki, villain growing up along with the main character, being immature together, get developments together, have we ever had that kind of villains in Jump before? Usually those villains are those that are heroes at the beginning and turned a full villain at the end, but can't remember one that was a full villain from the beginning.

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
That's why I dont really get the reasoning of people disliking him. I mean, I DO get their reasoning, but this is an actual character flaw, which a maincharacter like him should have. He wants to be the best of all heroes and needs to learn how to be a good hero first. After all, I can relate to Deku in this very moment, where he wanted to save a CHILD from a guy he knew is a criminal. His reactions make sense & I like him, because of that, he is a good guy after all, even if it wasnt that smart. On the contrary, if he didnt react like that & werent worried for the kid, it would've damaged him much more in my eyes.
This situation wasnt black/white, both sides(Acting now & saving the gir/Dont do anything & let them go)l had their points.
Exactly. I love the theme of conflict of what a hero actually should be. There is a disconnect between what readers see a hero as, and what a professional hero is in the manga's world. Again, Horikoshi wasn't lying when he said that Stain would continue to be important. I'm just curious if Hori is actually going to make a concrete statement in the manga of what type of hero is actually better, but I assume he won't and will make some compromise.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
What do you think Miura's power will be?
Who is Miura? I will never remember the names of all characters after one chapter, Robo is special because they really said his name a lot of times. hahaha
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I don't buy this excuse that he is still developing as a hero, everybody in the story seems to be more reasonable.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I was catching up with some titles on Jump Plus

Kanata no Astra kids are already on the 4th planet, when the manga started they said it will take them 5 planet to return home, how long will this last? they introduced a new ship and an astronaut so I guess they can keep exploring this subplot for a while

Fire Punch is in its last stretch too and so is Karada Sagashi

KnB prequel have adapted 3 out of the 6 novels so judging by the pace it needs 6 more volumes to finish, it's going to be hilarious if this somehow outlives RxL

and yeah, the new manga Shuukyoku Engage is being set up to replace Fire Punch is the shock-factor manga

while the first chapter has its shocking moments it doesn't measure up to the impact of Fire Punch first chapter imo, so we will see how it does

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
The thing with the mindset of ''Act without a second thought and save a life even if it triggers the deaths of many'' is that, it's a double edged sword, if this was a seinen manga, the main character would have definitely fallen in a situation were he'd have caused a tragedy of many.

But this is a shounen, one way or another main character will choose that mindset and still get away with it smoothly, because our hero is a kid that wants to become a superhero in a shounen magazine, and the author will never create such predicament situation where the kid would have a blood on his hands. And that's why i don't take too seriously of this conflicts, at the end of the day, main character will stick to his mindset and prove to everyone that his way is right.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Kanata no Astra kids are already on the 4th planet, when the manga started they said it will take them 5 planet to return home, how long will this last? they introduced a new ship and an astronaut so I guess they can keep exploring this subplot for a while
I've been reading the english chapters which I think are 1.5 behind but I feel like the journey home might only part one, there's clearly some sort of big conspiracy going on and I get a strong impression that things aren't just going to be all nice and happy once they get back (perhaps with it doing the same thing as Neverland is planned for and switching genres once their first goal is accomplished). There's certainly a chance that it's only planned for 50 chapters or something and getting back home is the final goal but I can see it going a lot longer.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Did Astra turn out to be any good? Ive always been interested because of the author, and it sounds interesting but I never bothered to read it.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I'm really enjoying it, the cast is pretty fun and designs of all the different worlds they're going are creative and interesting.

The drama can be a bit soap opera-y at times but if you liked Sket Dance that shouldn't bother you (plus it's an entertaining kind of over the top drama anyway).

Kave

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Estimated (17d)

*58,830 Kuroko no Basuke: Replace Plus 6
*47,916 Fire Punch 4
*44,100 Shokugeki no Souma: L'étoile 4
*40,232 Let's! Haikyuu!? 4
*37,926 Samon-kun wa Summoner 8
*37,839 Karada Sagashi 12
*22,161 Isobe Isobee Monogatari 13
*20,358 Akuma no Memumemu-chan 2
*12,799 Makui no Rease 1

Memumemu and Firepunch doing pretty well
Samon sales keep getting worse

SkerllyFC

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
Is it me, or women can write better shonen series than men? I´m watching Blue Exorcist, and even when the series is less action and more talking, what impresses me are the worldbuilding sorrounding the religions and demons, the character interactions and backstories, and drama. All of this makes any fight in the series have the weight and tension it needs to be compelling. This is something that the average shonen written by men forgets, to make the reasons behind the fights to be compelling and undestandable, instead of concentrating on making the fights compelling by the use of powers or techniques. It´s said that for a fight to be a true good one, it needs a well developed motivation to happen. There´s also FMA and Inuyasha, who also put more attention to worldbuilding and characters rather than the fights. What´s your opinion about this topic? And would you see more women writing shonen series on Jump? And which female author from Jump you think is writing a good shonen?

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it me, or women can write better shonen series than men? I´m watching Blue Exorcist, and even when the series is less action and more talking, what impresses me are the worldbuilding sorrounding the religions and demons, the character interactions and backstories, and drama. All of this makes any fight in the series have the weight and tension it needs to be compelling. This is something that the average shonen written by men forgets, to make the reasons behind the fights to be compelling and undestandable, instead of concentrating on making the fights compelling by the use of powers or techniques. It´s said that for a fight to be a true good one, it needs a well developed motivation to happen. There´s also FMA and Inuyasha, who also put more attention to worldbuilding and characters rather than the fights. What´s your opinion about this topic? And would you see more women writing shonen series on Jump? And which female author from Jump you think is writing a good shonen?
I don't really feel one way or the other in regards to who is better so long as the story is interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing more women writing for Jump.

I know that Blue Exorsist is a shounen but to me it reads more like a Seinen series I think that's the reason it has better writing then a lot of other shounen out there.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's not quite that simple I think. It does seem like female authors don't fall into the trap of using as many tropes as your average series does. Their series seem to be more structured in general. But it could also be that there aren't as many female mangaka, so the ones we do know about are the ones that have earned their popularity. Furudate and Gotouge seem to be doing a pretty damn good job for themselves though. You can't say males can't write as well though.

On Blue Exorcist, while it has done a great job at building it's world and characters, it hasn't done a whole lot with them considering how long the series has been going on for. That's something most anime only watchers don't realise. There has only really been like 1 big event that's occured since the arc covered in the second season finished and it's been like 50-60 chapters (>4 years). Imo the series has only really had 2 arcs that seem to push the story forward, which some series have within their first year of serialisation... It's like the series constantly builds itself, but never climaxes. Absolutely snail-pace pacing, one of the most noticeable of any series i've read. Comparing it to other monthly series of a similar length just makes me think what the hell has the author been doing this entire time? It has been incredibly disappointing for me in that regard. Not bad by any means, just a complete waste of it's own potential and it's like grinding teeth reading it.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I couldn't care less about what a mangaka have between his/her legs... I want good stories.

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it me, or women can write better shonen series than men?
I´m watching Blue Exorcist,

Katou outright sucks at pacing and making an engaging conflict with her characters because its obvious that she does not plan her story arcs or has a really bad editor. The Kyoto arc in particular is the apex of her own incompetency because it doesn't get remotely watchable/readable until the latter half but by then the characters who were clogging up screentime wind up amounting to absolutely nothing making you wonder why did she focus so much on them? Her character writing is also all over the place where her side characters wind up being more interesting than her main cast but you barely get any time with them to care. You couldn't have picked a worse example.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
there are good writers and bad writers in both gender
for every Tanabe Yellow there's an Akira Amano

I don't think Blue Exorcist, DGM, Rinne are all that good
I like Magi and Tsubasa Chronicle but I know that a lot of people have problem with them
bad male writers stand out more cause there are more of them

Did Astra turn out to be any good? Ive always been interested because of the author, and it sounds interesting but I never bothered to read it.
it's fine, nothing too special just like tirakai said, the characters' interactions carries the series
the manga is trying to do the NGE thing where the setting is a background decoration and the real hook is the charchters mental struggle
however it's not doing a good job at it and it comes out silly, every characters have daddy or mommy issue
and the parents are comicbooks' villains' evil

Status
Not open for further replies.