Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 510 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
@Styx it was announced awhile ago it was in its last arc http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-07-07/gintama-manga-enters-final-arc/.104053

I don't see Food Wars ending anytime soon but you guys been speculating that since earlier in the year so maybe it could/should next year
It is astonishing, but when they actually announce the """final """ arc is when it takes the most to end the thing already. XD
Unless it is something like Naruto which stated that it was going to end in X chapters, then there is no escape. At least in this item I give Kishimoto credit, he planned the end of the series.

It is just haters who don't like the series and think it will end just because of that, there is no base for their opinion story-wise, sales-wise or ranking-wise.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
World Trigger in the top 20 last year and the first half this year. How is that "little popularity?"

Also, the magazine is anything but cramped.
Returning to hiatus
  • Hunter x Hunter
Ending imminent
  • Hinomaru Zumou
  • Gintama
  • Shokugeki no Souma
Dead Series Walking
  • Spring Weapon No.01
  • Shudan!
  • Hungry Marie
  • Cross Account
HAHAHAHAHAHA....good joke mate, but SnS isn't even close to being over.

No seriously, if you think SnS is on it's last arc then I have a bridge to sell to you.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Wait, wait, wait...okay I can see the others, but Gintama is ending? Wow.

And Hunter x Hunter is already in another hiatus? Didn't it just come back?
Gintama is ending soon(TM).

No, the OP is posting bait here by listing SnS.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
HAHAHAHAHAHA....good joke mate, but SnS isn't even close to being over.

No seriously, if you think SnS is on it's last arc then I have a bridge to sell to you.

Gintama is ending soon(TM).

No, the OP is posting bait here by listing SnS.
If you say so. The sales are dropping and rankings haven't been doing well. Depends on what you view as "soon"

The OP never said it's on the last arc, just the series ending is soon. I think it'll end pretty soon, within a year or maybe a bit more.

I hope you aren't using those tweets/interviews as a reason why SnS isn't close to ending. Not everything a mangaka has planned for his story can come to fruition and/or it's just speculation by the fandom that it'll last long.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Yeah, the game's pretty cool. I remember that in reddit, at least I think it was reddit, maybe it was just /a/, there was a thread where all buttons and stats and such were explained/translated by somebody.

Yeah, it had a weak start, I think its first volume sales didn't even made it into the top50 Oricon ranking, though that might have been because it was sold for like 3 days or so. But its last volume nearly got 400k sales or so before dropping out of Oricon rankings. That and it seems to got quite a lot of merchandise, there are even WT shoes you can buy, so it must have some fanbase who buys this stuff in a reasonable number for them to be made. Also Toei showed future WT happenings, like Hyuse working together with Osamu and Yuuma carrying Chika in a horse-battle. And I'm pretty sure the anime didn't ended with Hyuse joining Osamu's team yet. If Toei hints on it like that, they might want to continue the anime, if they get more stuff to animated that is.

I remember, I remember losing a lot of hair, wondering when I would read "WT ends next chapter" during its first 20-30 or so chapters.
I was talking about as of recently/post-anime. It's been doing very well. It's pretty underrated.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
If you say so. The sales are dropping and rankings haven't been doing well. Depends on what you view as "soon"

The OP never said it's on the last arc, just the series ending is soon. I think it'll end pretty soon, within a year or maybe a bit more.

I hope you aren't using those tweets/interviews as a reason why SnS isn't close to ending. Not everything a mangaka has planned for his story can come to fruition and/or it's just speculation by the fandom that it'll last long.

I was talking about as of recently/post-anime. It's been doing very well. It's pretty underrated.
She doesn't "say so", it is a fact.
Rankings from the most recent to the oldest until #1/2017:
4 10 3 6 CP 10 8 6 CP 5 5 6 CP 3 7 14 8 CP 4 4 CP 5 9 10 9 12 9

TOP 5: 8
6-10: 11
11~: 1

I don't know what metrics you are using, but Shokugeki no Soma looks healthy in rankings. There were series that went much much much worse and took ages to be finally forced out of the magazine. It was in top 5 8 times in 30 or so issues, above 10th place in 19 of them. Sales has been decreasing for mostly every old series, we don't know how many transfered to digital so sales are not a very conclusive argument, even so, it is selling better than the majority of the magazine, so why Shueisha would cancel it?

Refute this and we can talk about Shokugeki no Soma ending, otherwise it is just baseless hate. If the series is going to end, it will be from the authors own volition, which is hard to believe because the series doesn't give any signal of this, Shueisha will not force them to rush, that I'm sure.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
but the numbers came from Oricon yearly sales who counts copies sold not even the print number. And 3.3 million copies is a lot to be off
That's what I'm talking about, Oricon is estimates based on the market and not actual sales data. It's generally assumed to be accurate, but if they say one thing and Shueisha says another then you listen to Shueisha.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

So Soma is going to complete all of his goals within a year?

That's ludicrous.

If you understand economics, SnS is a big seller. That means WSJ is not going to push the series to a conclusion anytime soon unless the author really screws up.

Rankings have decent for awhile now, what are you talking about?

shoyoboyo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
lol there's no way Souma is ending "soon", it still looks like it has 100-200 chapters to go. Unless it somehow crashes worse than notAizen's introduction arc, then it will continue.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
She doesn't "say so", it is a fact.
Rankings from the most recent to the oldest until #1/2017:
4 10 3 6 CP 10 8 6 CP 5 5 6 CP 3 7 14 8 CP 4 4 CP 5 9 10 9 12 9

TOP 5: 8
6-10: 11
11~: 1

I don't know what metrics you are using, but Shokugeki no Soma looks healthy in rankings. There were series that went much much much worse and took ages to be finally forced out of the magazine. It was in top 5 8 times in 30 or so issues, above 10th place in 19 of them. Sales has been decreasing for mostly every old series, we don't know how many transfered to digital so sales are not a very conclusive argument, even so, it is selling better than the majority of the magazine, so why Shueisha would cancel it?

Refute this and we can talk about Shokugeki no Soma ending, otherwise it is just baseless hate. If the series is going to end, it will be from the authors own volition, which is hard to believe because the series doesn't give any signal of this, Shueisha will not force them to rush, that I'm sure.
I mentioned sales/rankings. Never really kept up with the series rankings but yeah it's improving (even though it still was in the bottom 5 a couple times). I thought it had more or less the same rankings from 2016.

Sales are dropping. The whole switch to digital sales would be likely if we knew an amount. A series declining will eventually get cancelled. I don't think it'll be one of the big top sellers in a year - year & half time, if it's going at this rate. I'll see how it does in the yearly manga/franchise sales to be more conclusive on this. A lot of newer series are obviously at a bigger risk than Shokugeki but I still could see it ending in the next year & 1/2 or 2 tops.

That's ludicrous.

If you understand economics, SnS is a big seller. That means WSJ is not going to push the series to a conclusion anytime soon unless the author really screws up.

Rankings have decent for awhile now, what are you talking about?
Yeah, a year to a year and 1/2 is my prediction. 2 year could happen but a bit of a stretch, just my prediction. I don't think it should last longer than 2 years for sure, that's ridiculous.

Big seller that's declining*. While I think the ending will be a bit rushed but even if it wasn't I don't see why it'll last long. I get the impression you think it's going to last a few years. Really?

You're right, that must've been my hopes since I want this series to end. :teehee

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I mentioned sales/rankings. Never really kept up with the series rankings but yeah it's improving (even though it still was in the bottom 5 a couple times). I thought it had more or less the same rankings from 2016.

Sales are dropping. The whole switch to digital sales would be likely if we knew an amount. A series declining will eventually get cancelled. I don't think it'll be one of the big top sellers in a year - year & half time, if it's going at this rate. I'll see how it does in the yearly manga/franchise sales to be more conclusive on this. A lot of newer series are obviously at a bigger risk than Shokugeki but I still could see it ending in the next year & 1/2 or 2 tops.

Yeah, a year to a year and 1/2 is my prediction. 2 year could happen but a bit of a stretch, just my prediction. I don't think it should last longer than 2 years for sure, that's ridiculous.

Big seller that's declining*. While I think the ending will be a bit rushed but even if it wasn't I don't see why it'll last long. I get the impression you think it's going to last a few years. Really?

You're right, that must've been my hopes since I want this series to end. :teehee
Ok, so you're just a hater that isn't being honest with the data. There is no reason for me to debate you any longer.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
lol there's no way Souma is ending "soon", it still looks like it has 100-200 chapters to go. Unless it somehow crashes worse than notAizen's introduction arc, then it will continue.
He is trying to convince everybody and himself that Shokugeki no Soma is going to end soon, but failing miserably. Let's just move on.

Haikyuu is one I'm very late and it had the feeling of ending with the National and all that. It continues with this feeling or they moved on already? Without spoilers if possible.

razerxs

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Republic
Honestly I picked the series randomly but it does give off all the cliche final arc vibes.
What goals does Soma even have?
  • Have a restaurant - outside series' scope
  • Surpass his father - lol no
  • Have the Nakiris acknowledge his cooking - current arc
  • Enter the elite 10 - current arc
I'm not sure what y'all are expecting from it. Don't say international saga because the fancy foreign judges are also current arc.
Haikyuu is one I'm very late and it had the feeling of ending with the National and all that. It continues with this feeling or they moved on already? Without spoilers if possible.
The matches are getting longer but not more important. If this is the final arc, it'll take years.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Ok, so you're just a hater that isn't being honest with the data. There is no reason for me to debate you any longer.
Yes, a hater who expects a series to end a year or 2 from now rather than now. That last sentence in my previous post was a obvious joke if you read what I said to the other guy.

Mind telling me how SnS will last potentially another 200 chapters? Don't confuse your expectations with what you want. That's not being realistic.

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Honestly I picked the series randomly but it does give off all the cliche final arc vibes.

What goals does Soma even have?
  • Have a restaurant - outside series' scope
  • Surpass his father - lol no
  • Have the Nakiris acknowledge his cooking - current arc
  • Enter the elite 10 - current arc
I'm not sure what y'all are expecting from it. Don't say international saga because the fancy foreign judges are also current arc.

The matches are getting longer but not more important. If this is the final arc, it'll take years.
I would argue the plausibility of an international saga because IT WAS HINTED A COUPLE OF TIMES ALREADY.

Soma's Goals:

* Becoming the Head Chef of Yukihira - Requires surpassing his dad WHICH WILL HAPPEN AT THE END. THIS IS BASIC SHOUNEN STORYTELLING.

* Have Erina acknowledge his cooking - Again, that's predictably going to be a series closer, when he can surpass her idol.

* TAKE THE FIRST SEAT - That's not going to happen in this current arc after they win the Regiment de Cuisine.

So your suggestion that the series is nearing a close end is laughable and insulting.

And even then, the author confirmed that Soma's goals expand over time, so saying this arc is a cliche end is pure folly.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It is not the right place to discuss Shokugeki no Soma story, but I will make it short.
Do you really think that things will end when the get into Elite Ten? This is just the beginning. The main objective for Souma is to be able to win against his father and we know from recent scrimmages between them that Souma is not even near to get to his level yet. With all this tension against the resistance and Central people are maybe forgetting, but his exam is intended to be the exam to make the students who pass go to the second year, the second year of three years. As I said, Elite Ten is just the beginning and it is clear why. We can see by the other Elite Ten members that their world are much broader than the other students since they have financial help from Tootsuki to make their research and all that, they go on trips and all that. Souma and the others, as Elite Ten members, will have to opportunity to reach places they haven't reached yet, broadening the world of the series as a whole. There is a lot of things to explore. The series will not end before they go to the professional world and Souma become a cook that can compete with his father.
There is all the plot involving Souma's father and his mother as well, but this is another matter and it is already getting long.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Apparently it's insulting to suggest that the series could within a year or 2 span. The same author who wrote probably one of the worst shonen arcs, the central arc, is expected to write potentially for another several years.

International saga has a low chance, much like Toriko's space saga that everyone dreamed of. It could even end where Soma is implied to head off international, kinda like how Toriko ended but not on the same level of writing as Toriko's ending.

razerxs

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Republic
I'll just leave this brief. Those continuations aren't as workable you think they'd be.
  • International arc - After beating the top students at the top cooking school in the world, you want a no-stakes tournament arc with a whole new cast of jobbers. The world-building for the series is already the worst part.
  • Graduation - He's already beaten second/third years, real chefs, and is fighting the school itself. This ain't a school manga.
  • Soma vs Erina - should be immediately after the current arc
  • Soma vs Father - begging to be off-screened

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeh, I struggle to see what Soma has left after this arc. I dont necessarily think its ending soon, probably at least 2 years away. But he's already facing off against the Elite Ten and the top spots at that. And this is only their first year, what higher stakes can you get? In their 2nd and 3rd year there will be no one left to fight... Its not the kind of series that will follow him out of school either.

Haikyuu is also probably in its final arc, if it wasn't it probably wouldnt be making everyone so OP and dragging so much. Saying that, at this current pacing of 16 or so chapters a set, this could still have hundreds of chs just for this tournament...

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I'll just leave this brief. Those continuations aren't as workable you think they'd be.
  • International arc - After beating the top students at the top cooking school in the world, you want a no-stakes tournament arc with a whole new cast of jobbers. The world-building for the series is already the worst part.
  • Graduation - He's already beaten second/third years, real chefs, and is fighting the school itself. This ain't a school manga.
  • Soma vs Erina - should be immediately after the current arc
  • Soma vs Father - begging to be off-screened
Yeah, I can't you seriously at all. You're just pushing a narrative that isn't there nor is believable.
Yeh, I struggle to see what Soma has left after this arc. I dont necessarily think its ending soon, probably at least 2 years away. But he's already facing off against the Elite Ten and the top spots at that. And this is only their first year, what higher stakes can you get? In their 2nd and 3rd year there will be no one left to fight... Its not the kind of series that will follow him out of school either.

Haikyuu is also probably in its final arc, if it wasn't it probably wouldnt be making everyone so OP and dragging so much. Saying that, at this current pacing of 16 or so chapters a set, this could still have hundreds of chs just for this tournament...
Except literally there was a chapter about a proposed tournament that screams for him to compete in. And if you actually read the series, it's predictable that the series can follow him outside of the school.

This arc isn't the premise of the story, it's the climax for Erina's character development. That's clear as day,

I am not going to argue this anymore, since it's clear to me your and razerxs understanding on SnS is rather surface level with little proper analysis.

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
So Neverland isn't getting a color page next week, just a crossword poster.
Also preview for Saiki author's oneshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.