Voting Round 3 - Black Clover vs. One Piece | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 3 Black Clover vs. One Piece

Who wins?

• Black Clover

• One Piece

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MArGi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France

Black Clover
Tabata Yuuki

-

One Piece
Eiichiro Oda

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am supporting OP here. I read some of Black Clover when it came out and while I don't know how much better it got, I did not feel like it brought almost anything new to WSJ. OP has its fair share of issues post TS IMO, but it does have a very long track record of solid writing to its name.

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There were once fish that could fly and monkeys that could swim, rocks that floated like the wind.

I guess what I am trying to say is that One Piece is going to win.

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
As much as I like Black Clover and that is fairly different to what we have, it has too many issues with pacing and not showing things like training (which is important to a manga like this!). One Piece is vastly superior in most aspects. In fact, One Piece is vastly superior to most manga. It is the modern Dragon Ball, which many have tried to do but have failed.

So, One Piece and all its glory gets my vote.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I love Black Clover. It's a great manga. It's 10 years too soon for it to challenge One Piece. Besides One Piece is my contingency plan. If OPM is unable to hold back the dark tide of depressed chibi's from Neverland, which I have kind of a bad feeling about, I intend to have One Piece to hold that line for the sake of us all.

I call this plan... Operation Sweet Glorious Revenge

+1 vote One Piece

Last edited:

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Well what do i do now. My nominee which Im very fond of, is facing my very childhood and THE manga, the alpha and omega of shonen itself.

One Piece was always fire and had that magical pull that was unavoidable for anyone who was seeking a story about an epic adventure. But for some reason some of that magic got kinda lost after the TS. Even though it still has many amazing stuff happening in the New World, Im still waiting for those lost sparks that will give One Piece that old magic which made it my fav shonen. Nonetheless, it remains as one of my fav manga ever and it will probably remain as that no matter what.

Having said that, I will still support Black Clover till the end. For me, Black Clover is an awesome manga which gets better and better after every arc and it doesnt deserve the hate it gets. By nominating it in this event i was hoping to promote it and maybe even get people to read it (of course the ones who like this kind of genre). In the end it passed through to the third round so i guess the manga was at the very least noticed and I am very thankful for the votes.

Now, on a side note
-_-; seeing how badly FT got decimated, Black Clover will get rolfstomped considering its close fight against Tomo-chan and the ongoing hate for the anime. Basically its like that famous saying: its one hundred years too early for a new shonen to challange One Piece.
Do i even need to campaign for BC anymore since no matter what ill post it wont even matter. Its basically a wrap lmao :D but it was a good run.

I guess i will put here my usual promo which was present from the beginning. It wont change a thing, but at the very least it will have info for anyone whos interested.

Black Clover is a shonen manga series written and illustrated by Yuki Tabata (the creator of Hungry Joker). If I would describe this manga in a sentence I would say; Black clover is a combination of Naruto 1st part glory days (not Shippuden), a tiny bit of Boku no Hero and everything that was good about Fairy tail, set in a fantasy medieval world full of magic and adventure.

Once your hooked, the manga is extremely easy and fun to read, and believe me it won't take long to get into it if you like that kind of series. Anyone who likes magic, adventure, comedy, epicness and great battles (with no asspulls or bs whatsoever) will very quickly get on board. But of course, everyone has their own preferences, and maybe some people will not find it that appealing, which is fair enough. To each his own i always say.

I am very fond of this manga. Its probably the first ever manga i followed since its chapter 1 release. Basically when Naruto and Hungry Joker ended, Black Clover started and I was imediately on bord. It really grew on me and now its probably one of my fav shonen series. If your a fan of magic and adventure you should definitely pick it up :super plus you can also vote :smile-big

The main cast

The main character which is the series centered around is Asta. He is a young boy who lives in an orphanage and aspires to become a magic knight and eventually become the Magic Emperor who guards the Clover Kingdom from any danger. Also by becoming the Magic Emperor he wants to get rid of discrimination against the common low folk.
But the only problem is, in this world where magic power is everything, he doesn't posses any magic, non whatsoever. Sounds familiar right. Many people compare him to Naruto (or even Midoriya) and are angry about it, which is understandable, but after a few chapters you will see the difference between the protagonists.
But now comes the interesting question; if Asta cannot use magic, how does he fight, or how does he even plan to become a magic knight. The answer lies in the finishing pages of chapter 1, where he acquires an absurd and awesome power that is the very counter to magic itself.

The deuteragonist of this series is Asta's childhood friend and rival, Yuno. He lives in the same orphanage, and like Asta he aspires to become the Magic Emperor. But, unlike Asta, Yuno is a genius and a prodigy in magic. Does this also sound familiar. Of course it does. The generic prodigy rival of the loser that is the main character. But unlike some shonen character of the same rival type, Yuno greatly respects Asta and considers him his best friend, brother and greatest rival.

The lead female of Black Clover is Noelle. She is a royal from House Silva and the youngest daugter of the famous Steel War Princess Acier Silva. Like every royal, she has a tremendously high magic power. She was supposed to join her brothers and sister in the magic knight order Silver Eagle, but because of her incapability of controling her vast magic power she was shunned by her family and refused by the SIlver Eagle. Thus in the end she joined the notorious Black Bulls where she began her new goal of training her magic control and kicking her siblings asses.

The other characters

OK, now after comparing it to Naruto, comes the comparison to Fairy Tail. In the manga the characters are selected into certain magic knight orders each lead by a captain who is directly under the command of the Magic Emperor. Those magic orders can be considered as guilds cuz every order has their main HQ where they live.

After the hilarious and very funny knight selection exam, Asta manages to become a member of the magic knight order Black Bulls who are notorious for being the most vial and most crazy of all orders. On the other hand Yuno was selected into Golden Dawn, the strongest and most famous magic squad in Clover Kingdom.

And so after the selection, we get to know the other characters. I must say, I like every character that we got introduced to so far. Every character is very likable. There are all sorts of shonen types in those squads and all are done right. The most unique character for me, and my fav character in the series is the captain of the Black Bulls, Yami. This man is freaking epic and badass and at the same time he is extremely funny and hilarious. He is probably the most badass and most funniest character in the series.

The world

The story is set in a fantasy medieval world. The main cast serve as magic knights of the Clover Kingdom. But there are also other kingdoms, like the military aggressive Diamond Kingdom, Spade Kingdom and so on …

As i mentioned, magic is everything in this world, so possessing more magical power gives you a higher status and more rights, while anyone with low magic power has lower status and is considered a slum rat. This also adds another interesting plot point of discrimination which is mentioned many times through the series and will surely be handled in the future.

In this world the main tool to become a magic knight is a magic tome or grimoire. Every year there is a ceremony in which certain grimoire select their user, kinda like the wands from Harry Potter. After the grimoire select you, you can become a magic knight and grow stronger as a mage. Every grimoire has one type of magic, and every time you learn a spell and progress in magic the grimoire grows. In the Clover Kingdom, on almost every Grimoire, a three-leaf clover symbol is inscribed, but there also exist the four-leaf clover grimore of legends which was possessed by the first magic emperor. The one who posses the four-leaf clover grimoire is destined with great power and luck, and to become the next magic emperor.

The fights

The nonstop action and fights are probably the thing Black Clover is most known for. The manga has really great fights, and every fight is really well choreographed. Team fights are more frequent in the series, but they are really awesome. There is no bs or major asspulls in the fights, and most importantly no silly one-shots against the main villains.

Fanservice

Luckily fanservice isnt a major thing in BC. There are very few moments with fanservice and its not shoved into your reading from out of nowhere. Its placed rather well, like your taking a brake after a hard fought fight. If I recall there are only 2 chapters, out of 128 chapters, and a few manga covers that are fanservice oriented. Also there is a female character with a running gag of being fanservice, but its not distracting or bad fanservice, its rather hilarious, and that female character is one of the best female characters in the series. Me, im not that into fanservice. Lets just say i dont dislike it, but too much of it can be distracting to the story, at least for me. I know there are some who really like fanservice, so i made this to show you what your deling with in BC.

I guess i should put a pic for the thirsty ones. Open it on your own riks.

Comedy

The comedy in BC is awesome. It had some moments i was laughing my ass of every time i read it, and it still delivers.
Just to show, this is what happend last time:

In the middle of fightning in the tournament, a dude was transported by a spacial mage directly into the bathroom where the Captain of the Black Bulls was taking a dump. Since its the insane and crazy captain of the Black Bulls, you can guess what happend afterwards to that poor dude.
There are of course many more of this, but thats it for this section.

Overall

Great shonen series, with very likable characters, awesome fights, great comedy, emotional and epic moments, but of course with some cliche and generic shonen plot points, character motivations and goals. There are flaws in the series, i won't denie them, but if you love this type of manga you will overlook them very quickly.

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
One of these series has a catchy English rap (He's made of rubber) while the other has Asta screaming most of the first episode.

One Piece is my vote

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Black Clover, because it STILL manages to stay entertaining to date. One Piece turned into a snooze fest post timeskip.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
One of these series has a catchy English rap (He's made of rubber) while the other has Asta screaming most of the first episode.

One Piece is my vote
Oh gods that rap. :notlikethis 4kids dub shouldn't be allowed to be mentioned ever.
That was pretty much my impression of Black Clover's first episode as well (never watched further). Though both of your arguments are entirely based on the anime and this is the Manga Wars... but I'll take it as long as it's +1 for One Piece. :luffy

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Black clover

So that BC doesn't get one-sided massacre.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm voting for Naruto Tail- I mean Black Clover. Asta's annoying af voice in the anime aside, from what I've read of the manga (40 odd chapters) it stays exciting and is a really enjoyable ride. One Piece on the other hand hasn't interested me as much from the start so BC gets my vote here.

MonkeyD-Dragon

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
One Piece, One extra vote.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
This is round three. I've said a lot about the world-building, the detailed politics, the wide cast of incredible characters, the great themes and even the art of One Piece.

Let's be honest, you don't want to hear me go on and on about that again. Well maybe you do need more convincing but I'll save that for if someone calls me out on it.

Instead I'll take a break from that this round, and cater to a demographic I've neglected and might have gotten a bit on the bad side of.

Never say I don't try to give everyone what they want. Because for all I've said about fan service and waifus, One Piece does have them as well.

(And let's face it, the story and universe isn't the only thing constantly expanding in this series.
)

So, are you a Nami person? :hurr

Or maybe Robin?

Or why not both?

There's also Luffy's own waifu, Boa Hancock.

And if you're a certain global mod with a taste for lolis, well... we've got'em. @Sky

(And she's legal, too!)

Oh, you're more into men, are you? Well we've got schmexy dudes as well.

Now listen guys. I just sold my soul. I think that's worth a vote, don't you?

Last edited:

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I wonder who that certain global is? :kappa

Anyhow. BC disqualifies itself by being a horrible FT rip off alone by shouting "A believing heart is my magic." That is cringey even by SJ standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.